Remember me
▼ Content

We passed the tipping point on climate change in 1901

We passed the tipping point on climate change in 190130-09-2015 22:30
trafnProfile picture★★★☆☆
(779)
There's lots of talk today about the tipping point (of no return) for climate change and whether or not we've passed it. Discussions usually focus around rising atmospheric CO2 levels, melting polar caps or rising sea levels. But I believe we passed the tipping point on climate change back on January 10, 1901 at 10:30 a.m. when the Lucas One oil well came in at Spindletop, Texas. This was an oil well like no other in history. On January 10, 1901:

1. It was estimated to be producing about 80,000 to 100,000 barrels per day.

2. It was producing more oil than over half the oils wells in the U.S. combined.

3. It put the U.S. ahead of Russia in global oil production (the day before, Russia was pumping about 250,000 barrels per day and the U.S. only 180,000).

4. If you removed the U.S. and Russia from global oil production, it was producing approximately twice as much as the rest of the world.

5. It was responsible for the price of oil dropping from $2.00 per barrel to $0.03 per barrel, which made large scale production of gasoline economically feasible, leading to the creation of mass transit based on the combustion engine.

6. In the 8 days it took to cap it, 50,000 people traveled by horse to what was then the middle of nowhere to see it.

7. It imprinted on people's minds the concept that energy resources were readily available, cheap to produce, inexpensive to use and without consequence when consumed.

Thus, the tipping point which occurred at Spindletop was not a physical one, but a mental one which changed our behavior forever and lead us down the path to where we are today. Therefore, unless we reform our values surrounding energy consumption, nothing we do will make a difference.
01-10-2015 04:30
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
trafn wrote: There's lots of talk today about the tipping point (of no return) for climate change and whether or not we've passed it.

We passed the tipping point when the planet was created. Once that occurred, there was nothing anyone (that was to come) could do to prevent the eventual destruction of the planet.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
01-10-2015 18:07
trafnProfile picture★★★☆☆
(779)
True, due to the life cycle of solar systems, this planet will likely cease to exist at some point in time. However, with today's climate change, it's our ceasing to exist that's at stake, not the planet's.

Join the debate We passed the tipping point on climate change in 1901:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Ron Desantis involved in crash, it is not known at this point if an RFKjr lookalike was involved125-07-2023 22:19
LOL, California has way way way too much water at this point1702-05-2023 20:59
The Savior Reveal The New Financial Fair Society Contribution Point System014-07-2021 06:27
Why the silence on zero point energy?419-12-2019 01:17
Tipping points423-10-2019 04:23
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact