Remember me
▼ Content

sea ice

Page 1 of 3123>
sea ice16-08-2020 16:25
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
After engaging with DRKTS I choose to do more research on Canadian sea ice.The Canadian coast guard measure all the ice and give predictions on form and quantity for Mariners.It is done by Aerial observation and surface ships.I wonder why they just dont use the NASA data.Thoughts anyone

duncan61
16-08-2020 16:52
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
duncan61 wrote:
After engaging with DRKTS I choose to do more research on Canadian sea ice.The Canadian coast guard measure all the ice and give predictions on form and quantity for Mariners.It is done by Aerial observation and surface ships.I wonder why they just dont use the NASA data.Thoughts anyone

Most of the satellite sensors are essentially cameras. The only difference is that they aren't all designed to record in the visual spectrum. The still just capture images from miles up in space, and computers do a lot of mathemagic to try and convert those images into something we can visualize and use.

Running ships through ice is risky business, and sometimes doesn't go to well. Very risky rescues as well. 'Ice Breaker' ships even have limitations, but they are heavy, and don't carry a whole lot of cargo or equipment. Doesn't take long for the ice to reform, after they plow through either. The whole Arctic ocean doesn't freeze all at one time, at the same rate either. Some areas are worse than others. It's a little like the weather predictions, which also play a part. Water moves around, just like the atmosphere. There is cooler water, and warmer water. Boats can only move so fast, and ice can form pretty quick too. The ships need to know what their chance of completing their journey, and which areas would be the safest course to take. Satellites aren't going to going to pick up how many chunks of ice or floating around, that can damage a ship, or how safe it is to navigate through them, if needed.
16-08-2020 18:06
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
My point is that the Canadian Coast Guard record the real data and its not the same as NASA
16-08-2020 19:21
(5197)
duncan61 wrote:
My point is that the Canadian Coast Guard record the real data and its not the same as NASA

NASA is getting there's from miles up in the sky, where the Coast Guard is right there in the water. It's pretty obvious who has the most current and accurate information. There is usually some ice floating around, any time of the year. It's more about size of the ice chucks, and the number of them, not just the freezing part of it. You can dodge a few chunks of ice pretty easy, but it can get challenging, as the number of chunks increase. Have to slow down quite a bit as well. NASA can only give a very broad/general overview, with any of their data. It's useful for somethings, but it keeps getting taken out of context. Some folks like to believe it's more, than is possible to obtain from high in the sky. NASA does nothing to discourage them either, since they want more funding. I doubt the great NASA conspiracy stuff. Most of their data is computer generated, which can always be improved upon, or corrected, if there were programming errors found later on. They have no control over how people use their data, or misrepresent the actual value.
16-08-2020 19:54
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21701)
duncan61 wrote:

NASA has no data. It is not possible to measure the total ice and snow in Canada or globally.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
16-08-2020 19:55
(21701)
duncan61 wrote:

Actually, they don't.

Sea ice varies daily, even hourly. The most any fleet of ships can do is take a snapshot of where they happen to be at the moment. That is insufficient data.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
17-08-2020 00:36
(5197)
Every boat on the water reports their location and conditions to the Coast Guard. The coast Guard has boats on the water as well, but they aren't the only source of current conditions, they just keep track of what's been reported into them.
17-08-2020 09:22
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
They do aerial surveys when possible as well
21-02-2021 11:16
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
I still can not get my hands on a picture of the North pole in the centre from space at right now real time.I would like to see the full extent of the snow and ice and There are Satellites taking pictures right now.All I can get is pictures from NASA Boulder Colorado showing sea ice modelling that concedes Hudson bay is frozen over but all the land mass and the great lakes are ice free.Its been well and truly minus more than a little bit over the last week in Canada some places below 40.Can anyone find an up to date picture with the north pole in the centre.IBDM I need you
21-02-2021 15:56
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
duncan61 wrote:

Different governments. If NASA does not do daily or weekly updates on sea ice extent, then it would be changing the time frames that it would work in. A better question might be why Canada doesn't make a request for the raw data and have their people work with it?
As things are, if anyone looks at Google Earth , that shows how detailed pictures from space can be using a commercial satellite. How long does it take to generate such pictures? This might require an expensive computer because different pictures would be pieced together to create a composite image.
And sea ice extent might be an excellent predictor of the thickness of the sea ice. Accumulation might happen as a result of wind and weather conditions. This is where actual observations could show how accurate such methods are. That would be using the trust but verify method.

This link is to Winnipeg, Canada. You might need some ram, maybe a graphics card and a decent processor. And if you click on the link, you can zoom out and can move around Winnipeg or the Earth.

https://earth.google.com/web/search/winnipeg/@49.88078047,-97.12942537,231.82760179a,73.73340189d,35y,0.00004243h,2.76931199t,0r/data=CigiJgokCRnF3982UUpAEXNHEDjqdkhAGVGH4_cCcFbAIQDcsZB8nlnA
Edited on 21-02-2021 15:57
21-02-2021 16:03
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
This link https://earth.google.com/web/search/winnipeg/@49.88343299,-97.12418962,234.24894787a,22.82234326d,35y,0.00004267h,2.6710284t,0r/data=CigiJgokCRnF3982UUpAEXNHEDjqdkhAGVGH4_cCcFbAIQDcsZB8nlnA
shows the parking lot outside of the St. Boniface Hospital Emergency Room.
The reason why the vehicles look odd is because multiple images were used. This shows the satellite's movement in its orbit. With some vehicles, you can see the shadow the Sun casts has changed. This is because it takes consecutive orbits to detail multiple areas. And then when the different images are merged, a computer cleans it up.
Because some people are too lazy to click a link, are these ambos (a term used in Australia or at least in Australian TV shows)? If only someone was there to tell us what they are. I can't trust a satellite. But since the image was made from different pictures taken by a satellite moving about 17,000 mph, what would a reasonable person think they are? A motor vehicle with a cab and a box behind it? Is that enough information?
And with satellites, they cost money to operate which is why governments usually pay for data collection from them and that can be expensive. With Canada, their Coast Guard probably does regular patrols (my brother served in the USCG as well as the USAF while I served in the USN) and with ships in the area, they can monitor where the boat traffic is. The rest of the sea ice extent might not be of any real concern to them as it would be a low level risk if people aren't going there, right?
Attached image:

Edited on 21-02-2021 16:29
22-02-2021 16:14
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
Into the Night wrote:
duncan61 wrote:

NASA has no data. It is not possible to measure the total ice and snow in Canada or globally.

Even within my own property line alone, I could come up with a ton of different results depending upon where measurements are taken.
22-02-2021 17:19
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14477)
duncan61 wrote: I still can not get my hands on a picture of the North pole in the centre from space at right now real time.

I am not aware of any real-time satellite imagery. There are no "imagery feeds" for weather or environmental purposes.

There are persistent imagery feeds pumped into various national intelligence agencies but they are not looking at weather or sea ice.

duncan61 wrote: I would like to see the full extent of the snow and ice and There are Satellites taking pictures right now.

Why are you so sure there are satellites taking pictures there right now? What governments need that imagery and are willing to pay to support geosynchronous satellites for that purpose? Whose responsibility do you believe that is? What government agency anywhere needs to know the extent of sea ice?

The entire reason Al Gore stirred panic over the Arctic is that he knew no one would ever be verifying any of it. The same for the theory that all of the earth's "excess heat" is hiding/building at the bottom of the ocean, i.e. no one can verify. Ditto concerning Greenland melting away ... except that every one of the relatively few people who have been to the Arctic will tell you that it is gaining in ice mass ... but those people are never interviewed in the media. All of the "experts" are always other people who have never been to the Arctic.

My advice to you is to be careful, and doubtful, of any Arctic imagery you receive. It is probably fabricated or "enhanced."

Look! The Arctic ice is almost gone! This is the lowest extent the Arctic sea ice has been in the month of February since 43,023 B.C.

Attached image:

22-02-2021 17:22
(14477)
IBdaMann wrote:Look! The Arctic ice is almost gone! This is the lowest extent the Arctic sea ice has been in the month of February since 43,023 B.C.

Wait ... my bad. The image in my previous post actually was from the year 43,023 B.C. Whew ... that was embarrassing.

The current real-time persistent NASA/NOAA satellite imagery confirms that we are experiencing an ice age right now.

Attached image:

22-02-2021 19:58
(3314)
IBdaMann wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:Look! The Arctic ice is almost gone! This is the lowest extent the Arctic sea ice has been in the month of February since 43,023 B.C.

Wait ... my bad. The image in my previous post actually was from the year 43,023 B.C. Whew ... that was embarrassing.

The current real-time persistent NASA/NOAA satellite imagery confirms that we are experiencing an ice age right now.

WE'RE ALL GONNA FREEZE TO DEATH IN EIGHT YEARS IF WE DON'T EMIT MORE CO2!!!!!!!!!!!!
23-02-2021 00:49
(14477)
gfm7175 wrote:WE'RE ALL GONNA FREEZE TO DEATH IN EIGHT YEARS IF WE DON'T EMIT MORE CO2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope. Sooner.

The last eight hours saw the most rapid amount of ice formation of the instrument record. This is no lie. More of the world has frozen in less than 24 hours than at any point in earth's history. Scientists have figured this out. There are moraines where Swan lives. I can't help if you are living in denial.

Take your meds. LOL.

Yawn.

Attached image:

23-02-2021 01:44
(5197)
Never make it down to Florida. Get a little frost, rarely snow, but never really a hard freeze.
23-02-2021 13:27
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
A big claim that Warmazombies make is the ice melting reduces the Albedo and contributes to more runaway warming and tipping points.Now there is a gazillion square miles of ice and snow does that effect reverse.NASA agree that sea ice in Antartica has been increasing however claim the permanant ice on the land is melting.If its cold enough to freeze sea water it is cold enough to freeze snow fall on land in to ice.They cant have it both ways
23-02-2021 14:21
(14477)
duncan61 wrote:
A big claim that Warmazombies make is the ice melting reduces the Albedo and contributes to more runaway warming and tipping points.Now there is a gazillion square miles of ice and snow does that effect reverse.NASA agree that sea ice in Antartica has been increasing however claim the permanant ice on the land is melting.If its cold enough to freeze sea water it is cold enough to freeze snow fall on land in to ice.They cant have it both ways

Duncan, you should have noticed the word "albedo" and immediately should have discarded the argument. Those using the word "albedo" have no intention of discussing physics.

If wamizombies are required to state their arguments using physics then the problems with their arguments become obvious so they avoid physics. "Albedo" is one way to avoid physics.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
23-02-2021 16:48
(3314)
IBdaMann wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:WE'RE ALL GONNA FREEZE TO DEATH IN EIGHT YEARS IF WE DON'T EMIT MORE CO2!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope. Sooner.

The last eight hours saw the most rapid amount of ice formation of the instrument record. This is no lie. More of the world has frozen in less than 24 hours than at any point in earth's history. Scientists have figured this out. There are moraines where Swan lives. I can't help if you are living in denial.

Take your meds. LOL.

Yawn.

OH NO!!!!! OH NO!!!!! The glacial moraine whatever from 20,000 years ago is NOTHING compared to THIS!!! We're all gonna die!!!!! This is the end!!!! Everyone, start burning a bunch of fossil fuels IMMEDIATELY! WE NEED MORE CO2!!!
23-02-2021 16:56
(14477)
gfm7175 wrote:Everyone, start burning a bunch of fossil fuels IMMEDIATELY! WE NEED MORE CO2!!!

LOL LOL We're beyond the tipping point, silly. Yes, we're all going to die. LOL

Yawn.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
23-02-2021 19:21
(3314)
IBdaMann wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:Everyone, start burning a bunch of fossil fuels IMMEDIATELY! WE NEED MORE CO2!!!

Yawn.

LOL nuh uh, schizzo. Fossil fuels can save us; we just need to start burning them immediately! We saved the world this way 20,000 years ago. Just look at the glacial moraines around you. DUH lol.

Jeeze. Schizzo. LOL

Yawn.
23-02-2021 19:44
(14477)
gfm7175 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Yawn.

LOL nuh uh, schizzo. Fossil fuels can save us; we just need to start burning them immediately! We saved the world this way 20,000 years ago. Just look at the glacial moraines around you. DUH lol.

Jeeze. Schizzo. LOL

Yawn.

Awesome! I wanted to keep rolling with it but your post seals the deal.

Attached image:

23-02-2021 22:01
(5197)
IBdaMann wrote:
duncan61 wrote:

Duncan, you should have noticed the word "albedo" and immediately should have discarded the argument. Those using the word "albedo" have no intention of discussing physics.

If wamizombies are required to state their arguments using physics then the problems with their arguments become obvious so they avoid physics. "Albedo" is one way to avoid physics.

Had to look it up. In the past, I just dismissed it as another climatology buzzword, that didn't actually mean anything. How would you actually measure something like that? Sort of like global temperature? Lot of variation, in how different terrains reflect/absorb. And, of course cloud cover, particulates, man-made CO2... It would have to be another one of those average things, over a long period of time. Do they calculate the entire planet all at once, even though, half is in shadow, and not reflecting much of anything?
24-02-2021 00:55
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Albedo is the measure of the diffuse reflection of solar radiation out of the total solar radiation and measured on a scale from 0, corresponding to a black body that absorbs all incident radiation, to 1, corresponding to a body that reflects all incident radiation. It would be near impossible to measure all at once yet NASA claim to be able to do it and then run it through a program and get the temperature at the surface.Ihave read a lot of information on the proccess and they freely admit it is a guess at best
24-02-2021 02:13
(5197)
duncan61 wrote:
Albedo is the measure of the diffuse reflection of solar radiation out of the total solar radiation and measured on a scale from 0, corresponding to a black body that absorbs all incident radiation, to 1, corresponding to a body that reflects all incident radiation. It would be near impossible to measure all at once yet NASA claim to be able to do it and then run it through a program and get the temperature at the surface.Ihave read a lot of information on the proccess and they freely admit it is a guess at best

Which pretty much sums up all the climatology 'data'... Most everything is really stretching, what we can measure, and keeping the claims with the margin of error (best not to display, kind of large). As long as they follow the rules, it's not fraud, just poor science. As long as it works on paper, it's tough to objectively dismiss. Unfortunately, research funding, is political, and competitive. There are only so many sources of steady funding. The people passing out the cash, fund a lot of different kinds of research, not just climate crap. They expected the desired results, for the money they invest. They aren't going to fund researchers, who undermine other investments.
24-02-2021 04:59
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5726)
HarveyH55 wrote:
duncan61 wrote:

Most of the satellite sensors are essentially cameras. The only difference is that they aren't all designed to record in the visual spectrum. The still just capture images from miles up in space, and computers do a lot of mathemagic to try and convert those images into something we can visualize and use.

Running ships through ice is risky business, and sometimes doesn't go to well. Very risky rescues as well. 'Ice Breaker' ships even have limitations, but they are heavy, and don't carry a whole lot of cargo or equipment. Doesn't take long for the ice to reform, after they plow through either. The whole Arctic ocean doesn't freeze all at one time, at the same rate either. Some areas are worse than others. It's a little like the weather predictions, which also play a part. Water moves around, just like the atmosphere. There is cooler water, and warmer water. Boats can only move so fast, and ice can form pretty quick too. The ships need to know what their chance of completing their journey, and which areas would be the safest course to take. Satellites aren't going to going to pick up how many chunks of ice or floating around, that can damage a ship, or how safe it is to navigate through them, if needed.

WOW so satellites can not take pictures? Are you retarded?
24-02-2021 05:07
(14477)
Swan wrote:WOW so satellites can not take pictures? Are you retarded?

Wow, that's not at all what he wrote. Are you retarded? ... or do you belong in a padded room?

Attached image:

24-02-2021 10:31
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Swan,Satellites take pictures.Its what they do.Some recent Satellites have instrumentation that attempt to read Albedo and make some sense of it but NASA are claiming to be able to work out the temperature to .00 places.It could go up or down 10 minutes after they moved on by 5-10 degrees easily with wind and or cloud cover.Where I live over Summer we have a pattern of East winds in the morning as warm air rises over the ocean and sucks all the cold air from the desert inland then between 12.00-2.00PM the Southerly or South Westerly will kick in as the North of the state heats up and drags all the cooler air off the ocean.It is affectionately called the freo doctor and it drops the temperature rapidly as it works like a big ass air conditioner over the city of Perth.The West coast of Australia is only second to Chicago for blowing its tits off.Boaties will wait in the harbour for the East wind to drop and dash out for a fish cruising with it then get a few hours in and you can see the Wind on the ocean coming from some distance and its time to get out or get wet.I have done this many times myself and cruised in with the beginning of the Southerly blow trolling lures for Macks and Tuna.By 5.00PM Its howling and all the wind surfers and kite surfers get out and have fun jumping waves.By 9.00 PM it settles down again then starts blowing from the East again early morning.It radicaly changes the temperature which is why it is not possible to get an average temperature reading of Trigg beach let alone the whole planet.Stop being mean to Harvey
24-02-2021 14:01
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5726)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:WOW so satellites can not take pictures? Are you retarded?

Wow, that's not at all what he wrote. Are you retarded? ... or do you belong in a padded room?

Why did you customize your bedroom with things that I said?

Never met an agent as triggered as you.

Play on.

Edited on 24-02-2021 14:27
24-02-2021 16:16
(14477)
duncan61 wrote: Swan,Satellites take pictures.Its what they do.

Except for all the ones that don't.

24-02-2021 22:03
(21701)
duncan61 wrote:
Swan,Satellites take pictures.Its what they do.

Most don't. Most are simply radio repeaters.
duncan61 wrote:
Some recent Satellites have instrumentation that attempt to read Albedo and make some sense of it

Not possible. It is not possible to measure the temperature of the Earth, which is required to know it's emissivity (or albedo, the inverse of emissivity).
duncan61 wrote:
but NASA are claiming to be able to work out the temperature to .00 places.It could go up or down 10 minutes after they moved on by 5-10 degrees easily with wind and or cloud cover.

Temperature can vary by as much as 20 deg F per mile even with no change in cloud cover.

The Parrot Killer

24-02-2021 23:42
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:

Temperature can vary by as much as 20 deg F per mile even with no change in cloud cover.

God, you are so right. I went into this bar near the University of Arizona campus and the temperature dropped 20º F. Their misting system kept the heat out. Anyone who has lived anywhere warm knows this.
25-02-2021 03:11
(21701)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

God, you are so right. I went into this bar near the University of Arizona campus and the temperature dropped 20º F. Their misting system kept the heat out. Anyone who has lived anywhere warm knows this.

No misting system required.

The Parrot Killer

25-02-2021 05:11
(14477)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

No misting system required.

... but it is an option in some neighborhoods.

25-02-2021 15:22
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5726)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Every boat on the water reports their location and conditions to the Coast Guard. The coast Guard has boats on the water as well, but they aren't the only source of current conditions, they just keep track of what's been reported into them.

LOL every boat on the water does not report their location and conditions to the coast guard. Do you make up this krap as you go?
25-02-2021 16:43
(5197)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

LOL every boat on the water does not report their location and conditions to the coast guard. Do you make up this krap as you go?

Are you a clueless idiot? When there is ice, boats talk to each other a lot. They want to know what they are heading to, and warn others if it's bad. Their lives depend on that cooperation, and communication. Coast Guard monitors those communications, asks questions, if conditions are turning bad, puts out alerts. The Coast Guard is there to help out, if somebody needs them.
25-02-2021 18:44
(21701)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Are you a clueless idiot? When there is ice, boats talk to each other a lot. They want to know what they are heading to, and warn others if it's bad. Their lives depend on that cooperation, and communication. Coast Guard monitors those communications, asks questions, if conditions are turning bad, puts out alerts. The Coast Guard is there to help out, if somebody needs them.

Nah. He's trying to pivot to discussing pleasure craft.

The Parrot Killer

25-02-2021 18:53
(14477)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:LOL every boat on the water does not report their location and conditions to the coast guard. Do you make up this krap as you go?
Are you a clueless idiot?

He's Straightjacket Swan, our padded-room pal, our ward of the ward, our delusional denizen ... so yes, expect his ravings to be the reason he is receiving shock treatments. If he seems to be pecking at the keyboard with his nose it's because he is otherwise strapped into his seat.

Just go with your understanding and ignore the frothing spittle.

Attached image:

26-02-2021 23:25
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5726)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

You said that every boat reports their location to the coast guard. I own a boat and never reported my location to the coast guard. You are clueless and just make up stuff as you go.
Page 1 of 3123>

Join the debate sea ice:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The new President elect of Haagen Dazs, demonstrating an ice cream filled donut017-11-2023 14:07
FASTER GLACIER MELTING MECHANISM COULD CAUSE HUGE SEA LEVEL RISES420-05-2023 19:54
Rip current in the Caspian Sea024-08-2022 11:59
Satellite Measurements-- Sea Level Rise7124-08-2022 01:36
Co2 ice samples1102-06-2022 22:44
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact