Remember me
▼ Content

Reality

Reality13-03-2021 04:12
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
I had better sex with a dog and the beotch knew she was a beotch.
That's your mother. And God did she know what she was. Just a beotch in heat until I came along.
And then we had you. I'm not your dad but if you want to make it personal, your mother's a beotch.
Kind of why science isn't personal. It's not about you or your family. It's only about if the science is right. It's okay to challenge science. It is wrong not to challenge it.
Science should never be accepted because it is. Challenging science only encourages people to learn.
With my family, I am a bastard child. I accept the rule of law but should be allowed to posses my own thoughts. And in that, I am free.
Edited on 13-03-2021 04:13
13-03-2021 04:29
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Reality is what we exist in. What we make of it is up to us.
It's all about the ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfw_5DykRxs
Edited on 13-03-2021 04:43
13-03-2021 04:58
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
James___ wrote:
That's your mother. And God did she know what she was. Just a beotch in heat until I came along.
And then we had you. I'm not your dad but if you want to make it personal, your mother's a beotch.
Kind of why science isn't personal. It's not about you or your family. It's only about if the science is right. It's okay to challenge science. It is wrong not to challenge it.
Science should never be accepted because it is. Challenging science only encourages people to learn.
With my family, I am a bastard child. I accept the rule of law but should be allowed to posses my own thoughts. And in that, I am free.

Try Thorazine
13-03-2021 05:11
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:

Try Thorazine

I hoped that you would do better. Are you afraid of a simple challenge?
Maybe someone else can do better? It is "Game On".

p.s., your mother liked it. What are you afraid of? It's a game, right?
I'll stop for the moment. And next, I will let you know what she liked. It's all a part of the "game", right?
Why I'm not one of you guys. It's just to easy.
Edited on 13-03-2021 05:15
13-03-2021 15:49
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Life, is just what you make it. you get out of it, just what you put into it, nothing more. Life is work, and there is no free rides. So people are good at 'working the system', and manipulate others, into paying for their passage through life, to avoid labor, but the still have to work at it.

Reality, is just how you perceive the world, and all things you experience through your senses. The mind, is unique, to each individual, as we all have to learn to interpret, what our senses are trying to tell us. Sometimes, it's better to trust, what other people have learned, to avoid negative experiences. Like when your mamma used to tell you not to touch the pot on the stove, it's hot, and will burn you. Some kids, accept the words, and aren't tempted to find out for themselves, perhaps, they witness the results before. Some kids, have to find out for themselves, sometimes, just minutes after being told not to. Some kids, 30 years later, are still grabbing at the hot pot on the stove... Unfortunately, life is quite as easy, to experience, like a hot pot on the stove. You can't just reach out and share the save experience with your hand. There are many things, that take a lot of time, money, and effort, to get to the point, where you can experience, the same thing, someone else has described to you. Comes down to faith, you sometimes have to accept, what others tell you. But, we all perceive the world a little differently, and what is described, might not actually be true, or accurate, since it's just the shared interpretation, of another individual, based on their learning and experiences. Like the hot pot on the stove, some will accept the words, without question, some will need more to convince them, some never will, even after getting burned, many times.

I don't try to be accepted in any 'group'. I try to stay focused on living my own life, do my own thinking, be myself, rather than conform to the perceptions of others. We have no control over the perception of others, but we do control how much of our minds we share with others, and should learn, how those things are interpreted. Not everybody will accept, or believe what you tell them, or try to teach them. Each, has the freedom to believe blindly, or question what you tell them. It's usually a waste of time and labor, to try and convince others, since they make the choice of accepting your perception, your reality. That's pretty much why, I usually step aside, and avoid the arguments and debates here. For some, it's just a form of recreation, and mostly meaningless nonsense, over how something is worded, not some much the concept, or functional parts. It's more about power and control, who is strong, and who is weak. Who leads, and who follows. I've no ambition to lead, or follow, just learn and grow. The arguments and debates, often entertaining, more than educational, do clear up a few perception issues, usually not the lesson intended, by those who wish to lead.
13-03-2021 17:31
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14475)
HarveyH55 wrote:Reality, is just how you perceive the world, and all things you experience through your senses.

Many philosophers have devoted a neuron or two to exactly this question.

It seems intuitive that there is some sort of absolute reality in which we find ourselves, and what you describe above is all any of us can legitimately claim is "what we know." Outside of our perceptions/experiences, we all form assumptions that help us "fill in" the big picture for each of us in a way that helps us make sense.

If you and I grab a football and throw it around for a while, it should occur to us that in order for me to throw the ball to you, for you to actually catch it and then for you to throw it back to me and for me to catch it, there must be some absolute reality at play even though you and I might individually be perceiving it quite differently.

However, there was a mathematician Kurt Gödel who proved (this is one of those rare cases where "proof" is actually the correct word) that we cannot know/understand completely the nature of the universe. Gödel's "incompleteness theorem" shows that even if you have a system of infinite true statements, it will be "incomplete" and that there will always be something TRUE about the system that cannot be derived from the existing infinite system and the rules of logic. Our human brains are certainly finite, and there are only a finite number of humans. If every human were to learn a different lifetime of TRUE knowledge about the universe, humanity's understanding of the universe would still be incomplete.

But any given human's understanding will not be comprised of only TRUE knowledge. All any of us have is limited to our perceptions and experiences which is prone to error. In fact, some of us, like Swan, are way out there in loony land thinking that different things are the same thing. If we could examine humanity's collective understanding of reality, we would notice that people like Swan and keepit are driving down the average big-time to the extent that it might look hopeless for humanity. People like tmiddles and Pete Rogers abandon all attempts to learn and simply fabricate things to declare "what we know." These unfortunate aspects of humanity explain why Vegas odds make human extinction the overwhelming favorite.

... but then there are other people like you who are rational and who generally take the scientific method approach, who are not afraid to question and doubt, who are not looking for others to do their thinking for them, in whom the hope for humanity resides. You might not have studied physics your entire life but there is nothing you cannot learn if you need to. People like Swan, keepit, Duncan, Pete Rogers and tmiddles, who have adopted strong religious beliefs that run counter to physics, can no longer learn anything in those areas. They have shut their minds to learning. They will only seek out gibberbabble that supports their existing religious beliefs. They are done ... and there is little hope for them going forward ... and they certainly won't be contributing to any human understanding.

You might notice as well that once someone becomes well practiced at lying to oneself that the lies to others just begin to flow naturally. Someone who is willing to delude himself will not hesitate to be dishonest to others, especially when discussing "reality."

What I find ironic, is that there was a time in the past when much of America was decrying how Christians were trying to impose religion in the science classroom but now we have reached a point where society might have to turn to Christians to put science back in the science classroom. You can bet that I will laugh when it comes down to that.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
13-03-2021 20:02
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:

Try Thorazine

I hoped that you would do better. Are you afraid of a simple challenge?
Maybe someone else can do better? It is "Game On".

p.s., your mother liked it. What are you afraid of? It's a game, right?
I'll stop for the moment. And next, I will let you know what she liked. It's all a part of the "game", right?
Why I'm not one of you guys. It's just to easy.

Classic Oedipal complex.
13-03-2021 20:10
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21699)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Reality, is just how you perceive the world, and all things you experience through your senses.

Bingo. This exactly how philosophy defines 'reality' and what 'real' is.

Indeed, an entire branch of philosophy is dedicated to answering this very question, called 'phenomenology'.

Our senses (even if artificially enhanced through instruments), are just stimuli...meaningless, until we interpret them. Those interpretations are done according to how each of us figure the Universe works. That model that we interpret our senses by is as unique to each of us as a fingerprint.

Therefore 'reality' is as unique to each of us as a fingerprint.

It is this basic philosophy that inspired stories like The Matrix, Dark Star, Dragon's Egg, The Terminal Man, The Twilight Zone series, the Outer Limits series, and indeed much of science fiction. By altering the model in some way, a new 'reality' is created. You might say it is what makes science fiction just that...fiction.

None of it, of course, is science at all.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
13-03-2021 23:28
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5725)
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Reality, is just how you perceive the world, and all things you experience through your senses.

Bingo. This exactly how philosophy defines 'reality' and what 'real' is.

Indeed, an entire branch of philosophy is dedicated to answering this very question, called 'phenomenology'.

Our senses (even if artificially enhanced through instruments), are just stimuli...meaningless, until we interpret them. Those interpretations are done according to how each of us figure the Universe works. That model that we interpret our senses by is as unique to each of us as a fingerprint.

Therefore 'reality' is as unique to each of us as a fingerprint.

It is this basic philosophy that inspired stories like The Matrix, Dark Star, Dragon's Egg, The Terminal Man, The Twilight Zone series, the Outer Limits series, and indeed much of science fiction. By altering the model in some way, a new 'reality' is created. You might say it is what makes science fiction just that...fiction.

None of it, of course, is science at all.

So is tmiddles one of the people that you met when your Mother locked you in the closet alone?
14-03-2021 00:49
(5197)
IBdaMann wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:Reality, is just how you perceive the world, and all things you experience through your senses.

Many philosophers have devoted a neuron or two to exactly this question.

It seems intuitive that there is some sort of absolute reality in which we find ourselves, and what you describe above is all any of us can legitimately claim is "what we know." Outside of our perceptions/experiences, we all form assumptions that help us "fill in" the big picture for each of us in a way that helps us make sense.

If you and I grab a football and throw it around for a while, it should occur to us that in order for me to throw the ball to you, for you to actually catch it and then for you to throw it back to me and for me to catch it, there must be some absolute reality at play even though you and I might individually be perceiving it quite differently.

However, there was a mathematician Kurt Gödel who proved (this is one of those rare cases where "proof" is actually the correct word) that we cannot know/understand completely the nature of the universe. Gödel's "incompleteness theorem" shows that even if you have a system of infinite true statements, it will be "incomplete" and that there will always be something TRUE about the system that cannot be derived from the existing infinite system and the rules of logic. Our human brains are certainly finite, and there are only a finite number of humans. If every human were to learn a different lifetime of TRUE knowledge about the universe, humanity's understanding of the universe would still be incomplete.

But any given human's understanding will not be comprised of only TRUE knowledge. All any of us have is limited to our perceptions and experiences which is prone to error. In fact, some of us, like Swan, are way out there in loony land thinking that different things are the same thing. If we could examine humanity's collective understanding of reality, we would notice that people like Swan and keepit are driving down the average big-time to the extent that it might look hopeless for humanity. People like tmiddles and Pete Rogers abandon all attempts to learn and simply fabricate things to declare "what we know." These unfortunate aspects of humanity explain why Vegas odds make human extinction the overwhelming favorite.

... but then there are other people like you who are rational and who generally take the scientific method approach, who are not afraid to question and doubt, who are not looking for others to do their thinking for them, in whom the hope for humanity resides. You might not have studied physics your entire life but there is nothing you cannot learn if you need to. People like Swan, keepit, Duncan, Pete Rogers and tmiddles, who have adopted strong religious beliefs that run counter to physics, can no longer learn anything in those areas. They have shut their minds to learning. They will only seek out gibberbabble that supports their existing religious beliefs. They are done ... and there is little hope for them going forward ... and they certainly won't be contributing to any human understanding.

You might notice as well that once someone becomes well practiced at lying to oneself that the lies to others just begin to flow naturally. Someone who is willing to delude himself will not hesitate to be dishonest to others, especially when discussing "reality."

What I find ironic, is that there was a time in the past when much of America was decrying how Christians were trying to impose religion in the science classroom but now we have reached a point where society might have to turn to Christians to put science back in the science classroom. You can bet that I will laugh when it comes down to that.

We were all born to the same world, and with basically the same sensory organs. We learn to use them, in similar manners. Even those without a full set, still learn how to get around in the world. Well, except maybe James, who lost his 'senses', in the Norwegian war... We all are going to share a lot of similar interpretations, of what we sense. The problem, is when we experience things, that don't fit into our sensory perceptions, or consistent with past experiences, our minds have to put something down, to describe the experience. Sometimes a little weird, until we learn a better description. Basically, people who lack education, tend to make shit up, until they learn otherwise...
14-03-2021 01:17
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:

We were all born to the same world, and with basically the same sensory organs. We learn to use them, in similar manners. Even those without a full set, still learn how to get around in the world. Well, except maybe James, who lost his 'senses', in the Norwegian war... We all are going to share a lot of similar interpretations, of what we sense. The problem, is when we experience things, that don't fit into our sensory perceptions, or consistent with past experiences, our minds have to put something down, to describe the experience. Sometimes a little weird, until we learn a better description. Basically, people who lack education, tend to make shit up, until they learn otherwise...

I figured out why white supremacists come after me. I make them look bad. All they can do is say "I'm an American". After all, when you can't keep up with someone who isn't one of you, what do you do? Attack.
That's something the GOP has borrowed from Christians. Although in larger metropolitan areas such tactics won't work.
Basically, people who lack education, tend to make shit up, until they learn otherwise.

I do find your stories entertaining.
14-03-2021 03:24
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
I have read and also learned that people have so strong inner beliefs into different things that those are almost impossible to change by argumentation or persuasion. For example I go to construction forum where most guys are quite knowledgedable about electricity, heat pumps etc etc, but at the same time those guys argue about CO2 emissions like those should matter to save the climate. When I try to explain them that global warming is not possible because of the laws of thermodynamics and Stefan-Boltmann , they simply start to call me a flat-earther. They are so brainwashed by mainstream media that they can not think anymore by themselves.
I always tend to analyze myself from that point of view that I might have a strong inner belief that actually might be wrong. Nowadays I doubt everything. It amazes me how naive I was when I was young.
Edited on 14-03-2021 03:33
14-03-2021 03:38
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Xadoman wrote:
I have read and also learned that people have so strong inner beliefs into different things that those are almost impossible to change by argumentation or persuasion. For example I go to construction forum where most guys are quite knowledgedable about electricity, heat pumps etc etc, but at the same time those guys argue about CO2 emissions like those should matter to save the climate. When I try to explain them that global warming is not possible because of the laws of thermodynamics and Stefan-Boltmann , they simply start to call me a flat-earther. They are so brainwashed by mainstream media that they can not think anymore by themselves.
I always tend to analyze myself from that point of view that I might have a strong inner belief that actually might be wrong. Nowadays I doubt everything. It amazes me how naive I was when I was young.

The real argument might be hydrocarbons and the ozone layer. CO2 over the years has no relationship to global warming. At the same time it is a byproduct of burning fossil fuels. It's possible that's the relationship not being discussed.
If people are being mislead, how to discuss that?
14-03-2021 17:17
(5197)
Some people like being victims. Some like to live in fear. Some people enrich themselves, by exploiting these people. It's something that has always been, and likely always will be. We aren't the only species, that deceive, it's natural way for some to survive and prosper.

There will always be convincing scams, and people who fall for them. A lot of people support global warming, because the see the potential to profit off the victims, and fearful. It's a big scam, that appeals to a majority of people, for various reasons, even though they have to kind of know, it's a non-issue, certainly not a crisis. A crisis, is an immediate threat, not something that may be an issue for future generation. Most of the people supporting global warming, will be dead, and have never seen any of the catastrophic changes promised. Their children, won't see the environmental changes, other than the windmills and solar farms, but they are going to suffer the economic catastrophe. Nature is self-balancing, self-correcting. It never actually reaches equilibrium, as a whole. We don't have the capacity to alter the balance.
14-03-2021 22:29
(21699)
Xadoman wrote:

Welcome to the club. You should see the insults I get.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
14-03-2021 22:32
(21699)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Some people like being victims. Some like to live in fear. Some people enrich themselves, by exploiting these people. It's something that has always been, and likely always will be. We aren't the only species, that deceive, it's natural way for some to survive and prosper.

There will always be convincing scams, and people who fall for them. A lot of people support global warming, because the see the potential to profit off the victims, and fearful. It's a big scam, that appeals to a majority of people, for various reasons, even though they have to kind of know, it's a non-issue, certainly not a crisis. A crisis, is an immediate threat, not something that may be an issue for future generation. Most of the people supporting global warming, will be dead, and have never seen any of the catastrophic changes promised. Their children, won't see the environmental changes, other than the windmills and solar farms, but they are going to suffer the economic catastrophe. Nature is self-balancing, self-correcting. It never actually reaches equilibrium, as a whole. We don't have the capacity to alter the balance.

Fear can really only take hold in illiteracy.

Many in the Church of Global Warming are truly living in fear, because they simply don't know better. Many in the Church of Covid are truly living in fear, because they simply don't know better. The same is true of the Church of Green.

Yet, it is a prison they make for themselves. A prison of fear.

The Parrot Killer

Join the debate Reality:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
How America Got Divorced from Reality: Christian Utopias, Anti-Elitism, Media Circus - Kurt Andersen2014-04-2022 19:02
Many Illusion Communities Lightworker, Spirituality, Scandal Conspiracy Must Face Life Reality Truth018-08-2020 05:31
Corpreal Reality009-04-2020 23:48
Is Quantum Vacuum energy a reality?8410-09-2019 03:28
The disconnect between the Trump administration and reality on climate change keeps growing319-03-2019 18:32
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact