Remember me
▼ Content

Arctic Amplification

Arctic Amplification19-05-2018 22:35
LikeanImon
☆☆☆☆☆
(4)
Hello!

I'm currently reading the Book "climate change - what everybody needs to know" and I am wondering what arctic/polar amplification is. I've already used google but well, I still don't know the answer. Is it caused by human activity? Can it be caused by human activity ?

Thanks!
19-05-2018 22:52
still learning
★★☆☆☆
(244)
LikeanImon wrote:
Hello!

....I I am wondering what arctic/polar amplification is. I've already used google....,
Thanks!

Wikipedia answers your question.

First sentence of the Wikipedia entry on polar amplification:"Polar amplification is the phenomenon that any change in the net radiation balance (for example greenhouse intensification) tends to produce a larger change in temperature near the poles than the planetary average."

No, the "amplification" isn't human caused, seems to be there during natural climate change.
19-05-2018 23:31
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
LikeanImon wrote:
Hello!

I'm currently reading the Book "climate change - what everybody needs to know" and I am wondering what arctic/polar amplification is. I've already used google but well, I still don't know the answer. Is it caused by human activity? Can it be caused by human activity ?

Thanks!

This is the effect of white snow and ice reflecting heat energy back out to space and open water absorbing the heat.

As the ice melts and exposes more water more heat is absorbed.

That's the simple bit. The next bit is a little more cmplex;

If all the floating ice melts at the North pole then the effect will certainly be that the Arctic ocean warms a bit. But, the heat energy will almost all go into increasing the evaporation of the water into the very cold dry air that drops over the pole all the time. This will cause the snowfall over the surrounding regions to be increased. the result will be, much to the annoyance of those who want to spread panic, that Greenland and the rest will gain more ice mass and sea levels will drop. Drop a tiny bit. Nothing to worry about.

Join the debate Arctic Amplification:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Arctic sea ice cover1909-04-2022 08:29
Arctic ice cover202-04-2022 09:26
Polar vortex regains it's shape and position over the Arctic Video!!!501-06-2021 06:54
Is Western Arctic Warming related to Magnetic Pole Movement?817-03-2020 03:59
Arctic waters not freezing76404-02-2020 11:58
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact