Remember me
▼ Content

The Tale of Two Preachers

The Tale of Two Preachers16-04-2022 22:16
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14453)
Once upon a time, a firebrand preacher happened upon a small community of heathens, pagans and non-believers. He saw no other preachers around and realized he had stumbled upon a treasure trove of immense potential political capital. He marched into the center of town, clanged a bell and shouted "Hear ye, hear ye! Religious services will begin commencing. I am only here to serve!" and then he posted in the center of the town square some of his church literature titled "Tangier Island: It's What You Should Believe"

One person in the community asked him what he meant. Another person reviewed the literature and pointed out many errors. A third explained why the underlying principle was erroneous. Yet another asked for unambiguous definitions of the altogether strange terms the preacher was using.

The preacher did not expect this. The preacher had assumed that EVERYBODY in the world was stupid and gullible and never anticipated having to explain anything or to answer any questions. The preacher declared the community to be one of trolls. After a while, he simply seethed in the shadows, plotting how he could triumph and win his just rewards. First he would have to run certain bothersome trolls out of town through standard bullying, name-calling and generally dishonest demonization. He schemed in the dark.

Then one day, a second firebrand preacher happened by the community and saw no other preachers around and realized he had stumbled upon a treasure trove of immense potential political capital. He marched into the center of town, clanged a bell and shouted "Hear ye, hear ye! Religious services will begin commencing. I am only here to serve!" and then he tried to post in the center of the town square some of his church literature titled "Restoring Alkalinity to your Faith" but he simply couldn't figure out how to get it to post. Finally, one of the members of the community posted it for him.

One person in the community asked him what he meant. Another person reviewed the literature and pointed out many errors. A third explained why the underlying principle was erroneous. Yet another asked for unambiguous definitions of the altogether strange terms the preacher was using.

The preacher did not expect this. The preacher had assumed that EVERYBODY in the world was stupid and gullible and never anticipated having to explain anything or to answer any questions. The preacher declared the community to be one of trolls. He maintained that only he was the expert and that he alone had saved the world with his holy gamma-spec. Eventually he realized that he would have to run certain bothersome trolls out of town through standard spamming and other denial-of-service attacks. He even hired a local sock.

The first preacher saw the second preacher encroaching on his territory and found this to be wholly unacceptable. This turf is mine! The second preacher, however, learned of the first preacher and tried to use the occurrence to his advantage. Neither preacher had any intention of allowing the other to claim this community as his prize. The two uncomfortably put on appearances of unity in public, but in private, schemed to subvert the other to his particular ministry.

tmiddles wrote:
sealover wrote:
This thread was created for the sole purpose of intimidating and denigrating a member of this website.

Unfortunately, it may have been another success story in the long history of driving good people off the website.

I hope tmiddles can return to a place where nobody would start another thread just to be an... need I say more?
You are basically correct sealover. IBD and the rest of the trolls on this board are intent of destroying the ability to have a discussion so they fire hose BS over anything that starts to get in to a climate debate.

In the end, the two preachers put on quite a show for the community who watched in enjoyment.

The end.
Attached image:

17-04-2022 07:24
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21637)
I actually saw this kind of thing happen in Las Vegas. Occasionally, some evangelist will show up with a bullhorn to tell all the passerby they are going to hell because they are in Las Vegas (of course he is too!).

I once saw him get into an argument with an atheist and a fundamentalist Christian. He was losing to both at the same time while others just stood around and watched the show.
Join the debate The Tale of Two Preachers:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
A tale of 2 families1727-07-2020 17:41
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact