Remember me
▼ Content

Sustainable drink alternatives to coffee and tea

Sustainable drink alternatives to coffee and tea20-04-2024 18:08
markjfernandes
☆☆☆☆☆
(2)
I've been investigating sustainable drink alternatives to coffee and tea, for people in the UK.

I'm mainly concerned about the carbon footprint associated with transporting coffee and tea regularly to the UK.

I was wondering whether people could give their opinions on the following alternatives:
- the following dried or powdered teas and coffees that if not currently from the UK, perhaps could one day be grown in, and sourced from, the UK:
++++++ acorn coffee from UK
++++++ silver-birch tea from France
++++++ nettle tea currently from France
++++++ dandelion coffee as well as dandelion tea currently from Poland
++++++ mint tea
++++++ liquorice tea from Turkey
++++++ Valerian-root tea from Poland
++++++ lemon balm or mint tea, using fresh leaves from your own back garden
- cold-brew tea & coffee
- Good Earth herbal tea supposed to be good for the environment
- oat-milk powder from UK (by using powder, can reduce storage, transportation, and shelf-life footprints inc. for carbon emissions [less weight, less volume, long shelf-life])
- pink lemonade made from powder concentrate, from USA, having a sustainability focus
- drinking water flavoured with food-flavouring concentrates where there are very many flavours that can be chosen
- sweetening drinks with local honey (promotes bees in the local area, and the pollination they do for woodlands, the countryside, meadows, wildflowers, etc. for keeping these things alive, and ecosystems functioning)
- having less variety in drinks, which can perhaps reduce carbon footprint, through economies of scale, and fewer costs, expenses, and burdens caused by needless diversification
- drinking plain water when there's no strong need to drink something else

Thoughts and opinions welcomed. I would like to get some overall guiding principles regarding the different options above.

Thanks.
24-04-2024 01:08
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
markjfernandes wrote:
I've been investigating sustainable drink alternatives to coffee and tea, for people in the UK.

I'm mainly concerned about the carbon footprint associated with transporting coffee and tea regularly to the UK.

I was wondering whether people could give their opinions on the following alternatives:
- the following dried or powdered teas and coffees that if not currently from the UK, perhaps could one day be grown in, and sourced from, the UK:
++++++ mint tea
- cold-brew tea & coffee
- oat-milk powder from UK (by using powder, can reduce storage, transportation, and shelf-life footprints inc. for carbon emissions [less weight, less volume, long shelf-life])
- pink lemonade made from powder concentrate, from USA, having a sustainability focus
- drinking water flavoured with food-flavouring concentrates where there are very many flavours that can be chosen
- sweetening drinks with local honey (promotes bees in the local area, and the pollination they do for woodlands, the countryside, meadows, wildflowers, etc. for keeping these things alive, and ecosystems functioning)
- having less variety in drinks, which can perhaps reduce carbon footprint, through economies of scale, and fewer costs, expenses, and burdens caused by needless diversification

Thoughts and opinions welcomed. I would like to get some overall guiding principles regarding the different options above.

Thanks.

There is no substitute for coffee. Tea is for women, or a euphemism for 'spirits' used by closet alcoholics.
24-04-2024 02:44
James_
★★★★★
(2243)
HarveyH55 wrote:
markjfernandes wrote:

++++++ mint tea
- cold-brew tea & coffee

Thanks.

There is no substitute for coffee. Tea is for women, or a euphemism for 'spirits' used by closet alcoholics.

I like tea sometimes but have to have coffee in the morning. With the carbon footprint of shipping, there's this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aQwyF693W4&t=1s
24-04-2024 04:24
James_
★★★★★
(2243)
markjfernandes wrote:

Thanks.

With what you're considering is you'd have to experiment and develop a substitute that people like. It would need caffeine for a lot of people to like it.
Then you'll need to set up a kiosk somewhere and start selling it. If you have
3 or 4 different varieties then their sales should give you an idea.
I knew someone who had a friend that sold jewelry in Canada. What he'd do
is go to the Calgary Stampede with a wide variety of jewelry. Then he knew
which pieces he liked the best. I was told the one year that he did not do that
his sales dropped so he kept using the Calgary Stampede as a test bed so to speak..
24-04-2024 10:22
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21705)
markjfernandes wrote:

If you're concerned about carbon footprints, clean your boots.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
24-04-2024 15:34
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14477)
markjfernandes wrote:Thoughts and opinions welcomed. I would like to get some overall guiding principles regarding the different options above.

Please explain this "carbon footprint" term. Did you mean "carbon-fiber footprint"?
Edited on 24-04-2024 15:35

Join the debate Sustainable drink alternatives to coffee and tea:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Sustainable diet of oats, lysine, & raw local veg, for ppl in UK1127-04-2024 20:58
Challenges with making carbon emitting sustainable?927-12-2019 06:58
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact