Remember me
▼ Content

student protests

student protests29-04-2024 21:35
keepit
★★★★★
(3125)
Ahh, the good old days. The student protests of the old days (1960's and 1970's).
I miss those days. The students were pretty good at it because it stayed under control, at least until the authorities got frustrated and took various forms of action against it. I'm reminded of kent state.
JMHO but these current protests seem to have good basis. Namely that Israel's response to oct 7 is excessive and directed incorrectly. Maybe netanyahoo has lost his mind? Not that i don't support Israel, i do, but i don't support Israel's response to their current problem.
Edited on 29-04-2024 21:37
RE: 1960s to 1980s evolution of protests29-04-2024 22:35
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(718)
keepit wrote:
Ahh, the good old days. The student protests of the old days (1960's and 1970's).
I miss those days. The students were pretty good at it because it stayed under control, at least until the authorities got frustrated and took various forms of action against it. I'm reminded of kent state.
JMHO but these current protests seem to have good basis. Namely that Israel's response to oct 7 is excessive and directed incorrectly. Maybe netanyahoo has lost his mind? Not that i don't support Israel, i do, but i don't support Israel's response to their current problem.

-------------------------------------------------------------

You know, they weren't always good old days.

I remember vividly the first student protest that I got caught in the middle of.

1968, I was only nine and we were visiting my older sister at UC Berkeley.

Driving on Shattuck Ave in a Ford station wagon, our trip took a turn for the worse.

We drove right into the middle of it. Cops on one side of the street, and student protesters on other.

Police fired tear gas cannisters over our heads on one side. Protesters picked them up and threw them back over our heads on the other side.

And then it got horrible as the groups clashed all around us. The cops were brutal, striking heads with their batons. Kids were falling down all around with blood streaked heads and faces.

A high price to pay for expressing opposition to the war in Vietnam.

By 1978 when I was a college kid, protests had evolved to be a lot less bloody.

Protesting South African racism didn't require risking one's health and safety.

Doonesbury ran a comic about a protest leader talking to the commanding police officer. He was presenting a list of students who were requesting to be arrested.

Ah, but the worst one I got caught in the middle of was at age 25.

Dominican students were protesting the austerity policies being imposed in response to the debt crisis. I was in a taxi, caught in between again.

The cops were not whacking heads with batons. They were firing live rounds from their rifles into the crowd.

Our taxi driver did what appeared impossible, getting off the street on to the sidewalk and getting us out of there in a nick of time.

"The pen is mightier than the sword, but it's no match for a gun."
29-04-2024 22:43
keepit
★★★★★
(3125)
im a bm,
i guess i never participated but i took an interest. You should have been at a distance.
30-04-2024 02:28
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21870)
keepit wrote:

Kent State was not under control. That's why it's remembered, keepit.
keepit wrote:

These are not protests. They are occupations, using Hamas terrorism as a reason.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
30-04-2024 03:36
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14507)
Into the Night wrote: They are occupations, using Hamas terrorism as a reason.

It's a lot more than that. Israel is using Iran's attack as a pretense. Israel knows that Iran attacked via its proxy Al Qassam. Israel's objective is to expand the blame for the Oct 7th attack from the mere 100+ Al Qassam terrorist militants who perpetrated the attack to envelop Hamas ... and then expand it further to include all Arabs. Here's Israel's process:

Step 1: Recognize that Iran attacked Israel on 7 October by insisting that Iran "must pay for this" immediately after the attack and then "declaring war" (generically).

Step 2: Extend the blame of the perpetrators to Hamas by declaring Al Qassam to be "the military wing of Hamas." This is absurd since Al Qassam takes its marching orders from the Ayatollah and not from anyone else; that's what the Ayatollah's annual $100 million funding of Al Qassam buys him.

Step 3: Get Christians to fall in line with, and applaud, genocide by extending the blame for the attack to all Arabs (in Gaza) by reminding Christians that "there are no innocent Arabs; they elected Hamas" ...

... and voila! Suddenly Christians are cheering collective punishment, the 2nd Nakba, ethnic cleansing and genocide ... all because Israel is the perpetrator, and that makes it OK, it makes it God's will and thus makes it right.

Step 4: the finishing step. Get Christians to recite the prayer "Hamas hides behind human shields" as an inocculating drug so that they become immune to any mention that none of the Arabs being slaughtered ever attacked Israel.

Arabs are dying en masse solely because of racist Israeli HATRED. Israel has no intention of ever seeking any retribution for any of Iran's attacks. The IDF moved swiftly to kill hated Hamas leaders before an Hamas leaders were even aware that they needed to get the word out that they aren't Al Qassam. They are dead now, along with about 18,000+ Arab children who similarly never attacked Israel.

(this is where you are required to knee-jerk "Hamas hides behind human shields")

As you are well aware, it has become impossible to snap any Christians out of their hypnosis. It is simply not possible to remind Christians that Hamas is merely Gaza's governing political party that never even knew about the attack until it happened. The Ayatollah didn't want anyone but the Al Qassam perpetrators to know anything until the attack happened, knowing that otherwise the Mossad would easily thwart the plan.

18,000+ children dead, who never attacked Israel, who were alive and well at the beginning of October, who the IDF had full responsibility to protect, not slaughter with reckless abandon.

Imagine, Christians being known for their vocal support for genocide and their desire to see Arabs eradicated. I honestly never thought I would live to see the day.
30-04-2024 04:05
keepit
★★★★★
(3125)
itn,
Try rereading my last post and then formulate a response that makes sense.
And then try not to cause semantic arguments. It makes it sound like you have nothing to say.
RE: late April, 1984, protester body count30-04-2024 04:57
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(718)
Just to refresh my memory, I looked up the April 27, 1984 newspaper articles about the protests in the Dominican Republic.

The press (NYT, WAPO, etc.) claimed that 60 people were killed and 200 wounded.

Everyone in the country (DR) at the time knew the true figure was far higher.

So, it is hard for me to think fondly about these kind of events.

Especially with more details now being revealed about Donald Trump's desire to have the US military use live rounds to fire on BLM protesters.

Disappointed when told it would be illegal, he apparently asked if they couldn't at least shoot them in the legs.

If he gets back into power again, he will be sure to appoint generals who will say "yes" next time.

And there would surely be a lot of protesters to fire upon.
30-04-2024 05:11
keepit
★★★★★
(3125)
im a bm,
You make a good point. I wasn't thinking about the protests where the authoritarians got frustrated and lost their cool.
30-04-2024 17:32
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14507)
Im a BM wrote: Just to refresh my memory, I looked up the April 27, 1984 newspaper articles about the protests in the Dominican Republic.

Is this the same Dominican Republic in which the coral reefs died, but are just fine? I'm betting that whatever you fabricate didn't actually happen. I think your whole world is fictitious.

Im a BM wrote: The press (NYT, WAPO, etc.) claimed that 60 people were killed and 200 wounded. Everyone in the country (DR) at the time knew the true figure was far higher.

My bet is that what actually happened is that perhaps a dozen people suffered scrapes and bruises when the shelving in a grocery store produce section collapsed.

Im a BM wrote: So, it is hard for me to think fondly about these kind of events.

You probably had to suffer a couple of days without any mangú.

Im a BM wrote: Especially with more details now being revealed about Donald Trump's desire to have the US military use live rounds to fire on BLM protesters.

Tell me, who probed Donald Trump's mind? Has he always had a secret desire to eat his young? Did we find out the results of Trump's blood test? ... is the Antichrist really his father?

I feel sorry for you. Believing that you are a chemist isn't even your most extreme delusion.

Im a BM wrote: Disappointed when told it would be illegal, he apparently asked if they couldn't at least shoot them in the legs.

Of course. We all know that Trump fires live rounds into every protest.

You are beyond help.

Im a BM wrote: If he gets back into power again, he will be sure to appoint generals who will say "yes" next time.

It was Trump's generals who destroyed the Dominican coral reefs.
RE: "Banana Republic" could be one election away30-04-2024 19:12
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(718)
keepit wrote:
im a bm,
You make a good point. I wasn't thinking about the protests where the authoritarians got frustrated and lost their cool.

We could be just one election away from becoming a "Banana Republic".

Student protests will continue, one way or another.

Trust me, our students will be much safer if the Banana Republicans don't get their cult leader back into power.

There still are a small minority of Republican politicians who are neither Banana Republicans nor Bananas Republicans.

Banana Republicans = Traditional authoritarian thinking. Voters can't be trusted to make the right choices so we'll choose for them. A Strong Man must rule with an iron fist, or else the uppity classes might rise in revolt.

Banana Republicans might think the leader is repugnant, perhaps even an idiot, but he is a convenient means to an end for their agenda.

Bananas Republicans = True believers in the cult, worshipping their leader, believing anything he says. These guys are just "bananas". Facilitated by cognitive dissonance, they don't even notice the contradictions.

The true Republicans have already lost nearly all influence.

The Banana Republicans foolishly believe that they will be able keep things within acceptable limits, and aren't worried about the potential consequences.

The Bananas Republications are ascending in their influence. If their cult leader gets back into power, they will eliminate all influence of the true Republicans (now known as "RINOS"), and will go on to dominate the Banana Republicans.
30-04-2024 19:56
(21870)
Im a BM wrote:
keepit wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------

You know, they weren't always good old days.

I remember vividly the first student protest that I got caught in the middle of.

1968, I was only nine and we were visiting my older sister at UC Berkeley.

Driving on Shattuck Ave in a Ford station wagon, our trip took a turn for the worse.

We drove right into the middle of it. Cops on one side of the street, and student protesters on other.

Police fired tear gas cannisters over our heads on one side. Protesters picked them up and threw them back over our heads on the other side.

And then it got horrible as the groups clashed all around us. The cops were brutal, striking heads with their batons. Kids were falling down all around with blood streaked heads and faces.

A high price to pay for expressing opposition to the war in Vietnam.

By 1978 when I was a college kid, protests had evolved to be a lot less bloody.

Protesting South African racism didn't require risking one's health and safety.

Doonesbury ran a comic about a protest leader talking to the commanding police officer. He was presenting a list of students who were requesting to be arrested.

Ah, but the worst one I got caught in the middle of was at age 25.

Dominican students were protesting the austerity policies being imposed in response to the debt crisis. I was in a taxi, caught in between again.

The cops were not whacking heads with batons. They were firing live rounds from their rifles into the crowd.

Our taxi driver did what appeared impossible, getting off the street on to the sidewalk and getting us out of there in a nick of time.

"The pen is mightier than the sword, but it's no match for a gun."

And now you idiots want to start a civil war. Biden has called for several times (an act of treason). So have quite a few Democrats, which you support.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
30-04-2024 19:58
(21870)
keepit wrote:
itn,
Try rereading my last post and then formulate a response that makes sense.
And then try not to cause semantic arguments. It makes it sound like you have nothing to say.
You cannot project YOUR problems onto anybody else, keepit.

The Parrot Killer

30-04-2024 20:01
(21870)
Im a BM wrote:
Especially with more details now being revealed about Donald Trump's desire to have the US military use live rounds to fire on BLM protesters.

You would rather have military use live rounds on civilians, eh?
Remember Waco?
Remember Ruby Ridge?

You idiots want to start a civil war. Biden has called for it several times, and so have other Democrats.

Before you start pointing fingers, be careful what you ask for.

The Parrot Killer

30-04-2024 20:07
(21870)
Im a BM wrote:
We could be just one election away from becoming a "Banana Republic".

Bananas are not a form of government.
Im a BM wrote:
Student protests will continue, one way or another.

If you cause violence, or trespass or otherwise break the law, you will be met with arrest and possibly violence. It is YOU that supports Democrats calling for civil war, Sock.
Im a BM wrote:
Trust me, our students will be much safer if the Banana Republicans don't get their cult leader back into power.

Bananas are not a political group.
Im a BM wrote:
There still are a small minority of Republican politicians who are neither Banana Republicans nor Bananas Republicans.

Bananas are not a political group.
Im a BM wrote:
Banana Republicans = Traditional authoritarian thinking. Voters can't be trusted to make the right choices so we'll choose for them. A Strong Man must rule with an iron fist, or else the uppity classes might rise in revolt.

You are describing Democrats. It is DEMOCRATS that caused the last two elections to fault due to election fraud. It is DEMOCRATS that are trying it AGAIN in 2024. You cannot project YOUR problems onto anybody else, Sock.

The Parrot Killer

Join the debate student protests:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Catholic student arrested at school for merely stating "that men and women are different"921-02-2024 21:44
Teacher who voted for Biden knocks out student's teeth at basketball game006-12-2023 13:21
Principal and teacher drag autistic student thru hall3202-06-2022 20:21
BLM Protests are PEACEFUL !!! Indiscriminantly424-06-2020 20:49
Over 700 climate change activists arrested as protests disrupt travel in London020-04-2019 22:58
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact