Remember me
▼ Content

Longer term with ice caps

Longer term with ice caps23-11-2013 18:10
JamesNewell
☆☆☆☆☆
(8)
At the moment, the ice caps are holding global warming down somewhat, like ice in a glass of water. However, in the long run, as the ice increases in temperature and then melts, it will hold down the CO2 warming less. This isn't something that will be significant in the next couple of decades, but further in the future, the decreasing effect of the ice caps in holding down global warming will be noticeable.

In addition to the ice caps, deep ocean water is cold and that is also temporarily reducing the warming we are seeing.

We are seeing significant global warming, along with the increasing number of severe hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, etc. which the climate models predict. But the situation would be even worse if we didn't have the very temporary counter effects of the ice caps and cold of deep sea water.

Jim
05-05-2014 10:51
Kano
☆☆☆☆☆
(23)
Wrong as of last week global ice extent was 1.000.000 sq KM above average, we have had no significant warming for 17yrs.
Extreme weather events are not increasing the US has experienced less hurricanes and tornadoes in the last ten years, however it has experienced more snow and record cold events, is that the extreme weather you are talking about, but somehow I don't see how you can blame that on global warming
01-06-2014 20:30
Windy
☆☆☆☆☆
(6)
The Antarctic ice is at record levels. At least keep up on the topic if you are going to spout facts.

Where are you getting your data about increased extreme weather? That is also wrong.

But, you will get to keep your doctor.
19-08-2014 13:41
just sayin
☆☆☆☆☆
(23)
the only ice cap is in Antarctica...it has been growing since recorded history...there is no arctic polar ice cap..there is just sea ice that is seasonal mostly...unless you are talking about greenland which is not the north pole..at any rat the total glacial mass of the earth has been steadily increasing not declining since this global warming debate started
Edited on 19-08-2014 13:43
14-12-2014 02:08
Abraham3Profile picture★★☆☆☆
(256)
Really"

14-12-2014 21:34
Abraham3Profile picture★★☆☆☆
(256)
That should have said:

just sayin wrote:
at any rat the total glacial mass of the earth has been steadily increasing not declining since this global warming debate started

Really?

Edited on 14-12-2014 21:35
20-05-2016 13:40
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
Abraham3 wrote:
That should have said:

just sayin wrote:
at any rat the total glacial mass of the earth has been steadily increasing not declining since this global warming debate started

Really?

The study you have used is talking about a selection of glaciers.

I have seen it before. It does not look at the great ice sheets especially Antarctica, which has increased in ice mass.

You should also consider the impact of the amount of ice melt in your graphs. How much sea level rise would you expect from a 25 billion tonne melt?

It is reasy to work out please show me that you are better than most of the alarmist types who regard maths as the work of the devil by doing the sum.
20-05-2016 19:02
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14414)
just sayin wrote: ...there is no arctic polar ice cap..

Yes, there is...but it is more of a polar ice yarmulke. It will exist until the Arctic finally becomes completely ice-free.

Remember, Arctic ice is kosher!

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist

Join the debate Longer term with ice caps:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The new President elect of Haagen Dazs, demonstrating an ice cream filled donut017-11-2023 14:07
The term ai was invented at Dartmouth in 1956, it was bogus then and is still bogus003-05-2023 17:03
Co2 ice samples1102-06-2022 22:44
Arctic sea ice cover1909-04-2022 08:29
New Ice age by 203014004-04-2022 16:10
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact