Remember me
▼ Content

Fighting climate change by restoring nature

Fighting climate change by restoring nature22-06-2020 17:47
Charlie@TreeTop
☆☆☆☆☆
(1)
Trying to launch a new concept called TreeTop.

We believe that engaging people to restore nature is an effective way of tackling climate change. Our solution lets users pay regular, small amounts towards a newly area of woodland which we plant and maintain on their behalf - they can then track tree growth and the equivalent carbon capture through a mobile app / digital experience... they can interact with something tangible that they can see making a difference.

Would be great to get some feedback on whether this forum thinks that this would be a good climate change solution. One of many that are needed, of course.
22-06-2020 18:50
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
Charlie@TreeTop wrote:

We believe that engaging people to restore nature is an effective way of tackling climate change. Our solution lets users pay regular, small amounts towards a newly area of woodland which we plant and maintain on their behalf - they can then track tree growth and the equivalent carbon capture through a mobile app / digital experience... they can interact with something tangible that they can see making a difference.

Would be great to get some feedback on whether this forum thinks that this would be a good climate change solution. One of many that are needed, of course.

Hi Charlie, and welcome to the forum. A few questions for you (assuming that you are speaking on a global level) ...

1) What do you mean by "restore nature"? What is the current state of nature, and what state are you attempting to bring nature back to?

2) What is "Climate Change"? How can there be a "solution" to something that is undefined?

3) How do you track how much carbon a tree is "capturing"?
22-06-2020 20:57
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2938)
Hi Charlie.

Hey just one question for you.

Is the app capable of tracking carbon release when a tree dies?
22-06-2020 22:05
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21671)
Charlie@TreeTop wrote:

A few problems:

Define 'restore nature'.
Define 'climate change'.
Spamming carbon tax programs is spamming.
You can't have a 'solution' for what you cannot define.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
22-06-2020 22:06
(21671)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Hi Charlie.

Hey just one question for you.

Is the app capable of tracking carbon release when a tree dies?

For that matter, how is this app tracking trees that die?

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
23-06-2020 00:11
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
2 different science papers say planting trees isn't the answer.

One paper says that financial incentives to plant trees can backfire and reduce biodiversity with little impact on carbon emissions.

A separate project found that the amount of carbon that new forests can absorb may be overestimated.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/climate-change-planting-forests-more-150356762.html
23-06-2020 02:08
(21671)
James___ wrote:
2 different science papers say planting trees isn't the answer.

One paper says that financial incentives to plant trees can backfire and reduce biodiversity with little impact on carbon emissions.

A separate project found that the amount of carbon that new forests can absorb may be overestimated.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/climate-change-planting-forests-more-150356762.html

The answer to what? Climate change? Define 'climate change'.

The Parrot Killer

23-06-2020 04:02
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14470)
James___ wrote: 2 different science papers say planting trees isn't the answer.

They aren't science papers. They are "studies." This means that some political activist wants to publish his stupid opinion in a manner that presents his opinion as not his opinion.

James___ wrote: One paper says that financial incentives to plant trees can backfire and reduce biodiversity with little impact on carbon emissions.

Now that's some pretty heavy science right there, let me tell you.

James___ wrote: A separate project found that the amount of carbon that new forests can absorb may be overestimated.

How could that happen? Carbon absorption by "forests" is such an exact science that there's no way "they" can get that wrong.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
23-06-2020 10:25
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Nature will take care of itself, if you let it. Planting stuff if farming, gardening, landscaping, not nature, not natural. Nature, isn't a tree in Central Park. Nature is when you leave shit alone. Basically, we are being asked to pay money, to make sure a wooded area, in Central Park, isn't left alone.

Would we get our money back, when they knock down the trees, to build a road, parking lot, condos, a stip mall?

Join the debate Fighting climate change by restoring nature:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Restoring Alkalinity to the Ocean42002-05-2024 09:45
The Public Cure For COVID SARS-COV-2 Is Reconnect With Nature Earth114-01-2022 19:13
Many Sports Becoming Commercial Business Money Industry Instead Of Real Spirit Fighting Battle220-06-2021 00:46
Why are we fighting clomate change, rather than preparing for changes?217-06-2021 03:06
Nature stops humans burning fossil fuel101-05-2020 19:13
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact