Remember me
▼ Content

Climate scientists are struggling to find the right words for very bad news


Climate scientists are struggling to find the right words for very bad news06-10-2018 20:33
James___
★★★☆☆
(851)
...With something like this I don't think they know the specific role that CO2 plays in our atmosphere. They haven't considered the possibility that the Earth's gravitational field is responsible for the troposphere as well as the tropopause and the mesopause which helps to insulate the Earth's atmosphere just as the Van Allen radiation belts trap highly ionized particles.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/energy-environment/2018/10/03/climate-scientists-are-struggling-find-right-words-very-bad-news/?utm_term=.7d73cd9ace45
06-10-2018 20:56
Into the Night
★★★★★
(6074)
James___ wrote:
...With something like this I don't think they know the specific role that CO2 plays in our atmosphere.

In terms of temperature, none...zero...nada.
James___ wrote:
They haven't considered the possibility that the Earth's gravitational field is responsible for the troposphere as well as the tropopause and the mesopause which helps to insulate the Earth's atmosphere

The tropopause and the msopause ARE part of Earth's atmosphere. They don't insulate anything.
James___ wrote:
just as the Van Allen radiation belts trap highly ionized particles.

You can't trap heat.


The Parrot Killer
01-11-2018 02:26
Wake
★★★★★
(3509)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
...With something like this I don't think they know the specific role that CO2 plays in our atmosphere.

In terms of temperature, none...zero...nada.
James___ wrote:
They haven't considered the possibility that the Earth's gravitational field is responsible for the troposphere as well as the tropopause and the mesopause which helps to insulate the Earth's atmosphere

The tropopause and the msopause ARE part of Earth's atmosphere. They don't insulate anything.
James___ wrote:
just as the Van Allen radiation belts trap highly ionized particles.

You can't trap heat.


The atmosphere as a whole changes radiated heat into molecular transfer. This slows the heat transfer to space so after a fashion CO2 like any other component of the atmosphere acts to slow the exit of solar energy from the Earth to space.

There are ionized particles in the Van Allen Belts. They have no effect other than as trapped ionizing radiation until they are degraded to radiated heat.
01-11-2018 03:07
Into the Night
★★★★★
(6074)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
[quote]James___ wrote:
...With something like this I don't think they know the specific role that CO2 plays in our atmosphere.

In terms of temperature, none...zero...nada.
James___ wrote:
They haven't considered the possibility that the Earth's gravitational field is responsible for the troposphere as well as the tropopause and the mesopause which helps to insulate the Earth's atmosphere

The tropopause and the msopause ARE part of Earth's atmosphere. They don't insulate anything.
James___ wrote:
just as the Van Allen radiation belts trap highly ionized particles.

You can't trap heat.


The atmosphere as a whole changes radiated heat into molecular transfer.
Wake wrote:
This slows the heat transfer to space

Absorption destroys the photon. It does not slow it down or stop it...it DESTROYS it.
Radiance CREATES a photon. It does not slow it down or stop it.

You can't slow or trap heat.
Wake wrote:
so after a fashion CO2 like any other component of the atmosphere acts to slow the exit of solar energy from the Earth to space.

No, it doesn't. You are denying the Stefan-Boltzmann law again.
Wake wrote:
There are ionized particles in the Van Allen Belts. They have no effect other than as trapped ionizing radiation until they are degraded to radiated heat.

The particles in the Van Allen Belt do not heat the Earth.


The Parrot Killer




Join the debate Climate scientists are struggling to find the right words for very bad news:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Fake News? Response to a Trump Tweet...1801-12-2018 20:19
"Freakishly Warm" Arctic Weather Has Scientists Reconsidering Worst-Case Scenarios on Climate1104-06-2018 20:50
Alan Rusbridger: Climate change must be prominent on our news websites ...020-05-2018 13:59
Google And Fake News3410-04-2018 21:22
The Trump Administration Wants To Debate Climate Change On TV. Here's What Scientists Think About It 1506-03-2018 23:53
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know


Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2017 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact