Remember me
▼ Content

Yeah, I guess we are

Yeah, I guess we are07-01-2015 13:03
Abraham3Profile picture★★☆☆☆
(256)
Perhaps intelligence and knowledge has reached that critical "hundredth-monkey" point.
10-02-2015 18:24
greyviper
☆☆☆☆☆
(44)
Abraham3 wrote:
Perhaps intelligence and knowledge has reached that critical "hundredth-monkey" point.

Seriously dude, what does the term "hundredth-monkey" means?
I am quite lazy of googling it and i'm probably too noob to have read it for the first time here, right on your post.
12-02-2015 00:48
(256)
A couple of decades book, there was a book that fed right in to the 60's naturalism. It presented a story about a species of monkey living on Japanese islands - the snow monkeys one often sees in photos. Here is a better explanation that I could give, from Wikipedia:

The story of the hundredth monkey effect was published in Lyall Watson's foreword to Lawrence Blair's Rhythms of Vision in 1975,[2] and spread with the appearance of Watson's 1979 book Lifetide. The account is that unidentified scientists were conducting a study of macaque monkeys on the Japanese island of Koshima in 1952.[3] These scientists observed that some of these monkeys learned to wash sweet potatoes, and gradually this new behavior spread through the younger generation of monkeys—in the usual fashion, through observation and repetition. Watson then concluded that the researchers observed that once a critical number of monkeys was reached—the so-called hundredth monkey—this previously learned behavior instantly spread across the water to monkeys on nearby islands.
This story was further popularised by Ken Keyes, Jr. with the publication of his book The Hundredth Monkey. Keyes's book was about the devastating effects of nuclear war on the planet. Keyes presented the hundredth monkey effect story as an inspirational parable, applying it to human society and the effecting of positive change.[4]
12-02-2015 02:47
greyviper
☆☆☆☆☆
(44)
Abraham3 wrote:
A couple of decades book, there was a book that fed right in to the 60's naturalism. It presented a story about a species of monkey living on Japanese islands - the snow monkeys one often sees in photos. Here is a better explanation that I could give, from Wikipedia:

The story of the hundredth monkey effect was published in Lyall Watson's foreword to Lawrence Blair's Rhythms of Vision in 1975,[2] and spread with the appearance of Watson's 1979 book Lifetide. The account is that unidentified scientists were conducting a study of macaque monkeys on the Japanese island of Koshima in 1952.[3] These scientists observed that some of these monkeys learned to wash sweet potatoes, and gradually this new behavior spread through the younger generation of monkeys—in the usual fashion, through observation and repetition. Watson then concluded that the researchers observed that once a critical number of monkeys was reached—the so-called hundredth monkey—this previously learned behavior instantly spread across the water to monkeys on nearby islands.
This story was further popularised by Ken Keyes, Jr. with the publication of his book The Hundredth Monkey. Keyes's book was about the devastating effects of nuclear war on the planet. Keyes presented the hundredth monkey effect story as an inspirational parable, applying it to human society and the effecting of positive change.[4]

Wow, quite fascinating. I could liken this to bandwagon effect on humans...

We have this tendency of going with what the majority does. Although there is more of a psychological effect probably. I just hope that this 'hundreth monkey' effect goes for the good...i mean those behavior that would eventually have beneficial results.
12-02-2015 05:08
Cornelius
☆☆☆☆☆
(17)
Hi Greyviper,

Quite true.

Humans do have a tendency to follow the crowd. And like you suggested, hopefully for the right reasons.

The reason behind why we have that tendency is the thing of interest, that will essentially get us into trouble as a collective, or out of it.

If we choose something that is in harmony with Love......good result.
If we choose something out of harmony with Love.......bad result.

Our choices come down to what and how we react to the things that we are afraid of.

From out young formative years.....we were told what to do, what to learn, how to think, and how to act, how to dress by our culture, family, schools, religion. etc.
So we were taught to be like the current world is, to be accepted.
There was very little encouragement to discover who we are as an individual, and what we thought, what we felt, what our own passions were, and if we were to express them, there was often backlash.

So essentially we were told how to think, how to act, what was important to learn about, what things the world accepted and what things it didn't.
To go outside of the parameters, we quickly learned as a young person that the result was, that love was withdrawn from us in our attempt to express ourselves. Mostly in the form of chastisement, rejection, ridicule, shame, belittlement, condescension....to name a few.
Every time these feelings came at us, in that same moment, love is not coming at us, because none of those are qualities of love.
And as a little person in a big world, that feel very painful, particularly if it was from our parents or things that they felt were important to them....not me. So after a few attempts and the same result (pain), we learned to change ourselves to being what our immediate world accepted, in order to avoid the feeling of rejection of Love.

And here we are.

Doing what the majority does, because we are afraid just to be ourselves.
Never taught to think for ourselves, open up our creative ideas or thoughts, express our true feelings, embrace new imformation.......still afraid of getting shot down and having to feel that horrible feeling of being rejected.

Many people do not like what the majority is doing but are afraid to stand up against it....often because it just feels too overwhelming to try. Because the majority also want to defend their own unloving actions too and will often turn to violence to do it. When there is sometimes one person against billions.....that's pretty confronting.

So if the environment is in big trouble, and humans are the cause, and if we have a condition of doing what the majority does, and it's THE destructive action that is causing the problem.....then what is the majority doing?

The evidence is stacked against the desire to consume meat as a food source and it's actions and impact on the environment to provide that which is just simply not sustainable....therefore causing untold damage to the environment.
Not only scientifically, mathematically, and materially, but if you want to add the 100th monkey theory into it....... that we have the tendency to do what the majority does......the psychological effect (which I call the human emotional effect), weighs in the most heaviest......which is why we often try and avoid it.

As too will the people's reaction to want to defend an unloving action. They will get angry.

Just because everyone does it, doesn't mean it's right!
Particularly if everyone is doing the most destructive thing!
12-02-2015 13:01
(256)
I'd just like to point out that before you convince humanity to adopt your philosophy regarding love, we will all be dead from a hundred causes whose common solutions were all educated common sense.
13-02-2015 09:31
Cornelius
☆☆☆☆☆
(17)
......and what would then have been the meaning and the point to your life?

You seem very jaded and hurt about Love.
13-02-2015 12:31
(256)
At least in some small way to prevent those things from happening.
10-10-2015 19:06
trafnProfile picture★★★☆☆
(779)
Perhaps what the hundredth monkey needs is just a few more typewriters.

From: The Infinite Monkey Theorem (i.e. - given an infinite length of time, a chimpanzee punching at random on a typewriter would almost surely type out all of Shakespeare's plays).
11-10-2015 19:03
EarthlingProfile picture★☆☆☆☆
(107)
Hmmm, so your avatar isn't your photo, trfn.
11-10-2015 23:42
trafnProfile picture★★★☆☆
(779)

Join the debate Yeah, I guess we are:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Well it sure is quiet in here, I guess none of you with the top secret clearances are allowed722-09-2023 17:43
There hasn't been a big war since 1991 so I guess CO2 is all we hear about until423-02-2019 21:45
So yeah I saw this on Tinder ...230-05-2018 05:58
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact