Remember me
▼ Content

wishful thinking

wishful thinking26-04-2020 18:31
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
Wishful thinking is becoming a way of making decisions in the us.
This has got to be simmered down!
Issues from covid treatments to covid vaccines to funding issues to opening of states and more. It seems to be a way of doing business and a way of educating people.
We have to get real.
No semantics arguments welcome.
The stock market has a slogan - "Hope is not a strategy".
Edited on 26-04-2020 18:36
26-04-2020 18:58
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
Wishful thinking, was that a lockdown, was going to significantly reduce the spread of this virus. Obviously, they were at the very least, two months late, to even pretend it could have any effect. Literally hundreds, of thousand of international travelers came through our airports, and all over the world. It would have only taken on infected person, per flight, to infect most of the other passengers. Each of those passengers would have been potentially in contact with hundreds on the ground. Containment wasn't an option from the start. Didn't work in China, where the problem started.

It's wishful thinking that hundreds of millions of people, will peacefully sit at home, for a year or more, while their savings, and everything they spent their life earning, slips away, bills piling up, and no means to pay. The prospect of spending years, just to get caught up, is crushing. Trump did okay, stringing out the isolation time, but he knew, like most, that it would only work for a month or two. The democrats, the media, the health profession, haven't been helping, by keep pushing the premise that we can't re-open the economy, until there is an effective vaccine. Which of course, won't be available to the public, until late summer, next year... The restrictions will be lifted, one way or another, very soon. People with nothing left to lose, or more dangerous than any cold virus. It's rapidly getting to that point.
26-04-2020 19:07
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
Harvey,
Do you see the wishful thinking in your rant?
On the other hand, i don't want to profess negativity too much. It's just that there is too much wishful thinking. Got to be a balance and we don't have a realistic balance right now.
Also, don't be such a nitpicker. This is a general principles thing i'm talking about.
26-04-2020 19:32
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
keepit wrote:

That is true for just about everything, everywhere. The U.S. has no copyright on this.
keepit wrote:

Why? You want to stifle innovation?
keepit wrote:
Issues from covid treatments

Since you seem to want to stifle innovation, how is any treatment for Covid19 going to be developed?
keepit wrote:
to covid vaccines

Vaccines do not cure a virus. They are not a treatment. Since you want to stifle innovation, how is a vaccine going to be developed?
keepit wrote:
to funding issues to opening of states and more.

The United States is organized as a federated republic. That means each State is also a republic. They have constitutions. People expect their government to follow the limitations and declarations in those constitutions. That's why protests against these governors is increasing. House arrest is unconstitutional. Banning businesses on a widespread basis is unconstitutional.
keepit wrote:
It seems to be a way of doing business and a way of educating people.

Of course it is. Everywhere. Not just the United States.
keepit wrote:
We have to get real.

Define 'real'.
keepit wrote:

Then don't start one by using buzzwords that you can't define.
keepit wrote:

Hope is a strategy, in the stock market, in business, in farming, in anything.

A farmer plants his crop in the hope that it will grow through the season and mature to the point of harvest, and that there will be a market for the product harvested when harvest comes around.

A business goes into business with the hope that it's going to make a profit.

You drive your car with the hope that you are going to get to your destination.

You create a theory, in the hope that you can build a null hypothesis for it, and conduct tests against the theory, that it survives those tests, and it becomes a theory of science.

You purchase a product, in the hope that your purchase will be a good one. You spend time researching a product you are going to purchase, in the hope that you will find what you are looking for.

To deny hope is to deny faith. Faith is pervasive. It's everywhere, even for atheists.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
26-04-2020 19:36
(21582)
keepit wrote:
Harvey,

Do you see the wishful thinking on YOUR part?
keepit wrote:
On the other hand, i don't want to profess negativity too much.

Lie.
keepit wrote:
It's just that there is too much wishful thinking.

Such as yours?
keepit wrote:
Got to be a balance

Balance of what?
keepit wrote:
and we don't have a realistic balance right now.

Balance of what? Buzzword fallacy.
keepit wrote:
Also, don't be such a nitpicker.

You are nitpicking. You are allowed to, but he isn't????
keepit wrote:
This is a general principles thing i'm talking about.

Lie. You are nitpicking now.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
26-04-2020 20:06
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
itn,
You're the disinformation guy, not me. And i don't need civics lessons from the likes of you. You're not going to try to give me flying lessons are you?
26-04-2020 21:13
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
keepit wrote:
Harvey,
On the other hand, i don't want to profess negativity too much. It's just that there is too much wishful thinking. Got to be a balance and we don't have a realistic balance right now.
Also, don't be such a nitpicker. This is a general principles thing i'm talking about.

It's a free county, people are free to hide in their houses all they want. You aren't free to dictate that everyone has to fear living, as much as you do. Nature provides us with a perfectly good system of adapting to infectious diseases, which is getting screwed up by the lockdown. Life has always been survival of the fittest. There will always be a certain segment, not up to the challenge of living. Living isn't hiding in your basement, hoping and wishing the scary virus goes away. It won't, it's here to stay. Every living thing on this planet, is going to die, sometime. Some are dying right now, some will die tomorrow, and some might survive another 50-60 years. Makes no difference if you are working, or hiding in your basement, the day will eventual come around for all of us. I don't have a basement to hide in...
26-04-2020 21:19
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
Harvey,
Your personal philosophies are interesting. I like hearing them from time to time.
However, i don't try to dictate anything. For some reason you and your cronies have misconceptions about that. Something about your background i guess.
26-04-2020 21:39
(21582)
keepit wrote:
itn,
You're the disinformation guy, not me.

Inversion fallacy.
keepit wrote:
And i don't need civics lessons from the likes of you.

Apparently you do.
keepit wrote:
You're not going to try to give me flying lessons are you?

No. I doubt you would qualify anyway. You could never pass the written test either.

The Parrot Killer

26-04-2020 21:41
(21582)
keepit wrote:
Harvey,
Your personal philosophies are interesting. I like hearing them from time to time.
However, i don't try to dictate anything.

Lie.
keepit wrote:
For some reason you and your cronies have misconceptions about that.

Not at all.
keepit wrote:
Something about your background i guess.

No, it's because you try to dictate things to people.

The Parrot Killer

26-04-2020 21:59
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
itn,
You thinking i'm trying to dictate almost rises to the level of delusion but rather it is just that you are full of baloney.
26-04-2020 22:01
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
itn,
Flight tests.
Heh heh.
Flying has always been my ace in the hole.
Your thought about me being unable to pass flying tests is just your wishful thinking.
Edited on 26-04-2020 22:08
27-04-2020 01:01
(21582)
keepit wrote:
itn,
You thinking i'm trying to dictate almost rises to the level of delusion but rather it is just that you are full of baloney.

You are trying to dictate. You support others trying to dictate.

The Parrot Killer

27-04-2020 01:02
(21582)
keepit wrote:
itn,
Flight tests.
Heh heh.
Flying has always been my ace in the hole.
Your thought about me being unable to pass flying tests is just your wishful thinking.

I don't believe you.

The Parrot Killer

27-04-2020 05:12
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
You keep telling yourself.
27-04-2020 06:05
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
keepit wrote:
Issues from covid treatments to covid vaccines to funding issues to opening of states and more. It seems to be a way of doing business and a way of educating people.
We have to get real.

Let's tell Sem that his antics are not welcome.
Attached image:

Join the debate wishful thinking:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Why humans are so bad at thinking about climate change?2119-02-2024 00:26
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact