william happer

Page 3 of 4<1234>
04-12-2021 20:18
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21597)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Not the definition of heat. Try again.

The concept of heat is defined by the 2nd law of thermodynamics, which you are ignoring.

I think the real issue is that you do not understand what the 1st law of thermodynamics allows for. An example is that if you were to create a fire to cook the game you caught (like GasGuzzler does) you would be converting matter into plasma.
And it would be the plasma which is heat and cooks your dinner. This is because the wood you would be burning (charcoal which can be of wood origin and again what GasGuzzler might do would radiate heat) would be giving off (emitting) a gas which would be converted into highly ionized particles.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
04-12-2021 21:59
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
James,
Heat refers to the transfer of existing thermal energy. No transfer, no heat. Heat isn't the thermal energy itself, just the transfer of thermal energy.
google explains it pretty well imho.
04-12-2021 23:16
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
keepit wrote:
James,
Heat refers to the transfer of existing thermal energy. No transfer, no heat. Heat isn't the thermal energy itself, just the transfer of thermal energy.

If thermal energy is plasma then it's not electromagnetic radiation. This is why I did not reference electricity. With electricity, when electrons are converted into emitted black body radiation it is electromagnetic radiation.
With plasma such as burning something or radiated heat from a non-electrical source then it tends to be plasma. If you use propane or a gas stove/oven, then that gas is being converted into plasma.
04-12-2021 23:22
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14406)
keepit wrote:James, Heat refers to the transfer of existing thermal energy.

The correct word is "flow" which has power units of measure. The word "transfer" implies that the flow has already completed and is a binary measure, i.e. TRUE or FALSE.

Once thermal energy has transferred it is no longer flowing and is no longer heating anything. The heat exists while the energy is flowing.

keepit wrote:google explains it pretty well imho.

Google seems to have gotten it very, very wrong. Of course, what's more likely is that Google, being a search engine, did not provide you with any explanation. Instead, you just pulled yet another nugget out of your azz and now you are trying to make everyone think that the schytt is coming from Google instead of coming from your scientific illiteracy.
04-12-2021 23:24
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

The concept of heat is defined by the 2nd law of thermodynamics, which you are ignoring.

I think the real issue is that you do not understand what the 1st law of thermodynamics allows for. An example is that if you were to create a fire to cook the game you caught (like GasGuzzler does) you would be converting matter into plasma.
And it would be the plasma which is heat and cooks your dinner. This is because the wood you would be burning (charcoal which can be of wood origin and again what GasGuzzler might do would radiate heat) would be giving off (emitting) a gas which would be converted into highly ionized particles.

I owe you an apology ITN et All. You guys aren't toxic. You just have differing opinions. And you're right ITN, that's not the definition of heat which is a flow of energy. You are correct my friend. What it was was an explanation of what heat "is".
With plasma energy, the highly ionized charged particles would seem to look for a "cold" medium to transfer there heat energy to in accordance with the laws of thermodynamics. I think it's 2nd law where an equilibrium is being pursued so that the hot plasma gas can reach an equilibrium with what it is exposed to.

p.s., Because I was in the Navy I just gotta have some fun with this. When a gas turbine is burning hot in the night, it is heating the atmosphere which pushes back against the jet's exhaust.

Ode 2 ITN
The night sky expands to resist the heat coming from the bird of prey and it's Midnight Sun. Thus the night resists the giant bird in the sky and its burning fire and casts them both further into the night.
And when the morning Sun rises from the darkness of Into the Night, the Bird of Prey nor its Midnight Sun can be found in the light of day. They were vanquished because what goes into the night is the setting Sun and all that it takes with it.
Edited on 04-12-2021 23:47
04-12-2021 23:49
(14406)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:Not the definition of heat. Try again.
You just have differing opinions.

Science and math are not subjective matters of opinion.

James___ wrote:What it was was an explanation of what heat "is".

Nope. It was an erroneous description.

James___ wrote: highly ionized charged particles would seem to look for a "cold" medium

No, it does not seem that way. There is no searching on the part of particles.

Also, particles are not thermal energy, nor are particles a form of heat.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
05-12-2021 01:32
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:

James___ wrote: highly ionized charged particles would seem to look for a "cold" medium

Maybe we need to discuss plasma physics? Some consider it the 5th state of matter.
05-12-2021 02:03
(14406)
James___ wrote:Maybe we need to discuss plasma physics?

Yep, I think we do.

Do you realize that Stefan-Boltzmann applies to plasma? Yes, that's right, Stefan-Boltzmann applies to all matter, everywhere, always.

James___ wrote:Some consider it the 5th state of matter.

Some consider plasma simply one endpoint on an entire spectrum. What happens to matter once it passes beyond the event horizon of a black hole? Sure, the electrons are stripped from the protons, but what else? Obviously no one has observed such an occurrence, nor has anyone observed what happens to matter as a black hole grows and the matter within is warp-crushed into possibly multiple different states, or a state continuum, of which we are totally unaware under conditions we simply cannot replicate. As such, we have no physics models at this time to predict how such matter will behave.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
05-12-2021 02:40
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

Yep, I think we do.

Do you realize that Stefan-Boltzmann applies to plasma? Yes, that's right, Stefan-Boltzmann applies to all matter, everywhere, always.

Some consider plasma simply one endpoint on an entire spectrum. What happens to matter once it passes beyond the event horizon of a black hole? Sure, the electrons are stripped from the protons, but what else? Obviously no one has observed such an occurrence, nor has anyone observed what happens to matter as a black hole grows and the matter within is warp-crushed into possibly multiple different states, or a state continuum, of which we are totally unaware under conditions we simply cannot replicate. As such, we have no physics models at this time to predict how such matter will behave.

I think everyone knows that when the event horizon of a Black Hole creates "matter" that it is the product of the energy being absorbed by that Black Hole.
In GasGuzzler's terms it would be the result of combustion where the Black Hole absorbs the heat but not the work (ie., torque, hp, matter) it created.
With plasma, this is closer to what I said;

Plasma physics is the study of a state of matter comprising charged particles.
https://www.nature.com/subjects/plasma-physics
05-12-2021 03:31
(14406)
James___ wrote:I think everyone knows ...

... by which you mean that you alone believe ...

James___ wrote:... that when the event horizon of a Black Hole creates "matter"

Event horizons do not create matter.

James___ wrote: ... that it is the product of the energy being absorbed by that Black Hole.

This doesn't even make sense. How is it that the event horizon is creating matter when the black hole must first absorb the energy?

James___ wrote:In GasGuzzler's terms ...

I would prefer to let GasGuzzler speak for himself.
05-12-2021 03:40
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:I think everyone knows ...

... by which you mean that you alone believe ...

James___ wrote:... that when the event horizon of a Black Hole creates "matter"

Event horizons do not create matter.

James___ wrote: ... that it is the product of the energy being absorbed by that Black Hole.

This doesn't even make sense. How is it that the event horizon is creating matter when the black hole must first absorb the energy?

James___ wrote:In GasGuzzler's terms ...

I would prefer to let GasGuzzler speak for himself.

This is sad. And to think I called you son. I think GasGuzzler understands this, why he enjoys his dinner. Then again cooking food with a heating element might be different than natural gas or barbecuing it. It might be drier. Basically the fats in the meat might be heated and would drain as a result.
With plasma, it would be more reactive and might allow for cooking meat while leaving it "rare". Maybe GasGuzzler can share his experience with how he likes his dinner cooked and his opinion about electricity vs other cooking methods?
05-12-2021 04:41
(14406)
James___ wrote:This is sad.

Cry me a river.

James___ wrote: With plasma, it would be more reactive and might allow for cooking meat while leaving it "rare".

Explain. I notice that, as you do in every post, use the words "allow for" which totally obliterates any point you might have possibly had. I suppose plasma allows for rain, wind, soccer games, personal satisfaction, angular momentum, red M&Ms, salt flats, hot babes, monster trucks, great gas mileage, shitty gas mileage, sweet-and-sour sauce, route tables, serverless services, tree removal, flight suits, popular reforms, rock music and anything else it doesn't prevent.

05-12-2021 05:04
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:This is sad.

Cry me a river.

James___ wrote: With plasma, it would be more reactive and might allow for cooking meat while leaving it "rare".

Explain. I notice that, as you do in every post, use the words "allow for" which totally obliterates any point you might have possibly had. I suppose plasma allows for rain, wind, soccer games, personal satisfaction, angular momentum, red M&Ms, salt flats, hot babes, monster trucks, great gas mileage, shitty gas mileage, sweet-and-sour sauce, route tables, serverless services, tree removal, flight suits, popular reforms, rock music and anything else it doesn't prevent.

Am sorry I hurt your feelings son but this is sad. There is a difference when it comes to cooking meat. If you heat up a burrito in a microwave oven, it's power vs time. That's how you heat one.
With a fire (flame) or with barbecuing, it's different. I'd say you have to cook the meat slower like when you cook it in the ground overnight. It's slow cooking.
A turkey in an electric oven is the best comparison. It takes hours to cook and it needs to be basted or otherwise it will dry out.
05-12-2021 06:02
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
@GasGuzzler, please notice the truck. I happen to like her because she signs.
I'm not deaf but people with normal hearing don't like me. Watching her videos is allowing me to become familiar with ASL.
I also watch other videos of people who sign. I won't expect you guys to understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcnR5zmFaXQ
05-12-2021 06:33
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
And this is her cover of Disturbed covering the Sounds of Silence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I2x9rU3Aog

Maybe you guys might consider not everyone has it so good.
05-12-2021 06:43
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
And then there's this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdnjAjw90eE
05-12-2021 07:06
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
With her https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAeTeaaTI5Q she might be easier to follow.
In the deaf community, some can have a conservation with you. Their basic rule is no talking. It is considered offensive.
I am neither deaf nor a person who can fit in with people who have normal hearing. If my hearing were worse then I might know sign language.

And the vido that got me watching ASL videos; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AJx-Koq5yQ
Edited on 05-12-2021 07:13
05-12-2021 07:24
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
This is where we might have a problem. I doubt she's an American and her boyfriend/husband drives a gas guzzler. Watcher her hands https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdnjAjw90eE
and not her, okay? It's called sign language for a reason.

p.s., Merry Christmas guys!!
05-12-2021 07:26
(14406)
James___ wrote:Am sorry I hurt your feelings

I was born without feelings. I don't even have widdow-feewings.

James___ wrote:There is a difference when it comes to cooking meat.

Nope. Once something crosses the event horizon and unites with the black hole, it doesn't matter if it was originally meat, cake or WD-40.

James___ wrote:If you heat up a burrito in a microwave oven, it's power vs time.

Well, I think you mean "amount of energy absorbed" as determined by:

=> Power * Time * absorptivity of the burrito

= [energy_unit per unit_time] * [Time unit_time] * absorptivity

unit_time(s) cancel

= [energy_unit * Time] * absorptivity

= The overall amount of Energy absorbed by the burrito.

I'm sure this is what you meant, right?

James___ wrote: With a fire (flame) or with barbecuing, it's different.

Correct. There is an entirely different equation involving conduction (and convection which incorporates conduction) as well as the equation above, for all of which the difficulty will be high getting exact values for the equations. It's much easier to just eyeball the burger as to when it should be flipped.

05-12-2021 20:49
(21597)
James___ wrote:
keepit wrote:
James,

If thermal energy is plasma then it's not electromagnetic radiation.

It is neither.
James___ wrote:
This is why I did not reference electricity. With electricity, when electrons are converted into emitted black body radiation it is electromagnetic radiation.

Electrons are not converted into black body radiation.
James___ wrote:
With plasma such as burning something or radiated heat from a non-electrical source then it tends to be plasma. If you use propane or a gas stove/oven, then that gas is being converted into plasma.

Heat is not plasma.

Try again.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
05-12-2021 20:54
(21597)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

I owe you an apology ITN et All. You guys aren't toxic. You just have differing opinions. And you're right ITN, that's not the definition of heat which is a flow of energy.

Heat is not the flow of energy. Heat is the flow of THERMAL energy.
James___ wrote:
You are correct my friend. What it was was an explanation of what heat "is".

Plasma is not heat.
James___ wrote:
With plasma energy, the highly ionized charged particles would seem to look for a "cold" medium to transfer there heat energy to in accordance with the laws of thermodynamics. I think it's 2nd law where an equilibrium is being pursued so that the hot plasma gas can reach an equilibrium with what it is exposed to.

Plasma is not energy.
James___ wrote:
p.s., Because I was in the Navy I just gotta have some fun with this. When a gas turbine is burning hot in the night, it is heating the atmosphere which pushes back against the jet's exhaust.

The atmosphere does not push on the jet engine or it's exhaust.
James___ wrote:
Ode 2 ITN
The night sky expands to resist the heat coming from the bird of prey and it's Midnight Sun. Thus the night resists the giant bird in the sky and its burning fire and casts them both further into the night.
And when the morning Sun rises from the darkness of Into the Night, the Bird of Prey nor its Midnight Sun can be found in the light of day. They were vanquished because what goes into the night is the setting Sun and all that it takes with it.

Random phrases. No apparent coherency.

The Parrot Killer

05-12-2021 20:55
(21597)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:

Maybe we need to discuss plasma physics? Some consider it the 5th state of matter.

Plasma is not heat.

The Parrot Killer

05-12-2021 20:56
(21597)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Yep, I think we do.

I think everyone knows that when the event horizon of a Black Hole creates "matter" that it is the product of the energy being absorbed by that Black Hole.
In GasGuzzler's terms it would be the result of combustion where the Black Hole absorbs the heat but not the work (ie., torque, hp, matter) it created.
With plasma, this is closer to what I said;

Plasma physics is the study of a state of matter comprising charged particles.
https://www.nature.com/subjects/plasma-physics

You don't get to speak for everyone. You don't get to speak for GasGuzzler. You only get to speak for you. Omniscience fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

07-12-2021 10:39
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Plasma is the 4th state of matter and plasma cutters sure get hot.I have used them.
07-12-2021 20:01
(21597)
duncan61 wrote:
Plasma is the 4th state of matter and plasma cutters sure get hot.I have used them.

But they are not heat.

The Parrot Killer

07-12-2021 20:29
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Good example of heat at work.You do not let anything go through to the keeper do you?How many plasma cutters do you think Josef Stefan owned in 1890?
07-12-2021 20:56
(14406)
duncan61 wrote:Good example of heat at work.

It's somewhat humorous that you pretend to know what heat is instead of simply learning what heat is, and you interestingly combined "heat" and "work" in the same sentence to create one totally conflated concept.

Heat (a measure of power) at work (a measure of energy).

When you use the word "heat" shall we just assume that you actually mean "plasma cutters" and just move forward with the discussion?

08-12-2021 19:44
(21597)
duncan61 wrote:
Good example of heat at work.You do not let anything go through to the keeper do you?How many plasma cutters do you think Josef Stefan owned in 1890?

Heat, however, is not thermal energy. It is not work either. Heat has no temperature.

Plasma cutters have been around since fire. Plasma cutters can consume wood, leaves, and lately, metal.

A single candle can destroy a building if carelessly handled.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 08-12-2021 19:46
08-12-2021 19:52
(14406)
Into the Night wrote:A single candle can destroy a building if carelessly handled.

A single flame can destroy Beirut if unfortunately placed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNDhIGR-83w

09-12-2021 23:26
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
ibd,
Heat isn't a flow. A "flow" is a "rate".
A transfer is an amount, as in calories. Bluffing isn't going to work here. Maybe a flow of bluff would work.
For Better Information check with google if you don't believe me.
Edited on 09-12-2021 23:38
10-12-2021 01:42
(14406)
keepit wrote:ibd, Heat isn't a flow. A "flow" is a "rate".

What do you think Power is? What? You don't ever think? OK, that explains your stupid comment. Thanks for the clarification.

keepit wrote:A transfer is an amount, as in calories.

Heat is a flow, measured in Power. Heat is not an amount of energy.

Bluffing isn't going to work here. Maybe a quantity of bluff would work at the kiddie table or on people who think Google is God.

10-12-2021 02:44
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

What do you think Power is? What? You don't ever think? OK, that explains your stupid comment. Thanks for the clarification.

Bluffing isn't going to work here. Maybe a quantity of bluff would work at the kiddie table or on people who think Google is God.

Yet Boltznann said that KE = 3/2kT. This means that heat and energy have have a specific relationship. And we've discussed this before because 3/2kT = 1/2mv^2. Basically if heat didn't have an affect on anything then it would have no energy. Pretty basic.
10-12-2021 02:50
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2933)
keepit wrote:
ibd,
A transfer is an amount, as in calories. Bluffing isn't going to work here. Maybe a flow of bluff would work.

I don't believe you, so I checked with Google. Yup, called him on the phone and this is what he (she?) said.

Google's library of "heat" definitions...

1. the quality of being hot; high temperature.

2. Heat is the form of energy that is transferred between systems or objects with different temperatures

3. Heat, or thermal energy is the sum of the kinetic energy of atoms or molecules

4. the amount of thermal energy in a system

5. the energy stored inside an object

6. to make warm or hot

Keepit, these are all correct, correct?

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
10-12-2021 02:55
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
ibd,
More name calling huh?
10-12-2021 02:59
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
Gas,
i don't think so.
10-12-2021 03:09
(21597)
keepit wrote:
ibd,

Heat is the flow of thermal energy. It is measured in calories.

Semantics fallacy.
False authority fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

10-12-2021 03:11
(21597)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Yet Boltznann said that KE = 3/2kT. This means that heat and energy have have a specific relationship. And we've discussed this before because 3/2kT = 1/2mv^2. Basically if heat didn't have an affect on anything then it would have no energy. Pretty basic.

Heat has no temperature.

The Parrot Killer

10-12-2021 03:52
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2933)
GasGuzzler wrote:
keepit wrote:
ibd,

I don't believe you, so I checked with Google. Yup, called him on the phone and this is what he (she?) said.

Google's library of "heat" definitions...

1. the quality of being hot; high temperature.

2. Heat is the form of energy that is transferred between systems or objects with different temperatures

3. Heat, or thermal energy is the sum of the kinetic energy of atoms or molecules

4. the amount of thermal energy in a system

5. the energy stored inside an object

6. to make warm or hot

Keepit, these are all correct, correct?

keepit wrote:
Gas,
i don't think so.

Thank you for being so specific. You really cleared this up for all of us.

Are you done waving Google around as the source of all correct information?

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
10-12-2021 04:15
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
Gas,
No, i'm not done using google. I think it's incredibly accurate and useful.
Sorry, but i didn't get specific basically for two reasons - phoning google didn't sound realistic and without going into deeper study all of the answers didn't seem scientific. It would have been way too much work to critique every answer.
10-12-2021 04:30
(14406)
keepit wrote:ibd,More name calling huh?

OK, you need more? Fair enough.

keepit, you are a scientifically illiterate moron, a complete idiot, a total dullard, the quintessential bonehead, the earwax of essential oils, an absolute twit, the consummate imbecile, a living brain-death, a certified door-stop, you pegged the "Stupid" needle, you short-out nearby cognitive activity, you are dimmer than the Mariana trench, your tripped circuit breaker was never reset ...

... but your mouth never got the memo.
Page 3 of 4<1234>

Join the debate william happer:

Remember me

▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact