Remember me
▼ Content

Why can't you say Venus is hotter than Mercury because Venus got CO2?

Page 1 of 4123>>>
Why can't you say Venus is hotter than Mercury because Venus got CO2?05-12-2019 17:02
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
Why would this claim not meet scientific standard?
05-12-2019 18:30
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

Why do planets like Mercury and Mars not have an atmosphere while the Earth and Venus have one? Both the Earth and Venus are warmer because they have atmospheres. The atmosphere of Venus is equal in pressure to a depth of 800 meters in the ocean.
Does F = G(m1m2/r^2) allow for some planets to have an atmosphere while others don't? It doesn't. We would need to understand that first before we could say whether or not Venus is so warm because of CO2.
05-12-2019 18:52
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

The only standard in science is that a theory must be falsifiable.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
05-12-2019 18:56
(21559)
James___ wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

Why do planets like Mercury and Mars not have an atmosphere

They do.
James___ wrote:
while the Earth and Venus have one?

They have a thicker atmosphere.
James___ wrote:
Both the Earth and Venus are warmer because they have atmospheres.

Nope. An atmosphere does not warm a planet. It is not a source of energy.
James___ wrote:
Does F = G(m1m2/r^2) allow for some planets to have an atmosphere while others don't?
Yes.
James___ wrote:
It doesn't.
It does.
James___ wrote:
We would need to understand that first before we could say whether or not Venus is so warm because of CO2.

That equation has nothing to do with temperature. There is no temperature in that equation at all.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
05-12-2019 19:27
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14373)
James___ wrote: Both the Earth and Venus are warmer because they have atmospheres.

James__, you know full well that the earth is demonstrably COOLER because it has an atmosphere.

Please tell me that you do not DENY the obvious. We have been over this exhaustively. We can easily compare the earth to the moon which is the exact same distance from the sun.

Yes, the earth's atmosphere has a huge refrigeration effect. Our ocean does not utterly boil away in the daytime because our atmosphere ensures it remains between very cool and freezing.

James__, just for you I'm going to repeat this. Our ocean does not utterly boil away in the daytime because our atmosphere ensures it remains between very cool and freezing.

That is one powerful refrigeration effect! Nowhere on the surface of the earth does the temperature ever reach 130degC ... like on the moon which has no atmosphere to refrigerate it like earth does.

James__, just for you I'm going to repeat this. Nowhere on the surface of the earth does the temperature ever reach 130degC ... like on the moon which has no atmosphere to refrigerate it like earth does.

You might be completely correct that CO2 plays a huge part in that, perhaps explaining why CO2 is an industrial refrigerant.

These man-made CO2 refrigeration units aren't even in the same league as the atmosphere's natural refrigeration power.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
05-12-2019 19:55
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote: Both the Earth and Venus are warmer because they have atmospheres.

James__, you know full well that the earth is demonstrably COOLER because it has an atmosphere.

Please tell me that you do not DENY the obvious. We have been over this exhaustively. We can easily compare the earth to the moon which is the exact same distance from the sun.

Yes, the earth's atmosphere has a huge refrigeration effect. Our ocean does not utterly boil away in the daytime because our atmosphere ensures it remains between very cool and freezing.

James__, just for you I'm going to repeat this. Our ocean does not utterly boil away in the daytime because our atmosphere ensures it remains between very cool and freezing.

That is one powerful refrigeration effect! Nowhere on the surface of the earth does the temperature ever reach 130degC ... like on the moon which has no atmosphere to refrigerate it like earth does.

James__, just for you I'm going to repeat this. Nowhere on the surface of the earth does the temperature ever reach 130degC ... like on the moon which has no atmosphere to refrigerate it like earth does.

You might be completely correct that CO2 plays a huge part in that, perhaps explaining why CO2 is an industrial refrigerant.

These man-made CO2 refrigeration units aren't even in the same league as the atmosphere's natural refrigeration power.

He was asking about planets and not satellites.
05-12-2019 20:11
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
So with the extra pressure and CO2 venus should be cold?
05-12-2019 23:50
(14373)
spot wrote: So with the extra pressure and CO2 venus should be cold?

I think I was very clear. There is no "should" in science.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
06-12-2019 01:07
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

Venus has a pressure over 1,334 psi. CO2 refrigerant systems do not use that much pressure. This is why I suggested why it would be important to understand why the inner planets have different atmospheres.
06-12-2019 04:36
(14373)
James___ wrote: Venus has a pressure over 1,334 psi. CO2 refrigerant systems do not use that much pressure.

Yes, there are definitiely some differences between the Venusian atmosphere and CO2 refrigeration systems. I can think of a few besides pressure.

James___ wrote:This is why I suggested why it would be important to understand why the inner planets have different atmospheres.

You don't think that perhaps it is just a brutally random occurrence? Some planets and moons have essentially no atmosphere. Some planets are just one big atmosphere. Stars began their existences as huge hydrogen-cloud-turned-fusion-reactors. Our solar system says "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" Our solar system has a complete open borders policy and lets anyone in that make it to the shores. There is absolutely no atmosphere requirement or restriction.

It's all completely random.

06-12-2019 06:03
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

It's all completely random.

Your mother dropped you on your head when you were a baby, right?
06-12-2019 15:43
(14373)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:It's all completely random.

No. When I was born, I body-slammed the nurse before I realized that slapping my behind was actually standard procedure. Oh well. I apologized, but she needed stitches. The doctor was cool; he backed my story.

06-12-2019 17:25
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:It's all completely random.

No. When I was born, I body-slammed the nurse before I realized that slapping my behind was actually standard procedure. Oh well. I apologized, but she needed stitches. The doctor was cool; he backed my story.

And you still act before you think. You can't accept standard procedures.
07-12-2019 13:04
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
Interesting,

Although the temperature of earth is unknown and unknowable x Venus is 0.723 AU from the sun so it should be 0.277% hotter then earth. however atmosphere acts a refrigerator and the pressure on the surface of Venus is equivalent to 93 earth atmospheres not only that but I have learned today that CO2 acts a refrigerant and Venus has a 95% CO2 atmosphere that's 2375 times more then earth!

So if we assume x is a random number say 288k then venus should be 368k or 98c phew thats hot without atmosphere but if we add the refrigeration effect 93*2375 or 220875 more then earth so its -220,507k on the surface of Venus, Brrrr!

No wonder the Ruskies spaceship broke.

I think using math to work something out is like Ohm's law, I'm calling this IBdaMann's law in honour of the smartest person on the internet.
08-12-2019 01:47
tmiddlesProfile picture★★★★★
(3979)
NICE ONE SPOT!
spot wrote: however [if as IBD claims, the] atmosphere acts a refrigerator ... we add the refrigeration effect 93*2375 or 220875 more then earth so its -220,507k on the surface of Venus, Brrrr!

You see IBD? This is why you get in trouble actually putting anything on the table. You're slipping up Mr. Troll.

Also as was pointed out in another thread only ~6% of the light of the sun reaches the ground of Venus.

"Good tests kill flawed theories; we remain alive to guess again." - Karl Popper
ITN/IBD Fraud exposed:  The 2nd LTD add on claiming radiance from cooler bodies can't be absorbed Max Planck debunks, they can't explain:net-thermal-radiation-you-in-a-room-as-a-reference & Proof: no data is ever valid for them
08-12-2019 12:15
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
tmiddles wrote:
NICE ONE SPOT!
spot wrote: however [if as IBD claims, the] atmosphere acts a refrigerator ... we add the refrigeration effect 93*2375 or 220875 more then earth so its -220,507k on the surface of Venus, Brrrr!

You see IBD? This is why you get in trouble actually putting anything on the table. You're slipping up Mr. Troll.

Also as was pointed out in another thread only ~6% of the light of the sun reaches the ground of Venus.

"Good tests kill flawed theories; we remain alive to guess again." - Karl Popper
ITN/IBD Fraud exposed:  The 2nd LTD add on claiming radiance from cooler bodies can't be absorbed Max Planck debunks, they can't explain:net-thermal-radiation-you-in-a-room-as-a-reference & Proof: no data is ever valid for them

Thonks for that it just goes to show if nothing is known then anything is possible Venus might as well be - 220,507k according to the physics taught here.

ITN and IBD have stopped taking apart my posts and "correcting" every sentence, I think I'm no fun for them anymore.

It's great

Climate change is real!

What a radical thing to say around here.

IBdaMann wrote:
"Air" is not a body in and of itself. Ergo it is not a blackbody.

Planck's law describes the spectral density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body in thermal equilibrium at a given temperature T.
08-12-2019 12:36
(3979)
spot wrote:
It's great
Climate change is real!
What a radical thing to say around here.
Excellent work comrade! MWuah HA HA HA HA! We are winning!
08-12-2019 21:08
(14373)
tmiddles wrote:You see IBD? This is why you get in trouble actually putting anything on the table. You're slipping up Mr. Troll.

Refresh my memory, how did I slip up?

tmiddles wrote:Also as was pointed out in another thread only ~6% of the light of the sun reaches the ground of Venus.

How is this relelvant to your claim that I "slipped up"?

08-12-2019 21:20
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

ibdm, this is where you are showing that you don't understand science. Of course I think you like (same as) itn are a couple of anarchists.
Kind of why it's a waste of time trying to discuss anything with you. But people will because people also have to look at accidents instead of watching the road in front of them.
Edited on 08-12-2019 22:15
09-12-2019 01:05
(14373)
James___ wrote:ibdm, this is where you are showing that you don't understand science.

Already you are starting off with a false assumption. You are the loon who has no clue. I hate to put it in those terms but if you are going into an argument admitting that the only way you can be "right" is to discount what I have to say then your argument should be noted as erroneous right up front.

James___ wrote: Of course I think you like (same as) itn are a couple of anarchists.

Absurd. You simply don't know my political posture very well. Into the Night and I are both very Libertarian but I'll let him choose his own words for defining his positions. Unlike the extreme Libertarians (ultra far right) and the Marxist Anarchists (ultra far left), I believe that government, and the rule of law, are absolutely required if you want to have a civilized society, but the amount of government needed is really dependent upon the population/population density. In a sparsely populated territory very little government is needed, but zero government equates to zero enforcement of laws which means no rule of law and no enforcement of individual rights.

James___ wrote:Kind of why it's a waste of time trying to discuss anything with you.

... but that problem is on your end. You require the complete denial of physics and the acceptance of your fantasy fiction that exists only in your head. If I even try to bring actual physics into the discussion, no matter how politely, you become a pouting child and of course you blame me for not going along with your WACKY theories.

Of course it's a waste of your time trying to communicate with humans who just don't understand the strange protocols of your funky little world. If I were you I wouldn't waste my time on the internet.

09-12-2019 03:39
(3979)
IBdaMann wrote:
tmiddles wrote:You see IBD? This is why you get in trouble actually putting anything on the table. You're slipping up Mr. Troll.

You made the claim an atmosphere cools the ground level of a planet. It's false, you can't back it up and it's added to the long list of statements that are evidence of what a fraud you are.

Atmospheres do moderate the extremes but that is not the definition of long term cooling. In every case we have the average ground temp is higher. The more atmosphere the higher it is.

Verner did a very interesting analysis of Mars.

ITN is full of it as usual and Mercury has no atmosphere.

09-12-2019 17:19
(21559)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

ibdm, this is where you are showing that you don't understand science. Of course I think you like (same as) itn are a couple of anarchists.
Kind of why it's a waste of time trying to discuss anything with you. But people will because people also have to look at accidents instead of watching the road in front of them.

You have not shown anything. Neither has spot. I think you're hallucinating again.

The Parrot Killer

09-12-2019 17:23
(21559)
tmiddles wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

You made the claim an atmosphere cools the ground level of a planet. It's false, you can't back it up and it's added to the long list of statements that are evidence of what a fraud you are.

Atmospheres do moderate the extremes but that is not the definition of long term cooling. In every case we have the average ground temp is higher. The more atmosphere the higher it is.

Irrational. Which is it, dude?
tmiddles wrote:
Verner did a very interesting analysis of Mars.

ITN is full of it as usual and Mercury has no atmosphere.

Mercury has an atmosphere. So does the Moon. So does Mars.

The Parrot Killer

09-12-2019 17:29
(14373)
tmiddles wrote: You made the claim an atmosphere cools the ground level of a planet.

My statement was not made to you. I was countering James__ statement about the atmosphere "warming" the earth. I was facetiously using his exact same logic.

If you are claiming that my reasoning for a "refrigeration effect" is faulty, then you can join me in explaining to James__ that his reasoning for a "greenhouse effect" is faulty.

Once again, you were not the intended recipient of my argument because, as we both know, you aren't smart enough to "get it." You're a Troll after all, by your own admission, and aren't here to contribute in any meaningful way but rather to disrupt the board.

09-12-2019 19:14
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
How are we to know which of your absurd assertions are jokes?
09-12-2019 19:58
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
tmiddles wrote: You made the claim an atmosphere cools the ground level of a planet.

My statement was not made to you. I was countering James__ statement about the atmosphere "warming" the earth. I was facetiously using his exact same logic.

If you are claiming that my reasoning for a "refrigeration effect" is faulty, then you can join me in explaining to James__ that his reasoning for a "greenhouse effect" is faulty.

Once again, you were not the intended recipient of my argument because, as we both know, you aren't smart enough to "get it." You're a Troll after all, by your own admission, and aren't here to contribute in any meaningful way but rather to disrupt the board.

You simply don't know enough about astrophysics to understand the point I was making. Instead you used faulty reasoning to prove a point. It is like your manifesto. If people disagree with you, they have to prove that you are wrong. Since you are an anarchist, I think everyone knows what one is.
I will pm both spot and tmiddles what you badly missed.
09-12-2019 22:14
(21559)
spot wrote:
How are we to know which of your absurd assertions are jokes?

You might try keeping track of the conversation.

The Parrot Killer

10-12-2019 01:09
(3979)
Into the Night wrote:
Citation for false statements please.
Mars does yes. Moon and Mercury no.
Moon: It's an infinitesimal amount of air when compared to Earth's atmosphere.
Mercury: the planet has no atmosphere to retain that heat,

IBdaMann wrote:
If you are claiming that my reasoning for a "refrigeration effect"
No one cares what your reasoning is. This is not a hypothetical situation. The solar system is real, hear, and we've taken measurements. You are wrong.

10-12-2019 01:40
(14373)
tmiddles wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Citation for false statements please. Mars does yes. Moon and Mercury no.

What a loser. Of course they all have atmospheres; some are close to negligible but are nonetheless nonzero. This is why I never presume that you ever graduated from anywhere.

tmiddles wrote:This is not a hypothetical situation. The solar system is real, hear, and we've taken measurements. You are wrong.

How pathetic. Your only reason for existence is to fulfill your fantasy of showing me to be wrong about something ... anything. This is why I was very clear to avoid claiming that you were smart enough to grasp rhetorical devices.

10-12-2019 01:44
(3979)
IBdaMann wrote:
What a loser.
What a looooong post full of nothing to say. That's what Trolls do. The ITN/IBD pretense that because there is a logical path to making a false statement (like that the moon has an atmosphere as a relevant fact to our discussion) is one of their main devices to try and block discussion.
10-12-2019 01:52
(14373)
James___ wrote: You simply don't know enough about astrophysics to understand the point I was making.

You simply do not have enough common sense to make a valid point. You gibber. I'm sorry to have to be the one to break it to you. You live with this fantasy of ozone depletion. You think lots of stupid things that are not backed up by any science, and when asked about that you feign indignance and double down on stupid. Again, I'm sorry that no one has ever pulled you aside and mentioned this to you.

James___ wrote: Instead you used faulty reasoning to prove a point.

You are speaking in unsupported generalities. This is akin to babbling. I'm sorry that this is the first you are learning of this. Whoever was responsible for your education really fugged with you.

James___ wrote: It is like your manifesto.

I don't have a manifesto.

James___ wrote: If people disagree with you, they have to prove that you are wrong.

Yes, every time the disagreement is about their claims. If I make an affirmative claim, i.e. not simply debunking someone else's affirmative claim, then I need to support it.

So let's talk about you and all the WACKY assertions you make that run counter to physics that you won't support.

Gibberish. You might want to have a chat with whoever was responsible for overseeing your education; he or she really dropped the ball.

James___ wrote: Since you are an anarchist, I think everyone knows what one is.

Since I took the time to illuminate my non-anarchist position, yet you are clearly intent on assigning to me a bogus position so that you have something to attack, ... enjoy. We'll see how that works out for you.

James___ wrote: I will pm both spot and tmiddles what you badly missed.

Too funny! Someone who can't read will be receiving an email from someone who can only gibber. I should probably get my popcorn and front row seat.

10-12-2019 02:05
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
ibdm, you're showing what's wrong with America today. At the same time you might not be an American. Ты мог быть Россия мужчина, Да? Я думал так.
It's known that Russia promotes hydrocarbons as being clean energy.
10-12-2019 02:22
(14373)
James___ wrote: ibdm, you're showing what's wrong with America today.

James___ wrote:At the same time you might not be an American. Ты мог быть Россия мужчина, Да? Я думал так.

Как ты мог в это поверить? Я не люблю борщ.

James___ wrote: It's known that Russia promotes hydrocarbons as being clean energy.

It certainly can be PRISTINELY clean.

10-12-2019 03:53
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote: ibdm, you're showing what's wrong with America today.

James___ wrote:At the same time you might not be an American. Ты мог быть Россия мужчина, Да? Я думал так.

Как ты мог в это поверить? Я не люблю борщ.

James___ wrote: It's known that Russia promotes hydrocarbons as being clean energy.

It certainly can be PRISTINELY clean.

Maybe you are Russian. That would make a lot of sense. I know Ukrainians like borscht and it would be no surprise if Russians liked cabbage stew as well.
That actually explains a lot of things about you. Мой плохой, правильный

Edited on 10-12-2019 03:56
10-12-2019 04:01
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
This is funny spot and tmiddles. ibdm might be Russian. If you knew what Putin has been saying lately then you'd understand the last few posts between myself and ibdm. Очень хорошо шутки, да!!!

Asked what he thought of Europe's moves to reduce use of gas, for which it is heavily dependent on Russia, Putin said that "in my view, disdaining such a clean hydrocarbon as gas is absolutely strange".

[url] https://www.euractiv.com/section/energy-environment/news/putin-attacks-strange-european-plans-to-reduce-gas-usage/[/url]

What's not being considered is how can we best manage our resources. No one is talking about that.
Edited on 10-12-2019 04:12
10-12-2019 04:19
(3979)
James___ wrote:... ibdm might be Russian....
IBD with do whatever Trump says. He's a "team player"
Putin is in until Trump tells him otherwise.
10-12-2019 05:06
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
tmiddles wrote:

Market forces

An example:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LyUpQ2kzXSg
10-12-2019 15:51
(21559)
tmiddles wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Citation for false statements please.

I don't quote Wikipedia like you do.
tmiddles wrote:
Mars does yes. Moon and Mercury no.

They all have an atmosphere.
tmiddles wrote:
Moon: It's an infinitesimal amount of air when compared to Earth's atmosphere.

So you agree the Moon has an atmosphere./
tmiddles wrote:
Mercury: the planet has no atmosphere to retain that heat,

Heat is not retained. It is not contained in anything. Mercury has an atmosphere.
tmiddles wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
If you are claiming that my reasoning for a "refrigeration effect"
No one cares what your reasoning is.

You don't get to speak for everyone. You don't get to speak for anyone but you.
tmiddles wrote:
This is not a hypothetical situation.

Actually, yes it was. It was already explained to you how it was. RDCF. RQAA.
tmiddles wrote:
The solar system is real, hear, and we've taken measurements. You are wrong.

What is the solar system hearing?

The Parrot Killer

10-12-2019 15:56
(21559)
tmiddles wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
What a loser.
What a looooong post full of nothing to say. That's what Trolls do. The ITN/IBD pretense that because there is a logical path to making a false statement (like that the moon has an atmosphere
The Moon has an atmosphere. You even admitted it. Then you denied it. Which is it, dude? You are being irrational.
tmiddles wrote:
as a relevant fact to our discussion)
Since we were talking about the atmosphere of the Moon, Mercury, Mars, Venus, and Earth at the time, you now call this irrelevant to the discussion???
tmiddles wrote:
is one of their main devices to try and block discussion.

You are denying we ever talked about the atmosphere of any planet???????

WTF?????????????

The Parrot Killer

10-12-2019 15:59
(21559)
tmiddles wrote:

Trump is a puppet of Putin and Putin is a puppet of Trump?????????

The Parrot Killer

Page 1 of 4123>>>

Join the debate Why can't you say Venus is hotter than Mercury because Venus got CO2?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Fossil Fuel Substitution for reduced emission of CO2, mercury, lead, arsenic, cadmium..39201-12-2023 21:58
Proof That Too Much CO2 Is An Existential Threat32607-11-2023 19:16
There is no scientific theory or evidence that suggest CO2 traps heat better than O2 or N253330-01-2023 07:22
CO2 Is Helping the Ozone Layer to Recover113-08-2022 05:54
Co2 ice samples1102-06-2022 22:44
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact