Remember me
▼ Content

When we measure temperature, we don't measure the ground temperature, we measure the air

When we measure temperature, we don't measure the ground temperature, we measure the air25-09-2016 21:52
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
temperature about 1 to 2 meters above the ground. That's where we put thermometer. Nobody lives on the ground. People feel the air about 1 to 2 meters above the ground. That's the temperature they care about. True, the air absorbs heat from the ground, making the ground cooler than it otherwise would be, but the air means temperature about 1 to 2 meters off the ground is warmer than otherwise. If you look at Mars, which has much less air than Earth, 1 meter off the ground is about 20 C less than the ground, 2 meters off the ground is about 40 C less than the ground. On Earth, which has much more air, 2 meters off the ground is essentially the same temperature as the ground, not even 0.1 C difference.
Edited on 25-09-2016 21:54
25-09-2016 22:14
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
temperature about 1 to 2 meters above the ground. That's where we put thermometer. Nobody lives on the ground. People feel the air about 1 to 2 meters above the ground. That's the temperature they care about. True, the air absorbs heat from the ground, making the ground cooler than it otherwise would be, but the air means temperature about 1 to 2 meters off the ground is warmer than otherwise. If you look at Mars, which has much less air than Earth, 1 meter off the ground is about 20 C less than the ground, 2 meters off the ground is about 40 C less than the ground. On Earth, which has much more air, 2 meters off the ground is essentially the same temperature as the ground, not even 0.1 C difference.

The air doesn't magickally remain warmer at some fixed altitude by itself.

Air is mass. It is less mass than the ground. It will cool off faster than the ground because of it.

In general, whether you are an airplane flying at 30,000 feet, or a bug flying at 2 feet. Air cools as you rise.

The only exception to this is if warm air (warmed from somewhere else) flows over colder air (and ground). We call that a warm front.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
25-09-2016 22:45
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
Into the Night wrote:Air is mass. It is less mass than the ground. It will cool off faster than the ground because of it.

Air cools slower than ground just like water cools slower than ground. Air molecules retain heat by conduction with each other.

If you compare ocean and land. Ocean does not freeze. Ocean has very little temperature variation year round. Water is warm year round. Land like Greenland freezes up in winter at about -30 C. Arctic ocean around Norway and Iceland do not and is about 10 C.
Edited on 25-09-2016 22:47
26-09-2016 01:02
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
Water has a very high specific heat. Air does not. "Conduction with itself" doesn't cause specific heat. That's nonsensical.
26-09-2016 20:20
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
jwoodward48 wrote:
Water has a very high specific heat. Air does not. "Conduction with itself" doesn't cause specific heat. That's nonsensical.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan

Join the debate When we measure temperature, we don't measure the ground temperature, we measure the air:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Ho Ho Ho, did everyone send in their Christmas list? A few ground rules though228-12-2023 19:16
Present temperature spike July '233127-09-2023 00:27
Surface temperature of earth according to Boltzmann law5610-05-2023 15:46
Greenhouse gases cool better and cause lower surface temperature of earth than non greenhouse gases310-05-2023 08:27
B-17 and Bell King Cobra collided at Dallas air show today. Story at 11013-11-2022 01:38
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact