Remember me
▼ Content

When is the "Warming" suppose to start?

When is the "Warming" suppose to start?09-12-2020 01:11
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5193)
Woke up this morning, and it was so damn cold, only 48 F... It took all day, just to get up to 55 F, at sunset. Weather on TV, warning that it might drop down into the 30s tonight, keep the pets indoors, cover plants. How could this possibly happen in Florida? The global temperature has been rising, 'at an alarming rate', since the 90s, why the record breaking, 'freezing' cold in Florida?
09-12-2020 02:09
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Same here in Australia.Last week there was a heat wave over East but in the West we were cold.Yesterday the sun shone all day and we it reached 38C.I was laying bricks in the direct sun and it was not too bad.Its when it hits 40 plus it is uncomfortable and all the tools are to hot to pick up.The variation is all over the place
09-12-2020 03:16
(5193)
I'm just joking a little, with the people up in the northern states, digging through a foot of snow, so they can get their car our of the driveway... I did put on a pair of long pants, when I walked over to city hall, to drop off my utility bills. Wasn't really bad, when the wind wasn't blowing. This is really about as cold as it gets here in the winter.
09-12-2020 03:21
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
HarveyH55 wrote:
I'm just joking a little, with the people up in the northern states, digging through a foot of snow, so they can get their car our of the driveway... I did put on a pair of long pants, when I walked over to city hall, to drop off my utility bills. Wasn't really bad, when the wind wasn't blowing. This is really about as cold as it gets here in the winter.

I was just gonna give you some crap for complaining about "cold" in FL hahaha at least there's no snow in WI yet...
09-12-2020 03:26
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
HarveyH55 wrote:

Well, I got 4 words for you.

KISS MY ASS HARVEY!

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
09-12-2020 03:39
(3314)
GasGuzzler wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Well, I got 4 words for you.

KISS MY ASS HARVEY!

I second this notion!
09-12-2020 04:36
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1639)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Woke up this morning, and it was so damn cold, only 48 F... It took all day, just to get up to 55 F, at sunset. Weather on TV, warning that it might drop down into the 30s tonight, keep the pets indoors, cover plants. How could this possibly happen in Florida? The global temperature has been rising, 'at an alarming rate', since the 90s, why the record breaking, 'freezing' cold in Florida?

Winter Haven FL is said to have hit 39 F just before sunrise this morning. Tomorrow's low is forecasted as 45 F.

There are no clouds in the forecast until Thursday, at which point the forecasted lows are back in the 50s.

Gee it's as if the clouds provide insulation against the cold.
09-12-2020 05:31
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Winter Haven FL is said to have hit 39 F just before sunrise this morning. Tomorrow's low is forecasted as 45 F.

There are no clouds in the forecast until Thursday, at which point the forecasted lows are back in the 50s.

Learn why clouds form.

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
09-12-2020 05:54
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14373)
Spongy Iris wrote:Gee it's as if the clouds provide insulation against the cold.

Only in dark recesses of a moron's safe space.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
09-12-2020 07:31
(1639)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Learn why clouds form.

Because it becomes colder and colder as evaporated water goes higher in altitude.
09-12-2020 12:33
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
It is warmer when there is cloud cover.I was in Townsville and the clouds are very low sometimes.When we would drive up the hill to do exercises we would pass through and be in clear skies then on the way back down we were once again in cloud cover and rain.It is a tropical climate that never gets too hot but humidity is something else.
09-12-2020 15:09
(14373)
duncan61 wrote:It is warmer when there is cloud cover.

Duncan, let me ask you for your expertise in atmospherics.

Is it warmer because there is cloud cover ... or is there cloud cover because it is warmer?

Do clouds have some magickal superpower to create thermal energy out of nothing which will increase the temperature ... or is it the case that certain changing (e.g. warming) conditions have the ability to also create clouds?

You seem to be asserting the former.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
09-12-2020 18:33
(1639)
IBdaMann wrote:
duncan61 wrote:It is warmer when there is cloud cover.

Duncan, let me ask you for your expertise in atmospherics.

Is it warmer because there is cloud cover ... or is there cloud cover because it is warmer?

Do clouds have some magickal superpower to create thermal energy out of nothing which will increase the temperature ... or is it the case that certain changing (e.g. warming) conditions have the ability to also create clouds?

You seem to be asserting the former.

The sun isn't going to get hotter over Winter Haven FL tomorrow compared to today.

The wind is forecasted to start coming in from the west (Gulf of Mexico). Today it's coming from the north. The wind from the Gulf of Mexico is forecast to push some patchy clouds over the land, which will act as an insulator during the cold night.

It is possible wind can blow onto land from the sea without bringing clouds.

If it's Dec 21, and wind from the Pacific is blowing onto Mt Diablo, and there are zero clouds, you're probably going to see frost by morning time, on grass and rooftops.

If it's Dec 21, and wind from the Pacific is blowing onto Mt Diablo, and there is a thick cloud cover, it won't get cold enough to make frost by morning time.
09-12-2020 18:43
(14373)
Spongy Iris wrote:The sun isn't going to get hotter over Winter Haven FL tomorrow compared to today.

I'm assuming a constant solar output, yes.

Spongy Iris wrote:The wind is forecasted to start coming in from the west (Gulf of Mexico). Today it's coming from the north. The wind from the Gulf of Mexico is forecast to push some patchy clouds over the land, which will act as an insulator during the cold night.

It sounds to me like the Gulf of Mexico will be creating clouds with its warm, moist air and blowing into Winter Haven.

Spongy Iris wrote:It is possible wind can blow onto land from the sea without bringing clouds.

It is possible to have both warmer and colder temperatures without clouds. It is possible to have both warmer and colder temperatures with clouds.

09-12-2020 19:28
CharlieScott
☆☆☆☆☆
(2)
gfm7175 wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

I was just gonna give you some crap for complaining about "cold" in FL hahaha at least there's no snow in WI yet...

Imagine us in the north. We had plenty of snow last weekend, and both weather apps on my phone (Weather channel and climacell) confirm there is more snow coming this weekend as well. And he says Florida is cold

Edited on 09-12-2020 19:29
09-12-2020 19:37
(5193)
The cold air always blows down from the north. We'd be warm, if it wasn't for the Norwegian jet stream screwing things up every winter. Fortunately, the Yankee cold fronts are weak, and only last a few days, to a week at a time. It's noon on the second cold day, and already reached yesterday's high of 55 F.
09-12-2020 20:38
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Learn why clouds form.

Could it be because when one molecule of water vapour emits electromagnetic radiation that another water vapour molecule is absorbing it? This would suggest that the specific charge that water vapour molecules in a field (cloud) has will vary.
This would basically be a variation of KE = 3/2kT. Is that right? That water vapour will have different velocities because KE = 1/2mv^2 and it is the average velocity in a cloud (field) that determines the kinetic energy of the field. You gotta help me out here Gasguzzler, please ? Am I close?
I mean would that be why atmospheric pressure drops when a storm is approaching? And when it's warm (high pressure) water vapour molecules aren't forming ionic bonds with each other? Or if they're those light, fluffy clouds then they might have a weak ionic bond because even in a high pressure system, there's still little air pressure at altitude.
If I show the math, could you be a pal and proof it for me incase I make any mistakes? I'd appreciate it.

Edited on 09-12-2020 20:44
09-12-2020 20:41
(3314)
CharlieScott wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Imagine us in the north. We had plenty of snow last weekend, and both weather apps on my phone (Weather channel and climacell) confirm there is more snow coming this weekend as well. And he says Florida is cold

09-12-2020 21:42
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Water is not insulation.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
09-12-2020 21:43
(21559)
duncan61 wrote:
It is warmer when there is cloud cover.I was in Townsville and the clouds are very low sometimes.When we would drive up the hill to do exercises we would pass through and be in clear skies then on the way back down we were once again in cloud cover and rain.It is a tropical climate that never gets too hot but humidity is something else.

Argument from randU fallacy. Base rate fallacy.

There is no way to determine whether it is 'warmer' with clouds than if there were no clouds, since there is no way to compare the same conditions with and without clouds in the same context.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
09-12-2020 21:45
(21559)
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Learn why clouds form.

Could it be because when one molecule of water vapour emits electromagnetic radiation that another water vapour molecule is absorbing it? This would suggest that the specific charge that water vapour molecules in a field (cloud) has will vary.
This would basically be a variation of KE = 3/2kT. Is that right? That water vapour will have different velocities because KE = 1/2mv^2 and it is the average velocity in a cloud (field) that determines the kinetic energy of the field. You gotta help me out here Gasguzzler, please ? Am I close?
I mean would that be why atmospheric pressure drops when a storm is approaching? And when it's warm (high pressure) water vapour molecules aren't forming ionic bonds with each other? Or if they're those light, fluffy clouds then they might have a weak ionic bond because even in a high pressure system, there's still little air pressure at altitude.
If I show the math, could you be a pal and proof it for me incase I make any mistakes? I'd appreciate it.

Word salad. Buzzword fallacies.

The Parrot Killer

09-12-2020 22:05
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Learn why clouds form.

Heh, that meteorologybuzzworsalad from the guy that says a super cell thunderstorm split over Memphis because of Urban "heat".

James I'd like a white Christmas. When will you be cranking up the old Norwegian Jetstream?

Edited on 09-12-2020 22:06
09-12-2020 22:08
(3314)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Learn why clouds form.

Heh, that meteorologybuzzworsalad from the guy that says a super cell thunderstorm split over Memphis because of Urban "heat".

James I'd like a white Christmas. When will you be cranking up the old Norwegian Jetstream?

10-12-2020 02:21
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Learn why clouds form.

Memphis isn't Atlanta. This is for Indianapolis in 2011 which weather radar tracked the storm and shows it split before Indianapolis and then rejoined after it had passed it. Your wild, baseless claims are old. Oops, you're a Republican. Sorry about that. It's all you know.

At least now everyone that isn't a part of your group will know that the heat island effect is real.

Attached image:

Edited on 10-12-2020 02:23
10-12-2020 02:39
(5193)
What the hell does a summer storm, 9 years ago, have to do with the cold weather we are having today, Dec. 2020?

Strange, just looked over at my thermometer, and it's 2 degrees warmer now, than at sunset, about an hour ago. Have to step outside and see if it clouded up... No clouds, I see plenty of stars. What caused the night warming? Not that 61 F, is really short wearing weather. Maybe we'll be back in the 70s tomorrow, this cold thing over for a week or two.
10-12-2020 02:41
(21559)
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Learn why clouds form.

Memphis isn't Atlanta. This is for Indianapolis in 2011 which weather radar tracked the storm and shows it split before Indianapolis and then rejoined after it had passed it. Your wild, baseless claims are old. Oops, you're a Republican. Sorry about that. It's all you know.

At least now everyone that isn't a part of your group will know that the heat island effect is real.

What heat island effect??? I've seen this kind of thing out in open desert, over an open forest, at sea, and in the plains away from any city.

The Parrot Killer

10-12-2020 04:35
(1639)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Learn why clouds form.

What heat island effect??? I've seen this kind of thing out in open desert, over an open forest, at sea, and in the plains away from any city.

The sun can also part clouds.

See it's Corona?

The clouds are parting along the path it is setting
10-12-2020 04:59
(14373)
Spongy Iris wrote:The sun can also part clouds.

Does it part them on the left or on the right?

Spongy Iris wrote:The clouds are parting along the path it is setting

The sun sets paths? Wow.

10-12-2020 05:16
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
What the hell does a summer storm, 9 years ago, have to do with the cold weather we are having today, Dec. 2020?

Strange, just looked over at my thermometer, and it's 2 degrees warmer now, than at sunset, about an hour ago. Have to step outside and see if it clouded up... No clouds, I see plenty of stars. What caused the night warming? Not that 61 F, is really short wearing weather. Maybe we'll be back in the 70s tomorrow, this cold thing over for a week or two.

You're too much of a simpleton Harvey. If you're not willing to learn, it's no use trying to explain anything to you.
10-12-2020 05:23
(5193)
The sun has corona virus?

Sunsets are one of my special interests... I've been doing time lapse video, daily (weather permitting), for years. Strange, that I never notice the parting of the red sky. Must be a biblical thing.

I started doing the videos, because you never really know if it's going to be a good, intensely colorful one, unless you watch every day. I've got better things to do, to be mostly disappointed everyday. I've gotten a couple of pretty good ones, with lightning in the clouds. Pretty sure the sun had nothing to do with it though, rain later that night...
10-12-2020 19:19
(21559)
Our clouds never got the message, apparently. Generally, during sunset, clouds are arrayed across the path of the Sun, not along it.

Guess we're weird here in the PNW.
10-12-2020 19:28
(1639)
HarveyH55 wrote:
The sun has corona virus?

Sunsets are one of my special interests... I've been doing time lapse video, daily (weather permitting), for years. Strange, that I never notice the parting of the red sky. Must be a biblical thing.

I started doing the videos, because you never really know if it's going to be a good, intensely colorful one, unless you watch every day. I've got better things to do, to be mostly disappointed everyday. I've gotten a couple of pretty good ones, with lightning in the clouds. Pretty sure the sun had nothing to do with it though, rain later that night...

Red Sky in the morning sailor take warning.

Red Sky at night sailor's delight.

10-12-2020 21:25
(21559)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

You're too much of a simpleton Harvey. If you're not willing to learn, it's no use trying to explain anything to you.

Ah. No counter-argument...just insults.

The Parrot Killer

10-12-2020 22:34
(5193)
Into the Night wrote:
Our clouds never got the message, apparently. Generally, during sunset, clouds are arrayed across the path of the Sun, not along it.

The sun doesn't have much to do with the clouds, the go with the wind. Which is another interesting observation, from time lapse videos. Clouds don't always move in one direction, depends on altitude. The sun, being low (close to the horizon), illuminate the underneath portion of clouds, not from the top. Just a different perspective.
11-12-2020 03:05
(21559)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

The sun doesn't have much to do with the clouds, the go with the wind. Which is another interesting observation, from time lapse videos. Clouds don't always move in one direction, depends on altitude. The sun, being low (close to the horizon), illuminate the underneath portion of clouds, not from the top. Just a different perspective.

Clouds aren't permanent either. They come and go. The Sun can certainly warm things up enough to dissipate clouds (think burning off the valley fog). It can also cause clouds to form (such as evaporation from oceans being sufficient to rise enough to cool and form clouds).

Mountains can form clouds, by forcing air upwards on the leading side. They can also destroy clouds by forcing air into turbulence and downwards on the leeward side (why there are rain shadows on leeward sides of mountain ranges).

ANYTHING that causes air to rise can form clouds, even warm swampy moisture filled air rising from a warmer swamp into cold night air (advection fog).

Temperature and humidity are interrelated. Air that is 30% humid at a warmer temperature can become 100% humid as temperature drops. At 100%, clouds form. This is also expressed in weather reports as the temperature--dew point spread. When the temperature drops to the dew point, clouds will form. It is also how dew forms.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 11-12-2020 03:09
11-12-2020 03:24
(14373)
Spongy Iris wrote:Red Sky in the morning sailor take warning.

Attached image:

11-12-2020 04:26
(1639)
IBdaMann wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:Red Sky in the morning sailor take warning.

IBdaaMnn sees dead people.

Join the debate When is the "Warming" suppose to start?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
People Must Start New Project To Share Solutions To End The COVID Event, Blaming Do Not Help221-11-2021 04:49
In a Switch, Some Republicans Start Citing Climate Change as Driving Their Policies2602-05-2019 20:26
Start a petition to encourage climate change information516-04-2019 19:04
What caused Pleistocene to start around 2 million years ago which had periodic glacial interglacial perio3205-02-2019 22:29
Let's stop debating climate change and start combating it - Michael Mann1124-11-2017 18:14
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact