Remember me
▼ Content

Whales?

Whales?02-03-2021 16:40
TommyJ
☆☆☆☆☆
(6)
Are whales an indicator of the state of the world's oceans? How are they tracked?
I've read several articles about how whale population observation helps scientists track the health of the ocean.
How important can a variety of research methods be in such research?
03-03-2021 02:30
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
TommyJ wrote:
Are whales an indicator of the state of the world's oceans?

No.
TommyJ wrote:
How are they tracked?

They aren't.
TommyJ wrote:
I've read several articles about how whale population observation helps scientists track the health of the ocean.

Science isn't data. Science isn't watching whales. Science is a set of falsifiable theories.
TommyJ wrote:
How important can a variety of research methods be in such research?

Science isn't a 'research' or a 'study'. Science is a set of falsifiable theories.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
03-03-2021 18:26
TommyJ
☆☆☆☆☆
(6)
Why are you so against science? You use the achievements of different branches of science every day. Or do you answer me with the power of thought sitting by the fire in a cave?
And I was also surprised when I first found out about this, but I quote https://www.skyrora.com/post/whales-from-space:
Satellite images have been identified as a useful and feasible tool for whale density observations in a study led by the British Antarctic Survey, published in Nature Scientific Reports on July 31,2020. The research provides a clear comparison between space-borne derived density estimates and traditional ship survey estimates.
Edited on 03-03-2021 18:27
03-03-2021 21:12
(21559)
TommyJ wrote:
Why are you so against science?

I'm not. I'm against you trying to redefine science.
TommyJ wrote:
You use the achievements of different branches of science every day.

Science isn't 'achievements'. However, I do use science every day.
TommyJ wrote:
Or do you answer me with the power of thought sitting by the fire in a cave?

No. I answer you with the power of thought sitting in a nicely air conditioned building.
TommyJ wrote:
And I was also surprised when I first found out about this, but I quote
"Satellite images have been identified as a useful and feasible tool for whale density observations in a study led by the British Antarctic Survey, published in Nature Scientific Reports on July 31,2020. The research provides a clear comparison between space-borne derived density estimates and traditional ship survey estimates."

So? Still not science.

Science is not counting. Science is not a Magick Satellite. Science is not a survey. Science is not a magazine, paper, report, book pamphlet, or web site. Science is not a government, agency, society, academy, or any other political group. Science is not observations. It does not use supporting evidence. It does not try to leap to conclusions.

Science is a set of falsifiable theories. No more. No less. That's it. That's all.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
09-03-2021 17:45
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14373)
TommyJ wrote:I've read several articles about how whale population observation helps scientists track the health of the ocean.

When did "researcher" become sufficient to equate to "scientist"?

TommyJ wrote:How important can a variety of research methods be in such research?

When did "research" become "science"?

I'm curious ... did we ever define "health of the ocean"? Did I miss that? Maybe I should ask GasGuzzler before coming across as oceanically illiterate.
Who gets to declare when the ocean is "ill"? Does the ocean have a pharmacologist? Who monitors the ocean's total average pH level? Does Wikipedia do that? Perhaps it's just me but I thought the ocean's health was quantum entangled with the Great Barrier Reef. Are you telling me it isn't, that it is quantum entangled with whales? Beluga whales perhaps? What about manatees? They aren't whales but they count too, right?

If you have any thoughts on the matter please let me know. Until then I'll reach out to GasGuzzler and try to get brought up to speed. His understanding of these things is freaky.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
18-03-2021 16:12
Jacob114
☆☆☆☆☆
(6)
I heard that satellites are used for monitoring the environment, but I couldn't even think that tracking the animals' population by using satellites is possible. I also heard that whales are important for marine health, and I don't understand why people in this thread are so strongly opposed to its topic. Researchers aren't scientists; science is a set of falsifiable theories...What does it matter? The more research methods scientists use to track whales' populations, the better cause it helps them obtain more information and be sure the information is relevant.
23-03-2021 04:35
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14373)
Jacob114 wrote: I also heard that whales are important for marine health, and I don't understand why people in this thread are so strongly opposed to its topic.

I just reviewed this thread again and I don't see anyone opposed to the topic.

What are you talking about.

Jacob114 wrote:Researchers aren't scientists; science is a set of falsifiable theories...What does it matter?

Are you asking why it is important to write what you mean and to mean what you write? Are you asking why honesty is important to have a meaningful discussion? Are you asking why someone shouldn't refer to data as science?

You don't seem to understand how online forums work.

Jacob114 wrote: The more research methods scientists use to track whales' populations, the better cause it helps them obtain more information and be sure the information is relevant.

Nope. Simply gathering larger quantities of irrelevant data does not somehow ensure that voluminous irrelevant data is relevant.

You would do well to learn a little bit about statistics.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
25-03-2021 05:53
(21559)
Jacob114 wrote:
I heard that satellites are used for monitoring the environment, but I couldn't even think that tracking the animals' population by using satellites is possible. I also heard that whales are important for marine health, and I don't understand why people in this thread are so strongly opposed to its topic. Researchers aren't scientists; science is a set of falsifiable theories...What does it matter? The more research methods scientists use to track whales' populations, the better cause it helps them obtain more information and be sure the information is relevant.

Define 'relevant'.

The Parrot Killer

27-07-2021 04:33
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Jacob114 wrote:

Some of these guys can't define "life". With the size of some whales, easy to observe from space. If they can track and follow pods, might help to understand their population. Then again, with some of these guys, did they have a mother or a father? Can you define a lineage? Best not to get complicated with these guys. They still wonder who it is in the mirror looking back at them.

Join the debate Whales?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Whales201-04-2018 00:09
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact