Remember me
▼ Content

West coast of England rainfall

West coast of England rainfall16-04-2016 22:50
DaveRecklaw
☆☆☆☆☆
(2)
Over the last two years, the rainfall on the west coast of the uk has risen dramatically, or so we are told. What has actually happened, is that we are lacking winter snowfalls.
So..., is this due to "global warming" or a slowing down in the Atlantic weather drift?
Ie: is global warming causing this or is it just a global weather shift due to the earths normal procedures.
03-05-2016 14:03
Glitch
☆☆☆☆☆
(22)
Weather is what you experience when you go outside. Climate is the accumulation of weather over an extended period. I don't think you can call two years of data "climate" just yet. Two of anything is hardly a trend.
12-05-2016 23:50
JamesTankard
☆☆☆☆☆
(5)
DaveRecklaw wrote:
Over the last two years, the rainfall on the west coast of the uk has risen dramatically, or so we are told. What has actually happened, is that we are lacking winter snowfalls.
So..., is this due to "global warming" or a slowing down in the Atlantic weather drift?
Ie: is global warming causing this or is it just a global weather shift due to the earths normal procedures.

If you're interested in the current and projected changes to climate in the UK, I would recommend you browse through the UK's Climate Change Risk Assessment for 2017. From one of the assessments research projects:

"Accounting for the requirements of freshwater ecosystems using existing regulatory approaches, current abstraction demand already exceeds the available water resource in some catchments in the UK today. This is particularly the case in the south and east of England, but also in a small number of catchments in the
north west of England, Northern Ireland and Scotland"

Available here: https://documents.theccc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/CCRA-2-Updated-projections-of-water-availability-for-the-UK.pdf
21-05-2016 12:46
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
^I rember a radio interview with Kent water who were talking about the fact that they had built a pipeline from Wales to supply them with water. It was a 6inch pipe and they had approached Londo water with the idea of putting a 9inch pipe in the same trench to supply twice the water for a small increase in cost. London water said no. They said no very often and Kent water could not work out why.

This was in the 1990's and the water table in the Downs (chalk hills in Southern England) had dropped very low due to deep boar holes being used. There was talk of it taking thousands of years for the water table to recover as the rate of extraction was only slightly less than the average rainfall.

Then we had 2 wet years. And flooding.

Yes, we might need to invest a little in some more water supply infrastructure. It will cost less than 1% of the money we spend on traffic lights.

Edited on 21-05-2016 12:46
21-05-2016 22:16
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21588)
Glitch wrote:
Weather is what you experience when you go outside. Climate is the accumulation of weather over an extended period. I don't think you can call two years of data "climate" just yet. Two of anything is hardly a trend.

Sure you can. You can call the last 24 hours climate if you want to. The phrase 'a long time' has no units of time, you see.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
24-05-2016 01:07
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
Glitch wrote:Weather is what you experience when you go outside.

Weather is a walk in the park? Weather is a friendly pick-up soccer game? What specific outdoor experience is "weather"?

Glitch wrote:Climate is the accumulation of weather over an extended period.

Obviously you're referring to the industry standard for "extended period" as being anything over 75 milliseconds. That's fine.

The problem I have with your attempt at a definition is that weather does not "accumulate."

Glitch wrote: I don't think you can call two years of data "climate" just yet.

Is "climate" just data? So there is no such thing as the "climate system"?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist

Join the debate West coast of England rainfall:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Red Sun Images in England811-08-2023 22:20
LOL the new king of England never learned how pens work. Most inbred people have this very same problem014-09-2022 21:13
How stupid is the new king of england as he is letting a Mercedes drive his mother to the dump012-09-2022 17:19
Droughts Continue in the West3601-06-2021 19:33
Rising sea levels attacking Florida coast, happening now!2519-10-2020 10:58
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact