▼ Content

Welcome to a much greener Earth!

Welcome to a much greener Earth!30-04-2016 14:38
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
Rise in CO2 has 'greened Planet Earth' - BBC News

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36130346

Carbon dioxide emissions from industrial society have driven a huge growth in trees and other plants.

A new study says that if the extra green leaves prompted by rising CO2 levels were laid in a carpet, it would cover twice the continental USA.

Climate sceptics argue the findings show that the extra CO2 is actually benefiting the planet.

But the researchers say the fertilisation effect diminishes over time.

They warn the positives of CO2 are likely to be outweighed by the negatives.
So they say that the positive effects get less better over time. OK. We'll just take the good and not expect it to get that much better than now but not go back to the bad old days.

Those negative effects though.. those would be the ones which show no signs of actually happening....
02-05-2016 06:53
Glitch
☆☆☆☆☆
(22)
The negative effects do not start until CO2 levels reach ~1,800 ppm and higher. For maximum plant growth the ideal CO2 range is between 1,200 ppm and 1,500 ppm. At ~400 ppm plants are pretty much on a starvation diet. We had better hope that CO2 levels never drop below 150 ppm, or photosynthesis stops and all life (other than bacteria) on the planet dies.
03-05-2016 20:30
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14394)
Glitch wrote:The negative effects do not start until CO2 levels reach ~1,800 ppm and higher.

What is the complete list of the "negative effects"?

What science was used in making this determination?

Glitch wrote: For maximum plant growth the ideal CO2 range is between 1,200 ppm and 1,500 ppm.

I thought it was 800-1350 ppm. How can we confirm which is the correct range?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
12-05-2016 23:37
JamesTankard
☆☆☆☆☆
(5)
Glitch wrote:
The negative effects do not start until CO2 levels reach ~1,800 ppm and higher. For maximum plant growth the ideal CO2 range is between 1,200 ppm and 1,500 ppm. At ~400 ppm plants are pretty much on a starvation diet. We had better hope that CO2 levels never drop below 150 ppm, or photosynthesis stops and all life (other than bacteria) on the planet dies.

This might be true for the direct effects of CO2 concentrations on plants in general, but according to the US 3rd National Climate Assessment Report the effect of "CO2 fertilization" as well as warmer temperatures are expected to increase competition between crops and pest weeds, or invasive plants. In certain circumstances, high CO2 levels will reduce the production of crops, or alternatively, increase the use of pesticides which will cause long-term issues in the areas of soil health, water quality, and pesticide resistant insects.
14-05-2016 12:18
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
JamesTankard wrote:
Glitch wrote:

This might be true for the direct effects of CO2 concentrations on plants in general, but according to the US 3rd National Climate Assessment Report the effect of "CO2 fertilization" as well as warmer temperatures are expected to increase competition between crops and pest weeds, or invasive plants. In certain circumstances, high CO2 levels will reduce the production of crops, or alternatively, increase the use of pesticides which will cause long-term issues in the areas of soil health, water quality, and pesticide resistant insects.

The lenghts some will go to to find the cloud in the silver lining.
17-05-2016 20:30
One Punch ManProfile picture★☆☆☆☆
(141)
CO2 is good for the planet. Who would have guessed.

Nathan-D
Edited on 17-05-2016 20:31

Join the debate Welcome to a much greener Earth!:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Global Climate Strike: Meet the teenagers skipping school to fight for a greener planet913-04-2019 20:34
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact