Remember me
▼ Content

Weather Manipulation


Weather Manipulation16-02-2019 19:49
HarveyH55
★★★★★
(2073)
One of the science things when I was young, was controlling the weather, mostly rainmaking. There were a lot of claims, research, hoaxes, but there was something going on with controlling the weather. It's really been a strong ambition since the beginning of recorded history. I was kind of thinking about it lately, and cloud seeding was really the last I can remember, getting much attention, and they don't seem to be doing much with that. I guess it crossed my mind, thinking about how climate change and weather are tied together. Global warming failed, because not many people were getting excited over a couple of degrees warming, over a lifetime. Climate change isn't weather, but it seems the big scare isn't the couple of degrees warming, but all the extreme weather prophesied. Wondered why people stopped trying to control weather decades ago, kind of sudden. It's still a worthy goal to reach for, even more so, since weather is going to kill us all, real soon, if we don't stop using petroleum fuels. Making it rain, was a high priority, since drought was a crop and livestock killer, but not so much now, with better water management, transportation. Still, we do go through drought conditions (sometimes wonder if the crisis is fabricated). Rain on demand, would help out on the wildfires, and feel nice, on those scorching, global warming days, as predicted, by the IPCC. The IPCC claims to fully understand climate and CO2 (the devil), so why no short term, localized climate changing. They are really good at manipulating numbers, why not manipulate the weather occasionally, to mitigate some of those deadly natural events they keep warning us about? They claim to have the facts and knowledge. They claim to care about lives, and the planet, but unwilling to do anything, except harm us economically, and fighting something, that would really be a good thing for the planet. They want to control CO2, which is pretty vital to survival of all life on this planet.

Floods cause a lot of damage, most is preventable, just costly to update and maintain storm water management. Some politicians think that money is better spent saving lives through social programs (free stuff for votes). Seems like all those politicians that campaign on handouts, should be jailed for buying votes, no difference, than if the just handed out cash, except the voters wouldn't get paid, if they don't get elected. Seems like if they could steer those heavy storms toward areas needing the rain, they could save on death and damages, and get some benefit for the folks needing some rain.

Hurricanes form over open sea, why can't they keep them out over water, away from land? Most of them stay out to sea anyway, less than half of them each year, cause any problems at all. Why even let them develop at all?

i don't believe we actually know quite as much as we'd like to believe, talk is truly cheap. We have no control over weather, or the forces that drive it. We know even less about climate, and can't change it either. But why did people stop trying to control weather? We still have the same needs and goals, we've always had, so what changed, what killed the ambition? We still have lots of folks looking for over unity free energy, perpetual motion, antigravity, and so many other dreams, never to be. Most have been around, just as long as controlling weather. Perhaps something was discovered, that could be used as a weapon, much worse than nuclear bombs, and it keeps getting buried (about 6 feet).
16-02-2019 21:24
Wake
★★★★★
(4031)
HarveyH55 wrote:
One of the science things when I was young, was controlling the weather, mostly rainmaking. There were a lot of claims, research, hoaxes, but there was something going on with controlling the weather. It's really been a strong ambition since the beginning of recorded history. I was kind of thinking about it lately, and cloud seeding was really the last I can remember, getting much attention, and they don't seem to be doing much with that. I guess it crossed my mind, thinking about how climate change and weather are tied together. Global warming failed, because not many people were getting excited over a couple of degrees warming, over a lifetime. Climate change isn't weather, but it seems the big scare isn't the couple of degrees warming, but all the extreme weather prophesied. Wondered why people stopped trying to control weather decades ago, kind of sudden. It's still a worthy goal to reach for, even more so, since weather is going to kill us all, real soon, if we don't stop using petroleum fuels. Making it rain, was a high priority, since drought was a crop and livestock killer, but not so much now, with better water management, transportation. Still, we do go through drought conditions (sometimes wonder if the crisis is fabricated). Rain on demand, would help out on the wildfires, and feel nice, on those scorching, global warming days, as predicted, by the IPCC. The IPCC claims to fully understand climate and CO2 (the devil), so why no short term, localized climate changing. They are really good at manipulating numbers, why not manipulate the weather occasionally, to mitigate some of those deadly natural events they keep warning us about? They claim to have the facts and knowledge. They claim to care about lives, and the planet, but unwilling to do anything, except harm us economically, and fighting something, that would really be a good thing for the planet. They want to control CO2, which is pretty vital to survival of all life on this planet.

Floods cause a lot of damage, most is preventable, just costly to update and maintain storm water management. Some politicians think that money is better spent saving lives through social programs (free stuff for votes). Seems like all those politicians that campaign on handouts, should be jailed for buying votes, no difference, than if the just handed out cash, except the voters wouldn't get paid, if they don't get elected. Seems like if they could steer those heavy storms toward areas needing the rain, they could save on death and damages, and get some benefit for the folks needing some rain.

Hurricanes form over open sea, why can't they keep them out over water, away from land? Most of them stay out to sea anyway, less than half of them each year, cause any problems at all. Why even let them develop at all?

i don't believe we actually know quite as much as we'd like to believe, talk is truly cheap. We have no control over weather, or the forces that drive it. We know even less about climate, and can't change it either. But why did people stop trying to control weather? We still have the same needs and goals, we've always had, so what changed, what killed the ambition? We still have lots of folks looking for over unity free energy, perpetual motion, antigravity, and so many other dreams, never to be. Most have been around, just as long as controlling weather. Perhaps something was discovered, that could be used as a weapon, much worse than nuclear bombs, and it keeps getting buried (about 6 feet).


Harvey, during Vietnam we would seed the clouds to make the Ho Chi Minh trail as impassable as possible due to rain. I only was there in the late summer and fall so I didn't see much of it and what I saw was not a trail but a dirt road that was used by trucks. So I don't think that it could have been very successful except at the deep south Vietnam which was jungle.

Cloud seeding doesn't change the amount of rain - it merely causes it to fall earlier than it normally would. Furthermore the materials that are used to seed clouds are themselves pollution.

Trying to find means of energy that break the fundamental rules of physics is not ambition - it is stupid and nonproductive.
17-02-2019 01:58
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(12800)
Wake wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
One of the science things when I was young, was controlling the weather, mostly rainmaking. There were a lot of claims, research, hoaxes, but there was something going on with controlling the weather. It's really been a strong ambition since the beginning of recorded history. I was kind of thinking about it lately, and cloud seeding was really the last I can remember, getting much attention, and they don't seem to be doing much with that. I guess it crossed my mind, thinking about how climate change and weather are tied together. Global warming failed, because not many people were getting excited over a couple of degrees warming, over a lifetime. Climate change isn't weather, but it seems the big scare isn't the couple of degrees warming, but all the extreme weather prophesied. Wondered why people stopped trying to control weather decades ago, kind of sudden. It's still a worthy goal to reach for, even more so, since weather is going to kill us all, real soon, if we don't stop using petroleum fuels. Making it rain, was a high priority, since drought was a crop and livestock killer, but not so much now, with better water management, transportation. Still, we do go through drought conditions (sometimes wonder if the crisis is fabricated). Rain on demand, would help out on the wildfires, and feel nice, on those scorching, global warming days, as predicted, by the IPCC. The IPCC claims to fully understand climate and CO2 (the devil), so why no short term, localized climate changing. They are really good at manipulating numbers, why not manipulate the weather occasionally, to mitigate some of those deadly natural events they keep warning us about? They claim to have the facts and knowledge. They claim to care about lives, and the planet, but unwilling to do anything, except harm us economically, and fighting something, that would really be a good thing for the planet. They want to control CO2, which is pretty vital to survival of all life on this planet.

Floods cause a lot of damage, most is preventable, just costly to update and maintain storm water management. Some politicians think that money is better spent saving lives through social programs (free stuff for votes). Seems like all those politicians that campaign on handouts, should be jailed for buying votes, no difference, than if the just handed out cash, except the voters wouldn't get paid, if they don't get elected. Seems like if they could steer those heavy storms toward areas needing the rain, they could save on death and damages, and get some benefit for the folks needing some rain.

Hurricanes form over open sea, why can't they keep them out over water, away from land? Most of them stay out to sea anyway, less than half of them each year, cause any problems at all. Why even let them develop at all?

i don't believe we actually know quite as much as we'd like to believe, talk is truly cheap. We have no control over weather, or the forces that drive it. We know even less about climate, and can't change it either. But why did people stop trying to control weather? We still have the same needs and goals, we've always had, so what changed, what killed the ambition? We still have lots of folks looking for over unity free energy, perpetual motion, antigravity, and so many other dreams, never to be. Most have been around, just as long as controlling weather. Perhaps something was discovered, that could be used as a weapon, much worse than nuclear bombs, and it keeps getting buried (about 6 feet).


Harvey, during Vietnam we would seed the clouds to make the Ho Chi Minh trail as impassable as possible due to rain.

Oh, so now you claim to be a Vietnam vet that actually went to Vietnam. I don't believe you. You make up too much about yourself.
Wake wrote:
I only was there in the late summer and fall so I didn't see much of it and what I saw was not a trail but a dirt road that was used by trucks. So I don't think that it could have been very successful except at the deep south Vietnam which was jungle.

Cloud seeding doesn't change the amount of rain - it merely causes it to fall earlier than it normally would.

WRONG. It is unknown if cloud seeding ever worked at all. There is no way to determine if the rain was going to fall then or not anyway.
Wake wrote:
Furthermore the materials that are used to seed clouds are themselves pollution.

Common chemicals used in cloud seeding are the following:

silver iodide: a common salt of silver. Benign.
potassium iodide: a common salt of potassium. Benign.
carbon dioxide: a naturally occurring gas. Benign.
propane: a naturally occurring gas. Also a fuel. Benign.
calcium carbide: essentially roasted lime. Sometimes sold as 'Bangsite'. Used to make acetylene. Forms a common calcium salt on exposure to water. Benign.
ammonium nitrate: a common fertilizer. Benign.
sodium chloride: common table salt. Benign.
urea compounds: common fertilizers. Benign.

ALL of these chemicals are in far greater concentrations already right here on the surface than the small amount that is sprayed into a cloud.
Wake wrote:
Trying to find means of energy that break the fundamental rules of physics is not ambition -

You deny science, Wake.


The Parrot Killer
17-02-2019 06:03
HarveyH55
★★★★★
(2073)
Weather doesn't break the laws of physics, it works with in the same rules that limit us. We just don't understand the forces or how the work, well enough to do anything on such a grand scale, yet. Flying was once consider impossible, people just aren't built like the bugs and birds. We figured out a way to get off the ground, didn't we? If you see something in nature, it's a possibility, we just have inhabited this planet very long, compared to nature. The main problem, is we can't actually observe all the forces in play, on such a large scale. We have theories and consensus, which aren't the same thing, and aren't likely to be 100% accurate, not everything scales up well.

Cloud seeding was just an example, looked promising for a while, but fizzled. Happens all the time, but that seem sort of the end of people trying, sort of sudden. Weather does have a strong effect on our lives, for some, it can be devastating. Just seemed odd, that such a worthwhile dream of controlling a force of nature, would end so completely, and be replaced with climate change nonsense.
17-02-2019 19:24
Wake
★★★★★
(4031)
The military didn't have any problems with cloud seeding. It doesn't make rain where there aren't clouds but it can and it did allow the military to make Cambodia around the Hi Chi Minh Trail a muddy mess instead of that raining starting in Laos and Thailand. We were up on the border and that was too far north for the summer storms. So it all looked perfectly dry and in the open.
17-02-2019 23:05
samsquatch
☆☆☆☆☆
(1)
Back in 1995ish while watching cable tv, I saw a program about future technology. It showed a satellite that would open up a large aluminum foil looking reflector. It actually stated how it would be possible to grow crops in climates that was previously too cold. I have tried to look it up online, but with no exact facts date, name of program, what the satellite was called, unable to find anything. I truly have no dog in this fight, but I know someone out there has the intellect and drive to find out.
18-02-2019 04:25
HarveyH55
★★★★★
(2073)
samsquatch wrote:
Back in 1995ish while watching cable tv, I saw a program about future technology. It showed a satellite that would open up a large aluminum foil looking reflector. It actually stated how it would be possible to grow crops in climates that was previously too cold. I have tried to look it up online, but with no exact facts date, name of program, what the satellite was called, unable to find anything. I truly have no dog in this fight, but I know someone out there has the intellect and drive to find out.


Reminds me of a James Bond movie, might be similar, or based on. Think the satellite was meant for weather or crops, but also made for a neat weapon. Don't remember the title, or even who was play James Bond.
18-02-2019 08:13
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(12800)
Wake wrote:
The military didn't have any problems with cloud seeding.
You just said they did. Which is it, Wake??
Wake wrote:
It doesn't make rain where there aren't clouds but it can and it did allow the military to make Cambodia around the Hi Chi Minh Trail a muddy mess instead of that raining starting in Laos and Thailand.

It is not possible to determine whether cloud seeding is effective at all. It is not possible to measure the point where a cloud begins to produce rain, since clouds are always changing.
Wake wrote:
We were up on the border and that was too far north for the summer storms.
So it all looked perfectly dry and in the open.

I don't believe you.


The Parrot Killer
18-02-2019 08:24
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(12800)
HarveyH55 wrote:
samsquatch wrote:
Back in 1995ish while watching cable tv, I saw a program about future technology. It showed a satellite that would open up a large aluminum foil looking reflector. It actually stated how it would be possible to grow crops in climates that was previously too cold. I have tried to look it up online, but with no exact facts date, name of program, what the satellite was called, unable to find anything. I truly have no dog in this fight, but I know someone out there has the intellect and drive to find out.


Reminds me of a James Bond movie, might be similar, or based on. Think the satellite was meant for weather or crops, but also made for a neat weapon. Don't remember the title, or even who was play James Bond.


Such a satellite was featured in the James Bond movie 'Die Another Day'. The satellite in the movie was called 'Icarus', after the son of the great craftsman Daedalus, who created wax wings for his son to fly with, and cautioned him not to fly to close too Apollo, the Sun. (Sons never listen to their parents, do they?
)

Such concepts have been bandied about for quite awhile. In the mid-90's, such a satellite was discussed to grow crops just as you described. No one ever built one. Turned out tracking was more difficult than it appears, and the environmental impact statement would be enormous! Russia, who would benefit the most from such a satellite, never had the money to develop anything like it.


The Parrot Killer
Edited on 18-02-2019 08:25




Join the debate Weather Manipulation:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Meteorologists are getting better at forecasting "extreme weather events"1306-12-2019 17:33
Weather2325-05-2019 21:07
The 100 Year Weather Forecast916-04-2019 15:02
Was sudden rapid temperature increase in 1980s caused by USSR collapsed and shut off their weather statio213-04-2019 23:34
Why the Guardian is putting global CO2 levels in the weather forecast209-04-2019 01:35
Articles
Appendix B - Calculating The Economic Costs of Extreme Weather Events
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know


Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact