Page 1 of 3123>
TRANSISTORS THAT GROW ON TREES29-04-2023 18:24
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
link

TRANSISTORS THAT GROW ON TREES
13 Comments by: Bryan Cockfield
April 28, 2023

Modern technology is riddled with innovations that were initially inspired by the natural world. Velcro, bullet trains, airplanes, solar panels, and many other technologies took inspiration from nature to become what they are today. While some of these examples might seem like obvious places to look, scientists are peering into more unconventional locations for this transistor design which is both inspired by and made out of wood.

The first obvious hurdle to overcome with any electronics made out of wood is that wood isn't particularly conductive, but then again a block of silicon needs some work before it reliably conducts electricity too. First, the lignin is removed from the wood by dissolving it in acetate, leaving behind mostly the cellulose structure. Then a conductive polymer is added to create a lattice structure of sorts using the wood cellulose as the structure. Within this structure, transistors can be constructed that function mostly the same as a conventional transistor might.

It might seem counterintuitive to use wood to build electronics like transistors, but this method might offer a number of advantages including sustainability, lower cost, recyclability, and physical flexibility. Wood can be worked in a number of ways once the lignin is removed, most notably when making paper, but removing the lignin can also make the wood relatively transparent as well which has a number of other potential uses.

Comments to the story linked, are little amusing... Not a very practical idea, but guessing Biden will throw in some tax dollars, because it's 'green'. The problem I see, is the wood will never be consistent. You could only make the device, then test each part, to find the operating parameters. Only way to find max values, would be destructive. You wouldn't run any semiconductor, even close to max anyway. I try to keep it under 80%, but I'm a little sloppy in design. Really not seeing much benefit to making transistors this way, other than it could be done.
30-04-2023 02:35
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

April 28, 2023

Modern technology is riddled with innovations that were initially inspired by the natural world. Velcro, bullet trains, airplanes, solar panels, and many other technologies took inspiration from nature to become what they are today. While some of these examples might seem like obvious places to look, scientists are peering into more unconventional locations for this transistor design which is both inspired by and made out of wood.

The first obvious hurdle to overcome with any electronics made out of wood is that wood isn't particularly conductive, but then again a block of silicon needs some work before it reliably conducts electricity too. First, the lignin is removed from the wood by dissolving it in acetate, leaving behind mostly the cellulose structure. Then a conductive polymer is added to create a lattice structure of sorts using the wood cellulose as the structure. Within this structure, transistors can be constructed that function mostly the same as a conventional transistor might.

It might seem counterintuitive to use wood to build electronics like transistors, but this method might offer a number of advantages including sustainability, lower cost, recyclability, and physical flexibility. Wood can be worked in a number of ways once the lignin is removed, most notably when making paper, but removing the lignin can also make the wood relatively transparent as well which has a number of other potential uses.

Comments to the story linked, are little amusing... Not a very practical idea, but guessing Biden will throw in some tax dollars, because it's 'green'. The problem I see, is the wood will never be consistent. You could only make the device, then test each part, to find the operating parameters. Only way to find max values, would be destructive. You wouldn't run any semiconductor, even close to max anyway. I try to keep it under 80%, but I'm a little sloppy in design. Really not seeing much benefit to making transistors this way, other than it could be done.

The article is a joke kid, wood is an insulator so it conducts nothing. LOL

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

I LOVE TRUMP BECAUSE HE PISSES OFF ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I CAN'T STAND.

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

So why is helping to hide the murder of an American president patriotic?

It's time to dig up Joseph Mccarthey and show him TikTok, then duck.

Now be honest, was I correct or was I correct? LOL
Edited on 30-04-2023 02:46
30-04-2023 19:31
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21597)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

April 28, 2023

WRONG.
Silicon is an insulator, so it conducts nothing.
Wood is a conductor (more of a resistor), depending on how much water is in it. That's why lightning blows a tree apart. It conducted the charge through the tree and boiled the water, making the tree explode.

It IS possible to make a field effect type transistor out of a potato. You have to place the leads very carefully in the cube of potato and keep it in a shallow dish (like a petri dish) to keep it moist. It turns green, but it does behave like a lousy version of a FET. Technicians were able to get a gain of 1.3 out of it.

I never said it was a great transistor.

There is really no reason wood wouldn't behave in a similar way. You wouldn't even WANT to take the lignin out. It's gain would probably be even less than a potato though.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 30-04-2023 19:33
30-04-2023 22:22
(5197)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

April 28, 2023

You don't read much... They used a solvent to remove everything, except the cellulose matrix, which is used as a structure. The wood is used a a structure, not a conductor, or even a semiconductor.

Plants and trees do conduct electricity, not well, but good enough with a high potential. Lightning strike, or even touching an electric fence. Yeah, you don't need to actually pee on the wire to get zapped... Ever notice how the power company trims tree limbs away from over-head transmission lines?
30-04-2023 22:55
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

April 28, 2023

WRONG.
Wood is a conductor (more of a resistor), depending on how much water is in it. That's why lightning blows a tree apart. It conducted the charge through the tree and boiled the water, making the tree explode.

It IS possible to make a field effect type transistor out of a potato. You have to place the leads very carefully in the cube of potato and keep it in a shallow dish (like a petri dish) to keep it moist. It turns green, but it does behave like a lousy version of a FET. Technicians were able to get a gain of 1.3 out of it.

There is really no reason wood wouldn't behave in a similar way. You wouldn't even WANT to take the lignin out. It's gain would probably be even less than a potato though.

Actually Silicon is a semiconductor that has both insulating and conduction properties. LOL so how many quintillion FLOPS are possible with your Mr. Potatohead or woody transistor?

Yawning

IBdaMann claims that Gold is a molecule, and that the last ice age never happened because I was not there to see it. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this is that IBdaMann is clearly not using enough LSD.

According to CDC/Government info, people who were vaccinated are now DYING at a higher rate than non-vaccinated people, which exposes the covid vaccines as the poison that they are, this is now fully confirmed by the terrorist CDC

This place is quieter than the FBI commenting on the chink bank account information on Hunter Xiden's laptop

ULTRA MAGA

"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat." MOTHER THERESA OF CALCUTTA

Edited on 30-04-2023 23:01
01-05-2023 02:51
(5197)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

April 28, 2023

WRONG.

Actually Silicon is a semiconductor that has both insulating and conduction properties. LOL so how many quintillion FLOPS are possible with your Mr. Potatohead or woody transistor?

Yawning

Wrong again... Silicon by itself is an insulator, think glass. But, you can add metals and salts to it, called 'doping', which allows current to flow. Depending on how much, and what is added, current will flow only one direction. You can add layers of differently 'doped' silicon, and control which path current will take, called a gate.
01-05-2023 04:02
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

April 28, 2023

You don't read much... They used a solvent to remove everything, except the cellulose matrix, which is used as a structure. The wood is used a a structure, not a conductor, or even a semiconductor.

Plants and trees do conduct electricity, not well, but good enough with a high potential. Lightning strike, or even touching an electric fence. Yeah, you don't need to actually pee on the wire to get zapped... Ever notice how the power company trims tree limbs away from over-head transmission lines?

Then buy stock, you'll make a killing.

ULTRA MAGA

01-05-2023 04:09
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

April 28, 2023

WRONG.

Yawning

Wrong again... Silicon by itself is an insulator, think glass. But, you can add metals and salts to it, called 'doping', which allows current to flow. Depending on how much, and what is added, current will flow only one direction. You can add layers of differently 'doped' silicon, and control which path current will take, called a gate.

So you have already given up on your wood computer chip that does zero quintillion FLOPS, but keeps the woodpeckers happy.

PS. Silicon is a semiconductor, not an insulator nor a conductor, but having properties of both, hence the term, semiconductor.

ULTRA MAGA

01-05-2023 07:36
(5197)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

April 28, 2023

WRONG.

Yawning

So you have already given up on your wood computer chip that does zero quintillion FLOPS, but keeps the woodpeckers happy.

PS. Silicon is a semiconductor, not an insulator nor a conductor, but having properties of both, hence the term, semiconductor.

Are you dyslexic? Pure silicon does not conduct, an insulator. The impurities added, are what conduct.
01-05-2023 13:11
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

April 28, 2023

WRONG.

Yawning

Are you dyslexic? Pure silicon does not conduct, an insulator. The impurities added, are what conduct.

However, you still cannot answer the question as to how many FLOPS the wood transistor that is the subject of this post is capable of. FLOPS by the way is an acronym for floating-point operations per second which describes the speed of the chip. So what is the speed of your wood chip? You forgot to mention this for some reason

Again Silicon was chosen for semiconductor design because in practical design it has both insulating and conduction abilities. Arguing this fact because you want desperately for me to be wrong makes you look silly as the fact is that Silicon does both in chips and that this is why it is there instead of copper or plastic like your brain uses

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 01-05-2023 13:22
01-05-2023 18:44
(5197)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

April 28, 2023

WRONG.

Yawning

However, you still cannot answer the question as to how many FLOPS the wood transistor that is the subject of this post is capable of. FLOPS by the way is an acronym for floating-point operations per second which describes the speed of the chip. So what is the speed of your wood chip? You forgot to mention this for some reason

Again Silicon was chosen for semiconductor design because in practical design it has both insulating and conduction abilities. Arguing this fact because you want desperately for me to be wrong makes you look silly as the fact is that Silicon does both in chips and that this is why it is there instead of copper or plastic like your brain uses

Your a moron, an seem really proud of the fact. You are totally clueless in electronics and computers, well pretty much everything you babble on about. A semiconductor, is not the same thing as a chip. Microprocessors are benchmarked in FLOPs. A microprocessors is made of a variety of semiconductor device. The simplest semiconductor is a diode, it doesn't do operations...
01-05-2023 19:38
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

April 28, 2023

WRONG.

Yawning

Your a moron, an seem really proud of the fact. You are totally clueless in electronics and computers, well pretty much everything you babble on about. A semiconductor, is not the same thing as a chip. Microprocessors are benchmarked in FLOPs. A microprocessors is made of a variety of semiconductor device. The simplest semiconductor is a diode, it doesn't do operations...

LOL, tell us more about the wood transistor that you invested the farm in? Does it do FLOPS or is it just a FLOP like you?

ULTRA MAGA

01-05-2023 21:54
(21597)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

April 28, 2023

Wood does conduct. It is like a resistor.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
01-05-2023 21:56
(21597)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

April 28, 2023

WRONG.

Yawning

Silicon is not a semiconductor. It is an insulator. A good one too.

The Parrot Killer

01-05-2023 22:00
(5197)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

April 28, 2023

WRONG.

Yawning

LOL, tell us more about the wood transistor that you invested the farm in? Does it do FLOPS or is it just a FLOP like you?

Read the article I linked to, if you won't further humiliation. There are comments after. Of, if you really are curious, there is a link inside the article, to the paper the article is based on. That is all I've read on this. The knowledge of semiconductors came from school, and decades of actually working with them.

Now, go spread that manure for your master's tomato farm. And try not to roll around in it, like you did last year, freak.
01-05-2023 22:01
(21597)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

April 28, 2023

WRONG.

Yawning

No one is talking about a wood computer chip.
Silicon is not a semiconductor. It is an insulator. It does not conduct.

The Parrot Killer

01-05-2023 22:03
(21597)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

April 28, 2023

WRONG.

Yawning

Silicon is not a semiconductor. It is an insulator.

The Parrot Killer

01-05-2023 22:04
(21597)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

April 28, 2023

WRONG.

Yawning

No one is talking about wood microprocessors except you. Mantra 40a.

The Parrot Killer

01-05-2023 22:21
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

April 28, 2023

WRONG.

Yawning

And in reality. Silicon is a chemical element with the symbol Si and atomic number 14. It is a hard, brittle crystalline solid with a blue-grey metallic luster, and is a tetravalent metalloid and semiconductor.

ULTRA MAGA

01-05-2023 22:27
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
link

April 28, 2023

WRONG.

Yawning

Actually the main thread mentions wood transistors and silicon used in microprocessors. If you actually had an IQ you would know that a decent cpu has hundreds of millions of transistors, if not more. So do keep us informed as to when you put Intel out of business with your pine sap chip.

ULTRA MAGA

01-05-2023 22:36
(5197)
Oh, should explain the humor of the article. Forgot about your marginal intellect likely missed it...

The ultra-pure silicon used in semiconductors, is the same ultra-pure silicon used for solar panels. Solar cells are... Guess... Solar cells are arrays of semiconductors! Going 'green' is putting a squeeze pure silicon production, and the wood semiconductors, is a lame attempt to mitigate, or at least score some Bide research bucks. Biden will fund anything with a 'green' label these days. Biden set aside billions of tax dollars,to fund opening some chip manufacturing plants. Competing for the needed silicon, is really going to hurt production, an profitability. The silicon used for one residential rooftop solar installation, would have produced literally millions of computer chips. Yep, there is only a very thin, few millimeters square piece in each chip.
01-05-2023 22:54
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Oh, should explain the humor of the article. Forgot about your marginal intellect likely missed it...

The ultra-pure silicon used in semiconductors, is the same ultra-pure silicon used for solar panels. Solar cells are... Guess... Solar cells are arrays of semiconductors! Going 'green' is putting a squeeze pure silicon production, and the wood semiconductors, is a lame attempt to mitigate, or at least score some Bide research bucks. Biden will fund anything with a 'green' label these days. Biden set aside billions of tax dollars,to fund opening some chip manufacturing plants. Competing for the needed silicon, is really going to hurt production, an profitability. The silicon used for one residential rooftop solar installation, would have produced literally millions of computer chips. Yep, there is only a very thin, few millimeters square piece in each chip.

Pure silicon is not used in semiconductors

ULTRA MAGA

02-05-2023 07:42
(5197)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Yes, it is. Jesus... An I.C. (integrated circuit) is but on a thin disk of pure silicon, a 'wafer', the substrate. Layers of doped silicon is deposited on the substrate, which defines the circuit, and properties. I'm sure you can find a picture book version, or YouTube explaining the fabrication processes used.

Now, go take another bath, still stink like manure...
02-05-2023 13:49
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Yes, it is. Jesus... An I.C. (integrated circuit) is but on a thin disk of pure silicon, a 'wafer', the substrate. Layers of doped silicon is deposited on the substrate, which defines the circuit, and properties. I'm sure you can find a picture book version, or YouTube explaining the fabrication processes used.

The Silicon is combined with other materials. The conductivity of silicon is increased by adding a small amount (of the order of 1 in 108) of pentavalent (antimony, phosphorus, or arsenic) or trivalent (boron, gallium, indium) atoms. This process is known as doping, and the resulting semiconductors are known as doped or extrinsic semiconductors.

Pure Gold is also not used in making jewelry as it is far too soft so Copper, Nickle or Zinc are added to increase the hardness of the metal

ULTRA MAGA

02-05-2023 20:18
(5197)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

The Silicon is combined with other materials. The conductivity of silicon is increased by adding a small amount (of the order of 1 in 108) of pentavalent (antimony, phosphorus, or arsenic) or trivalent (boron, gallium, indium) atoms. This process is known as doping, and the resulting semiconductors are known as doped or extrinsic semiconductors.

Pure Gold is also not used in making jewelry as it is far too soft so Copper, Nickle or Zinc are added to increase the hardness of the metal

Really? I've got an old ring, with a pretty big natural gold nugget, surrounded by tiny ones (flakes?). Grandfather left it to me. Pure gold is used in electronics. Thin gold wires, thinner than a human hair, are used to connect the silicon to the pins/pads that run outside the package, to be soldered on a circuit board. Connectors and PC boards sometimes gold plated, for corrosion resistance.
02-05-2023 20:32
(21597)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:

WRONG.

Yawning

And in reality. Silicon is a chemical element with the symbol Si and atomic number 14. It is a hard, brittle crystalline solid with a blue-grey metallic luster, and is a tetravalent metalloid and semiconductor.
Silicon is not a conductor or a semiconductor.

The Parrot Killer

02-05-2023 20:33
(21597)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Actually

Mantra 40a.

The Parrot Killer

02-05-2023 20:35
(21597)
HarveyH55 wrote:

Silicon does not conduct at all. It is an insulator. Solar cells are not made of pure silicon.
They are constructed as very large flat diodes.

The Parrot Killer

02-05-2023 20:36
(21597)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Silicon is not a semiconductor.
Pure silicon IS used in chips. It is used as an insulator.

The Parrot Killer

02-05-2023 20:38
(21597)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

...deleted insult...

This is correct. Do you suppose he can handle a picture book?
Silicon is not exactly in short supply. Common beach sand is mostly silicon.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 02-05-2023 20:42
02-05-2023 20:41
(21597)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Really? I've got an old ring, with a pretty big natural gold nugget, surrounded by tiny ones (flakes?). Grandfather left it to me. Pure gold is used in electronics. Thin gold wires, thinner than a human hair, are used to connect the silicon to the pins/pads that run outside the package, to be soldered on a circuit board. Connectors and PC boards sometimes gold plated, for corrosion resistance.
Particularly on connectors and switches.

The Parrot Killer

03-05-2023 04:23
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

A gold nugget is not a ring that fits over a finger, you are confused as the ring part is not pure gold. Besides moron, there is no such thing as a pure gold nugget, as gold is only pure after processing and all nuggets are unprocessed.

You are retarded

ULTRA MAGA

03-05-2023 23:09
(21597)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

A gold nugget is not a ring that fits over a finger, you are confused as the ring part is not pure gold. Besides moron, there is no such thing as a pure gold nugget, as gold is only pure after processing and all nuggets are unprocessed.

You are retarded

Gold does not need 'processing' to be pure gold.

The Parrot Killer

04-05-2023 02:13
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

You are retarded

So in your sad little World when gold is mined it is already .9999 percent pure. In reality in the real World a gold nugget lies somewhere between 50% and 95% pure with the rest being other minerals such as quartz.

Except in your little troll World where you and your mommy live in harmony with the turtles

ULTRA MAGA

04-05-2023 04:09
(5197)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

You are retarded

You really don't know much about anything... One too many E.C.T. sessions? The band is silver, the nuggets embedded. There probably isn't more than a couple grams of gold, if removed.

Gold ore needs processed, nuggets are often relatively pure. Processing removes rock/quartz that maybe in or on the surface of the gold metal. Natural gold isn't an alloy, usually.
04-05-2023 07:28
(21597)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

You are retarded

So in your sad little World when gold is mined it is already .9999 percent pure. In reality in the real World a gold nugget lies somewhere between 50% and 95% pure with the rest being other minerals such as quartz.

Gold nuggets are often pure gold.

The Parrot Killer

04-05-2023 13:10
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

You are retarded

You really don't know much about anything... One too many E.C.T. sessions? The band is silver, the nuggets embedded. There probably isn't more than a couple grams of gold, if removed.

Gold ore needs processed, nuggets are often relatively pure. Processing removes rock/quartz that maybe in or on the surface of the gold metal. Natural gold isn't an alloy, usually.

Actually all mined or panned gold contains impurities until it is combined with Chloride and smelted. Most mined gold is about 85% pure, the most common impurities in gold are silver, copper, zinc and iron. .9999 percent gold nuggets do not exist on the Earth

ULTRA MAGA

04-05-2023 21:01
(21597)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

You are retarded

Actually all mined or panned gold contains impurities until it is combined with Chloride and smelted. Most mined gold is about 85% pure, the most common impurities in gold are silver, copper, zinc and iron. .9999 percent gold nuggets do not exist on the Earth

Yes it does.
Gold is not combined with chloride to be smelted. You do not need to smelt gold.
Gold is easily separated from any of the other metals you listed (if any) by melting it.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 04-05-2023 21:03
04-05-2023 21:36
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

You are retarded

Yes it does.
Gold is not combined with chloride to be smelted. You do not need to smelt gold.
Gold is easily separated from any of the other metals you listed (if any) by melting it.

Wrong again Shirley

Gold miners have to smelt their gold in order to remove impurities resulting in pure gold. Most large scale gold miners send their ore to smelters with large equipment for the smelting process. Small scale miners still can do their own smelting using specialized kilns . Many people confuse gold smelting with melting.

You are a professional potato peeler for this reason

Smelting Gold

ULTRA MAGA

Edited on 04-05-2023 21:52
04-05-2023 23:43
(5197)
Dang you don't read... Smelting is separating a metal from ore, by heating it in a container. The rock and crap either burns up, or floats to the top of the molten metal. The crap on top is called 'slag', and skimmed off. Cast from lead and pewter, mostly bought molds. Made several of my own molds, but found 100% silicone caulk to be a very good material. Did a video on YouTube, which got a lot of views and comments... Though many of the comments were kind of negative. It was my first mold, and no idea if it was going to hold up, catch fire, explode. The silicone caulk was suppose to be good up to 500 F. Lead is around 460-470 F. Worked great, mold still in good shape, after 60 pours. Didn't need 60, just curious. Anyway, the negative comments were about my lack of protective gear... But, it's Florida, high humidity. Fully covered, would mean a lot of sweat. Water and hot metal is explosive.

Anyway, gold extracted from ore, can pickup other metals. Nuggets, flakes, and dust are pure gold...
Page 1 of 3123>

Join the debate TRANSISTORS THAT GROW ON TREES:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Geneticaly modifying plants and trees for carbon capture?411-06-2022 09:21
The Fastest Way To Solve Climate Change Problem Is Making Plant Trees Become A Competitive Sport2229-01-2021 23:51
The Land Conflicted Area Will Be Settled Via Plant Trees Competition227-01-2021 19:21
Burning Trees (carbon neutral) and the IPCC314-01-2020 21:44
Climate Change causing Iguana populations to grow, at an alarming rate!003-07-2019 04:04
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact