▼ Content

Torque curves

Page 1 of 212>
Torque curves17-05-2022 10:38
Coby 1
★☆☆☆☆
(56)
Hi All,

Petrol heads keep on referring to the "torque curve" of an electric motor whenever the subject of a 'mechanical gearbox' comes up in conversations about electric vehicles:

The 'torque curve' of an electric motor is irrelevant to the design of an electrical system!
The starting point in the design of battery powered electrical system is the 'load current characteristic' of the system, which will comprise a 'spike' followed by a 'curve'.
A mechanical gearbox incorporated within the system, will provide an ever smoother 'load current characteristic' and therefore be much more efficient.

On board charging will reduce the weight of the battery bank and therefore provide much needed longevity (as well as preserving limited natural resources).
17-05-2022 13:11
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Hybrids are the best.Dedicated EV not so much
17-05-2022 13:53
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
Coby 1 wrote:
Hi All,

Petrol heads keep on referring to the "torque curve" of an electric motor whenever the subject of a 'mechanical gearbox' comes up in conversations about electric vehicles:

The 'torque curve' of an electric motor is irrelevant to the design of an electrical system!
The starting point in the design of battery powered electrical system is the 'load current characteristic' of the system, which will comprise a 'spike' followed by a 'curve'.
A mechanical gearbox incorporated within the system, will provide an ever smoother 'load current characteristic' and therefore be much more efficient.

On board charging will reduce the weight of the battery bank and therefore provide much needed longevity (as well as preserving limited natural resources).

LOL and where do the countless millions of people who do not own a home in the burbs charge their toy electric car at night, so that it works in the morning?

Be specific?

PS. Dead batteries produce no torque kid, not sure if your mommy told you that
Edited on 17-05-2022 13:56
17-05-2022 14:07
Coby 1
★☆☆☆☆
(56)
Do you have lamp posts in the good old US of A?

My 'mommy' doesn't know too much about electric vehicles, but my father was an electrician and his father was a motor mechanic.
17-05-2022 14:14
Coby 1
★☆☆☆☆
(56)
Hybrids are not just inefficient (carrying two engines around is quite some unnecessary burden), but they will also be no use at all once there is no more petrol or diesel on sale.
17-05-2022 14:53
Coby 1
★☆☆☆☆
(56)
The oil isn't going to last much longer now that the Russians have discovered that it is possible to run an entire peasant population if you turn them upside down, stick a hose pipe up their butt and pour oil straight into their digestive systems.

It doesn't keep them going for long, but nobody cares because they are all having so much fun setting light to each others' farts.
17-05-2022 14:54
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
Coby 1 wrote:

My 'mommy' doesn't know too much about electric vehicles, but my father was an electrician and his father was a motor mechanic.

No the USA does not have lamp post that the public can charge their electric car from nor would the wires leading from this post in your mind be legal in any American city because of safety concerns.

But you keep jerking off in public
17-05-2022 17:14
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
Coby 1 wrote:

And you are a turdy kid on the internet who believes the BS that the government uses to program your as said turdy mind
17-05-2022 17:42
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
Coby 1 wrote:Hybrids ... will also be no use at all once there is no more petrol or diesel on sale.

Coby, I'm not much of a fan of your mincing of words in your lame attempt to push your ideology.

Let's jump to the chase. Why should we abandon capitalism?
17-05-2022 20:25
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
IBdaMann wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:Hybrids ... will also be no use at all once there is no more petrol or diesel on sale.

Coby, I'm not much of a fan of your mincing of words in your lame attempt to push your ideology.

See what happens when you take the meds? You make sense
17-05-2022 21:42
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Like I said, I was just waiting for Abilify to be offered in "strawberry-banana" because I hate the standard wintergreen flavor.
17-05-2022 22:25
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Like I said, I was just waiting for Abilify to be offered in "strawberry-banana" because I hate the standard wintergreen flavor.

Well in that case send me two pints.....................
17-05-2022 22:44
James_
★★★★★
(2225)
Coby 1 wrote:
The oil isn't going to last much longer now that the Russians have discovered that it is possible to run an entire peasant population if you turn them upside down, stick a hose pipe up their butt and pour oil straight into their digestive systems.

It doesn't keep them going for long, but nobody cares because they are all having so much fun setting light to each others' farts.

And you just explained why capitalists like Americans hate Norwegians. Understand what a finite resource is and manage it. When Russia slowed energy to Europe in 2021 it signaled its intentions.
You want our energy and we want Ukraine. With Russia, they could've shown how to adapt to their values/situation but failed to do so. When the former USSR ended it is because its leaders realized the world had changed.
And yet the West is still focused on the stock market while Russia had a very bad knee jerk reaction. What people fail to understand that being born is a life sentence.
17-05-2022 23:09
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
James_ wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:

And you just explained why capitalists like Americans hate Norwegians. Understand what a finite resource is and manage it. When Russia slowed energy to Europe in 2021 it signaled its intentions.
You want our energy and we want Ukraine. With Russia, they could've shown how to adapt to their values/situation but failed to do so. When the former USSR ended it is because its leaders realized the world had changed.
And yet the West is still focused on the stock market while Russia had a very bad knee jerk reaction. What people fail to understand that being born is a life sentence.

The USSR folded because Reagan outspent them with intelligent arms instead of just bigger ones. Funny one would think that the Norwegians hate America, besides what is a Norwegian?
18-05-2022 00:52
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
Coby 1 wrote:
Hi All,

Sounds like a load, of bullshit to me... Torque, is what gets the vehicle in motion, from a dead stop. This requires a huge load of current to be drawn. This needs to be addressed first. Your battery, wiring, control electronics need be able to safely provide that current, without burning up. The more weight you add to the vehicle, increase the amount of torque need to get it moving. Which should get interesting as more EVs hit the road. Not many people are aware of cargo capacity of their vehicles as it is. But, with an EV, it's going to be a significant detail. The motor and drive train will determine what's needed to safely deliver the current. Every time you start off from a dead-stop, you are going to draw a huge amount of current. How much is convert to motion, and how much is wasted from heating the wiring is important
18-05-2022 02:26
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:
Hi All,

Sounds like a load, of bullshit to me... Torque, is what gets the vehicle in motion, from a dead stop. This requires a huge load of current to be drawn. This needs to be addressed first. Your battery, wiring, control electronics need be able to safely provide that current, without burning up. The more weight you add to the vehicle, increase the amount of torque need to get it moving. Which should get interesting as more EVs hit the road. Not many people are aware of cargo capacity of their vehicles as it is. But, with an EV, it's going to be a significant detail. The motor and drive train will determine what's needed to safely deliver the current. Every time you start off from a dead-stop, you are going to draw a huge amount of current. How much is convert to motion, and how much is wasted from heating the wiring is important

Actually bullshit can be added to a garden as fertilizer, the nonsense he wrote is only testament to his maggot filled mind
18-05-2022 02:49
James_
★★★★★
(2225)
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:

The USSR folded because Reagan outspent them with intelligent arms instead of just bigger ones. Funny one would think that the Norwegians hate America, besides what is a Norwegian?

Fortunately for you the U.S. is about white supremacy. Ancient Rome fell for
the same reason. They were just that good.
18-05-2022 04:40
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:

LOL are there actually any black people in Norway? Living ones that you didn't already hang that is?
18-05-2022 05:26
James_
★★★★★
(2225)
As a disabled Veteran of the U.S. Navy, I am not welcome in the U.S.
I am a disabled Veteran because I served while having a Norwegian accent.
I wasn't the "right" kind of person to have a life in the U.S.
Your post is so bigoted I can only reply that I am not an American. And yet you went racial so very quickly as an "American". I'm a "Norwegian".

p.s., some people call the Puget Sound and the Straights of Juan De Fuca the Salish Sea. Who is right?

Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:

LOL are there actually any black people in Norway? Living ones that you didn't already hang that is?

Edited on 18-05-2022 05:29
18-05-2022 06:25
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Coby 1 wrote:
Hybrids are not just inefficient (carrying two engines around is quite some unnecessary burden), but they will also be no use at all once there is no more petrol or diesel on sale.

Can you tell me when the fuel will run out?Hybrids can operate on Hydrogen

duncan61
18-05-2022 09:40
Coby 1
★☆☆☆☆
(56)
Liquid Hydrogen is -240 degrees centigrade, the North & South poles are only -50 to -100.

That means if we produce Hydrogen using surplus electricity from wind turbines located at the poles and then store it in those regions, we will be able to attract sea ice back to those regions and reverse (or address the problem of) rising sea levels.

Therefore; why waste hydrogen powering vehicles when we can get away with using batteries to power vehicles and use hydrogen for something more crucial to the future of mankind?
18-05-2022 11:26
Coby 1
★☆☆☆☆
(56)
Capitalism is, in essence "the control of Greed" which (greed being one of the seven deadly sins) always has been and always will be, a tricky balancing act to achieve.

You must provide temptation whilst controlling (or regulating) the lust/want/greed that the temptation will inevitably cause within the intended customers.

As I said; "tricky balancing act"!

Too much regulation and everything seems out of reach, so potential clients give up.
Not enough regulation and you end up with your rivers catching fire and a populous that becomes spoiled, ungrateful, impossible to satisfy and trillions of dollars in debt.

Thankfully I am an electrician not a politician, so I don't have to worry about it.
18-05-2022 19:44
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21588)
Coby 1 wrote:
Hi All,

Because gearboxes (transmissions, and fixed gear trains) are designed that way.
Coby 1 wrote:

Nope. The torque curve is central to anything driving a gearbox.
Coby 1 wrote:

WRONG. The starting point of a battery powered electrical system is the load required. Again, the torque curve becomes important here.
Coby 1 wrote:

Gearboxes do not use current and do not create energy.
Coby 1 wrote:
On board charging

From where? ALL charging requires the use of another power source, typically fuel.
Coby 1 wrote:
will reduce the weight of the battery bank and therefore provide much needed longevity (as well as preserving limited natural resources).

So...by using fuel you preserving so-called 'limited' natural resources?? Gotit.

Lithium is far more limited than oil. There just simply isn't enough lithium in the world to make all those batteries. The electric car will wind up being far more expensive than it already is as supplies of lithium dwindle.

Oil, however, is a renewable resource.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
18-05-2022 19:46
(21588)
duncan61 wrote:
Hybrids are the best.Dedicated EV not so much

Not really. You are carrying around TWO power plants plus the batteries. That's added weight.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
18-05-2022 19:47
(21588)
Coby 1 wrote:

You're going to try to charge an electric car off a lamp post???

The Parrot Killer

18-05-2022 19:48
(21588)
Coby 1 wrote:

It's a car. It has a use.

The Parrot Killer

18-05-2022 19:58
(21588)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:
Hi All,

Most electric cars use a duty cycle control mechanism. AC is fed to the motor, not DC. The batteries power an inverter. The only real beefy part is the pass transistor for the primary on the inverter.

Waste heat from the batteries discharging is a certainly a factor, since overheated batteries easily catch fire and destroy the vehicle. The control system, however, is pretty efficient.

The Parrot Killer

18-05-2022 20:01
(21588)
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:

The U.S. has never been about white supremacy.

Racism.

The Parrot Killer

18-05-2022 20:03
(21588)
duncan61 wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:

Can you tell me when the fuel will run out?Hybrids can operate on Hydrogen

Making hydrogen requires fuel.

No, the fuel will not run out. Oil is a renewable resource. So is methane.

The Parrot Killer

18-05-2022 20:13
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
James_ wrote:
Your post is so bigoted I can only reply that I am not an American. And yet you went racial so very quickly as an "American". I'm a "Norwegian".

p.s., some people call the Puget Sound and the Straights of Juan De Fuca the Salish Sea. Who is right?

Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:

LOL so you are a disabled American veteran because you have a Norwegian accent? Please elaborate how this disables you or why you were allowed to enlist with the accent that you have?

Are you also kookoo for cocoa puffs
19-05-2022 02:04
(21588)
Coby 1 wrote:
Liquid Hydrogen is -240 degrees centigrade, the North & South poles are only -50 to -100.

That means if we produce Hydrogen using surplus electricity from wind turbines located at the poles and then store it in those regions, we will be able to attract sea ice back to those regions and reverse (or address the problem of) rising sea levels.

Therefore; why waste hydrogen powering vehicles when we can get away with using batteries to power vehicles and use hydrogen for something more crucial to the future of mankind?

Wind turbines cannot operate in icing conditions.
Batteries must be charged. That generally requires fuel.
It is not possible to measure the global sea level.
You cannot decrease entropy. Attempting to pump water back to the poles is fruitless.
Storing hydrogen at the poles means you have to ship it there, then ship it to where it's needed...at tremendous cost.

The Parrot Killer

19-05-2022 02:10
(21588)
Coby 1 wrote:
Capitalism is, in essence "the control of Greed" which (greed being one of the seven deadly sins) always has been and always will be, a tricky balancing act to achieve.

No 'balancing' is necessary. Capitalism by it's very nature is charity. It serves your fellow man. Failure to do so means to fail in capitalism.
Coby 1 wrote:
You must provide temptation whilst controlling (or regulating) the lust/want/greed that the temptation will inevitably cause within the intended customer.

Capitalism requires no government at all. Indeed, it was capitalism operating outside of government that built all the cities in America you see today and created the personal computer you are using right now.
Coby 1 wrote:
As I said; "tricky balancing act"!

Nothing to balance.
Coby 1 wrote:
Too much regulation and everything seems out of reach, so potential clients give up.
Not enough regulation and you end up with your rivers catching fire and a populous that becomes spoiled, ungrateful, impossible to satisfy and trillions of dollars in debt.

Debt is not necessary for capitalism. Fascism and communism is not capitalism.
Coby 1 wrote:
Thankfully I am an electrician not a politician, so I don't have to worry about it.

You obviously are not, since you have already demonstrated you don't know where electrical power comes from or how to manipulate it.

The Parrot Killer

19-05-2022 02:11
(21588)
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:

Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:

LOL so you are a disabled American veteran because you have a Norwegian accent? Please elaborate how this disables you or why you were allowed to enlist with the accent that you have?

Word stuffing. Insult fallacy. No argument presented.

The Parrot Killer

20-05-2022 17:35
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:

Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James_ wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:

Correct as I refuse to argue with schizzos like you. it's pointless, on the other hand you are rather funny at times
20-05-2022 19:02
(21588)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Correct as I refuse to argue with schizzos like you. it's pointless, on the other hand you are rather funny at times

Insult fallacies. No argument presented.

The Parrot Killer

20-05-2022 20:35
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5712)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Actually where you are concerned none of my insults are fallacious, as I assure you they are quite real
20-05-2022 22:17
James_
★★★★★
(2225)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Actually where you are concerned none of my insults are fallacious, as I assure you they are quite real

And now you have ITN thinking fellatio and phallic. Kind of
why he likes talking about such things. He should go get drunk
with lite beer. That's a code name for a banned forum member.
After all, a fallacy is merely wishful thinking which he keeps
talking about, right?

p.s., this is a research paper that can help me. The main issue is
I'm not a scientist.

Under such conditions, CH2O seems
to be a suitable candidate for testing the current understanding of
the methane oxidation process. Despite the relatively uncompli-
cated chemistry in the background troposphere, prior studies have
shown certain discrepancies between simulated and observed
CH2O concentrations. Some authors reported measured CH2O
concentrations significantly lower than predicted by models [Liu
et al., 1992; Zhou et al., 1996; Jacob et al., 1996], while others
came to the opposite conclusions [Ayers et al., 1997; Weller et
al., 2000]. The reasons for these discrepancies are not clear.
https://d1wqtxts1xzle7.cloudfront.net/50897614/2001jd00072220161215-29164-c9he6y-libre.pdf?1481796224=&response-content-disposition=attachment%3B+filename%3DAre_CH2O_measurements_in_the_marine_boun.pdf&Expires=1653078011&Signature=Fshq4EBhHpMN5Hfubh2o1pqNzjaQX91WUhJnxp1dVaeBOdnRdFgSqwCEwhzw80B4WG58tvtAr8mjzgxNfMqylnS6qdK7k6h~yve12PGvyi0YhY5aaUrFT4q-toLMFmutE1hU~h-dvY4X3A8GGXS~NncXSW2LcjZMpbf2i6Z1524ThjKHuyJmTSrH2WOKSDkuUVa1gHSJkUI0S3oqfnjh8yziOd~JUw8MYclfHdKeEvpE9hu6dxWX5wrzcSUrI86vh2zLbNtgCR3hFim~60goCRakF6cjkqxTaS~MFnpF1WeD7cwhHcLBo46~wzD0EgP-xd2WfCGjhoTUt-U5STVFAA__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJLOHF5GGSLRBV4ZA

I'm the person who might have the answer. I've read a lot of research papers
and I have my core focus which goes back to the IPCC's 2013 report on climate change. I might be the person who teaches the IPCC what they don't know.
Yet their problem shouldn't be my problem. The primary issue might be that the leading scientists have no interest in science. The church has the same problem with its preachers.
Edited on 20-05-2022 22:27
20-05-2022 22:33
(21588)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Justification of insult fallacy. No argument presented.

The Parrot Killer

20-05-2022 22:36
(21588)
James_ wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

And now you have ITN thinking fellatio and phallic. Kind of
why he likes talking about such things. He should go get drunk
with lite beer. That's a code name for a banned forum member.
After all, a fallacy is merely wishful thinking which he keeps
talking about, right?

p.s., this is a research paper that can help me. The main issue is
I'm not a scientist.

Under such conditions, CH2O seems
to be a suitable candidate for testing the current understanding of
the methane oxidation process. Despite the relatively uncompli-
cated chemistry in the background troposphere, prior studies have
shown certain discrepancies between simulated and observed
CH2O concentrations. Some authors reported measured CH2O
concentrations significantly lower than predicted by models [Liu
et al., 1992; Zhou et al., 1996; Jacob et al., 1996], while others
came to the opposite conclusions [Ayers et al., 1997; Weller et
al., 2000]. The reasons for these discrepancies are not clear.
https://d1wqtxts1xzle7.cloudfront.net/50897614/2001jd00072220161215-29164-c9he6y-libre.pdf?1481796224=&response-content-disposition=attachment%3B+filename%3DAre_CH2O_measurements_in_the_marine_boun.pdf&Expires=1653078011&Signature=Fshq4EBhHpMN5Hfubh2o1pqNzjaQX91WUhJnxp1dVaeBOdnRdFgSqwCEwhzw80B4WG58tvtAr8mjzgxNfMqylnS6qdK7k6h~yve12PGvyi0YhY5aaUrFT4q-toLMFmutE1hU~h-dvY4X3A8GGXS~NncXSW2LcjZMpbf2i6Z1524ThjKHuyJmTSrH2WOKSDkuUVa1gHSJkUI0S3oqfnjh8yziOd~JUw8MYclfHdKeEvpE9hu6dxWX5wrzcSUrI86vh2zLbNtgCR3hFim~60goCRakF6cjkqxTaS~MFnpF1WeD7cwhHcLBo46~wzD0EgP-xd2WfCGjhoTUt-U5STVFAA__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJLOHF5GGSLRBV4ZA

I'm the person who might have the answer. I've read a lot of research papers
and I have my core focus which goes back to the IPCC's 2013 report on climate change. I might be the person who teaches the IPCC what they don't know.
Yet their problem shouldn't be my problem. The primary issue might be that the leading scientists have no interest in science. The church has the same problem with its preachers.
There is no background troposphere. It is not possible to measure the global concentration of methane.

The Parrot Killer

20-05-2022 22:46
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
Hybrids are more efficient because the ice engine operates at optimal load. ICE engine ticking slowly around the town is inefficient. Simple as that. The overall efficiency is however questionable.
Page 1 of 212>

Join the debate Torque curves:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
From ice core analysis to temperature curves26609-09-2021 01:41
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact