Remember me
▼ Content

Time Crystal

Page 1 of 3123>
Time Crystal15-09-2021 20:19
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1639)
Interesting Physics news...

With the ability to forever cycle between two states without ever losing energy, time crystals dodge one of the most important laws of physics — the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the disorder, or entropy, of an isolated system must always increase. These bizarre time crystals remain stable, resisting any dissolution into randomness, despite existing in a constant state of flux.

According to a research article posted July 28 to the preprint database arXiv, scientists were able to create the time crystal for roughly 100 seconds using qubits (quantum computing's version of the traditional computer bit) inside the core of Google's Sycamore quantum processor.

https://www.livescience.com/amp/google-invents-time-crystal

15-09-2021 21:12
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
I have a long list of sources that I "dismiss on sight", and livescience.com is right up there with the upper echelon of misinformation purveyors.

Someone else can look and see whether or not livescience.com finally got something right... my money is on "NO".
Edited on 15-09-2021 21:14
15-09-2021 21:19
(1639)
gfm7175 wrote:
I have a long list of sources that I "dismiss on sight", and livescience.com is right up there with the upper echelon of misinformation purveyors.

Someone else can look and see whether or not livescience.com finally got something right... my money is on "NO".

This article has a link to the research paper.

https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/google-says-it-has-created-a-time-crystal-in-a-quantum-computer-and-its-weirder-than-you-can-imagine/

15-09-2021 21:38
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Interesting Physics news...

With the ability to forever cycle between two states without ever losing energy, time crystals dodge one of the most important laws of physics — the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the disorder, or entropy, of an isolated system must always increase. These bizarre time crystals remain stable, resisting any dissolution into randomness, despite existing in a constant state of flux.

According to a research article posted July 28 to the preprint database arXiv, scientists were able to create the time crystal for roughly 100 seconds using qubits (quantum computing's version of the traditional computer bit) inside the core of Google's Sycamore quantum processor.

https://www.livescience.com/amp/google-invents-time-crystal

I say bull puck!! The supposed "time crystals " are merely conserving energy from the Earth's gravitational field. The Sun will gain mass and become larger as a result of its gravity. That is not entropy.
15-09-2021 22:01
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
Spongy Iris wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:

https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/google-says-it-has-created-a-time-crystal-in-a-quantum-computer-and-its-weirder-than-you-can-imagine/

Like usual, it's news reporters not understanding physics. There is nothing about a so-called time crystal that violates any law of thermodynamics.

The 2nd law of thermodynamics is e(t+1) >= e(t). In other words, in a given system, entropy must always increase or stay the same. It can never decrease.

In a 'time crystal', it simply stays the same. Meh.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
15-09-2021 22:14
(1639)
Into the Night wrote:

Like usual, it's news reporters not understanding physics. There is nothing about a so-called time crystal that violates any law of thermodynamics.

The 2nd law of thermodynamics is e(t+1) >= e(t). In other words, in a given system, entropy must always increase or stay the same. It can never decrease.

As quoted from Live Science

With the ability to forever cycle between two states without ever losing energy, time crystals dodge one of the most important laws of physics

Nothing ever stays the same. It cycles between 2 states.

Edited on 15-09-2021 22:15
15-09-2021 22:52
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:

So you're saying that e(t) + e(1) = e(t)? That's if the problem is factored.
Gravity can decrease and even reverse entropy. After all, the Sun is gaining mass while it's suffering entropy. Just not possible.
15-09-2021 23:15
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14378)

Spongy Iris wrote:This article has a link to the research paper.

Spongy, that is not a research paper. It is just another article. Notice that there is no science presented in any document on the topic.

None.

Let me know when you have some and we can discuss it. Until then, there is no science to discuss.

16-09-2021 00:08
(1639)
IBdaMann wrote:

Spongy, that is not a research paper. It is just another article. Notice that there is no science presented in any document on the topic.

It researches the time crystal, a phase of matter, in constant flux, which doesn't descend into a state of entropy.

Sounds pretty scientific to me.

Edited on 16-09-2021 00:11
16-09-2021 01:06
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

It researches the time crystal, a phase of matter, in constant flux, which doesn't descend into a state of entropy.

How do you know they're not 2 neutrinos being suspended by the quantum frame? Or maybe even 2 gluons that have achieved an equilibrium with their field? Am just being a smart âșş.
16-09-2021 01:32
(1639)
[img][/img]
James___ wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

How do you know they're not 2 neutrinos being suspended by the quantum frame? Or maybe even 2 gluons that have achieved an equilibrium with their field? Am just being a smart âșş.

Edited on 16-09-2021 01:34
16-09-2021 03:41
(14378)

Spongy Iris wrote:Sounds pretty scientific to me.

No offense intended but you are scientifically illiterate and all gibber-babble sounds plausible to you.

The moment you read that something violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics, your first thought should be to unsubscribe to the source, not to presume the author is somehow brilliant. The article you read specifically targets the uneducated gullible by giving them the false sense that they are "in the know" about an amazing technological breakthrough that will make them appear "really smart" when they regurgitate what they read.

I recommend you learn what science is so you can immediately discern when none is present.

Spongy Iris wrote:It researches the time crystal,

I saw no research. I saw no data. I saw no science. I did read a lot of boolsch't, though.

Spongy Iris wrote:a phase of matter, in constant flux, which doesn't descend into a state of entropy.

This is called a "claim.". The article provides zero science and zero support for this claim. The article is summarily dismissed. gfm7175 efficiently arrived at this point without even having to read the article. You should find out his secret.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
16-09-2021 05:06
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Spongy Iris wrote:
[img][/img]
James___ wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

I'm not going to let you take my fun away from me like that. the "time crystal" is influenced by the Earth's gravitational field. The quantum field that contains it is also composed of energy.
For the "time crystal" to be an isolated field, no other force(s) can act on it. It would need to be in interplanetary space. To give you an idea, an electron in space or even a photon does not suffer entropy.
With light from a distant star (Einstein), the number of photons that follow the same path decrease according to the inverse law of mathematics. But the photon is a constant while the magnitude of such photons decrease.
What they seem to be saying is that the "time crystal" is held at one point in space/time and this is a constant like an electron or a photon which perform work but suffer no entropy.
Crystals like diamonds and ice also get into structure. A diamond is forever.

16-09-2021 14:57
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
With quantum computers, the qbits store information and interact with photons and not electrons.
It'd be interesting to know how they suspended 2 crystals in a system designed for photons. I read a science fiction story once where corporate theft happened and it was a quantum computer.
What's supposed to be special about them is that the human brain uses photons so neurons can communicate with each other. Basically the computing power would make Bitcoin worthless. So I do wonder if Google has an actual quantum computer. After all, what are the"time crystals" composed of? I'm thinking it might be computer modeling because I doubt matter would be in a pathway designed for photons to pass through.
According to the link https://www.technologyreview.com/2018/02/21/145300/serious-quantum-computers-are-finally-here-what-are-we-going-to-do-with-them/ quantum computers are still being developed. They do explain that the qbits have basically 2 opposing electromagnetic fields.
Edited on 16-09-2021 15:23
16-09-2021 17:56
(1639)
IBdaMann wrote:

The moment you read that something violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics, your first thought should be to unsubscribe to the source, not to presume the author is somehow brilliant. The article you read specifically targets the uneducated gullible by giving them the false sense that they are "in the know" about an amazing technological breakthrough that will make them appear "really smart" when they regurgitate what they read.

I saw no research. I saw no data. I saw no science. I did read a lot of boolsch't, though.

This is called a "claim.". The article provides zero science and zero support for this claim. The article is summarily dismissed. gfm7175 efficiently arrived at this point without even having to read the article. You should find out his secret.

The support for the claim is linked within the article.

According to a research article posted July 28 to the preprint database arXiv

Just open the article. Then click on arXiv, which is hyperlinked.

16-09-2021 18:39
(21559)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Science isn't a research or study. It isn't a magazine, web, or news article.
Science is a set of falsifiable theories.

Entropy is not a state that something 'descends into'. There is entropy in even the most organized of things.

Entropy is the randomness of a system.

The 2nd law of thermodynamics states that entropy must increase OR STAY THE SAME.

There is no science in this article. Indeed, it ignores the 2nd law of thermodynamics by attempting to define it as something it is not.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 16-09-2021 18:40
16-09-2021 18:43
(21559)
Spongy Iris wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

The support for the claim is linked within the article.

According to a research article posted July 28 to the preprint database arXiv

Just open the article. Then click on arXiv, which is hyperlinked.

Making shit up is not 'support for the claim'. IBD is right. You do tend to fall for any 'sciency sounding' crap as science.

No, you cannot suspend the 2nd law of thermodynamics for even a moment.

The Parrot Killer

16-09-2021 23:13
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:

Superconductivity happens at close to 0° kelvin. I think they have it up to 70° k now. It sounds like the only thing that happened is that they changed the polarity of the qubits.
And as they said in the article, their only use might be in a quantum computer. With the 2nd law of thermodynamics, some wave energy doesn't suffer entropy. And with what was shown might actually be improperly stated. The microwave seems to have transferred energy to the crystals. They changed their polarity, right?
Still, the crystals being supercooled would be why they didn't suffer entropy. Physics allows for that. That's because the crystals are basically isolated from everything around them. And such isolation means they don't interact with anything. Interaction is what causes entropy.
17-09-2021 02:54
(21559)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Superconductivity happens at close to 0° kelvin. I think they have it up to 70° k now. It sounds like the only thing that happened is that they changed the polarity of the qubits.
And as they said in the article, their only use might be in a quantum computer. With the 2nd law of thermodynamics, some wave energy doesn't suffer entropy. And with what was shown might actually be improperly stated. The microwave seems to have transferred energy to the crystals. They changed their polarity, right?
Still, the crystals being supercooled would be why they didn't suffer entropy. Physics allows for that. That's because the crystals are basically isolated from everything around them. And such isolation means they don't interact with anything. Interaction is what causes entropy.

Nothing causes entropy. Entropy simply exists.

The Parrot Killer

17-09-2021 03:02
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5195)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Not much of a computer, if there is no interaction... You need to input a task, data into a computer, and a way to see the results of the computation. Doesn't really fit the definition of a computer, if there is not interaction. Cold like that, doesn't exist in nature, energy is burned, to create the super-cold required. There is no perfect thermostat. The temperature will fluctuate. Though the super-conductive state, has a large tolerance, there is still going to be variance, not perfect.

Articles like this, are meant to generate interest, and research funding, the basically gets flushed down the toilet, pissed away on side projects, personal enrichment, without having to produce anything useful. Investors get this dream, that if they get in early, and cheap, they will get richly reward down the road. Sort of like fusion would be the answer to all of our energy needs in ten years, 50-60 years ago... How many seconds have they sustained fusion? Yeah, it's just a few more years away...
17-09-2021 05:34
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
They get a reaction. Why the qubits change their polarity. Think of the wind blowing past a pole. The wind changing direction is a reaction. If the wind changes the temperature of the pole then they are interacting by transferring heat. A change in kinetic energy encourages entropy.
Changing the order of the 2 opposing fields a qubit has does not mean that the kinetic energy of the qubit has changed. And with ordinary computers, everything is read as 1s and 0s. Then a computer language will translate the sequence of 1s and 0s into programming.
With what they're discussing, changing the polarity allows for 1s and 0s using wave energy and not electrons which are much slower. Basically they're saying they have a quantum model that they can improve. Without stable qubits quantum computing won't be possible. So that'd be what they're excited about.
17-09-2021 07:16
(5195)
James___ wrote:
They get a reaction. Why the qubits change their polarity. Think of the wind blowing past a pole. The wind changing direction is a reaction. If the wind changes the temperature of the pole then they are interacting by transferring heat. A change in kinetic energy encourages entropy.
Changing the order of the 2 opposing fields a qubit has does not mean that the kinetic energy of the qubit has changed. And with ordinary computers, everything is read as 1s and 0s. Then a computer language will translate the sequence of 1s and 0s into programming.
With what they're discussing, changing the polarity allows for 1s and 0s using wave energy and not electrons which are much slower. Basically they're saying they have a quantum model that they can improve. Without stable qubits quantum computing won't be possible. So that'd be what they're excited about.

So. this is still a fantasy, a computer model. Just like Climate Change, and the covid pandemic. All hype and hysteria over a big nothing, computer game, only nerds play. While 'touching' themselves, as the hide in grandma's basement. Rather than going out, and actually getting a real life job.
17-09-2021 07:20
(14378)

James___ wrote:The wind changing direction is a reaction.

I tend to use the word "effect."

James___ wrote:If the wind changes the temperature of the pole then they are interacting by transferring heat.

Heat is not transferred. Heat is generated. Thermal energy is transferred.

James___ wrote:A change in kinetic energy encourages entropy.

Entropy does not listen to a single word of encouragement. Entropy is pretty reckless and it doesn't give one hoot what you have to say.

James___ wrote: Changing the order of the 2 opposing fields a qubit has does not mean that the kinetic energy of the qubit has changed.

I'm glad you posted what it does not mean. I also heard that it does not mean that there will be a corresponding increase in demand for bicycles by schools of fish in the Gulf of Mexico.

James___ wrote: And with ordinary computers, everything is read as 1s and 0s.

Everything is read as a voltage which is determined to be either "high" or "low". The "highs" and "lows" are translated for us humans as "ones" and "zeroes" in the output process. The ones and zeroes are then translated again into human-understandable form.

James___ wrote:Then a computer language will translate the sequence of 1s and 0s into programming.

A lexical analyzer and a semantic parser convert high-level human-readable code into ones and zeroes. The operating system then passes those ones and zeroes to the drivers of the pertinent components to convert into the proper voltages.

James___ wrote: With what they're discussing, changing the polarity allows for 1s and 0s using wave energy and not electrons

There is no such thing as "wave" energy. Yes, in a stadium, the fans generate a lot of energy when they do the wave, but that wave energy is the effect, not the cause, it's the dependent variable, not the independent variable.

James___ wrote: Basically they're saying they have a quantum model that they can improve.

Actually, if you read the paper, the author is pulling muchschytt out of hizzasse. The author describes a model based on "eigenstates" ... which means he's bluffing by speaking in baffling mathematics lingo. I happen to understand eigenvalues and eigenvectors and the mere mention of those words does not science make. Matrix operations and eigenvalues/vectors are indispensable tools for graphics software development but they are not themselves any sort of model. If the author wants to provide a model that is expressed in eigenvectors then great, he should do that. The absence of any such model in the presence of so many math syllables is a clear indication that this is just another "Allow me to manipulate you or I'll call you 'stupid'" article.

James___ wrote: Without stable qubits quantum computing won't be possible.

You don't know that. There might be some other solution.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
17-09-2021 17:03
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

James___ wrote: Basically they're saying they have a quantum model that they can improve.

Actually, if you read the paper, the author is pulling muchschytt out of hizzasse. The author describes a model based on "eigenstates" ... which means he's bluffing by speaking in baffling mathematics lingo. I happen to understand eigenvalues and eigenvectors and the mere mention of those words does not science make. Matrix operations and eigenvalues/vectors are indispensable tools for graphics software development but they are not themselves any sort of model. If the author wants to provide a model that is expressed in eigenvectors then great, he should do that. The absence of any such model in the presence of so many math syllables is a clear indication that this is just another "Allow me to manipulate you or I'll call you 'stupid'" article.

is pulling muchschytt out of hizzasse

Seems to be what you're doing when you say

And yet quantum computers are based on qubits. In the article, the "time crystals" are the qubits. Qubit does not refer to a particular particle but the function that particle serves.

I think this link http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qmech/Quantum/node40.html explains that the qubit is "A" and when the
"general wave function x) acts on "A" becomes a "different shape" which in this case is a different wavelength. An example is when the microwave in their quantum computer flips a qubit, it's shape (frequency) will change.
If as in the special case the "general wave function x" becomes multiple waves then it would be like a prism creating different colors of light. And as we know, light like a microwave is composed of photons.

The 2nd set of equations discusses a particle which could be an electron in a computer. How does it change relative to "A"? With how memory is stored, "A" would refer to how the data reads as far as 1s and 0s goes.

With the attached image, the qubits have 2 opposing electrical fields. This could transform the microwave into 2 different values. If so, then the microwave goes from an eigen state to eigen values. state is singular where as values is plural.
You'll need to click on the image so it will open in another window.
Attached image:

Edited on 17-09-2021 17:18
17-09-2021 18:44
(14378)

James___ wrote:And yet quantum computers are based on qubits.

And yet there are no quantum computers.

Quantum computers exist only in the minds of the scientifically illiterate who are being manipulated by someone who is desperate to appear important.

James___ wrote: Qubit does not refer to a particular particle but the function that particle serves.

"Qubit" does not refer to any function accomplished by any particle but refers to a specific magical superpower of certain theoretical particles whose mere mention powerfully secures research funding from lenders, financial executors and venture capitalists who don't know the difference between a particle and a participle.

James___ wrote: I think this link explains that the qubit is "A" and when the "general wave function ... [noise deleted]

Nope.

What this article does is explain how someone tried to force-fit a purely speculative theory into matrix math, to create a term for the states of the "system", i.e. "eigenstates" and to bizarrely claim that these states are mathematical eigenvalues ... without explaining why that would be. Matrix math, while not terribly difficult, is not commonly understood by laymen so it serves as a great repository for confusing language and poorly understood symbology.

The primary clue of the totally dishonest nature of the article is that the author is interested only in impressing others through confusion and not in trying to explain anything. I know that if I were to write a post explaining eigenstates, eigenvalues, eigenvectors and the theory behind what is being discussed, I would explain several prerequisite concepts that need to be understood first, including the totally speculative nature of the theory itself. I would also take a moment to explain the basics of the math because that is what is needed to understand the material covered in the article.

On the other hand, if I were interested in maximizing confusion and in dishonestly leading people to believe that quantum computers are real and available for purchase online through Amazon or iStore then I would write the article just as it is written.

James___ wrote: ... acts on "A" becomes a "different shape"

What do you think that means? Are you claiming that the "state" of a computer has a shape? How does a shape change under an identity operation?

James___ wrote:... which in this case is a different wavelength.

If the state is a wavelength, why isn't the word "wavelength" used? Why do we need the word "eigenstate"? Is the word "eigenstate" more effective in securing funding?

James___ wrote: An example is when the microwave in their quantum computer flips a qubit, it's shape (frequency) will change.

There are no such examples. There are no quantum computers.

James___ wrote: If as in the special case the "general wave function x" becomes multiple waves then it would be like a prism creating different colors of light.

James__, I hate to break it to you but that is not what a "wave function" is.

In quantum mechanics, "wave function" simply refers to all that is going on that we cannot observe, ergo we don't know how it is proceeding. Once an observation is made then the "wave function" collapses and we can figure out everything that happened after the fact, constrained to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. Re: Schroedinger's Cat

James___ wrote:And as we know, light like a microwave is composed of photons.

It's not "what we know." It's our current operating falsifiable model that serves us well at present.

Quantum mechanics is just math. "Quantum computing" is just theoretical speculation expressed formally in math. There is no way to either verify or to falsify any of it.

17-09-2021 20:33
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

What do you think that means? Are you claiming that the "state" of a computer has a shape? How does a shape change under an identity operation?

If the state is a wavelength, why isn't the word "wavelength" used? Why do we need the word "eigenstate"? Is the word "eigenstate" more effective in securing funding?

If the prism is a qubit then the light before it enters it is an "Eiger state" and the light that has passed through it are "Eiger values". And if the prism is super cooled, then it's possible that it will have suffered no entropy.
And if the prism has 2 opposing electromagnetic fields that reverse their polarity then the work done is why light changes when passing through a prism. The light would suffer entropy. In the case of the prism, it warms. In a super cooled field, the light heat would be removed by what's cooling the field, why it's cold in the first place.

p.s., as for changing it's "shape", the parabola that is its sine wave would change shape. This would show a change in its frequency/wavelength. With the article, they didn't say if the initial Eiger state changed its shape (wavelength) or if it became Eiger values.
Attached image:

Edited on 17-09-2021 20:44
17-09-2021 20:46
(21559)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Not much of a computer, if there is no interaction... You need to input a task, data into a computer, and a way to see the results of the computation. Doesn't really fit the definition of a computer, if there is not interaction. Cold like that, doesn't exist in nature, energy is burned, to create the super-cold required. There is no perfect thermostat. The temperature will fluctuate. Though the super-conductive state, has a large tolerance, there is still going to be variance, not perfect.

Articles like this, are meant to generate interest, and research funding, the basically gets flushed down the toilet, pissed away on side projects, personal enrichment, without having to produce anything useful. Investors get this dream, that if they get in early, and cheap, they will get richly reward down the road. Sort of like fusion would be the answer to all of our energy needs in ten years, 50-60 years ago... How many seconds have they sustained fusion? Yeah, it's just a few more years away...

You get it. The first purpose of a computer is not to compute data, but to move it.
A CPU without I/O is like a brain in a jar.

The Parrot Killer

17-09-2021 20:52
(21559)
James___ wrote:
Think of the wind blowing past a pole. The wind changing direction is a reaction.

No, it's just turbulence around said pole or post. The wind does not change direction.
James___ wrote:
If the wind changes the temperature of the pole

Wind is not temperature.
James___ wrote:
then they are interacting by transferring heat.

Heat is never transferred. It is not contained in anything.
James___ wrote:
A change in kinetic energy encourages entropy.

Entropy always exists, even in the most organized of systems. You can't 'encourage' entropy. It is always there.
James___ wrote:

Meh. Means nothing.

The Parrot Killer

17-09-2021 20:54
(21559)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

is pulling muchschytt out of hizzasse

Seems to be what you're doing when you say

And yet quantum computers are based on qubits. In the article, the "time crystals" are the qubits. Qubit does not refer to a particular particle but the function that particle serves.

I think this link http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qmech/Quantum/node40.html explains that the qubit is "A" and when the
"general wave function x) acts on "A" becomes a "different shape" which in this case is a different wavelength. An example is when the microwave in their quantum computer flips a qubit, it's shape (frequency) will change.
If as in the special case the "general wave function x" becomes multiple waves then it would be like a prism creating different colors of light. And as we know, light like a microwave is composed of photons.

The 2nd set of equations discusses a particle which could be an electron in a computer. How does it change relative to "A"? With how memory is stored, "A" would refer to how the data reads as far as 1s and 0s goes.

With the attached image, the qubits have 2 opposing electrical fields. This could transform the microwave into 2 different values. If so, then the microwave goes from an eigen state to eigen values. state is singular where as values is plural.
You'll need to click on the image so it will open in another window.

There are no quantum computers.

The Parrot Killer

17-09-2021 21:03
(21559)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

If the prism is a qubit

It isn't.
James___ wrote:
then the light before it enters it is an "Eiger state" and the light that has passed through it are "Eiger values".

Making up words is a fallacy, dude.
James___ wrote:
And if the prism is super cooled, then it's possible that it will have suffered no entropy.

Entropy is not something that suffers. Entropy simply exists.
James___ wrote:
And if the prism has 2 opposing electromagnetic fields that reverse their polarity then the work done is why light changes when passing through a prism.

What work? There is no such thing as reversing the polarity of electromagnetic energy.
James___ wrote:
The light would suffer entropy.

Entropy is not something that suffers. Entropy simply exists.
James___ wrote:
In the case of the prism, it warms.

So?
James___ wrote:
In a super cooled field, the light heat

Light is not heat.
James___ wrote:
would be removed by what's cooling the field, why it's cold in the first place.

Don't need supercooling for that!
James___ wrote:
p.s., as for changing it's "shape", the parabola that is its sine wave would change shape.

Parabolas are not sine waves. Sine waves do not change shape.
James___ wrote:
This would show a change in its frequency/wavelength.

Parabolas have no frequency or wavelength.
James___ wrote:
With the article, they didn't say if the initial Eiger state changed its shape (wavelength) or if it became Eiger values.

Buzzword fallacies.

The Parrot Killer

18-09-2021 01:23
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:

James___ wrote:

If the prism is a qubit

It isn't.

The prism has a crystalline structure just as the "time crystals" have. This might be why they considered a crystalline structure. And in super cold conditions, a crystalline structure might be more stable just as water is below 0º C. or 32º F.

p.s., Spongy, see what you've started?

Edited on 18-09-2021 01:30
18-09-2021 15:17
(5195)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

James___ wrote:

If the prism is a qubit

It isn't.

The prism has a crystalline structure just as the "time crystals" have. This might be why they considered a crystalline structure. And in super cold conditions, a crystalline structure might be more stable just as water is below 0º C. or 32º F.

Far as I know. a prism, is still a prism, regardless of temperature. Works the same down here in Florida, as it does in the frozen wasteland of Norway. It's different only in the frozen wasteland of the corn whiskey soaked mind...
18-09-2021 17:46
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

James___ wrote:

If the prism is a qubit

It isn't.

Far as I know. a prism, is still a prism, regardless of temperature. Works the same down here in Florida, as it does in the frozen wasteland of Norway. It's different only in the frozen wasteland of the corn whiskey soaked mind...

It's people like you who make me glad that my American mother was smart enough to marry a Norwegian. Knowing the difference, am glad that I am aware that there are other ways of doing things.
I think what you meant to say is that a prism at -450º F. or -267.77º C. or
5.37º kelvin can serve the same function when we are talking about where it shows that wave energy can be shaped into a different frequency.
This is what allows for data to be stored and retrieved. Unless someone is going to get a PhD and actually work on data storage and retrieval, really no need to get any deeper into this than just a general discussion. And it seems you have issues with understanding just the basic concepts involved. Not my problem.
And what the formula shows is that an initial wavelength (microwaves were used for the quantum computer being discussed) changes based on what changes its wavelength. Then you have something that can be translated into a computer language. Hopefully that's basic enough for you to understand Harvey. I guess this is where the last couple of years I've spent getting better at math shows.
With Eigenstates and Eigenvalues, in German eigen means characteristic. And even a radio wave could be called an Eigenstate.
Attached image:

Edited on 18-09-2021 18:33
18-09-2021 21:26
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
The attached image would be an example of Eigenvalues if they are caused by a wave function being changed by a crystal, etc. because they wouldn't be in phase with each other and they might have different wavelengths.
An example of Eigenstates would be a radio or TV broadcast signal. That's because it would have many waves but all of the waves would have the same wavelength and be in phase. This is why 2 people in different locations can receive the same broadcast signal.
Attached image:

18-09-2021 21:44
(21559)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

James___ wrote:

If the prism is a qubit

It isn't.

The prism has a crystalline structure

A prism is not a crystal.
James___ wrote:
just as the "time crystals" have.

A 'time crystal' is theoretical.
James___ wrote:
And in super cold conditions, a crystalline structure might be more stable just as water is below 0º C. or 32º F.

It is no more or less stable than water.

The Parrot Killer

18-09-2021 21:50
(21559)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

James___ wrote:

If the prism is a qubit

It isn't.

It's people like you who make me glad that my American mother was smart enough to marry a Norwegian. Knowing the difference, am glad that I am aware that there are other ways of doing things.

Such as denying science and math?
James___ wrote:
I think what you meant to say is that a prism at -450º F. or -267.77º C. or
5.37º kelvin can serve the same function when we are talking about where it shows that wave energy can be shaped into a different frequency.

A prism is not a crystal.
James___ wrote:
This is what allows for data to be stored and retrieved.

A prism is not a storage device. Neither is a 'time crystal', since they don't really exist.
James___ wrote:
Unless someone is going to get a PhD and actually work on data storage and retrieval, really no need to get any deeper into this than just a general discussion.

Unless you want to recognize science AND mathematics, you will get nowhere fast.
James___ wrote:
And it seems you have issues with understanding just the basic concepts involved.

Inversion fallacy. You are describing yourself.
James___ wrote:
Not my problem.

It IS your problem.
James___ wrote:
And what the formula shows is that an initial wavelength (microwaves were used for the quantum computer being discussed) changes based on what changes its wavelength. Then you have something that can be translated into a computer language.

A computer language is not a frequency nor a wavelength.
James___ wrote:
Hopefully that's basic enough for you to understand Harvey. I guess this is where the last couple of years I've spent getting better at math shows.

You deny math, science, and computer technology.
James___ wrote:
With Eigenstates and Eigenvalues, in German eigen means characteristic. And even a radio wave could be called an Eigenstate.

Light is not a state. Buzzword fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

18-09-2021 21:51
(21559)
James___ wrote:
The attached image would be an example of Eigenvalues if they are caused by a wave function being changed by a crystal, etc. because they wouldn't be in phase with each other and they might have different wavelengths.

Frequency is not phase.
James___ wrote:
An example of Eigenstates would be a radio or TV broadcast signal. That's because it would have many waves but all of the waves would have the same wavelength and be in phase. This is why 2 people in different locations can receive the same broadcast signal.

No. It is because light can radiate from a point source.

The Parrot Killer

18-09-2021 23:39
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

Frequency is not phase.
James___ wrote:

Frequency is not phase.

Never said it was. With the A.C. generator, it runs 90º out of phase while polarity is switched every 90º. This then can allow for in the US 60hz a.c. Same frequency but out of phase. This isn't the same as an Eigenvalue but would be an Eigenstate.

A laser doesn't radiate light. It has a focused beam. With radio transmitters, 2 round poles are used which alternate polarity. Because the poles are round, they transmit/broadcast 360º.
19-09-2021 04:14
(14378)
James___ wrote: A laser doesn't radiate light.

LASER: Light Amplification through Stimulated Emission of Radiation

19-09-2021 05:07
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote: A laser doesn't radiate light.

LASER: Light Amplification through Stimulated Emission of Radiation

So? It's a focused beam. It follows the same vector and does not become
there are certain special wavefunctions which are such that when A acts on them the result is just a multiple of the original wavefunction.

That's what allows for anything from radio stations to cell towers to transmit a signal. And with something like a signal that changes as is used with cell phones, when the signal is transmitted, it's all the same frequency. It's what's being transmitted at a given point in time.
With what the image shows is 2 distinct sine waves. If 2 such waves emanate from the same crystal then they are Eigenvalues. With an actual wave function, changing the amplitude of the wave would change its wavelength.
Attached image:

Edited on 19-09-2021 05:21
Page 1 of 3123>

Join the debate Time Crystal:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Every time I say that this board is dead, someone says something to prove me wrong, but901-01-2024 05:08
Physicists 'entangle' individual molecules for the first time, bringing about a new platform for 1721-12-2023 13:02
Differences between the past and the present time2012-11-2023 23:07
Time to Ban Swan?4507-11-2023 13:57
Quantum entanglement visualized for the first time ever1407-10-2023 19:05
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact