Remember me
▼ Content

THREAD VERSUS THREAD! A REAL climate debate.

Page 2 of 4<1234>
24-03-2022 22:02
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:
That did not the lead from being toxic.

Try English. It works better.
sealover wrote:
I am not aware of ANY level of lead exposure that is "safe".

See the material safety data sheet for lead, which lists safe exposures. You would actually know that if you were a chemist.

In general:
Don't eat it.
Wash your hands off when you use it.
Use a fume hood for lead vapors.
Handling chunks of lead is completely safe. Just wash your hands off before eating.
If you handle lead all day, use gloves.

The stuff is not plutonium.

Must be really slow poison. My father use to cast bullets, long as i could remember. I got molds for lead soldiers and fishing weights for my 11th birthday. Still cast stuff occasionally. Made a few molds. Have a viral video on YouTube, when I film my first pour of a mold I made with 100% silicone caulk ($4.00 a tube Walmart). Should put up the link. The comments... It's Florida, hot, humid, and sweaty. I was barefoot, and a welding glove (minimal safety equipment). Can't believe the fear people have. The greatest risk, would be water (sweat) in the mold, explosive. Apparently PETG holds up pretty well, and my 3D printer will do it, if I swap to an all metal hotend. Have try it yet. Probably go with silicone molds from prints.

Anyway, I'm in great health, have lead all through my house, outdoors (address numbers, monogram, few other decoratives). Lead needs to be ingested... Lots of people walking around with lead bullets still in them.
RE: Little town called "Leadville, Colorado". Guess what?24-03-2022 22:32
sealover
★★★★☆
(1238)
Little town called "Leadville, Colorado". Guess what?

Ahhh! This is a beautiful moment for this biogeochemist.

The Big Nickel story was one I read papers about, but wasn't close to the investigators.

Let me tell you about a little town called "Leadville, Colorado".

It is a REAL place!

Guess what?

The name of the town isn't just some kind of fluke coincidence.

So, you want to ask me about lead biogeochemistry?

THANK YOU FOR THAT QUESTION!

It will take more than a few posts to cover it, but I promise to answer later.

Seriously, I PROMISE to answer your question about lead biogeochemistry.

So far I've just been talking about arsenic, methyl mercury, and hexavalent chromium.

BRING ON THE LEAD!

Lead biogeochemistry coming up.

That's not one I want to shoot from the hip on, but it's a GOOD question.

Because there is a WHOLE LOT OF LEAD out there.

And it is BRAIN DAMAGING POISON.

And children used to eat it in paint chips.

And children used to breathe tetra ethyl lead in auto exhaust.

And tetra ethyl lead, like methyl mercury, is WAY more toxic than its inorganic cousin, inorganic lead.

Oh, yeah.

I'll be happy to give some time to lead biogeochemistry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

HarveyH55 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

See the material safety data sheet for lead, which lists safe exposures. You would actually know that if you were a chemist.

In general:
Don't eat it.
Handling chunks of lead is completely safe. Just wash your hands off before eating.

Must be really slow poison. My father use to cast bullets, long as i could remember. I got molds for lead soldiers and fishing weights for my 11th birthday. Still cast stuff occasionally. Made a few molds. Have a viral video on YouTube, when I film my first pour of a mold I made with 100% silicone caulk ($4.00 a tube Walmart). Should put up the link. The comments... It's Florida, hot, humid, and sweaty. I was barefoot, and a welding glove (minimal safety equipment). Can't believe the fear people have. The greatest risk, would be water (sweat) in the mold, explosive. Apparently PETG holds up pretty well, and my 3D printer will do it, if I swap to an all metal hotend. Have try it yet. Probably go with silicone molds from prints.

Anyway, I'm in great health, have lead all through my house, outdoors (address numbers, monogram, few other decoratives). Lead needs to be ingested... Lots of people walking around with lead bullets still in them.
RE: My Mama told me be a scientific story teller. Welcome to Leadville!24-03-2022 23:00
sealover
★★★★☆
(1238)
My Mama told me be a scientific story teller. Welcome to Leadville!

It's true.

And I'm trying to make her proud.

The Leadville, Colorado story was not one I had my hands on.

But I had my ears all over it, up close, as the investigation provided the story.

This dyslexic old scientist can pull off the first draft, shoot from the hip answer for the stories that are my own.

But I do know the Leadville story well enough to tell it.

And lead biogeochemistry is important to understand.

Sounds like another job for Doctor Dirt!

I hope my mama would be proud. Seriously!
-----------------------------------------------

HarveyH55 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

In general:
Don't eat it.

RE: Lead Environmental Toxicology: Pre-unleaded Gasoline. Pre-lead-free Paint.24-03-2022 23:54
sealover
★★★★☆
(1238)
Lead Environmental Toxicology: Pre-unleaded Gasoline. Pre-lead-free paint.

Can you believe that the ancient Romans DELIBERATELY added the poisonous heavy metal lead to their wine?

Sounds, crazy right?

But the lead added a sweet flavor to the wine that some Romans seemed to prefer.

They would store the wine in a lead container to allow lead to leach into it.

The tannins in the wine formed organometallic complexes with the lead to allow high concentrations to dissolve in bioavailable form.

It is astounding how long it took for anyone to make the connection between the brain damage and the lead.

Well, there was a time before "unleaded" gasoline.

Gasoline used to be "leaded", with tetra ethyl lead.

This allowed the fuel to burn more evenly. No knocks. Just a little poison.

Like any other potentially toxic heavy metal, lead can be in multiple different chemical forms, oxidation states, etc.

Like any other potentially toxic heavy metal, lead can be in inorganic form or in organic form.

The brain damage to Roman wine drinkers was caused by ORGANICALLY COMPLEXED lead. This is when an inorganic lead ion is complexed by ligands of organic anions.

The organic anions of the tannins in the wine dissolved solid lead off the wall of the lead flask. Inorganic lead ions in a chelation complex with organic anions.

This facilitated human uptake of large amounts of total lead.

But the lead itself, as inorganic lead ions, was in its most benign form.

It had to build up for years before they got too sick.

Like when people drank inorganic arsenic in delta groundwater.

Like when gold miners and mercury miners were inhaling inorganic mercury vapor.

Organic arsenic in synthetic herbicides and pesticides, is in its deadliest form.

A single exposure to "agent blue" was enough to cause acute toxicity and death.

Organic mercury in synthetic fungicides, is in its deadliest form.

A single meal of rice that was laced with organic mercury fungicide intended as a preservative for seed rice to be planted, was enough to cause acute toxicity and death.

Tetra ethyl lead is lead at its worst.

Usually, it burned up to inorganic lead in in the exhaust.

But not everybody has such a good carbuerator.

Plenty of tetra ethyl lead got spewed into the air by clunkers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

sealover wrote:
My Mama told me be a scientific story teller. Welcome to Leadville!

It's true.

And I'm trying to make her proud.

The Leadville, Colorado story was not one I had my hands on.

But I had my ears all over it, up close, as the investigation provided the story.

This dyslexic old scientist can pull off the first draft, shoot from the hip answer for the stories that are my own.

But I do know the Leadville story well enough to tell it.

And lead biogeochemistry is important to understand.

Sounds like another job for Doctor Dirt!

I hope my mama would be proud. Seriously!
-----------------------------------------------

HarveyH55 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

In general:
Don't eat it.

25-03-2022 01:03
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

In general:
Don't eat it.

Must be really slow poison.

It really isn't, obviously. He's typing on a computer that contains lead, walking around cars with lead in them, walking on lead in the soil, walks by people carrying lead, etc.
HarveyH55 wrote:
My father use to cast bullets, long as i could remember.

Many people still do. I can be a fun hobby.
HarveyH55 wrote:
I got molds for lead soldiers and fishing weights for my 11th birthday. Still cast stuff occasionally. Made a few molds. Have a viral video on YouTube, when I film my first pour of a mold I made with 100% silicone caulk ($4.00 a tube Walmart). Should put up the link. The comments... It's Florida, hot, humid, and sweaty. I was barefoot, and a welding glove (minimal safety equipment).

Sounds like fun.
I use lead in soldering. Have for decades. I've driven cars and still fly airplanes that use lead components and use lead in their fuel as the burn moderator. I handle lead-acid batteries fairly regularly. Shoot guns regularly with lead picrate percussion caps and lead bullets. No sign of lead poisoning yet!
HarveyH55 wrote:
Can't believe the fear people have.

True. They live in fear because of ignorance and illiteracy. Just wash the stuff off with any decent soap and water.
HarveyH55 wrote:
The greatest risk, would be water (sweat) in the mold, explosive.

Always a danger with anything hot like that. Easy to control, too. It's also why you should watch it over concrete, which can trap water in holes, explosively cracking and spalling the concrete, should molten metal fall on it. Lead has a low enough melting point it's not too big a problem even with that, though.
HarveyH55 wrote:
Apparently PETG holds up pretty well, and my 3D printer will do it, if I swap to an all metal hotend. Have try it yet. Probably go with silicone molds from prints.

PETG has a melting point of 500 deg F, and lead has a melting point of 621 deg F. If there is substantial PETG material, thermal energy will be soaked away from the molten lead without damaging your mold too severely. Since the lead itself also cools pretty quickly, that helps.
HarveyH55 wrote:

Indeed there are. They are still alive and can kick the shit out of morons that fear lead if they want too.

Yup. Lead is found on house numbers, drawer handles, some plumbing, electronic devices, some paints, in batteries, in some fuels (especially aircraft fuel), fishing gear, ammunition, exercise equipment, diving equipment, sheathing for cables, and many other uses. A very versatile metal.

Don't see a whole lot of lead poisoning. That sort of thing is really only a risk where lead is in vapor form, or if you eat lead because you didn't wash the stuff off.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
25-03-2022 01:23
(21582)
sealover wrote:

No such thing. Buzzword fallacy.
sealover wrote:
The Big Nickel story was one I read papers about, but wasn't close to the investigators.

It is a REAL place!

Guess what?

sealover wrote:

Lead does not damage brains (unless you shoot 'em in the head with lead bullets!). Look up plumbism and how it's treated and it's symptoms. It only occurs with a lot of chronic exposure to lead. The body normally gets rid of lead through urine.
sealover wrote:

Yeah, so? Don't eat lead.
sealover wrote:

There never was tetra-ethyl lead in auto exhaust. TEL breaks down when it is burned. It becomes lead oxide. That's why it works as a burn moderator. It actually burns BEFORE the gasoline does, allowing use of the same grade of gasoline in higher compression engines without detonation.

Obviously, you have no idea about tetra-ethyl lead or it's chemistry.

sealover wrote:
And tetra ethyl lead, like methyl mercury, is WAY more toxic than its inorganic cousin, inorganic lead.

Not particularly. It's greatest hazard is it's flammability. Don't eat it or sniff it to get high.
sealover wrote:
Oh, yeah.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
RE: Dr. Parrot Boy, PhD, parachemistry25-03-2022 01:35
sealover
★★★★☆
(1238)
Dr. Parrot Boy, PhD, parachemistry.

"Lead does not damage brains (unless you shoot 'em in the brains with with lead bullets!)." - Dr. Ignoramus, PhD parachemistry

No argument? HELL YES, THIS IS AN ORIGINAL ARGUMENT!

"Lead does not damage brains.."

NO PROOF OF THAT ANYWHERE.

JUST A STUPID DISINFORMATION MARXIST PROPAGANDA BUZZWORD FALLACY

I win!

Where is my prize?

Lead consumption NEVER CAUSED BRAIN DAMAGE.

The lead paint chip thing was a big hoax.

They just wanted to take the lead out of gasoline in order to destroy capitalism by bankrupting the fossil fuel industry.

The Romans stopped lacing their wine with lead because it was making people more intelligent.

Lead in the wine was making certain Romans TOO intelligent.

Power and control required draconian measures.

Severe punishment for anyone caught drinking lead or facilitating the drinking of lead by others.

It was an excuse for a bloody purge of intellectuals is what it was.

You think we didn't knew that lead was harmless to brain development?

You've got a thing or two to learn about how we make such effective use of disinformation and propaganda.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

It is a REAL place!

Guess what?

sealover wrote:

Lead does not damage brains (unless you shoot 'em in the head with lead bullets!). Look up plumbism and how it's treated and it's symptoms. It only occurs with a lot of chronic exposure to lead. The body normally gets rid of lead through urine.
sealover wrote:

Yeah, so? Don't eat lead.
sealover wrote:

There never was tetra-ethyl lead in auto exhaust. TEL breaks down when it is burned. It becomes lead oxide. That's why it works as a burn moderator. It actually burns BEFORE the gasoline does, allowing use of the same grade of gasoline in higher compression engines without detonation.

Obviously, you have no idea about tetra-ethyl lead or it's chemistry.

sealover wrote:

Not particularly. It's greatest hazard is it's flammability. Don't eat it or sniff it to get high.
sealover wrote:
Oh, yeah.

25-03-2022 01:39
(21582)
sealover wrote:

There is still lead in gasoline and lead in paint.
sealover wrote:
Can you believe that the ancient Romans DELIBERATELY added the poisonous heavy metal lead to their wine?

Sounds, crazy right?

But the lead added a sweet flavor to the wine that some Romans seemed to prefer.

The tannins in the wine formed organometallic complexes with the lead to allow high concentrations to dissolve in bioavailable form.

It is astounding how long it took for anyone to make the connection between the brain damage and the lead.

There wasn't any.
sealover wrote:

Some of it still is.
sealover wrote:

No. Not what TEL does in fuel. It acts as a burn moderator, in other words, it reduces the flammability of gasoline under high pressure environments.
sealover wrote:

No one got sick from leaded fuel.
sealover wrote:

Nah. The stuff is fine. It's flammable though.
sealover wrote:

Nothing burned up in the exhaust in a normally running car. It was already burned.
sealover wrote:

Not a factor. Tetra-ethyl lead burns before gasoline does.
sealover wrote:

No. You are making stuff up again. TEL does not appear in the exhaust at all.

The Parrot Killer

25-03-2022 01:46
(21582)
sealover wrote:

"Lead does not damage brains (unless you shoot 'em in the brains with with lead bullets!)." - Dr. Ignoramus, PhD parachemistry

No such thing as 'parachemistry'. Buzzword fallacy. Insult fallacy.
sealover wrote:

I win!

Where is my prize?

It doesn't.
sealover wrote:

No. It slowed learning ability for those that got enough build up of lead (not all kids eating lead paint chips had a problem), but there was no brain damage. Once removed from exposure, normal brain function resumes once the body gets rid of the lead.
sealover wrote:
They just wanted to take the lead out of gasoline in order to destroy capitalism by bankrupting the fossil fuel industry.

Lead is still used in gasoline, dumbass. It was removed in automotive fuel because it damages the catalytic converter, which is only there because the government says it has to be there. It does very little in the way of a useful function.
sealover wrote:
The Romans stopped lacing their wine with lead because it was making people more intelligent.

No, because Rome fell.
sealover wrote:

Severe punishment for anyone caught drinking lead or facilitating the drinking of lead by others.

You've got a thing or two to learn about how we make such effective use of disinformation and propaganda.

Inversion fallacy. You are describing yourself again. You can't lay YOUR problems on other people.

The Parrot Killer

RE: Your Original Argument is a Falsifiable Hypothesis! Lead does not cause brain damage.25-03-2022 01:54
sealover
★★★★☆
(1238)
Your Original Argument is a Falsifiable Hypothesis! Lead does not cause brain damage.

HOORAY!

Now this has finally become a true debate!

You have submitted an original argument with a falsifiable hypothesis.

You have made the definitive assertion that lead does not cause brain damage.

That is an ORIGINAL ARGUMENT if I ever heard one.

Be aware that there is a high bar for unsupported contrarian assertions.

But now you have finally engaged in a TRUE DEBATE!

I had given up on you, but you finally came through.

Burden of proof is on me to demonstrate that I'm not the only one ever to imagine that there might be a link between lead and brain damage.

Talk about Ignoramus setting up his own straw man for his own position to be toppled with the greatest of ease.

Thanks for finally showing up to a debate!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:

There is still lead in gasoline and lead in paint.
sealover wrote:

Sounds, crazy right?

There wasn't any.
sealover wrote:

Some of it still is.
sealover wrote:

No. Not what TEL does in fuel. It acts as a burn moderator, in other words, it reduces the flammability of gasoline under high pressure environments.
sealover wrote:

No one got sick from leaded fuel.
sealover wrote:

Nah. The stuff is fine. It's flammable though.
sealover wrote:

Nothing burned up in the exhaust in a normally running car. It was already burned.
sealover wrote:

Not a factor. Tetra-ethyl lead burns before gasoline does.
sealover wrote:

No. You are making stuff up again. TEL does not appear in the exhaust at all.
RE: Most TEL oxidized to inorganic lead in most engines. Not all.25-03-2022 02:15
sealover
★★★★☆
(1238)
Most TEL oxidized to inorganic lead in most engines. Not all.

As explained before, most of organic lead, the TEL (tetra ethyl lead) in the gasoline fed to a well-tuned engine, gets oxidized to inorganic lead before emission into the air out the tail pipe.

It is easy enough to breath in that inorganic lead.

But it is going to require building more and more up in the system before it really hurts too severely.

Ever smell the exhaust from a car that REALLY needs a tune up?

The kind that couldn't pass smog testing to qualify for vehicle registration?

The kind where you can ACTUALLY SMELL THE GASOLINE IN THE EXHAUST.

Back in the day, that stank used to expose you to unburned TEL.

TEL. A far more toxic form of lead than the stuff that makes you sick from the pipes providing the drinking water.

You know me. Always just making shit up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

I win!

Where is my prize?

It doesn't.
sealover wrote:

No. It slowed learning ability for those that got enough build up of lead (not all kids eating lead paint chips had a problem), but there was no brain damage. Once removed from exposure, normal brain function resumes once the body gets rid of the lead.
sealover wrote:

Lead is still used in gasoline, dumbass. It was removed in automotive fuel because it damages the catalytic converter, which is only there because the government says it has to be there. It does very little in the way of a useful function.
sealover wrote:

No, because Rome fell.
sealover wrote:

Inversion fallacy. You are describing yourself again. You can't lay YOUR problems on other people.
25-03-2022 02:39
(21582)
sealover wrote:

All. It burns before the gasoline does.
sealover wrote:
As explained before, most of organic lead, the TEL (tetra ethyl lead) in the gasoline fed to a well-tuned engine, gets oxidized to inorganic lead before emission into the air out the tail pipe.

What makes you think the engine isn't well tuned?
sealover wrote:

No. It's heavier than air. It doesn't stay suspended.
sealover wrote:
But it is going to require building more and more up in the system before it really hurts too severely.

It doesn't. People used TEL in cars from the 1920's all the way into the 1970's. No one got lead poisoning from driving their car or working on their car.
sealover wrote:

Soot isn't TEL.
sealover wrote:

There was NO smog testing.
sealover wrote:

If gasoline gets into the exhaust, you will blow up the exhaust.
sealover wrote:

Nope. It all burned.
sealover wrote:
TEL. A far more toxic form of lead than the stuff that makes you sick from the pipes providing the drinking water.

The doesn't make you sick either. Such pipes are still in use today.
sealover wrote:

That you do.

The Parrot Killer

RE: Good! Finally Addressing the Audience! Because "sealover" ain't gonna be convinced.25-03-2022 03:30
sealover
★★★★☆
(1238)
Good! Finally Addressing the Audience! Because "sealover" ain't gonna be convinced.

Trying to convince me that my terms simply don't make sense, and that I should simply take your word over mine as the definitive final true science answer.

Yeah, you need to try to persuade someone who is still persuadable.

"sealover" ain't gonna be convinced by your gibber babble buzz word games.

"sealover" knows what the words are SUPPOSED to mean.

And your original argument, the falsifiable hypothesis that lead definitively DOES NOT CAUSE BRAIN DAMAGE. Period.

I imagine you are looking to tearing my rebuttals to shreds.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

It doesn't. People used TEL in cars from the 1920's all the way into the 1970's. No one got lead poisoning from driving their car or working on their car.
sealover wrote:

Soot isn't TEL.
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

Nope. It all burned.
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

That you do.
RE: TEL lead is easily suspended in air, like zero valent mercury.25-03-2022 03:53
sealover
★★★★☆
(1238)
TEL lead is easily suspended in air. Like zero valent mercury.

Zero valent mercury has minimal electric field interactions with other molecules in the atmosphere as they collide back and forth against each other at rates of collision that boggle the mind.

Zero valent mercury is a heavy metal.

A VERY heavy metal.

Yet it stays suspended in the atmosphere for the longest time.

It even accumulates to high concentration in the atmosphere if a sealed chamber has liquid mercury left to slowly evaporate.

Like the poor janitors who were the first to unlock the doors to the chemistry teaching labs after summer break left them sealed up and hot.

Chem students can be pretty sloppy in the teaching labs.

A lot of the experiments involve working with liquid mercury.

Plenty of liquid mercury has seeped down under the lab mats into low spaces.

By summers end, the air in the room had reached VERY HIGH concentrations of zero valent mercury suspended in the air.

TEL, tetra ethyl lead has some zero valent like properties.

TEL has minimal electric field interaction with other molecules in the air.

Like mercury vapor, TEL takes lead high into the atmosphere and keeps it suspended for the longest time.

Because of its properties that render TEL with so few electric field effect interactions make TEL a perfect standard for nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR). You know exactly which bond you're looking at because they're all exactly the same.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
sealover wrote:
Good! Finally Addressing the Audience! Because "sealover" ain't gonna be convinced.

Trying to convince me that my terms simply don't make sense, and that I should simply take your word over mine as the definitive final true science answer.

And your original argument, the falsifiable hypothesis that lead definitively DOES NOT CAUSE BRAIN DAMAGE. Period.

Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

Soot isn't TEL.
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

Nope. It all burned.
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

That you do.
RE: Welcome to Leadville, Colorado - True Story of an Old West Mining Town.25-03-2022 04:14
sealover
★★★★☆
(1238)
Welcome to Leadville, Colorado - True Story of an Old West Mining Town.

Out there in the real world is a place called "Leadville, Colorado".

It was an Old West era mining town.

Guess what kind of metal they were mining in a town called Leadville!

Anyway, the biogeochemistry of old mine waste is kind of a "thing" for "sealover".

This most recent turn in the discussion has also revealed the need for me to explicitly elucidate the biogeochemistry of lead as a TOXIC HEAVY METAL.

Haven't gotten to lead-based paint chips yet.

And DON'T GET ME STARTED ON LEAD-BASED BATTERIES.

Yet. But they make plenty of kids sick too.

WELCOME TO LEADVILLE, COLORADO - TRUE STORY OF AN OLD WEST MINING TOWN.

Coming soon to a science debate near you.

--------------------------------------------------------------

sealover wrote:
TEL lead is easily suspended in air. Like zero valent mercury.

Zero valent mercury has minimal electric field interactions with other molecules in the atmosphere as they collide back and forth against each other at rates of collision that boggle the mind.

Zero valent mercury is a heavy metal.

A VERY heavy metal.

Yet it stays suspended in the atmosphere for the longest time.

It even accumulates to high concentration in the atmosphere if a sealed chamber has liquid mercury left to slowly evaporate.

Like the poor janitors who were the first to unlock the doors to the chemistry teaching labs after summer break left them sealed up and hot.

Chem students can be pretty sloppy in the teaching labs.

A lot of the experiments involve working with liquid mercury.

Plenty of liquid mercury has seeped down under the lab mats into low spaces.

By summers end, the air in the room had reached VERY HIGH concentrations of zero valent mercury suspended in the air.

TEL, tetra ethyl lead has some zero valent like properties.

TEL has minimal electric field interaction with other molecules in the air.

Like mercury vapor, TEL takes lead high into the atmosphere and keeps it suspended for the longest time.

Because of its properties that render TEL with so few electric field effect interactions make TEL a perfect standard for nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR). You know exactly which bond you're looking at because they're all exactly the same.

sealover wrote:

Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

Soot isn't TEL.
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

Nope. It all burned.
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

That you do.
RE: Is RADON really a GAS? It is VERY HEAVY. Kind of radioactive and toxic.25-03-2022 05:29
sealover
★★★★☆
(1238)
Is RADON really a GAS? It is VERY HEAVY. Kind of radioactive and toxic.

Let's bring in another buzzword from this of forbidden vocabulary.

RADON.

The heaviest of the Noble gases.

Completely inert stuff. Almost. It is a gamma emitter, which can be hazardous.

It is quite unreactive with anyone it bounces up against.

No electric field effects, no intermittent free radical forms, no polar effects, just a bouncy bouncy superball. A very HEAVY superball that floats up from underground into the basement and up into the house.

Gamma radiation is no joke.

If you hear any credible sounding stuff about your area being one of the rare places where RADON REALLY DOES SEEP UP INTO YOUR HOUSE FROM UNDERGROUND..

You probably don't live in one of those places. Few people do.

It's easy enough to look up if you live in a high risk place.

"DON'T LOOK UP!" won't protect you from gamma radiation.

This stuff is serious. Take it seriously.
------------------------------------------------------------

quote]Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

In general:
Don't eat it.

Must be really slow poison.

It really isn't, obviously. He's typing on a computer that contains lead, walking around cars with lead in them, walking on lead in the soil, walks by people carrying lead, etc.
HarveyH55 wrote:
My father use to cast bullets, long as i could remember.

Many people still do. I can be a fun hobby.
HarveyH55 wrote:
I got molds for lead soldiers and fishing weights for my 11th birthday. Still cast stuff occasionally. Made a few molds. Have a viral video on YouTube, when I film my first pour of a mold I made with 100% silicone caulk ($4.00 a tube Walmart). Should put up the link. The comments... It's Florida, hot, humid, and sweaty. I was barefoot, and a welding glove (minimal safety equipment).

Sounds like fun.
I use lead in soldering. Have for decades. I've driven cars and still fly airplanes that use lead components and use lead in their fuel as the burn moderator. I handle lead-acid batteries fairly regularly. Shoot guns regularly with lead picrate percussion caps and lead bullets. No sign of lead poisoning yet!
HarveyH55 wrote:
Can't believe the fear people have.

True. They live in fear because of ignorance and illiteracy. Just wash the stuff off with any decent soap and water.
HarveyH55 wrote:
The greatest risk, would be water (sweat) in the mold, explosive.

Always a danger with anything hot like that. Easy to control, too. It's also why you should watch it over concrete, which can trap water in holes, explosively cracking and spalling the concrete, should molten metal fall on it. Lead has a low enough melting point it's not too big a problem even with that, though.
HarveyH55 wrote:
Apparently PETG holds up pretty well, and my 3D printer will do it, if I swap to an all metal hotend. Have try it yet. Probably go with silicone molds from prints.

PETG has a melting point of 500 deg F, and lead has a melting point of 621 deg F. If there is substantial PETG material, thermal energy will be soaked away from the molten lead without damaging your mold too severely. Since the lead itself also cools pretty quickly, that helps.
HarveyH55 wrote:

Indeed there are. They are still alive and can kick the shit out of morons that fear lead if they want too.

Yup. Lead is found on house numbers, drawer handles, some plumbing, electronic devices, some paints, in batteries, in some fuels (especially aircraft fuel), fishing gear, ammunition, exercise equipment, diving equipment, sheathing for cables, and many other uses. A very versatile metal.

Don't see a whole lot of lead poisoning. That sort of thing is really only a risk where lead is in vapor form, or if you eat lead because you didn't wash the stuff off.[/quote]
25-03-2022 07:55
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
Wine guzzling Romans, also engaged in numerous acts of democrat-debauchery. Syphilis also rots the brain... Interesting how pseudo-sciences can narrow things down to a single cause, with out any controls. I don't recall anyone ever crouched down behind a car, huffing the exhaust. Too much of anything, can be potentially poisonous, even bottled water. Trace amounts of most everything, is generally a non-issue.

Where's that 'library' located again? I went to my profile page, saw the recent 10 threads/posts, but no options, other than to click the links, which simple took me to the thread/post. Which I could have done through the forum anyway. Doesn't exclude any posts (including yours). Figured if you had a troll-filter option, maybe it could be put to a more obvious use... That functionality does not exist. But it does serve as an example of how 'The Cult' finds things that don't actually exist, but attempt to find some way to create, and make it work anyway. CO2 is a trace gas. Even with mankind's contribution, it's still not really enough to have a huge impact on anything other than plant growth. Cult-delusions were able to build the myth of catastrophe though, and use it. Just like you built your 'library', for the 10 most recent posts in you profile page. I don't believe biogeochemistry is an actual field, but haven't bothered to google it. My guess is that your mommy paid your tuition, as long as you took classes. So you took every thing chemistry, so your mom thought you were still earning your degree, and you continued to party, and engage in campus debauchery, until you got to be as old as most of the staff, and not as welcome among the younger party animals. Of course, actual work, is no party, and applying what you learned, wasn't much fun either. Not to mention, didn't qualify you for many career options.
25-03-2022 17:13
(21582)
sealover wrote:
Welcome to Leadville, Colorado - True Story of an Old West Mining Town.
...deleted excess noise and severely damaged quoting...

Spamming. Trolling. Fear mongering. No argument presented.

The Parrot Killer

25-03-2022 17:26
(21582)
sealover wrote:

Radon is a gas at room temperature and pressure, and nontoxic. Your fear mongering doesn't change that.
sealover wrote:

RADON.

Radon is not a buzzword. It's an element. Mockery.
sealover wrote:

No electric field effects, no intermittent free radical forms, no polar effects, just a bouncy bouncy superball. A very HEAVY superball that floats up from underground into the basement and up into the house.

You are not describing gamma radiation. Radon is not a gamma emitter.
sealover wrote:
If you hear any credible sounding stuff about your area being one of the rare places where RADON REALLY DOES SEEP UP INTO YOUR HOUSE FROM UNDERGROUND..

So? You really have no idea about radiation either, do you?
sealover wrote:

It is not serious. It is not toxic. Indeed, some health clubs advertise they are sitting on a radon gas source (big hairy deal). Again, you have no knowledge of radiation sources, radon gas, or relative sources of radiation, or the effects of radiation on the body or safe exposure levels.

All you know is the fear mongering from Democrats and the Church of Green. You are doing nothing but echoing their scripture.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 25-03-2022 17:52
25-03-2022 17:32
(21582)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Wine guzzling Romans, also engaged in numerous acts of democrat-debauchery. Syphilis also rots the brain... Interesting how pseudo-sciences can narrow things down to a single cause, with out any controls. I don't recall anyone ever crouched down behind a car, huffing the exhaust. Too much of anything, can be potentially poisonous, even bottled water. Trace amounts of most everything, is generally a non-issue.

Where's that 'library' located again? I went to my profile page, saw the recent 10 threads/posts, but no options, other than to click the links, which simple took me to the thread/post. Which I could have done through the forum anyway. Doesn't exclude any posts (including yours). Figured if you had a troll-filter option, maybe it could be put to a more obvious use... That functionality does not exist. But it does serve as an example of how 'The Cult' finds things that don't actually exist, but attempt to find some way to create, and make it work anyway. CO2 is a trace gas. Even with mankind's contribution, it's still not really enough to have a huge impact on anything other than plant growth. Cult-delusions were able to build the myth of catastrophe though, and use it. Just like you built your 'library', for the 10 most recent posts in you profile page. I don't believe biogeochemistry is an actual field, but haven't bothered to google it. My guess is that your mommy paid your tuition, as long as you took classes. So you took every thing chemistry, so your mom thought you were still earning your degree, and you continued to party, and engage in campus debauchery, until you got to be as old as most of the staff, and not as welcome among the younger party animals. Of course, actual work, is no party, and applying what you learned, wasn't much fun either. Not to mention, didn't qualify you for many career options.

Your description of his life and education is possibly quite accurate, though he won't admit it.

So he makes up stories about working for 'important government agencies' and 'making radical discoveries'. He comes to places like this to puff himself up without saying anything.

He's a sad case...stuck in a world of Wikipedia and Google and making up buzzwords. He can't think for himself.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 25-03-2022 17:33
RE: Radon is not a buzzword.25-03-2022 17:43
sealover
★★★★☆
(1238)
Radon is not a buzzword.

My lack of knowledge about these things is why they had me running the Gamma Spec to measure these harmless things.

But this is where spreading your ignorance is actually DANGEROUS.

What if some reader heard they should get the air in their home tested because they DO live in one of those rare places where RADON IS REAL?

What if some reader were gullible enough to believe the reassurance that there is nothing to fear from radon?

The good news is that the number of people who believe you are in any way credible can be counted on one hand. They don't live where there is radon.

You won't put their lives at risk with your ignorance.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:

Radon is a gas at room temperature and pressure, and nontoxic. Your fear mongering doesn't change that.
sealover wrote:

RADON.

Radon is not a buzzword. It's an element. Mockery.
sealover wrote:

So? You really have no idea about radiation either, do you?
sealover wrote:

It is not serious. It is not toxic. Indeed, some health clubs advertise they are sitting on a radon gas source. Again, you have no knowledge of radiation sources, radon gas, or relative sources of radiation, or the effects of radiation on the body or safe exposure levels.

All you know is the fear mongering from Democrats and the Church of Green. You are doing nothing but echoing their scripture.
RE: Google "Lead poisoning during Roman Empire"25-03-2022 18:36
sealover
★★★★☆
(1238)
Google "Lead poisoning during Roman Empire"

You just might learn something.

Let's see how the "library" thing works.

Someone isn't really interested in reading any of the genius insights that pile up after every lesson I post.

They click "sealover" to find a list of lessons to choose from.

They click the subject title of the lesson.

They don't see the whole thread unless they decide to scroll up or down.

What they see first is the one post they wanted to see.

If there is any troll vitriol included, there will be a long gap at the bottom of the lesson to make it harder to see.

If they really want to check out the verbal skitters, they can scroll as much as they want to get a chance to smell them.

But they will never HAVE to smell it.

They can just see the post of mine that they actually WANTED to see.

That's how the "library" is a troll-free zone.
-------------------------------------------------------------

HarveyH55 wrote:

RE: A Falsifiable Contrarian Hypothesis - "Lead does not damage brains.."25-03-2022 19:02
sealover
★★★★☆
(1238)
A Falsifiable Contrarian Hypothesis. "Lead does not damage brains.."

The biogeochemistry of lead.

Just the bullets and buckshot ALONE. Especially the firing ranges where the gun freaks play with their assault rifles. So much lead now in the soil.

But don't worry. We have authoritative assurance that "Lead does not damage brains.."

Lead is so harmless that some highly ethical people pay a lot to send the old car batteries to parts of Africa where there are no rules against it.

Or maybe there ARE rules. Somewhere, buried in the books. It only costs a few bucks to have those toothless regulations ignored.

So what happens to all the lead in the old car batteries they dumped in Africa.

For purposes of debate, the assertion that "Lead does not damage brains.." is a falsifiable hypothesis.

It is a falsifiable CONTRARIAN hypothesis.

It flies in the face of what virtually ALL scientists thought they knew.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

If some biogeochemist comes along and says that you guys didn't get the nitrogen cycle right, they are going to expect extraordinary proof.

They thought they figured out all the most important things about the nitrogen cycle 150 years ago.

Now someone claims the nitrogen cycle is being short circuited in many ecosystems.

They claim that mycorrhizal fungi are transferring nitrogen in organic form directly to the plant, short circuiting the mineralization step.

That was a falsifiable contrarian hypothesis.

I have debated against real scientists who actually understand the words.

So, this falsifiable contrarian hypothesis that lead does not cause brain damage.

A truly EXTRAORDINARY and CONTRARIAN claim would surely have some airtight irrefutable EXTRAORDINARY proof.

Otherwise, it is pretty easy to see that the Emperor has no clothes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sealover wrote:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

I win!

Where is my prize?

It doesn't.
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

No, because Rome fell.
sealover wrote:

25-03-2022 19:55
(21582)
sealover wrote:
Radon is not a buzzword.

Never said it was. Pay attention.
sealover wrote:
My lack of knowledge about these things is why they had me running the Gamma Spec to measure these harmless things.

Radon is not a gamma emitter. There is no such thing as a 'Gamma Spec'. Buzzword fallacy.
sealover wrote:

Radon isn't dangerous.
sealover wrote:
What if some reader heard they should get the air in their home tested because they DO live in one of those rare places where RADON IS REAL?

I would tell them not to worry about it. Don't listen to fear mongers like you.
sealover wrote:
What if some reader were gullible enough to believe the reassurance that there is nothing to fear from radon?

There is nothing to fear from radon. Don't worry about it.
sealover wrote:
The good news is that the number of people who believe you are in any way credible can be counted on one hand.

You don't get to speak for everyone. You only get to speak for you. Omniscience fallacy.
sealover wrote:
They don't live where there is radon.

No one does. Radon is everywhere. It's part of the normal background radiation. In buildings, it can be a little higher level, but nothing even approaching lethality or even a health concern.
sealover wrote:

The ignorance is yours. You seem completely illiterate about radiation. You are just spewing Democrat crap about it without thinking.

The Parrot Killer

25-03-2022 19:57
(21582)
...deleted severe quoting damage...
sealover wrote:

...deleted excess noise...

Spamming. Trolling. No argument presented.

The Parrot Killer

RE: Get the respect that you deserve on ANOTHER THREAD!25-03-2022 20:11
sealover
★★★★☆
(1238)
Get the respect that you deserve on ANOTHER THREAD!

I promise I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER TROLL YOU ON ANOTHER THREAD.

If you insist on continuing to post here, well...

You will continue to be given ALL THE RESPECT THAT YOU DESERVE.

Did you eat a lot of paint chips when you were a kid?

That would explain a few things. You are proof lead does NOT damage brains.

Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:

25-03-2022 20:22
(21582)
sealover wrote:
A Falsifiable Contrarian Hypothesis. "Lead does not damage brains.."

The biogeochemistry of lead.

There is no such thing. Buzzword fallacy.
sealover wrote:
Just the bullets and buckshot ALONE.

What about 'em? People cast bullets all day long, and never have a problem. They shoot guns while hunting and at shooting ranges (and sometimes at people) and they don't have lead poisoning.
sealover wrote:
Especially the firing ranges where the gun freaks play with their assault rifles.

There is no such thing as an 'assault rifle'. Obviously you are completely illiterate about guns too.
sealover wrote:
So much lead now in the soil.

Lead naturally occurs in the soil, dumbass.
sealover wrote:
But don't worry. We have authoritative assurance that "Lead does not damage brains.."

It doesn't.
sealover wrote:
Lead is so harmless that some highly ethical people pay a lot to send the old car batteries to parts of Africa where there are no rules against it.

Old car batteries aren't send to Africa. They are recycled. They are easy to recycle and it's cheaper.
sealover wrote:
Or maybe there ARE rules. Somewhere, buried in the books. It only costs a few bucks to have those toothless regulations ignored.

Nope. No rules, other than economic ones. Apparently you are illiterate about economics as well.
sealover wrote:
So what happens to all the lead in the old car batteries they dumped in Africa.

They aren't dumped in Africa. They are recycled. It would cost too much to ship old car batteries to Africa.
sealover wrote:
For purposes of debate, the assertion that "Lead does not damage brains.." is a falsifiable hypothesis.

There is no such thing as a 'falsifiable hypothesis'. Buzzword fallacy.
sealover wrote:
It is a falsifiable CONTRARIAN hypothesis.

There is no such thing as a 'falsifiable contrarian hypothesis'. Buzzword fallacy.
sealover wrote:
It flies in the face of what virtually ALL scientists thought they knew.

Omniscience fallacy. You don't get to speak for all scientists. Science does not use consensus. Science is not scientists or any group of scientists. It has not voting bloc, politics, or religion.
sealover wrote:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

I am not making extraordinary claims. There are no proofs in science. It is not possible to prove a theory True.
sealover wrote:
If some biogeochemist comes along and says that you guys didn't get the nitrogen cycle right, they are going to expect extraordinary proof.

No such thing as a biogeochemist. Buzzword fallacy. No proof is 'extraordinary'. A proof simply is. Buzzword fallacies.
sealover wrote:
They thought they figured out all the most important things about the nitrogen cycle 150 years ago.

Lead isn't nitrogen.
sealover wrote:
Now someone claims the nitrogen cycle is being short circuited in many ecosystems.

Lead isn't nitrogen.
sealover wrote:
They claim that mycorrhizal fungi are transferring nitrogen in organic form directly to the plant, short circuiting the mineralization step.

Batteries aren't made from plants (although you can make a battery by using a lemon or an orange to provide the electrolyte...lousy battery though).
sealover wrote:
That was a falsifiable contrarian hypothesis.

sealover wrote:
I have debated against real scientists who actually understand the words.

True Scotsman fallacy. Fiction.
sealover wrote:
So, this falsifiable contrarian hypothesis that lead does not cause brain damage.

No such thing. Lead does not cause brain damage.
sealover wrote:
A truly EXTRAORDINARY and CONTRARIAN claim would surely have some airtight irrefutable EXTRAORDINARY proof.

Removal from lead exposure sees normal activity return to the brain. No damage.
sealover wrote:
Otherwise, it is pretty easy to see that the Emperor has no clothes.

Cliche fallacy. Circular argument fallacy (fundamentalism).

The Parrot Killer

25-03-2022 20:23
(21582)
sealover wrote:
Get the respect that you deserve on ANOTHER THREAD!

I promise I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER TROLL YOU ON ANOTHER THREAD.

If you insist on continuing to post here, well...

You will continue to be given ALL THE RESPECT THAT YOU DESERVE.

Did you eat a lot of paint chips when you were a kid?

That would explain a few things. You are proof lead does NOT damage brains.

Argument of the Stick fallacy. Trolling. Spamming. No argument presented.

The Parrot Killer

RE: What doe Parrot Boy know about the nitrogen cycle?25-03-2022 20:34
sealover
★★★★☆
(1238)
What does Parrot Boy know about the nitrogen cycle?

The guy who loves the sea and actually cares about climate has asserted that the mineralization step in the nitrogen can be short circuited by mycorrhizal fungi.

This contrarian assertion flies in the face of 150 years of established science.

This falsifiable hypothesis should be easy to falsify.

For someone who understands everything about science from alkalinity-pH relationships to lead poisoning and the nature of radioactivity.

Someone THAT smart must surely know all about something as simple as the nitrogen cycle.

This should be a slam dunk to prove that the falsifiable hypothesis about the nitrogen cycle is just plain WRONG!

Furthermore, it is directly relevant to climate change because nitrate reduction is the overwhelming major source of naturally occurring nitrous oxide emissions.

Unlike the reality of lead poisoning or the fact that radon is a gamma emitter, this aspect of the nitrogen has MAJOR IMPLICATIONS for climate change.

Let's debate that one instead, since you won't try to back up your assertions about pH-alkalinity mathematical relations, lignin being carbohydrate, nitrate being impossible to reduce, etc., etc.

Do you even know what the nitrogen cycle is and why the quantity of nitrous oxide emitted during nitrate reduction would matter to someone who cares about climate change?

It's fine if you don't know any of these things.

I won't try to force you to learn anything you can't handle.

But do you think you are "teaching" anything when you troll my thread.

Today you, once again, enlightened the students by telling them:

NO, it's NOT!

No SCIENCE.

Some kind of "fallacy" or another.

Case closed.

You win again.

Aren't you getting sick of winning?

Why did about 8 million more voters choose Biden than Trump?

Because they had gotten sick of winning.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:
Radon is not a buzzword.

sealover wrote:

Radon is not a gamma emitter. There is no such thing as a 'Gamma Spec'. Buzzword fallacy.
sealover wrote:

Radon isn't dangerous.
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:
The good news is that the number of people who believe you are in any way credible can be counted on one hand.

You don't get to speak for everyone. You only get to speak for you. Omniscience fallacy.
sealover wrote:

No one does. Radon is everywhere. It's part of the normal background radiation. In buildings, it can be a little higher level, but nothing even approaching lethality or even a health concern.
sealover wrote:

The ignorance is yours. You seem completely illiterate about radiation. You are just spewing Democrat crap about it without thinking.
25-03-2022 21:09
(21582)
sealover wrote:
What does Parrot Boy know about the nitrogen cycle?

The guy who loves the sea and actually cares about climate has asserted that the mineralization step in the nitrogen can be short circuited by mycorrhizal fungi.

Define 'mineralization step' in relation the the nitrogen cycle. Fungi are not necessary to fixate nitrogen.
sealover wrote:
This contrarian assertion flies in the face of 150 years of established science.

There is no such thing as a 'contrarian assertion'. There is only an assertion. An assertion is not a complete argument. Science is not 'established'. It is not data. It is not observation. Science is a set of falsifiable theories. It is nothing more than that.
sealover wrote:
This falsifiable hypothesis should be easy to falsify.

There is no such thing as a falsifiable hypothesis. Obviously you know know what a hypothesis is or what a theory is, even though I've already defined them.
sealover wrote:
For someone who understands everything about science from alkalinity-pH relationships to lead poisoning and the nature of radioactivity.

Someone THAT smart must surely know all about something as simple as the nitrogen cycle.

I do.
sealover wrote:
This should be a slam dunk to prove that the falsifiable hypothesis about the nitrogen cycle is just plain WRONG!

There is no such thing as a 'falsifiable hypothesis'. I am not saying the nitrogen cycle is wrong. You are hallucinating.
sealover wrote:
Furthermore, it is directly relevant to climate change because nitrate reduction is the overwhelming major source of naturally occurring nitrous oxide emissions.

You can't reduce a nitrate, dude. It's already reduced. No gas or vapor has the capability to warm the Earth. Define 'climate change'.
sealover wrote:
Unlike the reality

Discarded, since you don't know what it means and you are unable to define it.
sealover wrote:
of lead poisoning or the fact that radon is a gamma emitter, this aspect of the nitrogen has MAJOR IMPLICATIONS for climate change.

Radon is not a gamma emitter. Lead is not plutonium or particularly toxic. Define 'climate change'.
sealover wrote:
Let's debate that one instead, since you won't try to back up your assertions about pH-alkalinity mathematical relations, lignin being carbohydrate, nitrate being impossible to reduce, etc., etc.

I don't need to back anything up. It is what it is.
sealover wrote:
Do you even know what the nitrogen cycle is and why the quantity of nitrous oxide emitted during nitrate reduction would matter to someone who cares about climate change?

You cannot reduce a nitrate. It's already reduced. Define 'climate change'. No gas or vapor has the capability to warm the Earth.
sealover wrote:
It's fine if you don't know any of these things.

I won't try to force you to learn anything you can't handle.

But do you think you are "teaching" anything when you troll my thread.

Today you, once again, enlightened the students by telling them:

NO, it's NOT!

No SCIENCE.

Some kind of "fallacy" or another.

Case closed.

You win again.

Aren't you getting sick of winning?

Spamming. Trolling.
sealover wrote:
Why did about 8 million more voters choose Biden than Trump?

There are not eight million members of the electoral college. There was no election in 2020. The election faulted due to election fraud by Democrats.

The Parrot Killer

RE: "Radon is not a gamma emitter." - A falsifiable hypothesis.25-03-2022 21:15
sealover
★★★★☆
(1238)
"Radon is not a gamma emitter." - A falsifiable hypothesis.

Google "Is radon a gamma emitter?"

You will instantly find that, yes, radon is a gamma emitter.

You will also instantly find that radon is also a BETA emitter.

What's the difference?

Gamma rays have orders of magnitude more ionizing radiation energy than beta particles. Rays versus particles. Both a form of "radiation".

A gamma ray can rip a hole in the DNA or RNA of healthy tissue and turn it into a cancer. Ask Hiroshima survivors.

Gamma rays are CARCINOGENIC.

A gamma ray can rip up a crucial piece of RNA in a developing fetus. This can cause that baby to have birth defects while still having healthy chromosomes.

Gamma rays are TERATOGENIC.

A gamma ray can penetrate deep into reproductive organs and rip a hole in the sequence of a crucial gene. This can cause birth defects in future generation.

Gamma rays are MUTAGENIC.

A BETA PARTICLE is NO JOKE.

They carry WAY LESS ENERGY than gamma rays, but they can still burn your skin.

One mistake that some members of the Chernobyl clean up crew made was to be in such a hurry to use the bathroom that they didn't remove their gloves first.

No problem at first. For days after that, NASTY BURNS in sensitive areas.

But even a paper suit is enough to protect from beta particles.

Literally, a HAZMAT suit made of paper!

That's all I needed to wear for running BETA SCINT.

Radon, like radium, emits both gamma rays and beta particles in the same way.

We weren't concerned about the beta particles from the radium.

They were not why we were running BETA SCINT.

BETA SCINT was needed to measure strontium-90 and others that emitted beta particles, but no gamma rays.

Didn't really want to get into radiochemistry in order to discuss climate change, but a teachable moment should not go to waste.

Gamma Spec is the name of an instrument that measures the energy of gamma rays with spectroscopy.

Beta Scint is the name of an instrument that measures the number of beta particles by counting the scintillation they induce in the sensor.

I LOVE SCIENCE!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:
Radon is not a buzzword.

sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

Radon isn't dangerous.
sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

sealover wrote:

RE: Lessons in Biogeochemisty AND Pest Control25-03-2022 21:38
sealover
★★★★☆
(1238)
Lessons in Biogeochemistry AND Pest Control.

With some exceptions, these posts have ALWAYS been directed to a target audience.

A target audience who doesn't need to be convinced that climate change is real.

A target audience who believes that scientists are not LIARS.

A target audience who understands that the words scientists use actually mean something that other scientists understand without requirement for unambiguous definition as a precondition before presentation of argument.

A target audience who will have little difficulty spotting trolls who play word games in order to pretend that they understand science.

It's fine with me that they are not here yet (the target audience)

It gives me time to fill up the library while I still can.

They will have plenty of topics available to ask questions. REAL QUESTIONS!

I probably won't have time to write any more science story telling once the questions start coming in.

Surely you must have understood that I wasn't talking to YOU with all those gibber babble buzzwords that have no meaning other than to deceive the ignorant?

But a lot of those posts weren't pretending to be science.

They, too, were intended to be understood by the same target audience.

They, too, were lessons to be studied by others.

There are ways to minimize the interference from trolls.

There are ways to use their idiotic assertions to facilitate better understanding of the truth.

There are ways to humiliate them for their scientific ignorance.

There ways to use the trolls own words to show the world what despicable human beings these vile creatures really are.

I am trying to provide lessons in biogeochemistry and troll pest control.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

IBdaMann wrote:
sealover wrote:When a defendant appears in court, his attorney probably won't get far if the main thrust of the defense is that "aggravated assault" is merely a "buzzword".

Bogus comparison. "Aggravated Assault" has many pages of legal definition that is supported by reams of legal definitions for supporting terms, all with countless pages of legal precedent.

You err when implying that "Climate Change" is similarly exhaustively defined with inquisitors merely pretending that it somehow isn't.

A better analogy would be one where you accuse someone of "criminal insignifistilence" and demand that he be arrested immediately. You would promptly be asked "What is that?" When you refuse to define it or to explain what you mean while claiming that "other people know what it is", you will be summarily dispatched and your buzzwords ignored.

Certainly no trial could proceed until "criminal insignifistilence" had been unambiguously defined and made illegal by some legislation.

... so what is Climate Change? Is that what mothers do, i.e. they change a baby's climate? There can be no debate concerning "Climate Change" until it is unambiguously defined.
25-03-2022 21:51
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
Sea lover wrote:
Especially the firing ranges where the gun freaks play with their assault rifles.

Sorry, I'm trying to follow along here and I'm actually learning a lot! Thank you!

Real quick, how is one able to identity a rifle of the assault variety? Thanks in advance.
RE: Just Lock the Bathroom Door from the Outside! Trolls Only Live in the SEWER!25-03-2022 22:06
sealover
★★★★☆
(1238)
Just Lock the Bathroom Door from the Outside! Trolls Only Live in the SEWER!

Trolls have been exiled from the world of sunlight.

They can only live in the sewer now.

Just lock the bathroom door from the outside!

The only way the trolls can break in is to crawl up through the toilet.

We don't have to be in the bathroom to have a rational discussion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GasGuzzler wrote:
Sea lover wrote:

Sorry, I'm trying to follow along here and I'm actually learning a lot! Thank you!

Real quick, how is one able to identity a rifle of the assault variety? Thanks in advance.
25-03-2022 22:20
(21582)
sealover wrote:
"Radon is not a gamma emitter." - A falsifiable hypothesis.

Radon is not a gamma emitter.
sealover wrote:
Google "Is radon a gamma emitter?"

You will instantly find that, yes, radon is a gamma emitter.

Google is not God nor is it a reference. Radon is not a gamma emitter.
sealover wrote:
You will also instantly find that radon is also a BETA emitter.

What's the difference?

Radon is not a beta emitter.
sealover wrote:
Gamma rays have orders of magnitude more ionizing radiation energy than beta particles. Rays versus particles. Both a form of "radiation".

So it light. Radon is not a beta emitter.
sealover wrote:
A gamma ray can rip a hole in the DNA or RNA of healthy tissue and turn it into a cancer. Ask Hiroshima survivors.

Gamma rays are CARCINOGENIC.

A gamma ray can rip up a crucial piece of RNA in a developing fetus. This can cause that baby to have birth defects while still having healthy chromosomes.

Gamma rays are TERATOGENIC.

A gamma ray can penetrate deep into reproductive organs and rip a hole in the sequence of a crucial gene. This can cause birth defects in future generation.

Gamma rays are MUTAGENIC.

A BETA PARTICLE is NO JOKE.

They carry WAY LESS ENERGY than gamma rays, but they can still burn your skin.

One mistake that some members of the Chernobyl clean up crew made was to be in such a hurry to use the bathroom that they didn't remove their gloves first.

No problem at first. For days after that, NASTY BURNS in sensitive areas.

Radon is not a gamma emitter nor a beta emitter.
sealover wrote:
But even a paper suit is enough to protect from beta particles.

Paper is insufficient to stop beta rays.
sealover wrote:
Literally, a HAZMAT suit made of paper!

That's all I needed to wear for running BETA SCINT.

Radon, like radium, emits both gamma rays and beta particles in the same way.

Radon is not radium. Radon is not a gamma or beta emitter.
sealover wrote:
We weren't concerned about the beta particles from the radium.

They were not why we were running BETA SCINT.

BETA SCINT was needed to measure strontium-90 and others that emitted beta particles, but no gamma rays.

Radon isn't strontium. Buzzword fallacy.
sealover wrote:
Didn't really want to get into radiochemistry in order to discuss climate change, but a teachable moment should not go to waste.

You are not teaching anything.
sealover wrote:
Gamma Spec is the name of an instrument that measures the energy of gamma rays with spectroscopy.

Beta Scint is the name of an instrument that measures the number of beta particles by counting the scintillation they induce in the sensor.

Meh. Radon is not a gamma nor a beta emitter.
sealover wrote:
I LOVE SCIENCE!!!

You deny science. Science is not an instrument, measurement, observation, data, buzzwords, or a proof of any kind. It is not 'settled'. It is not any scientist or group of scientists. It has no politics. It is not a religion and has no religion.

Science is a set of falsifiable theories.

The Parrot Killer

25-03-2022 22:31
(21582)
sealover wrote:
Lessons in Biogeochemistry AND Pest Control.

The Parrot Killer

25-03-2022 22:39
(21582)
sealover wrote:

Evasion. He asked you a question. Answer it.

The Parrot Killer

RE: Tetra Ethyl Lead (TEL) to Calibrate Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR).25-03-2022 23:47
sealover
★★★★☆
(1238)
Tetra Ethyl Lead (TEL) to Calibrate Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR).

HEAVY METAL GAS???

Radon and tetra ethyl lead are two gases that have some things in common.

They are very heavy elements. As heavy as they get.

One is a heavy metal in organic (ethylated) form.

One is a very heavy Noble gas.

They are both hazardous to human health.

One is a carcinogen, teratogen, and mutagen.

One causes brain damage.

They are both VERY HEAVY ELEMENTS, yet they FLOAT IN THE ATMOSPHERE.

I mean, you don't hear about some chemical form of GOLD that seeps up from underground into your house and makes you rich. GOLD is a HEAVY METAL, present in the earth's crust in a pool more than a million times greater than radon.

Radon is a Noble gas.

A Noble gas like helium, neon, argon, krypton, and xenon.

Radon is the heaviest Noble gas of them all.

Just about as heavy as lead, radium, or mercury.

Like all Noble gases, radon is chemically inert.

As it collides with other gas molecules or particles in the atmosphere, there is no chemical interaction between radon and anything else. Ever.

As it collides with other gas molecules or particles in the atmosphere, radon does not physically interact through dipole interaction, electric field effects, bond resonance frequency, etc.

Tetra ethyl lead (TEL) is sort of like radon that way.

As TEL collides with other molecules or particles in the atmosphere, its kind of an inert super ball.

The only thing that ever comes into contact are the outermost hydrogen on the four ethyl groups attached to the lead atom.

As organic chemistry students learn in alkane chemistry.

Those hydrocarbons yield a lot of energy if you combine them with oxygen and a spark. BOOM! BURN BABY BURN!

But those hydrocarbons, like the ethyl groups on the tetra ethyl lead are pretty inert as chemicals otherwise.

Hydrocarbons don't play well with others in chemistry.

Mostly because they don't play at all.

It is usually some other part of an organic molecule or complex where the action is, if there is any.

Pure hydrocarbons don't do much spontaneously.

Tetra ethyl lead. TEL. Pb is element symbol for lead. TEL formula PbC8H20

Tetra ethyl lead has 12 hydrogen atoms on its outer 4 METHYL groups.

These hydrogen atoms are in the -CH3 methyl group that comprises the outer part of the "ethyl" in tetra ethyl lead.

All 12 of these C-H bonds are identical in nuclear magnetic resonance.

Tetra ethyl lead has 4 C-C bonds.

All 4 of these C-C bonds are identical in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR).

Tetra ethyl lead has 8 C-H bonds from the inner part of the "ethyl" in TEL.

All 8 of these C-H bonds are identical in NMR.

Tetra ethyl lead has 4 Pb-C bonds, which make it ORGANIC LEAD.

All 4 Pb-C bonds are equal in NMR.

Tetra ethyl lead has 28 different individual chemical bonds between elements in its large molecular structure.

NMR only sees 4, EXACTLY the same.

It's a good way to calibrate NMR.

-------------------------------------------------

Into the Night wrote:
sealover wrote:

Evasion. He asked you a question. Answer it.
26-03-2022 02:26
(21582)
sealover wrote:
Tetra Ethyl Lead (TEL) to Calibrate Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR).

TEL is not used to calibrate anything.
sealover wrote:
HEAVY METAL GAS???

A good name for a rock group.
sealover wrote:
Radon and tetra ethyl lead are two gases that have some things in common.

TEL is not a gas at room temperature and pressure. Radon is.
sealover wrote:
They are very heavy elements. As heavy as they get.

A meaningless statement.
sealover wrote:
One is a heavy metal in organic (ethylated) form.
One is a very heavy Noble gas.

Define 'very heavy'. Describe why this is important to you.
sealover wrote:
They are both hazardous to human health.

One is a carcinogen, teratogen, and mutagen.
One causes brain damage.

Lead does not cause brain damage. Neither does TEL.
Radon does not cause mutations or cancer. I don't you even know what cancer IS.
sealover wrote:
They are both VERY HEAVY ELEMENTS, yet they FLOAT IN THE ATMOSPHERE.

TEL is a liquid at room temperature and pressure. Radon doesn't float in the atmosphere. It's simply part of the atmosphere.
sealover wrote:
I mean, you don't hear about some chemical form of GOLD that seeps up from underground into your house and makes you rich. GOLD is a HEAVY METAL, present in the earth's crust in a pool more than a million times greater than radon.

Gold can also be a vapor at room temperature under the right conditions.
sealover wrote:
Radon is a Noble gas.
A Noble gas like helium, neon, argon, krypton, and xenon.

So?
sealover wrote:
Radon is the heaviest Noble gas of them all.

No. Oganesson is.
sealover wrote:
Just about as heavy as lead, radium, or mercury.

It is heavier than lead and mercury, and lighter than radium.
sealover wrote:
Like all Noble gases, radon is chemically inert.

It is not. Radon can form a stable compound with fluorine.
sealover wrote:
As it collides with other gas molecules or particles in the atmosphere, there is no chemical interaction between radon and anything else. Ever.

Wrong. Radon can form a stable compound with fluorine.
sealover wrote:
As it collides with other gas molecules or particles in the atmosphere, radon does not physically interact through dipole interaction, electric field effects, bond resonance frequency, etc.

Tetra ethyl lead (TEL) is sort of like radon that way.

TEL is not a noble gas. It is also able to react chemically.
sealover wrote:
As TEL collides with other molecules or particles in the atmosphere, its kind of an inert super ball.

It is not inert.
sealover wrote:
The only thing that ever comes into contact are the outermost hydrogen on the four ethyl groups attached to the lead atom.

Any part of the molecule can react.
sealover wrote:
As organic chemistry students learn in alkane chemistry.

TEL is not an alkane.
sealover wrote:
Those hydrocarbons yield a lot of energy if you combine them with oxygen and a spark. BOOM! BURN BABY BURN!

TEL is not a hydrocarbon.
sealover wrote:
But those hydrocarbons, like the ethyl groups on the tetra ethyl lead are pretty inert as chemicals otherwise.

TEL is not inert and is not a hydrocarbon.
sealover wrote:
Hydrocarbons don't play well with others in chemistry.

So methane and gasoline don't react, eh? I hope you have good insurance.
sealover wrote:
Mostly because they don't play at all.

So gasoline and methane don't burn, eh? I hope you have good insurance.
sealover wrote:
It is usually some other part of an organic molecule or complex where the action is, if there is any.

Pure hydrocarbons don't do much spontaneously.

So gasoline and methane don't burn, eh? I hope you have good insurance.
sealover wrote:
All 4 of these C-C bonds are identical in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR).

No, they aren't.

You obviously have no idea what NMR imaging is or how it works. You obviously have no clue what an alkane or a hydrocarbon is. You obviously have no clue about the several compounds you can make with noble gases.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 26-03-2022 02:28
26-03-2022 02:34
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
sealover wrote:Radon is a Noble gas. Like all Noble gases, radon is chemically inert.

I totally understand the hype and fear and panic that I am supposed to feel when I read the word RADON!. I certainly get it. It's frightening. Terrifying. I see what you mean.

Since you are the biogeoastrochemist, how much gamma radiation are you claiming that radon emits?

sealover wrote:Those hydrocarbons yield a lot of energy if you combine them with oxygen and a spark. BOOM! BURN BABY BURN!

I totally understand the hype and fear and panic that I am supposed to feel when I read the word "hydrocarbons.". I certainly get it. It's frightening. Terrifying. I see what you mean. All I can think about is "BOOM! BURN BABY BURN!"

sealover wrote:But those hydrocarbons, like the ethyl groups on the tetra ethyl lead are pretty inert as chemicals otherwise. Hydrocarbons don't play well with others in chemistry.

What does it mean to "play well" with others in chemistry? Are hydrocarbons like IBDaMann, i.e they don't play well with others, BOOM! BURN BABY BURN, leave a bad taste in your mouth, etc ...?

sealover wrote:Mostly because they don't play at all.

How does BOOM! BURN BABY BURN become "they don't play at all." Did I miss something?

sealover wrote:Pure hydrocarbons don't do much spontaneously.

Does water? Does plastic? Does a baseball? How about a "pure" baseball?

sealover wrote:All 4 of these C-C bonds are identical in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR).

Your layman audience will appreciate you bringing the conversation down to their level.

sealover wrote:It's a good way to calibrate NMR.

Not when you are simply building the constructor, closing a device or clearing the buffer.
Attached image:

Edited on 26-03-2022 02:34
Page 2 of 4<1234>

Join the debate THREAD VERSUS THREAD! A REAL climate debate.:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Gravity Has Energy Debate3303-02-2024 17:02
What a "REAL" American Brings to the Table305-12-2023 01:14
We mourn the passing of climate debate.com1504-12-2023 17:11
Tell your old college professors to check out climate-debate.com for biogeochemistry30704-12-2023 15:34
None Of You Know The Real Intend, Purpose Of Climate Change Issue On The Media704-12-2023 04:02
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact