Remember me
▼ Content

This Should Be Interesting

Page 1 of 212>
This Should Be Interesting13-12-2020 18:04
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
And futures trading on crude oil helped fuel (pun intended) the Great Recession of 2008. That's what caused gas prices to go up so quickly.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/water-running-fast-wall-street-223053972.html
13-12-2020 21:07
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
James___ wrote:
And futures trading on crude oil helped fuel (pun intended) the Great Recession of 2008. That's what caused gas prices to go up so quickly.

No. Inflation is what caused gas prices to go up so quickly.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
14-12-2020 02:06
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Petrol prices here are at an all time low.Less than $1/litre.I fill up Tuesdays as for some reason its the cheap day and I get further discount as a woolworths member
14-12-2020 02:51
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5195)
duncan61 wrote:
Petrol prices here are at an all time low.Less than $1/litre.I fill up Tuesdays as for some reason its the cheap day and I get further discount as a woolworths member

Paid $1.97/Gal today here. Not sure how the equates in Australian dollars, or liters, but cheaper than a week ago, about 17 cents per gallon cheaper. Nice surprise, since I needed a little over 19 gallons. Filled up my gas can for the lawnmower. Didn't mow though. Kind of need to, but not really that bad. We've had a few cold fronts, and we have another on the way. Not much sense in mowing, if the grass ain't growing...
14-12-2020 06:41
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
$1 AUD - USD .75C
3.8 litres to a gallon
$3.80 to a US Gallon
14-12-2020 16:35
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
HarveyH55 wrote:
duncan61 wrote:

Paid $1.97/Gal today here. Not sure how the equates in Australian dollars, or liters, but cheaper than a week ago, about 17 cents per gallon cheaper. Nice surprise, since I needed a little over 19 gallons. Filled up my gas can for the lawnmower. Didn't mow though. Kind of need to, but not really that bad. We've had a few cold fronts, and we have another on the way. Not much sense in mowing, if the grass ain't growing...

I was first thinking "do you plan on mowing snow?" but then I remembered that you are in Florida lol

Here in WI, gas is around $1.90/gal on the high end and around $1.70/gal on the low end. Where I go, it's closer to $1.70/gal. Sounds like duncan pays a bit more than we do for gas, but if the CCP usurper usurps the Presidency, then we'll be paying a lot for gas too...
Edited on 14-12-2020 16:37
14-12-2020 22:53
(21559)
gfm7175 wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
duncan61 wrote:

I was first thinking "do you plan on mowing snow?" but then I remembered that you are in Florida lol

Here in WI, gas is around $1.90/gal on the high end and around $1.70/gal on the low end. Where I go, it's closer to $1.70/gal. Sounds like duncan pays a bit more than we do for gas, but if the CCP usurper usurps the Presidency, then we'll be paying a lot for gas too...

Gasoline prices in the U.S. are currently around $1.90/gal (most places) ranging to around $2.97 in Los Angeles.

Gas prices have come down, due to the current glut of oil supplies on the market. There is plenty of oil for everyone.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
14-12-2020 23:22
(5195)
I wonder how many square feet of solar panel, it would take to equal the energy in one gallon of gas...
15-12-2020 08:55
(21559)
HarveyH55 wrote:
I wonder how many square feet of solar panel, it would take to equal the energy in one gallon of gas...

2227, or about 47 feet on a side for a square panel.

A single square foot of solar panel is good for 15 watts in optimal conditions. A gallon of gasoline contains 33,700 watts of chemical energy per gallon.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 15-12-2020 09:01
15-12-2020 11:00
(5195)
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

A single square foot of solar panel is good for 15 watts in optimal conditions. A gallon of gasoline contains 33,700 watts of chemical energy per gallon.

Damn... Why would anyone think a solar panel would be even close to replacing gas, for anything. I'd imagine for the price of that big of a solar panel, you could just buy gas, for the lifespan of of the panel, and still save money too.
15-12-2020 11:08
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
A sherman tank gets about .7mpg.Like to see the batteries that can move that sucker
15-12-2020 18:09
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14377)
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Note: this represents a units-of-measure error. Watts is not a measure of energy but of power. This one needs to be reworked.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
15-12-2020 19:45
(5195)
Picked a good time to buy gas, $219/gallon today...
15-12-2020 20:32
(21559)
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Note: this represents a units-of-measure error. Watts is not a measure of energy but of power. This one needs to be reworked.

These figures used were over one hour of producing power. In other words, burning one gallon of gas over that hour compared to one hour of solar panel exposure.

So yes...it is watt for watt.

One gallon of gasoline contains 120 million joules. Burning that over one hour produces 33,700 watts.

The Parrot Killer

15-12-2020 21:35
(14377)
HarveyH55 wrote:Picked a good time to buy gas, $219/gallon today...

I hate when it climbs over $200/gallon.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
15-12-2020 23:03
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1639)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

When can we get oil price of negative $37 again??? That was awesome!

I want the gas station to pay me when I fill up my tank instead of me pay them

Edited on 15-12-2020 23:08
15-12-2020 23:22
(21559)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

Oil never went to negative $37 a barrel. The lowest it got this year was $11 a barrel. It is currently trading at $45.76 a barrel (20.12.13.t.2038utc).

The Parrot Killer

15-12-2020 23:47
(1639)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

Oil never went to negative $37 a barrel. The lowest it got this year was $11 a barrel. It is currently trading at $45.76 a barrel (20.12.13.t.2038utc).

And your explanation of this is?

"A historic drop occurred on April 20, when the price of West Texas Intermediate crude dropped by almost 300%, trading at around negative $37 per barrel."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/16/how-negative-oil-prices-revealed-the-dangers-of-futures-trading.html

16-12-2020 00:23
(21559)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

"A historic drop occurred on April 20, when the price of West Texas Intermediate crude dropped by almost 300%, trading at around negative $37 per barrel."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/16/how-negative-oil-prices-revealed-the-dangers-of-futures-trading.html

Fake News. Oil never went to negative $37 a barrel.

The Parrot Killer

16-12-2020 00:33
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Good lord there is some rubbish out there.How can a commodity go minus.What they start giving it away?It would be stockpiled and sold later like wheat
16-12-2020 00:41
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
It actuallty did go to minus 37. The issue was storage - not enough ships to put it on.

The price was based on the cost of storage.
If you had an oil tanker and could take physical posession of the oil there were holders of the right to oil that would pay you that much.
16-12-2020 01:33
(1639)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

Must be fake Futures Contracts too, right, traded on commodity exchanges all around the world?

16-12-2020 02:13
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
I find it rather fitting that a bird brain is showing up every time you post.
16-12-2020 02:16
(1639)
GasGuzzler wrote:

. Oh it's ok for your pals to do it but not me!

I was fortunate enough to be graced with that wild bird's presence just a few feet from me for maybe 10 minutes this past October

16-12-2020 02:27
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
GasGuzzler wrote:

Hmmm? First ITN and then you. You might be onto something there Gasguzzler.
16-12-2020 05:35
(14377)
Into the Night wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Note: this represents a units-of-measure error. Watts is not a measure of energy but of power. This one needs to be reworked..

These figures used were over one hour ...

Done! That fixes it.

Power = Energy over time. In your scenario the time component is apparently "one hour" and that's all I needed. Great.

Thank you.

16-12-2020 10:57
(21559)
keepit wrote:
It actuallty did go to minus 37.

Never did. Never even went negative.
keepit wrote:
The issue was storage - not enough ships to put it on.

Nope. They just stopped drilling. The lowest the price went was $11/barrel.
keepit wrote:
The price was based on the cost of storage.

The ground is storage. The just left it in the ground.
keepit wrote:
If you had an oil tanker and could take physical posession of the oil there were holders of the right to oil that would pay you that much.

Never happened.

The Parrot Killer

16-12-2020 10:59
(21559)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

Must be fake Futures Contracts too, right, traded on commodity exchanges all around the world?

Irrelevant extension of an invalid argument. This is a pivot fallacy...a favorite of tmiddles.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 16-12-2020 10:59
16-12-2020 11:02
(21559)
GasGuzzler wrote:

Not a bird brain. A species of bird...a starling.

So he likes starlings. What do you care? You are better than petty insults like this.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 16-12-2020 11:07
16-12-2020 11:04
(21559)
Spongy Iris wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

I was fortunate enough to be graced with that wild bird's presence just a few feet from me for maybe 10 minutes this past October

Probably preparing to migrate with his buddies. That's when these birds start to hang out together more. This one might have been a bit curious. These birds are generally VERY observant of everything around them. They can mimic an amazing set of sounds, and they have a pretty song.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 16-12-2020 11:06
16-12-2020 16:32
(3314)
Spongy Iris wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

He said that it was "rather fitting", not that it wasn't okay. It was part of an insult directed towards you.

Spongy Iris wrote:

That's nice! I do enjoy me some wildlife encounters as well.

I've had my fair share of similar close encounters with a variety of wildlife (in their natural habitat), such as deer (numerous times), buffalo (once, unexpectedly), opossums (a few times), eagles (flew quite closely over my head while on a bike ride, which showed me just how large they really are), red-wing black birds (one pecked at the back of my head while on a bike ride), and various other bird species and other critters.
Edited on 16-12-2020 16:59
16-12-2020 20:12
(1639)
Into the Night wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

So he likes starlings. What do you care? You are better than petty insults like this.

You must be talking about gfm's picture of the Starling.

16-12-2020 20:21
(1639)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

Irrelevant extension of an invalid argument. This is a pivot fallacy...a favorite of tmiddles.

The buyer of a futures contract is taking on the obligation to buy and receive the underlying asset when the futures contract expires. The seller of the futures contract is taking on the obligation to provide and deliver the underlying asset at the expiration date.

Not irrelevant.

The seller of 1 barrel of oil had the obligation to pay the buyer of 1 barrel of oil $37, for sales done on April 20, 2020.

16-12-2020 20:37
(1639)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

Probably preparing to migrate with his buddies. That's when these birds start to hang out together more. This one might have been a bit curious. These birds are generally VERY observant of everything around them. They can mimic an amazing set of sounds, and they have a pretty song.

I'm not quite sure what species of bird this is. My guess is a hawk.

Not a dove

Edited on 16-12-2020 20:39
16-12-2020 21:04
(21559)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

You must be talking about gfm's picture of the Starling.

No. Talking about your picture. Now that I look at it closer, I don't think it's a starling. Maybe a hawk of some kind. This bird's a meat eater.

The Parrot Killer

16-12-2020 21:08
(21559)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

The buyer of a futures contract is taking on the obligation to buy and receive the underlying asset when the futures contract expires. The seller of the futures contract is taking on the obligation to provide and deliver the underlying asset at the expiration date.

Not irrelevant.

The seller of 1 barrel of oil had the obligation to pay the buyer of 1 barrel of oil $37, for sales done on April 20, 2020.
Never happened. Fake News. Oil traded at $19.12 in April. It was actually up from March.

The Parrot Killer

16-12-2020 21:08
(21559)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

Not a dove

Agreed, now that I look at it closer. This bird is a meat eater for sure. Hawks are normally very territorial. I wonder why this one was so friendly to you. They aren't afraid of people at all.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 16-12-2020 21:10
16-12-2020 21:17
(1639)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:

Not irrelevant.

Never happened. Fake News. Oil traded at $19.12 in April. It was actually up from March.

More denial of actual recorded transaction history from The Parrot.

16-12-2020 21:21
(1639)
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

Not a dove

Agreed, now that I look at it closer. This bird is a meat eater for sure. Hawks are normally very territorial. I wonder why this one was so friendly to you. They aren't afraid of people at all.

It certainly was not afraid of me. But it wasn't aggressive either. Never the less, I didn't narrow the distance between us less than 3 feet, for fear of losing an eye

16-12-2020 22:42
(3314)
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

Not a dove

It certainly was not afraid of me. But it wasn't aggressive either. Never the less, I didn't narrow the distance between us less than 3 feet, for fear of losing an eye

Yup, I would say some sort of hawk as well (especially looking at the fatter and curved beak shape, and the larger size of it). Starlings are smaller, have a smaller, narrower and pointier beak shape, and have a multi-colored and speckled body (in the Summer, anyway). I too am intrigued that it was so friendly with you.

Although, I have now officially tamed the neighbor's farm cat to the point where it purposely waits for me to get home from work and purposely sits down at the door of the shed to receive some attention from me before I go into the house.
Page 1 of 212>

Join the debate This Should Be Interesting:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Interesting news about Donald Trump (The Don officially to 80 million of us) anyway Trump is415-08-2022 04:08
The USA Must Change The President Election Rules To Make Life More Fair & Interesting128-07-2021 04:43
An interesting covid-19 number. If all Americans caught covid-19, then 85 percent3901-02-2021 02:07
Interesting news2030-03-2020 21:26
interesting article in forbes126-06-2019 13:28
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact