Remember me
▼ Content

This Is Odd

This Is Odd01-07-2020 22:28
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Christopher Columbus wasn't white and wasn't American. He also wasn't black.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/christopher-columbus-statue-removed-columbus-141811372.html
Edited on 01-07-2020 22:30
04-07-2020 05:04
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
James___ wrote:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/christopher-columbus-statue-removed-columbus-141811372.html

Thought he was spanish, but spain might just be the folks that financed.
04-07-2020 06:54
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
He was genoese from Italy
04-07-2020 08:25
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
duncan61 wrote: He was genoese from Italy

Correct. There is a high probability that he was from the island of Corsica, which belonged to the Genoa Empire at the time. It's why Christopher Columbus had such a thick "accent" ... he wasn't Italian proper.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
05-07-2020 00:33
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:

I think there's still a lot of debate about who he really was. Some say Italian but from what I've read, not really much is known about him.
05-07-2020 04:16
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:

To get some into history, the reason Columbus was "credited" with discovering America was because of the invention of the printing press. And he almost didn't make his voyage. The problem was that Spain had just fought a war.
It's also possible that he was Spanish, possibly from Catalonia and I think that was one of the regions that "Spain" had been at war with. Some believe he changed his name to obscure where he was from.
With Europe, many European did not start forming until a couple of centuries after the Vikings were pushed out of Europe. They occupied about 1/2 of it. They instituted things like trade and government. Without Roman occupation it seems that everyone went back to farming.
And if you consider the Knights Templar, they rose at the same that the occupation by Vikings was ending. And this is when countries started taking shape. It's like Iraq before ISIS, they saw no need to be a country.
With the US, could have a great future or it could be problematic. Economic opportunity I think is what will matter. With that said, it helps to understand how the "system" works. It's like in England, about 2/3 of the land is owned by people who it seems are descended from Lords of bygone days. Not much can be done about it.
Happy Independence Day !!
05-07-2020 04:48
(14389)
The reason people say that Christopher Columbus discovered the Americas is because he did. No one ever claimed he was first. Many people had discovered America as well. This does not somehow mean that Columbus therefore did NOT also discover the Americas.

05-07-2020 05:10
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
The reason people say that Christopher Columbus discovered the Americas is because he did. No one ever claimed he was first. Many people had discovered America as well. This does not somehow mean that Columbus therefore did NOT also discover the Americas.

And everybody knows the Vikings were here first. This is a clear case of discrimination. Maybe if they would've stayed in Minnesota when they were there, then we could all be living in Vinland?
What you are saying is that when a European and not a Norwegian found out that there was Vinland did the Europeans become aware if it. And then it was "discovered". Vikings had a name for the Inuit, it was Skraeling. That would be a form of discrimination as well.
So what if it was said that Eric the Red had killed and was exiled is why he settled first Greenland and then Vinland. He was a Viking. Are we going to let a little indiscretion get in the way of history?
What we need is a statue of a Viking showing Columbus the way and one of Chief Wahunsenacawh trembling in fear with his daughter Pocahontas. Then that would be an accurate representation of what lead to the USA.
And this isn't about my family or heritage when I talk about the Powhatan's and the Vikings. I am talking about a changing world and how people thrived ebcause of it and how some people suffer because of it.
After all, my great grandmother left Санкт Петерсбургь IMHO because her family realized the Bolshevik Revolution was coming. If you had money, you didn't want to stay in Russia. Да?
And an FYI IBDM, there's also the language Russenorsk. But that does not come from Kiev's Russ and the Vikings. It's from fisherman in Arctic waters. Yep, I have questions about my own family.
05-07-2020 09:02
(14389)
James___ wrote: And everybody knows the Vikings were here first.

Nobody knows who was first. Some people coming over from Asia discovered the Americas as well, certainly before Columbus discovered the Americas and all it had to offer.

James___ wrote:This is a clear case of discrimination.

Hey, at least Columbus wasn't trying to claim any jet streams for Spain.

James___ wrote: What you are saying is that when a European and not a Norwegian ...

We certainly don't want to confuse any Norwegians for Europeans. We'll have none of that "they all look alike to me" crap.

James___ wrote: Are we going to let a little indiscretion get in the way of history?

tgoebbles says that a little indiscretion obliges the entire history to be destroyed for future generations.

James___ wrote: What we need is a statue of a Viking showing Columbus the way

Except that the statue would be pointing Columbus in the wrong direction, since Columbus was trying to go to China (the Indies).

Attached image:

05-07-2020 09:23
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote: And everybody knows the Vikings were here first.

Nobody knows who was first. Some people coming over from Asia discovered the Americas as well, certainly before Columbus discovered the Americas and all it had to offer.

James___ wrote:This is a clear case of discrimination.

Hey, at least Columbus wasn't trying to claim any jet streams for Spain.

James___ wrote: What you are saying is that when a European and not a Norwegian ...

We certainly don't want to confuse any Norwegians for Europeans. We'll have none of that "they all look alike to me" crap.

James___ wrote: Are we going to let a little indiscretion get in the way of history?

tgoebbles says that a little indiscretion obliges the entire history to be destroyed for future generations.

James___ wrote: What we need is a statue of a Viking showing Columbus the way

Except that the statue would be pointing Columbus in the wrong direction, since Columbus was trying to go to China (the Indies).

Son, what did I tell you? We're not Inuits. They're Skraeling. And yet you show their perspective. How can I explain this to your mother? She had such high hopes for you.
Also, we're not talking about the end of the last Ice Age which never happened. Don't go believing that 13,000 years ago that there was a land bridge between Kamchakta and present day Alaska.
Spain can't claim a Jet Stream FOO!! It can claim a North Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation which causes the Arctic to cool or to warm.
Are you aware that most "Americans" don't know what people look like? There's we'uns and them'uns whatever an "uns" is.
Like your optical reference. It shows "Skraeling" looking past the Moon towards Polaris. Any idiot would know that. Please tell me that you're not that stupid. I want to be an "American". I can also say Fück Ü Ässhole. I watched Terminator with Arnold Schwarzenegger
05-07-2020 09:25
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:

Yep, cool pic

Attached image:

Edited on 05-07-2020 09:27
05-07-2020 09:57
(14389)
James___ wrote: Are you aware that most "Americans" don't know what people look like?

Aaaah, but I have actually seen a few ... and they were wearing hats. One had a newspaper.

Yep, I'm an expert on that.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
05-07-2020 18:44
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote: Are you aware that most "Americans" don't know what people look like?

Aaaah, but I have actually seen a few ... and they were wearing hats. One had a newspaper.

Yep, I'm an expert on that.

I think you're talking about "The Adjustment Bureau". Kind of wonder what they think of us.

Join the debate This Is Odd:

Remember me

▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact