Remember me
▼ Content

This forum is very disappointing

This forum is very disappointing16-10-2016 16:28
jerrylh
☆☆☆☆☆
(13)
I was new to this forum a few days ago. I came here to learn more about climate change as it is an interest of mine and I have some basic knowledge. What I see are personal insults and attacks about definitions. Most (posts are personal attacks). IbdaMann is the worst. He/she immediately attacked me for not being new. When I stated that I was indeed new IbdaMann told me I was being defensive
A couple of IbdaMann's responses
"Hello? Can you read this? Am I writing above your level?
I clearly explained that your delusion is not the case."

IbdaMann, you don't know me. Face to face we might be friends, but we would know enough to stay of the subject of Global Warning.

Few of the posts here are really contributory, Just personal insults or arguments about statistical definitions. I have seen this in other forums on other topics and I just leave. It appears that I would be better served to read scholarly articles on Global Warning
16-10-2016 20:07
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
Sorry you feel this way. Such comments are rather inherent between those discussing such a contentious subject. They often stem from a point of view that has seen the argument you make so many times before, and they are tired of repeating themselves.

As far as definitions go: Yes, I agree redefinitions of words are a real problem. Most of the debate on anything is often over the meaning of what 'is' is, as the old joke goes. The definition of 'science', for example, carries with it much philosophy, which most people haven't studied much. The definition of 'statistics' carries with it the meaning of what data is, how to validate it, how to select it, and then running it through the mechanics of statistics to produce a summary that means something. Even the meaning of 'temperature' is discussed here: what it really is, and what that means for the larger debate.

Scholarly articles on something like Global Warming could be studied, much like one would study any set of observations or even scripture. The trouble is, when you don't know if you are studying a religion or a science, you may find yourself simply getting indoctrinated into something that isn't real.

How can you tell? By using the requirements of the modern scientific method and sticking to them. By using logic and mathematics and sticking to them. This means learning the philosophy of why modern science is the way it is (the definition of science), the mathematics being used (the definition of various branches of mathematics and how they work), and the logic that all theories must conform to (the definition of formal and informal logic).

Unfortunately, most people have not studied philosophy seriously in school, and most people have not studied logic, either formal or informal, in school. The mathematics is typically taught only on a mechanistic level, without meaning. I think people tend to get more sleep in math class than in any other, except possibly social studies.

It is these definitions that are often at the heart of any debate on Global Warming. You will find them everywhere you go. Some forums, like Reddit, specifically filter out any comments from those opposed to the idea of Global Warming. This forum is more open. It allows conversations from both sides. It's a hotter 'kitchen' no doubt. If you can get past what seems to be inane and insulting conversations, though, there is stuff to be learned here. I certainly have.
17-10-2016 01:09
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
If anyone is dumb enough to think that this tedious monologue has any merit at all, ask yourself why is it only two people in the world can see how the greenhouse effect violates the laws of physics and why do they confine themselves to obscure unmoderated talkboards.

Try Reddit
17-10-2016 02:18
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
Stop that, spot. That's an argument ad populum.
17-10-2016 07:11
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
Tell me if someone makes nine statements that prove to be false why treat the tenth statement in the same way as the first, just because someone can be pompous when the mood takes them does not mean they aren't time wasters.
17-10-2016 09:24
(21582)
jwoodward48 wrote:
Stop that, spot. That's an argument ad populum.

Quite right.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
17-10-2016 09:32
(21582)
spot wrote:
Tell me if someone makes nine statements that prove to be false why treat the tenth statement in the same way as the first, just because someone can be pompous when the mood takes them does not mean they aren't time wasters.

A series of fallacies, spot.

First, the only one claiming anything is proven false is you. This is strictly your opinion, based an arguments of the Stone.

Second, assuming the Nth argument is wrong because you've deemed the others wrong is Bulverism. You are not blaming the one making the argument, not the argument itself (which you reject due to the argument the Stone anyway).

You actually carry an agenda of hatred. It is based on the hatred of Outsiders to your Religion. You are quite probably the most biased person on this forum.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 17-10-2016 09:33
17-10-2016 10:13
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
My comment was not aimed at you.
17-10-2016 11:07
Surface Detail
★★★★☆
(1673)
jerrylh wrote:
I was new to this forum a few days ago. I came here to learn more about climate change as it is an interest of mine and I have some basic knowledge. What I see are personal insults and attacks about definitions. Most (posts are personal attacks). IbdaMann is the worst. He/she immediately attacked me for not being new. When I stated that I was indeed new IbdaMann told me I was being defensive

IbdaMann, you don't know me. Face to face we might be friends, but we would know enough to stay of the subject of Global Warning.

Few of the posts here are really contributory, Just personal insults or arguments about statistical definitions. I have seen this in other forums on other topics and I just leave. It appears that I would be better served to read scholarly articles on Global Warning

You're quite correct. This forum, like many, is largely a mouthpiece for politically motivated denial of the science supporting anthropogenic global warming. The arguments, such as they are, are mostly based on rhetoric rather than logic and evidence.

IMO, some of the best summaries of the science can be found at the websites of the major scientific societies, such as the American Institute of Physics or the British Royal Society.

Here are a couple of links from their sites:

The Discovery of Global Warming

Climate Change Evidence & Causes
17-10-2016 12:38
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
spot wrote:
If anyone is dumb enough to think that this tedious monologue has any merit at all, ask yourself why is it only two people in the world can see how the greenhouse effect violates the laws of physics and why do they confine themselves to obscure unmoderated talkboards.

Try Reddit

Awesome! Spot speaks for the world.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
17-10-2016 13:10
(14389)
jerrylh wrote: I was new to this forum a few days ago

I still don't believe it.

jerrylh wrote:I came here to learn more about climate change as it is an interest of mine and I have some basic knowledge.

Correction: you came here to preach. You have zero "knowledge" on the matter, only a familiarity with your WACKY religious dogma. You are as scientifically illiterate as any of the Global Warming undead.

I tried to help you but it appears you can't learn.

jerrylh wrote: bdaMann is the worst.

Thank you. It's a true honor being the recipient of lame insult aatempts by drooling warmizombies. Aren't you forgetting to toss in an obligatory comment about how the entire rest of the world recognizes your WACKY religion as "settled science"?

@Into the Night, I don't mean to dash your hopes of claiming the title but I am clearly alone in the top slot. See below:

jerrylh wrote:He/she immediately attacked me for not being new. When I stated that I was indeed new IbdaMann told me I was being defensive

So tell me, don't keep it a secret. What part of that did you not understand?

jerrylh wrote:IbdaMann, you don't know me.

I know you better than you think.

jerrylh wrote:Face to face we might be friends, but we would know enough to stay of the subject of Global Warning.

I doubt you could. You very clearly become defensive at learning of those who don't believe as you do. In fact, you are the kind of person who would target a non-believer with persecution through rants on threads you created just for that purpose. You are a liar and an intellectual coward.

I am not likely to be bullied into believing your religious crap.

jerrylh wrote: I have seen this in other forums on other topics and I just leave. It appears that I would be better served to read scholarly articles on Global Warning

Good bye.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
17-10-2016 23:19
(21582)
spot wrote:
My comment was not aimed at you.

Doesn't matter. It is still the same set of fallacies.

The Parrot Killer

17-10-2016 23:56
(14389)
Surface Detail wrote:Here are a couple of links from their sites:

How typical. Surface Detail cowardly sends people to read dogma that cannot be cross-examined. He has to. He's too scientifically illiterate to field questions concerning science and too dishonest to admit it.

18-10-2016 00:23
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
Jerry was looking for scholarly articles. Surface gave him a source of information with his "sign of approval," or an indication that to the best of his knowledge, the information contained therein was accurate. What is wrong with that? Jerry did not ask a specific question, and Surface did not give a specific answer.
18-10-2016 01:17
(14389)
jwoodward48 wrote:
Jerry was looking for scholarly articles. Surface gave him a source of information with his "sign of approval," or an indication that to the best of his knowledge, the information contained therein was accurate. What is wrong with that? Jerry did not ask a specific question, and Surface did not give a specific answer.

I made it clear in my post what was wrong with Surface Detail's post.

18-11-2016 16:32
litesong
★★★★★
(2297)
ibm wrote:I made it clear......
////////
litesong wrote: Very clear. You said you didn't get science chemistry astronomy physics algebra & pre-calc in an unearned hi skule DEE-plooomaa. You are proud you didn't let education affect your thinking.
Edited on 18-11-2016 16:34
21-11-2016 13:30
(14389)
litesong wrote:
////////
litesong wrote: Very clear. You said you didn't get science chemistry astronomy physics algebra & pre-calc in an unearned hi skule DEE-plooomaa. You are proud you didn't let education affect your thinking.

Give me time. I'm learning all about the AGW-powered, ice-killing Global Warming berserkers. Them's some pretty mean dudes!

26-11-2016 01:34
litesong
★★★★★
(2297)
IBdaMann wrote:
litesong wrote:
////////

Give me time.

ibm (inner bowel movement) had lots of time to get science chemistry astronomy physics algebra & pre-calc in an unearned hi skule DEE-plooomaa. Now, it spends its time happy it didn't let education affect its thinking.
27-11-2016 09:36
(14389)
litesong wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
litesong wrote:
////////

Give me time.

ibm (inner bowel movement) had lots of time to get science chemistry astronomy physics algebra & pre-calc in an unearned hi skule DEE-plooomaa. Now, it spends its time happy it didn't let education affect its thinking.

litesong buddy, you rock. This site would not be the same without you.

27-11-2016 10:20
KKING
☆☆☆☆☆
(11)
spot wrote:

A bit like most research and why there's a penalty for making many claims. Everything has some possibility of having some merit, make enough random statements (guesses) then one increases ones likelihood of getting lucky. If one wishes to 'get lucky' then invest in more guesses.
28-11-2016 20:07
litesong
★★★★★
(2297)
IBdaMann wrote: litesong buddy, you rock. This site would not be the same without you.

This site would be more accurate without ibm.
28-11-2016 22:31
(14389)
litesong wrote:
IBdaMann wrote: litesong buddy, you rock. This site would not be the same without you.

This site would be more accurate without ibm.

litesong, my good friend, what is this site's current accuracy?

Join the debate This forum is very disappointing:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Does the forum have push notifications?007-04-2024 06:37
Spam in forum919-11-2023 23:27
General Question in General Forum.15818-06-2023 10:00
How Did TrueCompanion Create a New Thread/Post in a Closed Forum?326-08-2021 00:43
The Final Ultimate Global Currency Reset Evolution Details Be Shared Publicly At Only Forum Freejoy.aimoo129-09-2020 10:21
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact