Remember me
▼ Content

The first few (3 or 4) ppm CO2 absorb 99 percent of whatever IR CO2 absorbs, CO2 is certainly not logarit

The first few (3 or 4) ppm CO2 absorb 99 percent of whatever IR CO2 absorbs, CO2 is certainly not logarithmic.29-03-2019 13:52
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
Beyond the first few ppm CO2 further increases are negligible and irrelevant. So Arrhenius is wrong. CO2 is not logarithmic. Never was. Never will be.
29-03-2019 19:16
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Beyond the first few ppm CO2 further increases are negligible and irrelevant. So Arrhenius is wrong. CO2 is not logarithmic. Never was. Never will be.

I have explained this before - there is SOME energy in the absorption bands of CO2 but it is 100% gone at about 180-200 ppm. Not "the first few ppm CO2".

That it could be totally absorbed by 0.02% of CO2 in the atmosphere demonstrates just how minor those energy bands are.

I should also mention that because CO2 is so scarce that these photons have to travel some way to hit a CO2 molecule to be absorbed. My estimation is about 100 meters whereas another estimation of another source made it out to be only 10 meters. But I think that he was using 90% of the energy whereas I was using a 100% absorption.
Edited on 29-03-2019 19:19
30-03-2019 19:18
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21552)
Wake wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

I have explained this before - there is SOME energy in the absorption bands of CO2 but it is 100% gone at about 180-200 ppm. Not "the first few ppm CO2".

That it could be totally absorbed by 0.02% of CO2 in the atmosphere demonstrates just how minor those energy bands are.

I should also mention that because CO2 is so scarce that these photons have to travel some way to hit a CO2 molecule to be absorbed. My estimation is about 100 meters whereas another estimation of another source made it out to be only 10 meters. But I think that he was using 90% of the energy whereas I was using a 100% absorption.

I've explained this before, Wake. So has IBdaMann. There is no magick 'fence' where absorption stops until NO light escapes. Yet you commonly point to orbiting satellites showing that there is some light escaping on those absorption frequencies.

WTF???

Both of you are stuck on CO2 absorption. Absorption of surface emitted infrared light does NOT warm the Earth. You are both still trying to create energy out of nothing.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
31-03-2019 17:58
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14366)
Wake wrote:I have explained this before - there is SOME energy in the absorption bands of CO2 but it is 100% gone at about 180-200 ppm. Not "the first few ppm CO2".

Wake, whether or not a CO2 molecule absorbs a particular photon is determined by Planck's law, meaning you factor in the temperature of the CO2 molecule and the wavelength of the photon to determine if the photon has enough energy to be absorbed.

You mention the "absorption band" of CO2. That shifts with the temperature of the CO2 molecule per Wein's law.

The bottom line is that the temperature of the CO2 is what determines what the CO2 absorbs. THEN you can focus on QUANTITY of atmospheric CO2 doing the absorbing ... but one would have to wonder "to what end?"

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist

Join the debate The first few (3 or 4) ppm CO2 absorb 99 percent of whatever IR CO2 absorbs, CO2 is certainly not logarit:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Fossil Fuel Substitution for reduced emission of CO2, mercury, lead, arsenic, cadmium..39201-12-2023 21:58
Proof That Too Much CO2 Is An Existential Threat32607-11-2023 19:16
Anyone explain how does N2 and O2 don't absorb electromagnetic radiation?4902-02-2023 01:23
There is no scientific theory or evidence that suggest CO2 traps heat better than O2 or N253330-01-2023 07:22
CO2 Is Helping the Ozone Layer to Recover113-08-2022 05:54
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact