Remember me
▼ Content

The Faith Basis for Radiometric Data

The Faith Basis for Radiometric Data25-05-2019 18:55
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
James___ wrote: You guys missed the point about tree ring data. Radiocarbon data is accurate to within about 50 years when you go back a 1,000 years.

We know that science cannot speculate about the past. Sure, humans subjectively speculate about the past but science itself does not.

But we have radiometric dating, right? That's science, right?

Unfortunately no. Radiometric dating is a theory and a model, but not one whose speculations about the past can ever be verified. The scientific method has never been applied to any radiometric dating because we simply don't have time machines.

How does radiometric "work"? Radioactive substances decay into other stable substances. The rate of decay, usually denoted by the amount of time required for half of the material to decay, is called the "half-life" ... the shorter the half-life the more radioactive the substance.

Therefore, to perform a radiometric dating of an object, you find out what radioactive substance is/was most predominant in that object, you look up the half-life of that substance, you measure as accurately as possible the amount of that radioactive substance *and* the amount of the decay material ... and then you simply presume that there was absolutely none of the decay material present in the object when the object formed and then you do whatever you need to do to convince yourself that you are correct in doing so.

Humans need certainty; that's why so many people are willing to believe that the average global temperature of the earth is somehow known, that the average ocean temperature is somehow known, that the rate of sea level rise is somehow known (or even that the sea level is somehow known to be rising), or that the ocean's average pH level is somehow known, that the atmosphere's CO2 level is somehow known, etc... The result of a radiometric dating is simply the upper limit as to how old something possibly could be. The result of any radiometric dating should not be that the dated object is X years (plus or minus margin) but rather should be that the dated object is no more than X years (plus or minus margin). But we humans want certainty more than we want disappointing truth so we jump on the faith assumption that there was zero decay material at the object's formation and we simply declare that the maximum possible age is, in fact, the true age.

Any reasonable person is well within his/her rights to doubt that critical unfalsifiable assumption. No one can go back in time and ever check. Young earth creationists are well within scientific consistency to believe that the earth is much younger than the maximum upper limit of some radiometric dating result. They are well within their rights to believe that there was some non-zero amount of decay material in the object when formed, perhaps even a lot.

Then there is the question of the assumed constant rate of decay of radioactive substances. All observations to date show that radioactive substances decay at a random rate that, over a long period of time, is a statistically constant rate, regardless of temperature, pressure, humidity, amount of greenhouse gas, etc... We have no understanding of radioactive decay beyond statistical probability, i.e. we just don't know when or how a particle will be randomly emitted. In fact, the rate of radioactive decay is constantly changing but we simply speak in terms of a very long-term statistical average. Any reasonable person is well within scientific consistency to believe that the "rate of decay" over one period of time differed from that over another period of time, constituting a distinct change in the rate of decay over time.

So when it comes to radiometric dating, there are two elements of faith that form the basis of a radiometric dating result:

1. The belief that there was absolutely zero decay material at the formation of the object

2. The belief that the rate of radioactive decay is constant

These are beliefs, not science. They can never be verified.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
25-05-2019 19:21
dehammer
★★★☆☆
(480)
So there is no science? Its all religion? Nothing exist outside of your mind?
25-05-2019 19:58
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
dehammer wrote:
So there is no science? Its all religion? Nothing exist outside of your mind?

Some people are born that way. My American brother was. Just found nothing interesting. What IBdaMann failed to mention is that most samples used for radiocarbon dating haven't been exposed to the atmosphere since that carbon sample was preserved.
It's known that fire effects if something is worth carbon dating. It usually isn't.
25-05-2019 22:01
(14389)
dehammer wrote:So there is no science? Its all religion? Nothing exist outside of your mind?

There is most certainly science.

What is the "it" to which you refer? Christianity? Yes, that's all religion.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
26-05-2019 19:58
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote: You guys missed the point about tree ring data. Radiocarbon data is accurate to within about 50 years when you go back a 1,000 years.

We know that science cannot speculate about the past. Sure, humans subjectively speculate about the past but science itself does not.

But we have radiometric dating, right? That's science, right?

Unfortunately no. Radiometric dating is a theory and a model, but not one whose speculations about the past can ever be verified. The scientific method has never been applied to any radiometric dating because we simply don't have time machines.

How does radiometric "work"? Radioactive substances decay into other stable substances. The rate of decay, usually denoted by the amount of time required for half of the material to decay, is called the "half-life" ... the shorter the half-life the more radioactive the substance.

Therefore, to perform a radiometric dating of an object, you find out what radioactive substance is/was most predominant in that object, you look up the half-life of that substance, you measure as accurately as possible the amount of that radioactive substance *and* the amount of the decay material ... and then you simply presume that there was absolutely none of the decay material present in the object when the object formed and then you do whatever you need to do to convince yourself that you are correct in doing so.

Humans need certainty; that's why so many people are willing to believe that the average global temperature of the earth is somehow known, that the average ocean temperature is somehow known, that the rate of sea level rise is somehow known (or even that the sea level is somehow known to be rising), or that the ocean's average pH level is somehow known, that the atmosphere's CO2 level is somehow known, etc... The result of a radiometric dating is simply the upper limit as to how old something possibly could be. The result of any radiometric dating should not be that the dated object is X years (plus or minus margin) but rather should be that the dated object is no more than X years (plus or minus margin). But we humans want certainty more than we want disappointing truth so we jump on the faith assumption that there was zero decay material at the object's formation and we simply declare that the maximum possible age is, in fact, the true age.

Any reasonable person is well within his/her rights to doubt that critical unfalsifiable assumption. No one can go back in time and ever check. Young earth creationists are well within scientific consistency to believe that the earth is much younger than the maximum upper limit of some radiometric dating result. They are well within their rights to believe that there was some non-zero amount of decay material in the object when formed, perhaps even a lot.

Then there is the question of the assumed constant rate of decay of radioactive substances. All observations to date show that radioactive substances decay at a random rate that, over a long period of time, is a statistically constant rate, regardless of temperature, pressure, humidity, amount of greenhouse gas, etc... We have no understanding of radioactive decay beyond statistical probability, i.e. we just don't know when or how a particle will be randomly emitted. In fact, the rate of radioactive decay is constantly changing but we simply speak in terms of a very long-term statistical average. Any reasonable person is well within scientific consistency to believe that the "rate of decay" over one period of time differed from that over another period of time, constituting a distinct change in the rate of decay over time.

So when it comes to radiometric dating, there are two elements of faith that form the basis of a radiometric dating result:

1. The belief that there was absolutely zero decay material at the formation of the object

2. The belief that the rate of radioactive decay is constant

These are beliefs, not science. They can never be verified.

There is a third one:
3. The belief that no additional decay material contaminated the object during all those years.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
26-05-2019 23:24
(14389)
Into the Night wrote:
There is a third one:
3. The belief that no additional decay material contaminated the object during all those years.

There's something about the polyexclusion principle that indicates additional decay matter can't somehow get into a rock once the rock forms, for example.

However, you are correct that biological matter/fossils can be contaminated by just about anything, which includes additional decay matter. After all, there's a reason that forensic evidence left out in the elements soon ceases to stand up in court.

Thank you for pointing that out; my oversight.

27-05-2019 21:00
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
There is a third one:

There's something about the polyexclusion principle that indicates additional decay matter can't somehow get into a rock once the rock forms, for example.

However, you are correct that biological matter/fossils can be contaminated by just about anything, which includes additional decay matter. After all, there's a reason that forensic evidence left out in the elements soon ceases to stand up in court.

Thank you for pointing that out; my oversight.

While the rock itself doesn't obtain additional decay matter, it CAN be salted by another rock that DOES have a higher level of decay matter.

Over time, both of these can form sedimentary rock that may indicate a younger age than part of what makes up that sedimentary rock (assuming of course belief 2 is True).

This is no different than fossils, except that there is no discernible image of a life form involved.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan

Join the debate The Faith Basis for Radiometric Data:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
CDC Data Reveals. Majority of COVID-19 Deaths in America Occur Among the Vaccinated & Boosted030-11-2022 20:38
The Data Mine30309-02-2022 21:18
Could space debris be a challenge for collecting data on climate change?1023-03-2021 04:28
Darwin Airport homogenizing of temperature data3620-10-2020 20:28
80 year moving average data8813-05-2020 01:32
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact