Remember me
▼ Content

The Atlantic Ocean Is Growing

The Atlantic Ocean Is Growing29-01-2021 02:30
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
If this article is accurate, is the up welling along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge also causing the Atlantic Ocean to warm? The Pacific Ocean is also expanding as well.
Could something like this be influenced by tectonic plate uplift associated with melting glaciers?
https://www.yahoo.com/news/atlantic-ocean-getting-wider-every-190102525.html
Basically, when the Earth starts cooling again, will both oceans shorelines decrease the width of those oceans?
29-01-2021 02:36
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14406)
James___ wrote: Could something like this be influenced by tectonic plate uplift associated with melting glaciers?

No.

Well, that was easy.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
29-01-2021 02:48
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
James___ wrote:
If this article is accurate, is the up welling along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge also causing the Atlantic Ocean to warm? The Pacific Ocean is also expanding as well.
Could something like this be influenced by tectonic plate uplift associated with melting glaciers?
Basically, when the Earth starts cooling again, will both oceans shorelines decrease the width of those oceans?

LOL up welled water is cold not warm

Yawning
29-01-2021 05:24
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1643)
James___ wrote:

Looks like we don't have to worry about sea level rising because the oceans are getting bigger.

Edited on 29-01-2021 05:25
29-01-2021 09:04
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
That makes as much sense as any of the other bollocks theories Sponge dude
29-01-2021 10:16
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
I've lived in Florida for a few decades, there hasn't been any difference in sea level, height or width. That means that the only other option, would be oceans getting deeper. For oceans to get deeper, the land would need to get taller. Nothing to indicate that happening either.
29-01-2021 16:00
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
HarveyH55 wrote:
I've lived in Florida for a few decades, there hasn't been any difference in sea level, height or width. That means that the only other option, would be oceans getting deeper. For oceans to get deeper, the land would need to get taller. Nothing to indicate that happening either.

Lol you can also look at historical pictures of bridges that were there 100 to 200 years ago even if the bridge is gone the bases stand and show that the sea level has not risen visibly in 200 or so years
29-01-2021 16:03
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote: Could something like this be influenced by tectonic plate uplift associated with melting glaciers?

No.

Well, that was easy.

I'd feel better if you put a little more effort into it.
29-01-2021 16:05
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:

Yawning

Back in the 1970's, scientists said that deep ocean currents warmed 10 years ahead of the atmosphere. And the Greenland Sea abyss a decade or so again was warming 10 times faster than other bodies of water.
29-01-2021 16:19
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
James___ wrote:
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:

Yawning

Back in the 1970's, scientists said that deep ocean currents warmed 10 years ahead of the atmosphere. And the Greenland Sea abyss a decade or so again was warming 10 times faster than other bodies of water.

Deep ocean currents are cold and stable. When there is up welling the surface temps cool.

Not rocket science
29-01-2021 16:38
(14406)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
No.

Well, that was easy.

You asked a simple yes/no question. How much more effort do you need?

Instead of "No" did you want a "Hell, no!"?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
29-01-2021 17:05
(5197)
Do you think all that extra water, from melted polar ice, is leaking out of the ozone hole?
29-01-2021 17:14
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
No.

Well, that was easy.

You asked a simple yes/no question. How much more effort do you need?

Instead of "No" did you want a "Hell, no!"?

And now we're getting into the Earth's moment of inertia and it's corresponding inertia.
29-01-2021 17:19
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Do you think all that extra water, from melted polar ice, is leaking out of the ozone hole?

Actually, depleted ozone might help to warm the arctic. With Antarctica, it changes the winds around the land mass displacing heat. The arctic has no such land mass so it's winds behave differently.
If so, then this is an example of AGW and your sarcasm was noted as well.
29-01-2021 18:02
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Actually, depleted ozone might help to warm the arctic. With Antarctica, it changes the winds around the land mass displacing heat. The arctic has no such land mass so it's winds behave differently.

There is no longer an ozone hole.
29-01-2021 23:25
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21597)
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Yes there is. It still appears every winter at each pole and still is about the same size as always, and still have the same cause (lack of sunlight).

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 29-01-2021 23:25
29-01-2021 23:49
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Yes there is. It still appears every winter at each pole and still is about the same size as always, and still have the same cause (lack of sunlight).

And your dick is still limp. Tell us more.
30-01-2021 00:11
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Wrong the ozone hole totally closed up after the banning of chlorofluorocarbons, though it still opens it is not nearly as large.
30-01-2021 00:47
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Wrong the ozone hole totally closed up after the banning of chlorofluorocarbons, though it still opens it is not nearly as large.

No, the ozone hole opens and closes naturally (as the presence of sunlight and oxygen naturally make ozone, and the north and south poles do not have any sunlight during their respective winters). What you see naturally occurring on an annual basis has nothing to do with CFCs...
30-01-2021 00:50
(5197)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Check the NASA website... The O-hole, hasn't really changed much, since they started monitoring and recording it's size. It's like everything else on the planet, constantly changing. Some years, it gets really big, other years it shrinks down considerably. Do you think arctic ice will stop melting every year, if we stop burning carbon based fuels? You know, like how we 'fixed' the O-hole? Far as anyone can tell, the ice melts and reforms every year. Not always the same amounts, or in a predictable manner. We've had hurricanes far back as anyone can remember. I've lived in Florida over 30 years. They really haven't changed a whole lot, just the way they are measured, and reported. What use to be tropical storms, are now named storms. A Cat 3 hurricane, almost always drops down to tropical storm, or less, within an hour, after landfall. I remember when Cat 3 storms, were serious business, and would keep most of it's strength after landfall, all across our state, sometimes would weaken much, until reaching Georgia or Alabama. The main change, is that they send planes into the storms, and get direct measurements. Where 10 years ago, they relied entirely on land-based measurements. A lot of what were once considered tropical storms, not even worth naming, reach hurricane wind-speeds (intermittently) closer to the center. This newer system, though might be scientifically more accurate, is deceptive, since it doesn't accurately depict the overall strength of the storms.
30-01-2021 00:56
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Check the NASA website... The O-hole, hasn't really changed much, since they started monitoring and recording it's size. It's like everything else on the planet, constantly changing. Some years, it gets really big, other years it shrinks down considerably. Do you think arctic ice will stop melting every year, if we stop burning carbon based fuels? You know, like how we 'fixed' the O-hole? Far as anyone can tell, the ice melts and reforms every year. Not always the same amounts, or in a predictable manner. We've had hurricanes far back as anyone can remember. I've lived in Florida over 30 years. They really haven't changed a whole lot, just the way they are measured, and reported. What use to be tropical storms, are now named storms. A Cat 3 hurricane, almost always drops down to tropical storm, or less, within an hour, after landfall. I remember when Cat 3 storms, were serious business, and would keep most of it's strength after landfall, all across our state, sometimes would weaken much, until reaching Georgia or Alabama. The main change, is that they send planes into the storms, and get direct measurements. Where 10 years ago, they relied entirely on land-based measurements. A lot of what were once considered tropical storms, not even worth naming, reach hurricane wind-speeds (intermittently) closer to the center. This newer system, though might be scientifically more accurate, is deceptive, since it doesn't accurately depict the overall strength of the storms.

I do not believe that climate change is caused by humanity. Which does not mean that the humans who say that the climate is not changing are not simpletons.

So is the climate changing?

Sure is
30-01-2021 01:05
(5197)
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

I do not believe that climate change is caused by humanity. Which does not mean that the humans who say that the climate is not changing are not simpletons.

Sure is

It's a dynamic world, everything changes, all the time. There is no 'normal', and nothing we can do to avoid the changes, or prevent them. We can build, to better protect ourselves from extreme changes.
30-01-2021 01:31
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Sure is

It's a dynamic world, everything changes, all the time. There is no 'normal', and nothing we can do to avoid the changes, or prevent them. We can build, to better protect ourselves from extreme changes.

That is not true because we are about to begin changing Mars as rapidly as we can.

Change can be good
30-01-2021 01:59
(14406)
Swan wrote:Wrong the ozone hole totally closed up after the banning of chlorofluorocarbons, though it still opens it is not nearly as large.

Nope. You were gullible to absorb that crap and to then regurgitate it.

For as long as earth has had oxygen in its atmosphere and has been in orbit around the sun, it has had a solid daytime ozone layer. Thus there is always, and always has been, an ozone hole over whichever pole is in winter darkness (devoid of sunlight) because ozone is a product of solar UV radiation on oxygen.

Solar radiation, i.e. daylight, specifically the UV band, is absorbed by the O2 (oxygen) in the stratosphere and becomes O3 (ozone). At night, there just isn't any daylight to maintain the O3 and the ozone returns to normal O2 (oxygen).

Presuming you are not at either pole, look up into the noon sky and be certain that you're looking at plenty of ozone in that stratosphere. At two o'clock in the morning, look up at that same sky and be certain that there just isn't a whole lot of ozone up in that stratosphere any more ... but don't fear, in just a few hours that stratosphere will be swimming in ozone once again.

You can read more about it here.

30-01-2021 03:04
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5721)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:Wrong the ozone hole totally closed up after the banning of chlorofluorocarbons, though it still opens it is not nearly as large.

Nope. You were gullible to absorb that crap and to then regurgitate it.

For as long as earth has had oxygen in its atmosphere and has been in orbit around the sun, it has had a solid daytime ozone layer. Thus there is always, and always has been, an ozone hole over whichever pole is in winter darkness (devoid of sunlight) because ozone is a product of solar UV radiation on oxygen.

Solar radiation, i.e. daylight, specifically the UV band, is absorbed by the O2 (oxygen) in the stratosphere and becomes O3 (ozone). At night, there just isn't any daylight to maintain the O3 and the ozone returns to normal O2 (oxygen).

Presuming you are not at either pole, look up into the noon sky and be certain that you're looking at plenty of ozone in that stratosphere. At two o'clock in the morning, look up at that same sky and be certain that there just isn't a whole lot of ozone up in that stratosphere any more ... but don't fear, in just a few hours that stratosphere will be swimming in ozone once again.

You can read more about it here.

Ozone alert....................
30-01-2021 03:11
(14406)
Swan wrote:Ozone alert....................

LOL

LOL

Join the debate The Atlantic Ocean Is Growing:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Geoengineering to Neutralize Ocean Acidification32520-04-2024 00:23
Restoring Alkalinity to the Ocean40520-12-2023 09:14
Florida in hot water as ocean temperatures rise along with the humidity213-07-2023 15:50
Californicators attempt ocean climate solution121-04-2023 18:18
Deepfake porn could be a growing problem amid AI race217-04-2023 20:31
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact