Remember me
▼ Content

Temperature

Temperature07-08-2019 00:50
olyz
★☆☆☆☆
(87)
Exactly what temperature are climatologists talking about? Where?

The earth is a big place. Temperature (where) I may be increasing at the North Pole and decreasing at the South Pole. How do you average out the world, including altitude, in a meaningful way consistent with your equations?
07-08-2019 02:40
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
olyz wrote:
Exactly what temperature are climatologists talking about? Where?

The earth is a big place. Temperature (where) I may be increasing at the North Pole and decreasing at the South Pole. How do you average out the world, including altitude, in a meaningful way consistent with your equations?

There isn't any good way to measure global temperature, more specifically to the precision needed to observe the fraction of one degree being argued. The best we can actually do, is a rough estimate, of a relatively small area, at any given time, could be off a couple of whole degrees as well. This doesn't really represent the entire planet, at a specific moment in time. One side of the planet is always cooling (night), while the other half is warming (daylight), neither are happening a set rate, equally over the entire surface.

Most of the surface is water, which takes longer to warm an cool, than dry land. Not a whole lot of monitoring stations at sea...
07-08-2019 05:59
tmiddlesProfile picture★★★★★
(3979)
HarveyH55 wrote:
There isn't any good way to measure global temperature,

I think that's a bit too short a dismissal. The margin of error far exceeds what is being measured in the case of the story of 1/4 or 1/2 degree.

That said temperature measurements are useful and valuable and I hope we have a lot more to work with in the future.

It's one of those things where there IS an answer it's just very hard to find accurately and even harder to verify.

What's interesting is that in all of this even the numbers arrived at so dubiously don't jive with the newspaper headlines. Mainly they show a run up in temperature way before CO2 really increased and a plateau recently.

Join the debate Temperature:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Can we trust the satellite and surface-based temperature records?123-04-2024 16:21
Present temperature spike July '233127-09-2023 00:27
Surface temperature of earth according to Boltzmann law5610-05-2023 15:46
Greenhouse gases cool better and cause lower surface temperature of earth than non greenhouse gases310-05-2023 08:27
Low temperature breaks record set over 100 years ago, proving climate change is real2801-06-2022 06:03
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact