Remember me
▼ Content

Tell your old college professors to check out climate-debate.com for biogeochemistry

Page 4 of 8<<<23456>>>
11-05-2022 22:39
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Amphibians are small vertebrates that need water, or a moist environment, to survive. The species in this group include frogs, toads, salamanders, and newts. All can breathe and absorb water through their very thin skin. Amphibians also have special skin glands that produce useful proteins.

Hippopotamus
The hippopotamus, also called the hippo, common hippopotamus, or river hippopotamus, is a large semiaquatic mammal native to sub-Saharan Africa. It is one of only two extant species in the family Hippopotamidae, the other being the pygmy hippopotamus. Its name comes from the ancient Greek for "river horse"
11-05-2022 22:41
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Despite spending most of their time in the water, hippos are not amphibians. Instead, hippos are classified in the taxonomic class Mammalia.Unless you are a Trump loving yankee dog in which case you can make up whatever suits on the day
11-05-2022 23:30
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
duncan61 wrote:
Amphibians are small vertebrates that need water, or a moist environment, to survive.

Nope. Amphibians are anything that lives in water and on land. It can be a critter or it can be a vehicle or almost anything. Anything amphibious is an amphibian.
duncan61 wrote:
The species in this group include frogs, toads, salamanders, and newts. All can breathe and absorb water through their very thin skin. Amphibians also have special skin glands that produce useful proteins.

Frogs, toads, salamanders, and newts use lungs.
duncan61 wrote:
Hippopotamus
The hippopotamus, also called the hippo, common hippopotamus, or river hippopotamus, is a large semiaquatic mammal native to sub-Saharan Africa. It is one of only two extant species in the family Hippopotamidae, the other being the pygmy hippopotamus. Its name comes from the ancient Greek for "river horse"

And an amphibian.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 11-05-2022 23:32
11-05-2022 23:31
(21559)
duncan61 wrote:
Despite spending most of their time in the water, hippos are not amphibians. Instead, hippos are classified in the taxonomic class Mammalia.Unless you are a Trump loving yankee dog in which case you can make up whatever suits on the day

Hippos are amphibians. I did not create or define the word.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 11-05-2022 23:53
RE: No debating awards but did get one for teaching.13-05-2022 07:05
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
HarveyH55 wrote:
sealover wrote:
A teaching tip from Professor Paul Gersper.

Dr. Gersper was a soil scientist at UC Berkeley.

He taught the graduate seminar course about how to teach science.

He said to imagine that your target audience is comprised of above average intelligence 7th graders.

Can you make your point in a way that an above average intelligence 7th grader would understand?

He suggested that if we couldn't do that, we had failed to make our point clearly.

But an above average intelligence 7th grader knows that alligators are NOT amphibians.

You can't set the bar TOO low for the target audience.

So, you failed English class, repeatedly... Your articles are written in techno-babble, where only others in that field might follow along. This isn't a university, and no biogeochemist, or even climatologists to be found. Those articles weren't written for this site, and probably no other climate site either. Just articles you scrounged/lifted, to confuse. You figure few would question them, since they make little sense, and no point at all. Doubt seriously you were an educator. lack basic communication skills.

No debating awards but did get one for teaching.

I was never on the debate team. Never won any debates.

I did once upon a time get an award for teaching. 1989.

A small minority among the TA's, including myself, received "Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor" awards from a rinky dink little school called the University of California at Berkeley.

Let's see... 1999. An actual teacher in college, but not a real professor.

Almost no teaching positions at community colleges want a biogeochemist.

So, I was an adjunct faculty freeway flyer at two community colleges.

They let a biogeochemist teach chemistry, environmental science, and natural history.

One of them was a tiny Native American tribal college.

Barely a hundred students total. Nice small classes for intimate discussion.

On weekends there I got to teach entirely in Spanish to a different group of students.

The other one was HUGE. The single most ethnically diverse community college in all the United States, with a student population the size of small town.

But I never won any debates.

So, I figure a person should choose to do the things that they are best at.

Presuming that they are best at doing something of genuine value.
13-05-2022 09:27
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14373)
squeal over's sock:No debating awards but did get one for teaching.

Those who can, do. Those who cannot, have no choice but to seek tenure at a university.

Getting an award for "teaching" is getting an award for one's inability to be good enough at anything else in order to be competitive.

squeal over's sock:I did once upon a time get an award for teaching. 1989.

A small minority among the TA's, including myself, received "Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor" awards from a rinky dink little school called the University of California at Berkeley.

Berkeley is thoroughly Marxist. They HATE the idea of competition because none of the faculty are competent at anything and they have no intention of training any of their students to be competitive ... so they hand out awards for everything superficial like they are the Special Olympics. The grad student next to you probably got the "Amazing Graduate Student" ribbon and the one behind him probably got the "Best Swagger" award.

squeal over's sock:Let's see... 1999. An actual teacher in college, but not a real professor.

So, you were officially not competitive in anything in 1999. Check.

squeal over's sock:Almost no teaching positions at community colleges want a biogeochemist.

... because that's a religious title, not an academic discipline.

You don't know any science, and you are trying to sell yourself as knowing science. The best you can do is to invent a religion and pretend that it is "thettled thienth."

Of course nobody want's to hire anyone whose only credential is that he really, really , really believes that his WACKY religion is falsifiable science.

squeal over's sock:So, I was an adjunct faculty freeway flyer at two community colleges.

They were apparently desperate as well. All the competent people were out competing in their disciplines and being successful.

squeal over's sock:One of them was a tiny Native American tribal college.

I can see that. Probably not accredited.

squeal over's sock:On weekends there I got to teach entirely in Spanish to a different group of students.

I've done that ... but it was in standardized business processes at NATO for Spanish officers. It turns out that they have their own technical terms for things and I amplified my vocabulary substantially.

squeal over's sock:The other one was HUGE. The single most ethnically diverse community college in all the United States, with a student population the size of small town.

So, not the brightest bulbs in the pack but the most diverse in physical appearance. Got it.

squeal over's sock:So, I figure a person should choose to do the things that they are best at.

... which, in your case, is not English grammar. ... and not science. ... and not math.

You are good at speaking to people who have wide-ranging physical appearances. Yay!

Everybody can do that.

squeal over's sock:Presuming that they are best at doing something of genuine value.

So you get my point. Good.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
RE: Google "Cyclical Continuum of Elemental Properties"13-05-2022 09:46
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Google "Cyclical Continuum of Elemental Properties"

The Native American students just weren't getting it the first time, when it was time for the lecture about the Periodic Table of Elements.

The same presentation had been effective enough at the other community college.

But the puzzled looks, and the multiple questions revealed they weren't seeing the continuity.

The cultural bias of doing a lot of reading, starting at the top left, going across to the right, and then ASSUMING the continuity to the left end of the next line down.

The table was arranged like written text.

So, I started to draw a big spiral on the white board with hydrogen at the center.

That's when I got to see a bunch of students at once all get that delighted look of understanding.

The lecture went fine after that.

A few years later I started working on one at home that could be used as a teaching tool.

You can see it with five words entered into Google.

Chemistry teachers use it as a teaching tool.

Another special moment with those students came in the Natural History class.

When it was time for the lecture about Evolutionary Biology, they got it a whole lot faster than the students at the other college.

I think I was just a sentence or to into it.

I said, "All living organisms, every animal, plant, fungus, and microorganism are blood relatives descended from a single common ancestor."

That delighted look was already on everyone's face.

They had never been taught this before as science, but they knew it well as a fundamental truth known for generations.
13-05-2022 10:20
(14373)
squeal over's sock worte:I said, "All living organisms, every animal, plant, fungus, and microorganism are blood relatives descended from a single common ancestor."

If you didn't specify that it was a popular theory, you lied to them and you had no business teaching.

squeal over's sock worte:They had never been taught this before as science,

... because it's not science.

squeal over's sock worte: but they knew it well as a fundamental truth known for generations.

Nope. They did not "know" it because it is not a fundamental truth. It is speculation ... which happens to be your religious faith ... and you seem happy to push it onto captive audiences under the auspices of thettled thienth.

You are evil.

13-05-2022 18:38
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
Into the Night wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Swan wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:Alligators are reptiles,

Did you just learn this? It's what several people have been trying to tell you, but apparently you are a little slow on the uptake.

Swan wrote:not amphibians.

That's what we are trying to determine. We can jump directly to the correct answer by asking if alligators are amphibious.

Are they?

Swan wrote: Using the same logic the AAV7 Amphibious Assault Vehicle is also amphibious but not an amphibian.

When discussing vehicles and not animals, yes, an amphibious vehicle is an amphibian. Don't you speak English? An amphibian is one that is amphibious. Did you never learn that subject-adjective relationship? All nouns that have the "amphibious" modifier are amphibians.

Wait, maybe English wasn't your first language and I'm being unfair. At what age did you migrate to an English speaking country?

Don't worry, we'll walk you through this.

Baby steps.

It's ok as I am accepting your defeat as you now admit that alligators are reptiles now as I have always claimed, and obviously a reptile can not be an amphibian,

False dichotomy fallacy. Many reptiles are amphibians.

What you mean to say is that many reptiles are amphibious, which does not make them an amphibian.

CIAO

"Trump won in a landslide." and alligators ARE amphibians.

Get a clue, moron.

Alligators are amphibious reptiles, not amphibians. If you could converse with the Virginia Russians in the Northwestern federal dialect you would comprehend that.

Silly

Here's is another falsifiable hypothesis.

The first time Parrot Boy asserted that alligators are amphibians, she believed that this is how they are defined in biology textbooks since.... forever.

Not a hypothesis. Biology textbooks do not define the word 'amphibian'.

Wrong again.

An amphibian is any of a group of cold-blooded vertebrate animals (as frogs and toads) that have gills and live in water as larvae but breathe air as adults. Since alligators do not have gills they are not amphibians.

Are you out of KY jelly yet?
13-05-2022 19:31
(21559)
Im a BM wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
sealover wrote:

Dr. Gersper was a soil scientist at UC Berkeley.

He taught the graduate seminar course about how to teach science.

He said to imagine that your target audience is comprised of above average intelligence 7th graders.

Can you make your point in a way that an above average intelligence 7th grader would understand?

He suggested that if we couldn't do that, we had failed to make our point clearly.

But an above average intelligence 7th grader knows that alligators are NOT amphibians.

You can't set the bar TOO low for the target audience.

So, you failed English class, repeatedly... Your articles are written in techno-babble, where only others in that field might follow along. This isn't a university, and no biogeochemist, or even climatologists to be found. Those articles weren't written for this site, and probably no other climate site either. Just articles you scrounged/lifted, to confuse. You figure few would question them, since they make little sense, and no point at all. Doubt seriously you were an educator. lack basic communication skills.

No debating awards but did get one for teaching.

I was never on the debate team. Never won any debates.

I did once upon a time get an award for teaching. 1989.

Let's see... 1999. An actual teacher in college, but not a real professor.

Almost no teaching positions at community colleges want a biogeochemist.

So, I was an adjunct faculty freeway flyer at two community colleges.

They let a biogeochemist teach chemistry, environmental science, and natural history.

One of them was a tiny Native American tribal college.

Barely a hundred students total. Nice small classes for intimate discussion.

On weekends there I got to teach entirely in Spanish to a different group of students.

The other one was HUGE. The single most ethnically diverse community college in all the United States, with a student population the size of small town.

But I never won any debates.

So, I figure a person should choose to do the things that they are best at.

Presuming that they are best at doing something of genuine value.

More fiction. You are a nothing. You deny and discard science and mathematics. You can teach nothing.

The Parrot Killer

13-05-2022 19:33
(21559)
Im a BM wrote:

The Native American students just weren't getting it the first time, when it was time for the lecture about the Periodic Table of Elements.

But the puzzled looks, and the multiple questions revealed they weren't seeing the continuity.

The cultural bias of doing a lot of reading, starting at the top left, going across to the right, and then ASSUMING the continuity to the left end of the next line down.

So, I started to draw a big spiral on the white board with hydrogen at the center.

That's when I got to see a bunch of students at once all get that delighted look of understanding.

A few years later I started working on one at home that could be used as a teaching tool.

When it was time for the lecture about Evolutionary Biology, they got it a whole lot faster than the students at the other college.

I said, "All living organisms, every animal, plant, fungus, and microorganism are blood relatives descended from a single common ancestor."

They had never been taught this before as science, but they knew it well as a fundamental truth known for generations.

Not science. It is a religion.

The Parrot Killer

13-05-2022 19:35
(21559)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Swan wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Did you just learn this? It's what several people have been trying to tell you, but apparently you are a little slow on the uptake.

That's what we are trying to determine. We can jump directly to the correct answer by asking if alligators are amphibious.

Are they?

Swan wrote: Using the same logic the AAV7 Amphibious Assault Vehicle is also amphibious but not an amphibian.

When discussing vehicles and not animals, yes, an amphibious vehicle is an amphibian. Don't you speak English? An amphibian is one that is amphibious. Did you never learn that subject-adjective relationship? All nouns that have the "amphibious" modifier are amphibians.

Wait, maybe English wasn't your first language and I'm being unfair. At what age did you migrate to an English speaking country?

Baby steps.

It's ok as I am accepting your defeat as you now admit that alligators are reptiles now as I have always claimed, and obviously a reptile can not be an amphibian,

What you mean to say is that many reptiles are amphibious, which does not make them an amphibian.

CIAO

Get a clue, moron.

Alligators are amphibious reptiles, not amphibians. If you could converse with the Virginia Russians in the Northwestern federal dialect you would comprehend that.

Silly

The first time Parrot Boy asserted that alligators are amphibians, she believed that this is how they are defined in biology textbooks since.... forever.

Wrong again.

An amphibian is any of a group of cold-blooded vertebrate animals (as frogs and toads) that have gills and live in water as larvae but breathe air as adults. Since alligators do not have gills they are not amphibians.

Gills are not necessary. You still don't understand English. Fish have gills but are not amphibians. Being cold blooded is not necessary.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 13-05-2022 19:39
RE: Periodic Table versus Cyclical Continuum of Elemental Properties13-05-2022 19:35
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
[b]IBdaMann wrote:

Nope. They did not "know" it because it is not a fundamental truth. It is speculation ... which happens to be your religious faith ... and you seem happy to push it onto captive audiences under the auspices of thettled thienth.

You are evil.

Periodic Table versus Cyclical Continuum of Elemental Properties.

The Periodic Table of Elements was invented by two different scientists in two different countries at about the same time, without either of them knowing the other had done it too.

They both had the same disadvantage.

Arranged in tabular form like lines of written text, they showed alkali metals (sodium, potassium, etc.) at the far left, and the noble gases (helium, neon, etc.) at the far right.

This created the visual appearance that alkali metals and noble gases were at the opposite extremes of a gradient or spectrum.

And there were those pesky lanthanides and actinides.

Just to make it fit on one page, they had to put these 30 elements somewhere else.

This creates the visual appearance that there is another spectrum or gradient that is somehow separate from the main body of elements.

They knew that in reality the two groups (alkali metals and halogens) are right next to each other along a continuum of properties, and attempted to display it in different ways.

A flat spiral display with hydrogen at the center, such as the Cyclical Continuum of Elemental Properties, was the first. More than a century and a half before I "invented" it.

One of the two original inventors also made a three dimensional conical figure.

Hydrogen was at the top of the cone, the heaviest elements at the bottom, and a spiral line descended around the cone from top to bottom.

But they lacked a lot of information, such as what were the unique properties of the lanthanides and actinides, and many elements had not been discovered yet.

But the incomplete Periodic Table actually enabled them to PREDICT some of the elements yet to be discovered.

And the difference between iodine and tellurium also revealed something interesting.

Tellurium, Te, and iodine, I, were almost equally heavy.

Tellurium has average atomic mass 127.6, where iodine has 126.9.

Iodine is not as heavy as tellurium, but its chemical properties were like the other halogens (fluorine, chlorine, etc.).

Iodine has atomic number 53, where tellurium is 52.

The heavier element has lower atomic number.

They couldn't arrange the table strictly according to weight, because tellurium was nothing like the halogens in its properties.

So they arranged it according to PROPERTIES rather than weight, and put tellurium ahead of iodine along the continuum.

What the Cyclical Continuum of Elemental Properties has that those first spiral displays more than a century and a half ago did not was newer information that could be displayed visually.

The width of the colored arcs, for each group of elements, represents which electron orbitals are responsible for the distinguishing chemical properties of each group.

The broadest arcs are for those whose characteristic properties arise from electrons is "s" or "p" orbitals. Intermediate width arcs are for those whose identifying properties arise from electrons in "d" orbitals. And the narrowest arcs are for those groups whose distinguishing properties arise from electrons in "f" orbitals.
13-05-2022 20:05
(14373)
Swan wrote:An amphibian is any of a group of cold-blooded vertebrate animals (as frogs and toads) that have gills and live in water as larvae but breathe air as adults.

Wrong again. That is only an arbitrary, and poorly selected, label adopted by you and some others. In English, an amphibian is anything (noun) that has the quality of being amphibious (adjective).

You are incorrect until you fall in line with the English language. You don't get to pick and choose when English applies.

Since alligators are obviously amphibious, they are amphibians. You don't get a say in the matter.

Polar bears are amphibians as well. There is no denying it. You saw the images I posted.

I think you need a few boxes of KY jelly.
13-05-2022 20:08
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Swan wrote:
Im a BM wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Are they?

Baby steps.

CIAO

Get a clue, moron.

Silly

Wrong again.

Gills are not necessary. You still don't understand English. Fish have gills but are not amphibians. Being cold blooded is not necessary.

As always alligators are reptiles not amphibians
13-05-2022 20:16
(14373)
Swan wrote:As always alligators are reptiles not amphibians

As always, you are incorrect because you don't have your KY.

All amphibious animals are amphibians.

Enjoy!

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
13-05-2022 20:37
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:As always alligators are reptiles not amphibians

As always, you are incorrect because you don't have your KY.

All amphibious animals are amphibians.

Enjoy!

People like you actually belong on the government payroll, enjoy dying there having always done what you were told instead of ever doing what was right
13-05-2022 20:47
(14373)
Swan wrote:People like you ...

No way! Nobody likes me ... except for you.

Swan wrote: ... actually belong on the government payroll,

They wouldn't have me. I am always doing the right thing, not simply what I am told.

Swan wrote:having always done what you were told instead of ever doing what was right

You hit the nail on the head as to why I am not on the government payroll.

Now let's talk about how you always OBEY what you are told, even when it's wrong.

At some point, someone told you to ignore the English language and to deny that virtually all amphibious animals are amphibians.

Who, exactly, are you OBEYING when you do that? Are you on the government payroll? Do your moraines know this?
RE: VWR and Sargent Welch no longer carry the poster13-05-2022 21:08
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
IBdaMann wrote:
No way! Nobody likes me

At some point, someone told you to ignore the English language and to deny that virtually all amphibious animals are amphibians.

VWR and Sargent Welch no longer carry the Cyclical Continuum of Elemental Properties poster.

After the first batch ran out, I never got around to getting more made.

Chemistry teachers and chemistry students bought them all up.

Perfectionist plans to improve it got in the way.

Element #112, copernecium, had been officially recognized, and I wanted to include it.

I also wanted to put in a new column to the far left indicating "Periods" for the Periodic Table part of it.

Adding in copernecium 112 would have tied off the last intermediate-width colored arc after mercury, and made the aesthetics of the thing more appealing.

Anyone who desires can PM (private message) me about giveaway of copyrights if they want to try it at home. I'll never get around to publishing more of them.

To PM me, one would have to become a member of this site.
13-05-2022 22:56
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:People like you ...

No way! Nobody likes me ... except for you.

Swan wrote: ... actually belong on the government payroll,

They wouldn't have me. I am always doing the right thing, not simply what I am told.

Swan wrote:having always done what you were told instead of ever doing what was right

You hit the nail on the head as to why I am not on the government payroll.

Now let's talk about how you always OBEY what you are told, even when it's wrong.

Who, exactly, are you OBEYING when you do that? Are you on the government payroll? Do your moraines know this?

I seldom use nails as screws hold better than nails in almost all conceivable situations
RE: Picture at top of page - Google "Cyclical Continuum of Elemental Properties"15-05-2022 23:38
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
People who actually understand chemistry love the picture.

Others who simply enjoy the beauty of patterns in the universe love it too.

Trolls who have joined the Culto de Religion Anti Cientifica are afraid to even look at it.

Don't be afraid. Let me walk you through the hard stuff.

I'm more of a teacher than a debater.

Real science teachers in the real world love my shit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im a BM wrote:

RE: Driftwood - An amphibian with 3 stage life cycle17-05-2022 04:50
Im a BM
★★★☆☆
(595)
Imagine the difficulty of the biology instructor.

A student is stubbornly insisting that alligators are amphibians.

He won't shut up about it.

According to this sub average student's definition, driftwood is an amphibian.

An amphibian with a three stage life cycle. Born on land, goes out to sea later in life, then completes its life cycle by returning to be on land.

What can a teacher do when the student is unteachable?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Into the Night wrote:
[quote].
17-05-2022 09:43
(14373)
Im a BM wrote:Imagine the difficulty of the biology instructor.

... with such a poor command of the English language, because he conflates a biology textbook with a grammar textbook, that his understanding of biology amounts to a belief that amphibious characteristics preclude an animal from being an amphibian.

Such a biology instructor is probably about to be fired for the third time this month and is probably looking at native American reservations as a potential final resort for holding down a job. So yeah, such a biology instructor has issues, that's for sure.

Im a BM wrote:A student is trying to explain that alligators are amphibians.because they are obviously amphibious ... and all of the other instructors say that that is how the English language works. In fact, on a recent English exam, explains the student, one of the questions was "What is the noun for an animal that is amphibious?" and the correct answer is "amphibian."

Of course the student is correct. The instructor has real issues if he needs for the students to teach the class.

It's looking like reservation time.

17-05-2022 17:16
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
Im a BM wrote:
Now that I have been doxed

It is not doxing when you willingly put the information out there.

Don't worry, I doubt that anyone wants to go anywhere THAT close to Sacramento anyway... Liberals have completely ruined what was once a great state. Now it's an authoritarian hellhole... the SDTC, as ITN now calls it...
18-05-2022 02:37
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
IBdaMann wrote:

... with such a poor command of the English language, because he conflates a biology textbook with a grammar textbook, that his understanding of biology amounts to a belief that amphibious characteristics preclude an animal from being an amphibian.

Such a biology instructor is probably about to be fired for the third time this month and is probably looking at native American reservations as a potential final resort for holding down a job. So yeah, such a biology instructor has issues, that's for sure.

Im a BM wrote:A student is trying to explain that alligators are amphibians.because they are obviously amphibious ... and all of the other instructors say that that is how the English language works. In fact, on a recent English exam, explains the student, one of the questions was "What is the noun for an animal that is amphibious?" and the correct answer is "amphibian."

Of course the student is correct. The instructor has real issues if he needs for the students to teach the class.

Too bad that no one else on Earth believes that an alligator is an amphibian.
18-05-2022 05:42
(14373)
Swan wrote:Too bad that no one else on Earth believes that an alligator is an amphibian.

Fortunately, all English speakers understand that all amphibious animals are amphibians.

You should give English a try.
Attached image:

18-05-2022 05:55
James_
★★★★★
(2148)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:Too bad that no one else on Earth believes that an alligator is an amphibian.

Fortunately, all English speakers understand that all amphibious animals are amphibians.

I love your padded walls. When you say
"all English speakers understand that all amphibious animals are amphibians.",
There's Toad the Wet Sprocket (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12bM1CqHoBY) and amphibians. We know that an amphibian absorbs oxygen through its skin. What we don't know is if Toad the Wet Sprocket does.
And is it the breathable skin of the amphibian that separates it from both fish and mammalian species? It's skin absorbs oxygen in the water while not filtering water like a fish. Kind of basic information everyone knows.
Edited on 18-05-2022 05:57
18-05-2022 06:28
(14373)
James_ wrote:We know that an amphibian absorbs oxygen through its skin.

Nope. Polar bears, penguins, otters, alligators, ducks, geese, ... and many other amphibious animals do not absorb oxygen through their skin.

Kind of basic information everyone knows.

As an added bonus, I thought I would post a picture of a very amphibious otter not absorbing oxygen through its skin. Enjoy!

18-05-2022 07:06
James_
★★★★★
(2148)
I am so proud of you son. Your disinformation would make your mother proud.
With amphibians, they breathe through their skin. It's like marsupials have a pouch.

IBdaMann wrote:
James_ wrote:We know that an amphibian absorbs oxygen through its skin.

Nope. Polar bears, penguins, otters, alligators, ducks, geese, ... and many other amphibious animals do not absorb oxygen through their skin.

Kind of basic information everyone knows.

As an added bonus, I thought I would post a picture of a very amphibious otter not absorbing oxygen through its skin. Enjoy!

Attached image:

18-05-2022 18:54
(21559)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

You don't get to speak for everyone. You only get to speak for you. Omniscience fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

18-05-2022 18:58
(21559)
James_ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

I love your padded walls. When you say
"all English speakers understand that all amphibious animals are amphibians.",
There's Toad the Wet Sprocket (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12bM1CqHoBY) and amphibians. We know that an amphibian absorbs oxygen through its skin. What we don't know is if Toad the Wet Sprocket does.
And is it the breathable skin of the amphibian that separates it from both fish and mammalian species? It's skin absorbs oxygen in the water while not filtering water like a fish. Kind of basic information everyone knows.

You don't get to speak for everyone. You only get to speak for you. Omniscience fallacy.
Your own lack of knowledge of English has become only too obvious.

Anything amphibious is an amphibian. I have already given you the etymology on how these words are defined.

The Parrot Killer

18-05-2022 20:23
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
IBdaMann wrote:

Nope since alligators are reptiles not amphibians, except in your little world where you are the king
18-05-2022 20:53
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

But alligators are still reptiles and not amphibians. However only people with an IQ of 100 or better can understand that not everything that is amphibious is an amphibian.
18-05-2022 22:10
(14373)
Swan wrote:However only people with an IQ of 100 or better can understand that not everything that is amphibious is an amphibian.

People with an IQ below 27 probably will not understand that all animals that are amphibian/amphibious are amphibians, and they will likely also believe that their own IQ is actually over 130.

Enjoy!

19-05-2022 00:09
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:However only people with an IQ of 100 or better can understand that not everything that is amphibious is an amphibian.

People with an IQ below 27 probably will not understand that all animals that are amphibian/amphibious are amphibians, and they will likely also believe that their own IQ is actually over 130.

Enjoy!

Seals and sea lions are also not amphibians.
19-05-2022 02:32
(21559)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

But alligators are still reptiles and not amphibians.

You already said this. Argument by repetition. They are both.
Swan wrote:
However only people with an IQ of 100 or better can understand that not everything that is amphibious is an amphibian.
IQ is a meaningless number. Argument from randU fallacy.

You don't understand English. It's obvious.

The Parrot Killer

19-05-2022 02:32
(21559)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Enjoy!

Seals and sea lions are also not amphibians.

Yes they are.

The Parrot Killer

19-05-2022 03:39
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5696)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

But alligators are still reptiles and not amphibians.

You already said this. Argument by repetition. They are both.
Swan wrote:
However only people with an IQ of 100 or better can understand that not everything that is amphibious is an amphibian.
IQ is a meaningless number. Argument from randU fallacy.

You don't understand English. It's obvious.

Indeed an IQ is a meaningless number to the morons who are too dumb to be tested, like you are.

Got references in both high and low places
Edited on 19-05-2022 03:53
19-05-2022 04:17
(14373)
Swan wrote:Seals and sea lions are also not amphibians.

Did you miss the images showing that they are clearly amphibian?

You can clearly see in these images above that sea lions are amphibian.
Attached image:

19-05-2022 04:25
(14373)
Swan wrote:Indeed an IQ is a meaningless number to the morons who are too dumb to be tested, like you are.

Got references in both high and low places

I got tested too. My IQ is 566. It explains why I never lose debates.

QUESTION: What do you call knowing everything by age 10?
ANSWER: IBDaMann getting off to a slow start.

Don't be afraid to come to me with the hard stuff.
Attached image:

Page 4 of 8<<<23456>>>

Join the debate Tell your old college professors to check out climate-debate.com for biogeochemistry:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Biogeochemistry Debunked2121-06-2023 22:46
What is Biogeochemistry?7207-06-2023 02:20
You work hard, to get your kids in college...1324-06-2019 23:01
Reality check: Maxime Bernier says CO2 isn't a pollutant. Climate scientists say he's wrong024-02-2019 04:38
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact