Remember me
▼ Content

Tangier Island , should it be used as an example?

Page 7 of 8<<<5678>
18-08-2019 22:45
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
keepit wrote:
I don't buy into any of that last post.

Then you need to start at ground zero...
what is science and what gives a person "scientist" credentials?

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
Edited on 18-08-2019 22:45
18-08-2019 22:54
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
I don't need to start at ground zero.
That wouldn't be sound thinking.
Science is sound thinking about natural phenomena.
19-08-2019 01:25
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14373)
keepit wrote: I don't buy into any of that last post.

There's a word for that: "denial."

If it makes you feel better, crank up the denial until you become comfortably numb.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
19-08-2019 09:24
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
keepit wrote:
I don't think i have to classify it. I'll just describe what it does. With the help of wiki.
Really, i read books and i listen to DVD's and when i want a good summary i go to wiki.

Wikipedia is not a valid reference. They only preach the doctrine of the Church of Global Warming. They deny both science and mathematics.
keepit wrote:
Hundreds, maybe thousands of times, there has never been a significant discrepancy.

That's because if nothing else, the Church of Global Warming is consistent.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
19-08-2019 09:28
(21559)
keepit wrote:
IBDM,
The books and DVDs were written by big time scientists, not wiki.

Climate 'scientists' aren't. They deny science and mathematics. Science isn't scientists or books. It is a set of falsifiable theories.
keepit wrote:
Wiki gave the same info. It wasn't the other way around.

Same doctrine, written by the same religion.
keepit wrote:
I guess wiki got its info indirectly from the people that wrote the books and dvds.

Possibly, but it makes little difference.
keepit wrote:
To think that thousands of scientists have conspired to make false scientific claims doesn't make sense to me.

They are not scientists. They deny science and mathematics.
keepit wrote:
It's like claiming that hundreds of NASA scientists conspired to make fake video productions of Neil and Buzz landing on the moon.

Not at all. We went to the Moon. False equivalence fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
19-08-2019 09:29
(21559)
keepit wrote:
IBDM,
I use the books and DVDs and wiki to formulate my opinions. I don't agree that wiki is full of errors, not even close.

Because you are illiterate. You deny the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law. You deny statistical mathematics.

The Parrot Killer

19-08-2019 09:33
(21559)
tmiddles wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Marxism involves a mindset that encourages the projection of one's desires/wishes onto others,

I know you're very pro individual freedom/power and minimized government authoritarianism/control and I respect that.

Lie. You don't.
tmiddles wrote:
I think there needs to be a very high bar for government authoritarian force and management.

Lie. You think government should control everything.
tmiddles wrote:
A high bar being measured as the importance/cost. When there is a minimal cost to the citizen the importance doesn't have to be extreme, like a littering law. When the cost is high the importance has to be very high, like the draft during war.

Non-sequitur fallacy.
tmiddles wrote:
I think that a reasonable approach to something related to this topic would be leaded gasoline. We had it, used it for quite a while, and then phased it out, per government regulation, because it wasn't a good deal in the cost/benefit analysis.

WRONG. Loaded gasoline was cost effective. That's why we used it.
tmiddles wrote:
To advocate that the government should never do anything is a very radical point of view unsupported by any examples in known human history I'm aware of.

False dichotomy fallacy. He is not arguing for an anarchy.

The Parrot Killer

19-08-2019 09:34
(21559)
tmiddles wrote:
keepit wrote:
The melting is not "well".
We're ruining our planet with pollutants and CO2.
The river (ocean), she's a rising.
The flooding will cause extreme hardship.

The current climate model used by those concerned about CO2 shows that there was an ice age 12500 years ago and that we've been getting warmer, with ice melting, for that entire time. If you look at the temperature records used it shows that temperatures increased as much from 1880 to 1930 as they have in that past 50 years. So what caused the increase then? Was it a crisis then as well?

How do you know there was an ice age 12500 years ago? Were you there?

There are no temperature records of the Earth.

The Parrot Killer

19-08-2019 09:35
(21559)
keepit wrote:
tmid,
i don't know what caused specific increases in temp. I'm pretty sure that the anthropogenic CO2 is causing a short term increase in temp that is much faster than long term decreases in temp from earth's natural cycles.
It is the short term increase that will overcome any SLOW long term trends.

I guess your Holy Entrails is not as good as his.

The Parrot Killer

19-08-2019 09:37
(21559)
keepit wrote:
I think the long term trend is to lower temps (as per claims in the 1970's) but the short term trend per year (much greater than the long term trend per year) is toward warmer temps. You can see it in the northern sea ice and in the shrinking glaciers.
The short term trend is due to anthropogencic CO2.

Polar winter ice extent is larger than last years.
What about the advancing glaciers?

The Parrot Killer

19-08-2019 09:37
(21559)
tmiddles wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
Was there a massive release of CO2 a hundred years ago, that caused the huge spike in heat waves?

I think there are two approaches here:

1- obsess on the accuracy of the data used

2- set that aside and look at the argument made first

I think we can and should do both.

So just accepting all of the data with no margin of error the argument for CO2 based anthropogenic warming as the problem that was the reason for this topic in the first place. Clearly there is warming that is NOT due to CO2 levels.

As the climate history also accepted within the argument shows that we have had rising temperatures for the past 12000 years since the last ice age, the question very naturally is what increase is being attributed to CO2 and what increase would be there otherwise. But I never see this parsed out.

I do think it's fair to say that in the graph below the correlation ends when CO2 spikes:

Argument from randU. This data is manufactured.

The Parrot Killer

19-08-2019 09:39
(21559)
keepit wrote:
I don't know if it is all caused by CO2 but i know, or think i know, that CO2 slows the movement of thermal energy back into outer space thus causing an increase in global temp. You don't have to measure the temp, you know it is a consequence of increased CO2 conc. and you know that we burning a lot of fossil fuels and that never took place in previous times.

Not possible. Thermal energy does not go to outer space.

* You can't trap light.

The Parrot Killer

19-08-2019 09:40
(21559)
keepit wrote:
The innumerable scientists that have written books and DVD's that are very much in agreement with each other are hard to deny without adequate proof
The fact that wiki is indirectly mirroring their writings doesn't make wiki inaccurate.
When you have a bunch of scientists in agreement about something it doesn't seem valid to me to say they are full of it without proof and corrobaration.

The doctrine of the Church of Global Warming is very consistent.
Climate 'scientists' deny science and mathematics. Argument from randU fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

19-08-2019 09:41
(21559)
tmiddles wrote:
keepit wrote:
The innumerable scientists that have written books and DVD's that are very much in agreement

But pretend for a moment that you're a real expert, teaching at College X. You think they've got it all wrong. If you come out and say so what happens to you socially and professionally? Does the current culture accept scientists who are "Climate Deniers"?

Think back to McCarthyism. I'm sure that the many many people in positions of expertise who knew that the Red Scare was BS and a horribly mismanaged disaster where silent out of self interest.

If they deny the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics or the Stefan-Boltzmann law, they are wrong, no matter who they are.

The Parrot Killer

19-08-2019 09:43
(21559)
keepit wrote:
When wiki is in agreement with the professional books and dvd's so many times, i just trust it.
I don't think it should be dismissed summarily without a LOT of evidence.

Not a valid source. You can't use it as a source.

* It is incomplete.
* Articles are badly written.
* It is biased.
* The same religion that produced your books and DVDs is also the same religion that wrote the Wikipedia articles concerning 'global warming'.

Define 'global warming'.
Define 'climate change'.

The Parrot Killer

19-08-2019 09:44
(21559)
keepit wrote:
McCarthyism was politics. Science is much more credible. Scientists like to make corrections. In politics that is not so true.

You are not using science. You are using religion. Do not confuse science with religion.

The Parrot Killer

19-08-2019 09:45
(21559)
keepit wrote:
The professional scientific publications came before the wiki summaries, not after.
And i don't believe you believe some of the things you just said.

Science isn't a magazine or publication. Science is a set of falsifiable theories.

The Parrot Killer

19-08-2019 09:47
(21559)
keepit wrote:
IBDM,
The part about the scientists being political activists was the one that got me the most.
The biggest scientific project, the Large Hadron Collider has something like 8000 scientists and engineers working on it. I don't think they are political activists, at least in their science

False equivalence fallacy. Climate scientists deny science and mathematics.

The Parrot Killer

19-08-2019 09:47
(21559)
keepit wrote:
I don't buy into any of that last post.

Tell us something we don't already know.

The Parrot Killer

19-08-2019 10:06
tmiddlesProfile picture★★★★★
(3979)
Into the Night wrote:
keepit wrote:
IBDM,
The part about the scientists being political activists was the one that got me the most.
The biggest scientific project, the Large Hadron Collider has something like 8000 scientists and engineers working on it. I don't think they are political activists, at least in their science

I would propose this: Lying has a motive. It's like an intellectual crime. People don't lie for no reason even if they have convinced themselves it's not a lie.

A professional working in any field may have motivations in some areas of what they do, which could be an incentive to lie, but will doubtless have many other areas of their job with no preferences at all whether A or B is true.

I think it's very fair to assume that even a corrupt liar isn't lying about things where they don't have a preference.

So a scientist studying quarks will genuinely have no motive in much of what they do to be biased and lie (assuming they didn't write a paper claiming to know what the outcome of an experiment would be).

But that same scientist can be under tremendous pressure, both internal and external, to have the answer to a different question come out a particular way.

Also there is lying overtly, and there is lying by omission.

We should expect bias always and ask how it's effecting things not if it's there.
Edited on 19-08-2019 10:07
19-08-2019 15:48
(14373)
tmiddles wrote:So a scientist studying quarks will genuinely have no motive in much of what they do to be biased and lie (assuming they didn't write a paper claiming to know what the outcome of an experiment would be).

So a political activist would have every motive in the book to lie to people about everything and to falsely claim to be "a scientist" just to give the false appearance of authority and neutrality, knowing that gullible people will buy the "scientist" act hook, line and sinker and will cognitively surrender from the bluff alone.

tmiddles wrote: But that same scientist can be under tremendous pressure, both internal and external, to have the answer to a different question come out a particular way.

That same political activist might be under tremendous pressure to meet a quota to get people registered for a political party, organization or event and might resort to instilling fear and panic to reach the desired numbers within the time allotted.

tmiddles wrote:Also there is lying overtly, and there is lying by omission.

Political activists do both.

tmiddles wrote:We should expect bias always and ask how it's effecting things not if it's there.

Exactly. When someone claims to be a scientist, there is absolutely no excuse for physics violations to be issuing from his mouth (or keyboard). This is one way to instantly spot a lying political activist ... which might be a bit redundant.

This brings me to topic of the numerous political activists in my experience that have posted on this forum and on others, claiming to be neutral scientists. I do not take long to ascertain their scientific illiteracy and to call them on it. Their reaction is always the same, i.e. to get pissy in a "you ruined it for me!" manner.

If they try to claim to be engineers, Into the Night is all over them in a heartbeat. The point is that Global Warming draws the political activists out of the woodwork claiming to be scientists. You have to be gullible to buy it because all believers in Global Warming or in Climate Change or in Greenhouse Effect are either scientifically illiterate or are flat out science deniers. All of them. If you fall for the "I'm a scientist and Global Warming is REAL" line then count yourself as gullible.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
19-08-2019 17:24
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5193)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-zSlhWk3-w

What about Bill Nye, the mechanical engineer/TV 'science' guy? Never watch the show, so not sure if he ever claimed to be scientist, but probably didn't clarify the issue...

I don't think a college degree, is what it really takes, to define who is, and isn't a scientist. There probably some that have the paper, and totally clueless about most things science. And, there are likely a whole lot of people, self taught, or in a club or group, that actually know quite a lot.
Edited on 19-08-2019 17:37
19-08-2019 18:35
(14373)
HarveyH55 wrote:

What about Bill Nye, the mechanical engineer/TV 'science' guy? Never watch the show, so not sure if he ever claimed to be scientist, but probably didn't clarify the issue...

I don't think a college degree, is what it really takes, to define who is, and isn't a scientist. There probably some that have the paper, and totally clueless about most things science. And, there are likely a whole lot of people, self taught, or in a club or group, that actually know quite a lot.

Bill Nye wants attention. He's just like Jim Carrey.

19-08-2019 18:44
(21559)
tmiddles wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
keepit wrote:
IBDM,

I would propose this: Lying has a motive. It's like an intellectual crime. People don't lie for no reason even if they have convinced themselves it's not a lie.

A professional working in any field may have motivations in some areas of what they do, which could be an incentive to lie, but will doubtless have many other areas of their job with no preferences at all whether A or B is true.

I think it's very fair to assume that even a corrupt liar isn't lying about things where they don't have a preference.

So a scientist studying quarks will genuinely have no motive in much of what they do to be biased and lie (assuming they didn't write a paper claiming to know what the outcome of an experiment would be).

But that same scientist can be under tremendous pressure, both internal and external, to have the answer to a different question come out a particular way.

Also there is lying overtly, and there is lying by omission.

We should expect bias always and ask how it's effecting things not if it's there.

Climate 'scientists' have a reason to lie. It's their whole career at stake. They CHOSE to become high priests of the Church of Global Warming.

Scientists (not including climate 'scientists') also have reason to lie. They are paid by government grants. Those grants come with the Church of Global Warming string attached. If they don't support the Church of Global Warming, they don't get paid. They don't get their grants.

Then some scientists simply believe it. It's their religion, just like Christianity is the religion of many scientists. That religion colors everything they do, and they can often wind up leaping to conclusions.

However, when someone says <insert large number here> scientists agree on 'global warming', that is making an argument from randU fallacy. They are making up numbers.

The Parrot Killer

19-08-2019 18:47
(21559)
IBdaMann wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Bill Nye wants attention. He's just like Jim Carrey.

But not as funny.

The Parrot Killer

19-08-2019 19:10
(14373)
Into the Night wrote:But not as funny.

Actually, he is just as unfunny as Jim Carrey when discussing politics.

19-08-2019 20:41
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
The 8000 scientists and engineer that work on the Large Hadron Collider aren't full of beans. If they were the machine wouldn't work.
19-08-2019 20:55
(14373)
keepit wrote: The 8000 scientists and engineer that work on the Large Hadron Collider aren't full of beans. If they were the machine wouldn't work.

... and they are completely irrelevant to your point. I explained this in a previous post:

IBdaMann wrote:
keepit wrote:
8000 researchers and engineers working on a project that has to go fairly well.
It wouldn't go fairly well if it was based on baloney the 8000 researchers had conjured up to fool people.

You have officially strayed from your point.

You were claiming that no articles incorporated into Wikipedia were written by political activists, and you even pretended to be miffed that I would refer to political activists as "political activists" ... and then you pointed to some scientists and insisted they were scientists, as though that somehow transforms political activists into scientists.

The answer is "no."

19-08-2019 20:58
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
It's my point IBDM. I get to say what the implications are. You can refute the implications if you want.
19-08-2019 21:31
(21559)
keepit wrote:
It's my point IBDM. I get to say what the implications are. You can refute the implications if you want.

Comparing two unrelated groups is your point???

You're lost, dude.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 19-08-2019 21:31
19-08-2019 21:36
(3979)
Into the Night wrote:
Then some scientists simply believe it. It's their religion, just like Christianity is the religion of many scientists.

Being uncomfortable with the truth can be a powerful motive to lie.
19-08-2019 21:39
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
I guess my point to you ITN is that you substitute name calling and false accusation for sensible conversation.
19-08-2019 22:08
(21559)
keepit wrote:
I guess my point to you ITN is that you substitute name calling and false accusation for sensible conversation.

I have accused you of nothing other than being a Marxist, which you freely admitted to.
I have called you no names. But I will this time, dumbass.

Contextomy fallacy. Argument of the Stone fallacy. Bulverism fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 19-08-2019 22:09
19-08-2019 22:18
(14373)
keepit wrote: It's my point IBDM. I get to say what the implications are. You can refute the implications if you want.

Is that not what I did?

28-06-2020 18:50
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Again and again I ask .where is the sea level changing.It is not happening here
28-06-2020 18:54
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
In my plumbing store in Fremantle there is a photo of the harbour dated 1868 and the sea level is in exactly the same place today.Do what I did go and have a look.I do not need some pratt from thousands of miles away telling me the sea has gone up 200mm when it has not
29-06-2020 00:05
(14373)
duncan61 wrote:
In my plumbing store in Fremantle there is a photo of the harbour dated 1868 and the sea level is in exactly the same place today.Do what I did go and have a look.I do not need some pratt from thousands of miles away telling me the sea has gone up 200mm when it has not

Can you make a copy of that photo and then go out with your camera and replicate that photo today from the same angle?

That would be GOLD! You could singlehandedly kill Global Warming in one fell swoop. You would lay the entire global conversation to rest!

Allow me to add that there would be a Climate-Debate trophy involved. Absolutely.

Edited on 29-06-2020 00:07
05-07-2020 09:49
(14373)
@ tmiddles, we are approaching your one year anniversary of joining us here at Climate-Debate. July 7th is the day. Mark it on your calendar.

Let's reflect back on those early days:

tmiddles wrote: Wouldn't this contradict an actual greenhouse? It's hot air who's thermal energy is being held within the space (green house or atmosphere). Light isn't being trapped, but the heat is being held. It's energy from the sun and so it's not being created just stored a bit longer.

tmiddles wrote:The greenhouse effect is not blocking light, or reflecting light back in towards the earth. It's simply holding onto a bit more thermal energy longer that would otherwise escape sooner.

tmiddles wrote: Do you believe in sweaters? Semantic games are waste of everyone's time too. Thermal energy storage is real enough to not bother another mention.

It's interesting that you thought you could get away with claiming that you were never discussing thermal energy since it was exactly what you came here to preach.

tmiddles wrote:If you argue that the greenhouse effect is a myth you're wasting everyone's time.

... and one full year after making this stupid claim you still haven't unambiguously defined Greenhouse Effect such that it doesn't violate physics. Let's revisit your first stab at defining Climate. It was precious:

tmiddles wrote:Oh and I can help you with "Climate", it's defined as the weather, which is the temperature, precipitation/humidity, and wind. So now you know!
Of course we're mainly talking about the temperature as people usually are when discussing the weather. But come on man. I didn't even need a dictionary for that.

Too funny!

... and who can forget this gem given in response to James__ politely explaining how the Inverse Square law explains why planets that are farther away from the sun are colder than planets closer to the sun:

tmiddles wrote:[Venus] is MUCH HOTTER, as in higher in temperature, than the inverse square would give you due to it's atmosphere.

Do you remember when you were projecting your true vision of science? How science is really just you and your other superhero friends on the Justice League saving the planet with your omniscience? It was quite a revealing moment:

tmiddles wrote:Science can measure things very competently. They are really doing amazing work. Look at all the incredible technology we have! Science is not as pathetic and useless as you seem to make it out to be.

Good times!

Edited on 05-07-2020 09:52
05-07-2020 09:57
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBDM, is there a celebration planned? July 7 is better than July 6. If you're alive on July 7, it should matter just as, not sure on this one. Joining this forum is pretty much a mistake сынь.
05-07-2020 10:57
(3979)
IBdaMann wrote:Good times!
Glad you're enjoying yourself.

I notice you have not responded to topic at hand:
https://www.climate-debate.com/forum/venus-is-hotter-than-mercury--d6-e2710-s920.php#post_59167
Edited on 05-07-2020 11:57
Page 7 of 8<<<5678>

Join the debate Tangier Island , should it be used as an example?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
How climate change is sinking an Indian island.317-03-2019 21:17
Stream of thought poem re: London snow storms/Garbage Island002-02-2019 13:41
COP21 - Political Fantasy Island206-12-2015 02:11
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact