Remember me
▼ Content

Solution to Methane problem as well as oil spills (A novel way to clean oceans)

Solution to Methane problem as well as oil spills (A novel way to clean oceans)01-12-2015 09:30
RightIdea
☆☆☆☆☆
(4)
I propose a method of distributing bacteria in the Arctic Ocean and in lakes and ponds worldwide in order to devour the fast increasing atmospheric methane and carbon dioxide eruptions there. I believe it is vitally important that we begin mass seeding of the northern reaches of the Gulf Stream east and west of Svalbard and in the permafrost lakes in Canada, Alaska and Siberia with symbiotic or other bacteria so they can begin the vital work of destroying the methane and carbon dioxide in the Arctic water system It is critical for us to stop the methane reaching the atmosphere, either in the water using symbiotic or other bacteria or underground by de-pressuring the methane accumulated there, so that the atmosphere has time to decompose the methane that it already contains (over about 15 years).

A possible floating or sinking system for disposing the symbiotic bacteria in the Arctic Ocean is shown in the attached figure. This is free oceanic methane reaction chamber (FOMARC) made of clear silica glass about the size from a light bulb. It will contain a spring of tungsten to act as one source for making the required tungsten enzymes, but by mixing other tungsten compounds (such at tungsten oxide?) with the symbiotic bacteria there should be sufficient tungsten present in the methane saturated water to allow the required methane decomposition reactions to proceed. It may be possible to get the companies that previously made tungsten lightbulbs to retool their factories so that these reaction chambers can be manufactured in their billions. These FOMARCs can then be used to seed the Gulf Stream east and west of Svalbard at the ice front with your symbiotic bacteria and the methane eruption torches in the Eurasian Basin and Laptev Sea as soon as the Arctic Ice cap there melts back (starting after the summer this year). Broken FOMARCs will fall to the sea floor and become part of the silica radiolarian sands there and will help spread the symbiotic bacteria on the sea floor surface throughout the Arctic. Where the FOMARCs come in contact with large methane eruption torches released by decomposing subsea methane hydrates they may be raised up to the surface but will then subside when they have passed over the vent area.The FOMARCs could also become part of circulating water convection cells set up by the rising methane bubble streams from very active vent regions.

My original idea in simple words is that there should be tubes containing microbes. It is to stress here that these microbes won't leak outside the tubes. The water containing methane will pass into the tubes and the water without methane will pass out. The microbes will act on methane in the tubes. No leakage of microbes outside. This method will comprise of putting tubes in the ocean and cleaning the ocean without any side effects. These tubes will be later withdrawn from the ocean.

It can also be used to clear oil spills. In which case the tubes will contain microbes which act on oil. Oil and water from ocean will pass inside the tubes and the water will pass out without oil. The microbes will consume oil. No side effects. We won't be adding anything to the ocean. We will put the tubes and later withdraw them.
01-12-2015 15:48
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
Not great at science at school were you.
Edited on 01-12-2015 15:49
01-12-2015 21:04
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
RightIdea wrote:I propose a method of distributing bacteria in the Arctic Ocean and in lakes and ponds worldwide in order to devour the fast increasing atmospheric methane and carbon dioxide eruptions there.

The implication that we should be panicking over methane in our oceans is absurd. There is no methane problem.

The ocean fixes many much larger-scale issues naturally every day. It's one powerful ocean we have. It doesn't need our help for something as insignificant as methane.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
02-12-2015 00:44
still learning
★★☆☆☆
(244)
RightIdea wrote:
It is to stress here that these microbes won't leak outside the tubes. The water containing methane will pass into the tubes and the water without methane will pass out.

Why would anyone care about methanotrophic microbes leaking out? They're already around.

Of possible interest/laughs see http://envisionation.co.uk/index.php/sev-clarke
and see http://geo-engineering.blogspot.com/search/label/Sev%20Clarke

Note that included in the geo-engineering.blogspot page is "...It is proposed that there be modelling, and subsequent testing, to establish optimal parameters for...."

So many schemes that some folks think look good on paper fail when actually tested.
Edited on 02-12-2015 01:00

Join the debate Solution to Methane problem as well as oil spills (A novel way to clean oceans):

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Climate Change + Pandemic + Gun Rocket War + Economy Money = Divine World Solution028-12-2023 05:09
Offshore wind projects face economic storm. Cancellations jeopardize Biden clean energy goals705-11-2023 20:41
methane leak303-08-2023 20:33
METHANE-TRACKING SATELLITES130-05-2023 22:50
How Big Oil Companies Tried To Hide Climate Change From the Public For Decades - THE BIG COVER-UP123-04-2023 08:28
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact