Remember me
▼ Content

Shipping Fuel Tax Levies - is $250-$300 per ton enough?

Shipping Fuel Tax Levies - is $250-$300 per ton enough?12-10-2020 17:16
treebeard
☆☆☆☆☆
(2)
The Global Maritime Forum recently discussed a carbon shipping fuel levy. Trafigura oil chief Jose Larocca called for a carbon levy on shipping fuel of $250-$300 per ton. I'm very cynical of oil chief motivations for green regulations but is $300 realistic or is there something else going on here? The only other thing I could find was an ICS recommendation of $2 a tonne. By comparison this is much bigger which makes me question if its real.

Also I'm only talking about shipping fuel levies - of course we should have carbon levies in general but I don't want this discussion to move away from what's actually been put forward.
12-10-2020 19:11
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5193)
treebeard wrote:
The Global Maritime Forum recently discussed a carbon shipping fuel levy. Trafigura oil chief Jose Larocca called for a carbon levy on shipping fuel of $250-$300 per ton. I'm very cynical of oil chief motivations for green regulations but is $300 realistic or is there something else going on here? The only other thing I could find was an ICS recommendation of $2 a tonne. By comparison this is much bigger which makes me question if its real.

Also I'm only talking about shipping fuel levies - of course we should have carbon levies in general but I don't want this discussion to move away from what's actually been put forward.

How many gallons of diesel is in a ton? I work in a huge warehouse, and we something like 26 similar, across the country. We have a hefty fuel bill as it is. Each division in our company, has a budget, and fuel eats up a big part of it. Every time crap happens, that raise fuel cost significantly, it puts a hurting on our business. Like how many new batteries, we get to buy for the forklifts, and other power equipment. Suck to have a dead battery, and there aren't any charged and ready. Also sucks, to uses bad batteries for a while, that don't last more than a couple hours, if lucky. It also effects things like our 401k match, since the divisions that went over budget, take it out of the profits, the company match is based on. ObamaCare pretty much killed the good matches, basically, the only honor their promise that it would be at least dollar for dollar. Would a democrat-tax make more sense, than a carbon-tax. They are the only ones all panicky and hysterical about all this crap. I like a warmer climate, so I moved to Florida. I also like food on my table, and more CO2, really helps the food plants grow, so cattle can graze, and I can have a nice thick, ribeye steak.
12-10-2020 19:53
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
HarveyH55 wrote:
treebeard wrote:

How many gallons of diesel is in a ton?

No 2 diesel oil or kerosene both have about the same density (7 lbs per gallon). One ton is approximately 285 gallons.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
13-10-2020 12:10
treebeard
☆☆☆☆☆
(2)
Thanks Parrot Killer. I make that about 87c to $1.05 per gallon then. I don't know about shipping but at the gas pump that would be quite a lot!
13-10-2020 12:13
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
treebeard wrote:
Thanks Parrot Killer. I make that about 87c to $1.05 per gallon then. I don't know about shipping but at the gas pump that would be quite a lot!

Nope. That's CHEAP. You are forgetting that the value of money has fallen considerably.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan

Join the debate Shipping Fuel Tax Levies - is $250-$300 per ton enough?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Using fossil fuel is mass murder.!?3304-02-2024 08:12
Fossil Fuel Substitution for reduced emission of CO2, mercury, lead, arsenic, cadmium..39201-12-2023 21:58
World Reliance on Fuel Derived from the Ground.3420-10-2022 04:00
fossil fuel1313-01-2021 09:35
fossil fuel4430-12-2020 05:34
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact