Remember me
▼ Content

Sea level rise due to thermal expansion, scare or scare not

Sea level rise due to thermal expansion, scare or scare not05-01-2016 20:42
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
The sea is very deep, thousands of meters deep. If global air temperature increases by 3 C globally, by how much would global sea temperature increase by?

Since the southern hemisphere is far warmer year round compared to the northern hemisphere, global air temperature swings by about 3 C between summer and winter, and that never causes any significant change in sea level.

As an experiment, I heated a cup of water in the microwave oven from about 20 C to about 80 C and I did not observe any noticeable change in water level.
Edited on 05-01-2016 20:47
05-01-2016 21:12
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
The sea is very deep, thousands of meters deep. If global air temperature increases by 3 C globally, by how much would global sea temperature increase by?

Since the southern hemisphere is far warmer year round compared to the northern hemisphere, global air temperature swings by about 3 C between summer and winter, and that never causes any significant change in sea level.

As an experiment, I heated a cup of water in the microwave oven from about 20 C to about 80 C and I did not observe any noticeable change in water level.

If there was such an expansion, ocean currents would radically change as the seasons progressed, due to the the ocean sloshing back and forth between the northern and southern hemispheres. That doesn't happen.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
05-01-2016 21:37
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
The sea has thousands of times the mass of the lower troposphere. If the lower troposphere heats up by 3 C globally, the sea likely heats up by no more than 0.1 C globally by conduction.
05-01-2016 22:00
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
The sea has thousands of times the mass of the lower troposphere. If the lower troposphere heats up by 3 C globally, the sea likely heats up by no more than 0.1 C globally by conduction.

As far as mean temperature, the sea heats (and cools) the air, not the other way around. The sea is far better at converting energy from the sun into thermal energy than the troposphere is. It's far better at holding that energy through the night too.

The effect of the sea is to cool the day and warm the night.

Heating the sea solely by conduction from the troposphere is like shooting BB's at a large rock, except that in this case the rock shoots back.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan

Join the debate Sea level rise due to thermal expansion, scare or scare not:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Actor Jamie Foxx is now blind and paralyzed due to the covid vaccine that he was forced to take1011-02-2024 01:28
The Lake Mead water level is still rising in August, when it is ALWAYS falling. So snow melt is not the 15516-09-2023 13:46
Florida in hot water as ocean temperatures rise along with the humidity213-07-2023 15:50
Jamie Foxx blind and paralyzed due to covid vaccine for Netflix3912-07-2023 20:11
LOL, Anheuser Busch is shutting down plants and laying off employees due to the woke fag bud light ads003-07-2023 03:36
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact