Remember me
▼ Content

Scientists Just Pulled CO2 From Air And Turned It Into Coal

Scientists Just Pulled CO2 From Air And Turned It Into Coal27-02-2019 18:25
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2019/02/27/scientists-just-pulled-co2-from-air-and-turned-it-into-coal/#6bd5f62c4563
27-02-2019 22:30
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5195)
Mostly, because it would cost more energy, produce more CO2, than if they hadn't bothered in the first place. But the more I read about 'The Green New Deal', and the 'Sunrise Movement', probably could be sold pretty easy. Who cares how much it costs, or how much resources are wasted, just as long as it give the appearance of saving the planet, from a fictional problem.
28-02-2019 00:49
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Mostly, because it would cost more energy, produce more CO2, than if they hadn't bothered in the first place. But the more I read about 'The Green New Deal', and the 'Sunrise Movement', probably could be sold pretty easy. Who cares how much it costs, or how much resources are wasted, just as long as it give the appearance of saving the planet, from a fictional problem.

This technique doesn't produce a lot more CO2, but it does require the use of toxic metals that must be replaced to continue the process to run.

Obtaining those metals, pumping the CO2, and removing the coal afterwards does require producing CO2 though.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
28-02-2019 04:49
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5195)
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

This technique doesn't produce a lot more CO2, but it does require the use of toxic metals that must be replaced to continue the process to run.

Obtaining those metals, pumping the CO2, and removing the coal afterwards does require producing CO2 though.

Figured they would have to move a lot of air, which will take energy, likely from burning coal or natural gas. I mean, 0.04 % CO2, scattered all over the world, couldn't really yield much coal from the process. Besides, what will they do with the coal produced, burn it? Seems a little foolish, unless they figure on adapting it to the exhaust pipes and chimneys of everything that burns carbon based fuels. Still, it could only reduce efficiency and economy. Still doesn't address the problem of all that coal still in the ground, can't just leave it there.
28-02-2019 19:11
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Figured they would have to move a lot of air, which will take energy, likely from burning coal or natural gas. I mean, 0.04 % CO2, scattered all over the world, couldn't really yield much coal from the process. Besides, what will they do with the coal produced, burn it? Seems a little foolish, unless they figure on adapting it to the exhaust pipes and chimneys of everything that burns carbon based fuels. Still, it could only reduce efficiency and economy. Still doesn't address the problem of all that coal still in the ground, can't just leave it there.

You are quite right. You have to move a LOT of air to get a significant amount of coal from this process. It's easier to just dig up coal out of the ground. It is, after all, a renewable fuel, and it's cheap.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan

Join the debate Scientists Just Pulled CO2 From Air And Turned It Into Coal:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Previous Panics by *Scientists*027-03-2024 20:35
Why exactly is strip mining for coal bad, yet strip mining for Lithium is good923-12-2023 00:11
Fossil Fuel Substitution for reduced emission of CO2, mercury, lead, arsenic, cadmium..39201-12-2023 21:58
Proof That Too Much CO2 Is An Existential Threat32607-11-2023 19:16
Scientists say Florida Keys coral reefs are already bleaching as water temperatures hit record highs1429-07-2023 20:14
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact