Remember me
▼ Content

"sargasse" alga

"sargasse" alga30-09-2018 00:26
davon
☆☆☆☆☆
(1)
Hi guys! i'm french and i lived in french west indies (guadeloupe) for 2 years and i've seen a horrible thing : mountains of algas called sargasses are washing up on every beautiful beaches of this beautiful island. and it's the same problem in every caribean islands. I've heard that the origine of this trouble is probably the chemicals produced by Brazil and bought by amazonian river, mixed with global warming. Is there some scientist whom have any last information or explanations about this phenomenon ?
30-09-2018 00:33
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
davon wrote:
Hi guys! i'm french and i lived in french west indies (guadeloupe) for 2 years and i've seen a horrible thing : mountains of algas called sargasses are washing up on every beautiful beaches of this beautiful island. and it's the same problem in every caribean islands. I've heard that the origine of this trouble is probably the chemicals produced by Brazil and bought by amazonian river, mixed with global warming. Is there some scientist whom have any last information or explanations about this phenomenon ?

https://monacoexplorations.org/sargasse-identify-the-processes-responsible-for-the-proliferation-of-this-invasive-brown-algae/
30-09-2018 03:22
still learning
★★☆☆☆
(244)
davon wrote:
.....explanations about this phenomenon ?

Nobody knows, according to this June 2018 article:https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/06/mysterious-masses-seaweed-assault-caribbean-islands
30-09-2018 22:34
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
davon wrote:

Like any plant. This stuff grows and sheds. Those islands are near where they grow. Because of the bladders in these plants, they float on the sea on grand masses until they wash ashore some Caribbean beach.

It is theorized that the fertilizers that farmers put on their fields are washing down the Amazon and causing these plants to grow more, but the Amazon is putting out a lot of natural fertilizer already (like any major river). The tiny bit that farmers are adding is rather insignificant. There is very little civilization along the length of the Amazon.

This is a natural phenomenon that hits the beaches of the Caribbean every so often. Why Science magazine decided to consider this an unusual event is beyond me. Perhaps they are trying to push the Church of Green and the Church of Global Warming again.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 30-09-2018 22:36
01-10-2018 19:55
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
davon wrote:

...There is something that can be considered because of where the Sargasso Sea is. Some hurricanes go right over it. Nutrients might be supplied off of the ocean floor. Winds on the north side of a hurricane are stronger so this could help to move the sargasse south.
..The Sargasso Sea is defined by a re-circulation gyre which is what could be moving the Sargasse into the Caribbean. That would be using the logic associated with Occam's Razor.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D5GYHBKPhkHMhV6T8
02-10-2018 00:43
(21582)
James___ wrote:
davon wrote:

...There is something that can be considered because of where the Sargasso Sea is. Some hurricanes go right over it. Nutrients might be supplied off of the ocean floor. Winds on the north side of a hurricane are stronger so this could help to move the sargasse south.
..The Sargasso Sea is defined by a re-circulation gyre which is what could be moving the Sargasse into the Caribbean. That would be using the logic associated with Occam's Razor.

The Sargasso sea isn't moving. It's still in the same place. Seaweed that drifts out of the sea (due to storms, etc) will drift around the sea until it strikes land, like the Caribbean or Bermuda.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
02-10-2018 01:41
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
davon wrote:

The Sargasso sea isn't moving. It's still in the same place. Seaweed that drifts out of the sea (due to storms, etc) will drift around the sea until it strikes land, like the Caribbean or Bermuda.

...I like the way that you paraphrased me itn
02-10-2018 09:13
(21582)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
davon wrote:

...I like the way that you paraphrased me itn

I didn't.

The Parrot Killer

03-10-2018 22:43
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
davon wrote:

One of the effects humanity is having is that we are using loads of fertilizer. This is often washed into the sea. It makes life more abundant.

Personally I think that's a good thing.

If you wish to counter it I suggest that you consider creating fish nurseries where populations of fish can breed, reserved no-fishing areas, with possibly additional reefs added, old cars will do or concrete from demolished buildings and car tyres, which will tend to eat the algae.
04-10-2018 04:54
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Tim the plumber wrote:
davon wrote:

One of the effects humanity is having is that we are using loads of fertilizer. This is often washed into the sea. It makes life more abundant.

If you wish to counter it I suggest that you consider creating fish nurseries where populations of fish can breed, reserved no-fishing areas, with possibly additional reefs added, old cars will do or concrete from demolished buildings and car tyres, which will tend to eat the algae.

...About everything you mentioned is happening.
04-10-2018 12:39
AK_User
☆☆☆☆☆
(25)
davon wrote:

They should be looking at this as an opportunity, not as problem. You can turn it into a biofuel industry, or use it for animal feed, or fertilizer. It can even be used in drug manufacturing and cosmetics.

They can harvest the tourist beaches first, just to make them look nicer, but think of what it can do for the economy of the islands inundated with this brown algae.
04-10-2018 19:28
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
Tim the plumber wrote:
davon wrote:

Jesus you think a sea with a mono-culture of stinking algae with dead fish floating upside down in it, a sea that makes you retch just to go near it is a good thing? just because in total the weight of living things increases.

Maniac

IBdaMann wrote:
"Air" is not a body in and of itself. Ergo it is not a blackbody.

Planck's law describes the spectral density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body in thermal equilibrium at a given temperature T.

Join the debate "sargasse" alga:

Remember me

▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact