Remember me
▼ Content

Research Grant Fraud

Research Grant Fraud28-03-2019 03:07
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5192)
https://www.npr.org/2019/03/25/706604033/duke-whistleblower-gets-more-than-33-million-in-research-fraud-settlement

I haven't been able to find all the details on which all research was submitting false data, but was impressed by the high dollar figures, and there was a mention of environmental protection agency. I was wondering if this was the beginning of the truth coming out about climate research. Duke University knew about the fraud, but it took a lawsuit to get them to go public. It involved federal money, but the Justice Department didn't step in either, and it was a lot of research money. Guess they didn't have the resource to spare, since Trump is number one priority these days.

I've got a strong suspicion, that if Trump collected on all these grant fraud cases, and applied that to building his wall, it would be very impressive wall, like in China. I can only hope that our government will step up, and make an Example out of Duke, and some of the others abusing our generous grant programs. They should be stripped of any current federal money, fined, and banned from consideration for future grants, least for a few years. There should be some prison time for those involved, since there was top level cover-up. The University knew there was fraud, but didn't report it. But mostly, that fraudulent data put people at risk, and also wasted more money, as others interested in the fake research, would have invested time and resources, pursuing bogus claims. It was hundreds of millions of dollars in grant money, not exactly pocket change.
28-03-2019 03:19
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
never knew there was such a thing as this....(false claims act)

Because Thomas brought the original lawsuit under the False Claims Act's qui tam, or whistleblower, provisions, he stood to share in any money that was recovered from Duke. For pursuing the case on the U.S. government's behalf, he will now receive $33,750,000 from the settlement, the Justice Department said.

That's a nice chunk of money! He should take some of that money and do some genetic research on that Zion Williamson fella!
Edited on 28-03-2019 03:20
28-03-2019 08:28
(5192)
GasGuzzler wrote:
never knew there was such a thing as this....(false claims act)

Because Thomas brought the original lawsuit under the False Claims Act's qui tam, or whistleblower, provisions, he stood to share in any money that was recovered from Duke. For pursuing the case on the U.S. government's behalf, he will now receive $33,750,000 from the settlement, the Justice Department said.

That's a nice chunk of money! He should take some of that money and do some genetic research on that Zion Williamson fella!

Yeah, it's been a thing for a while now. Considering the huge dollar amount, I'd have figured this story would have been a top news story. Would have thought our government would have gotten involved much earlier as well, not after he won the case, and had to pay up. Was really hoping to find mention that some of that research was climate change related. It wasn't just one research team, or one project. A large crime was committed, but no criminal charges, or mention of an investigation. Trump is getting investigated, right down to how many squares of toilet paper he uses every day, yet there doesn't seem to be any victims, or actual crimes, just technicalities. Duke intentionally stole research money, since they knew it was going on, didn't stop it, until caught.

Mostly, this just goes to show, just how much of our tax dollars is getting handed out, with no oversight, and little care of about how the money is used or abused. It's only one school, but our government hands out billions in grants and subsidies, and seems to believe no one would dare steal from them. They can't see their way to pay a few of those billions for Trumps Wall, which might not be all the effective, but couldn't hurt. We can only hope more people see the cash value in doing the right thing. $33 million would go a long way toward setting up your own research lab, or anything else one could dream of.
28-03-2019 18:19
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21552)
The news media will do everything they can to hush up such lawsuits. Can you imagine what it do to their agenda if word got out that these lawsuits are successful?
28-03-2019 18:44
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
Into the Night wrote:
The news media will do everything they can to hush up such lawsuits. Can you imagine what it do to their agenda if word got out that these lawsuits are successful?

Exactly why I found this a bit odd, this was an NPR story. Little slip up there?
28-03-2019 19:10
(5192)
Maybe Duke refuse to pay protection money to the IPCC. You got to pay, to play with grant money. Too many people got their hands out, and the budget can only carry so much free money to hand out each year. This is probably on of those things the Democrats are so afraid of Trump catching wind, like some of their other little schemes. Government needs to get out of the charity business. Just handing out cash, with no expectation of any return or result, is just insane, and too wide open to corruption. Nobody thinks to check on how the free money is spent, or where it goes. Just too easy for people to stuff some in their pockets, since that money is going to just vanish anyway. Democrats seem to think Trump got rich the dirty way, like they did, and figure if they keep digging, they find some proof. Two years, and nothing substantial, just usual rich people stuff, mostly ethics, little morality issues, nothing blatantly illegal. Few of his friends got popped, mostly for leverage reasons, that didn't pan out as planned, better than nothing. Wonder if the democrats realize how foolish they are acting?
29-03-2019 01:45
(21552)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Exactly why I found this a bit odd, this was an NPR story. Little slip up there?

That's certainly what I'd call it.

It happens from time to time. Then it's like it never happened. They just go silent and hope the embarrassing event just goes away.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 29-03-2019 01:45
29-03-2019 19:23
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
HarveyH55 wrote:
https://www.npr.org/2019/03/25/706604033/duke-whistleblower-gets-more-than-33-million-in-research-fraud-settlement

I haven't been able to find all the details on which all research was submitting false data, but was impressed by the high dollar figures, and there was a mention of environmental protection agency. I was wondering if this was the beginning of the truth coming out about climate research. Duke University knew about the fraud, but it took a lawsuit to get them to go public. It involved federal money, but the Justice Department didn't step in either, and it was a lot of research money. Guess they didn't have the resource to spare, since Trump is number one priority these days.

I've got a strong suspicion, that if Trump collected on all these grant fraud cases, and applied that to building his wall, it would be very impressive wall, like in China. I can only hope that our government will step up, and make an Example out of Duke, and some of the others abusing our generous grant programs. They should be stripped of any current federal money, fined, and banned from consideration for future grants, least for a few years. There should be some prison time for those involved, since there was top level cover-up. The University knew there was fraud, but didn't report it. But mostly, that fraudulent data put people at risk, and also wasted more money, as others interested in the fake research, would have invested time and resources, pursuing bogus claims. It was hundreds of millions of dollars in grant money, not exactly pocket change.

In President Eisenhower's Farewell Address he had this to say in part:

"The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocation, and the power of money is ever present and is gravely to be regarded.

Yet in holding scientific discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite."
30-03-2019 19:19
(21552)
Wake wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

In President Eisenhower's Farewell Address he had this to say in part:

"The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocation, and the power of money is ever present and is gravely to be regarded.

Yet in holding scientific discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite."

You quote this, then you point to government science programs as your authority. WTF???

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
31-03-2019 17:28
(5192)
The government should even be passing out money like they do. I can see an occasional need to do some research, or get something built, but specific projects, not just funding anything and everything. If somebody has an idea or a project, with interest or merit, it wouldn't be hard to obtain funding, privately. If an individual feels strongly, he is free to dedicate his life toward following that dream. Government money shouldn't be 'free', or given out so carelessly. Most of the grant money is wasted, some stolen, since no return is expected. Grants aren't often a one-time payment, just to get a project started, it's usually given every year, until the project ends (lifetime, hopefully)...

Join the debate Research Grant Fraud:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The Global Warming Fraud17325-02-2024 21:47
Election fraud proven and the election was overturned, the FBI will not investigate003-11-2023 19:36
BCA Research5917-05-2023 21:13
The terrorist FBI outed as participating in direct election fraud.............006-12-2022 05:23
Another Trump Election Fraud Case Thrown Out6109-12-2020 20:12
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact