Remember me
▼ Content

Read this and think



Page 2 of 2<12
22-09-2016 23:46
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(10270)
jwoodward48 wrote:
I just said that I could. Stop being stupid and actually read my post.


Still waiting...


The Parrot Killer
23-09-2016 18:31
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
Well, I'd like to take that black body radiation equation, thank you very much, for starters. You know what? I could use all those radiative laws. Add a few absorption constants of atmospheric gases, plus a LoT or two, and I've got myself a simple set of equations that predict that CO2 and temperature are positively correlated. That matches the data! Now expand a bit, adding multiple layers, plus a few positive and negative feedback factors, and it's even better! Of course, I'm no expert, but this is a fairly good simplification.
Edited on 23-09-2016 18:38
23-09-2016 19:46
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(5237)
jwoodward48 wrote:Well, I'd like to take that black body radiation equation, thank you very much, for starters. You know what? I could use all those radiative laws. Add a few absorption constants of atmospheric gases, plus a LoT or two, and I've got myself a simple set of equations that predict that CO2 and temperature are positively correlated. That matches the data! Now expand a bit, adding multiple layers, plus a few positive and negative feedback factors, and it's even better! Of course, I'm no expert, but this is a fairly good simplification.

You want everything that will draw attention away from the fact that neither you nor Surface Detail have provided any "climate" science.

Maybe discussing sports is more of your thing.


.


Global Warming: The preferred religion of the scientifically illiterate.

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

When the alt-physics birds sing about "indivisible bodies," we've got pure BS. - VernerHornung

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
23-09-2016 19:50
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
What, you want some models? Ask a climate scientist. I don't have any quantum mechanics models on hand either. You want to doubt that?
23-09-2016 21:07
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(5237)
jwoodward48 wrote:What, you want some models? Ask a climate scientist.

I'll take that as your admission that your firebrand beliefs are based entirely on faith.

Thank you.


.


Global Warming: The preferred religion of the scientifically illiterate.

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

When the alt-physics birds sing about "indivisible bodies," we've got pure BS. - VernerHornung

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
23-09-2016 21:14
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(10270)
jwoodward48 wrote:
What, you want some models? Ask a climate scientist. I don't have any quantum mechanics models on hand either. You want to doubt that?


Sure. What the hey. I'll bite.

I'll say I don't believe in quantum mechanics. Now present your theory to me and show me why I should listen to it. Feel free to use any mathematical proof you like as long as you show it to me.

Let's start with the observation that I can discharge a gold leaf electroscope by shining an ultraviolet light at it, but not if I shine any visible light at it.


The Parrot Killer
24-09-2016 00:07
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
...that wasn't my point. I can't convince anybody of QM. I can't really even convince myself of it. Yet I still believe that science isn't misleading me.

Oh.

Oh.
24-09-2016 04:31
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(10270)
jwoodward48 wrote:
...that wasn't my point. I can't convince anybody of QM. I can't really even convince myself of it. Yet I still believe that science isn't misleading me.

Oh.

Oh.


I think you're beginning to see this puts you in the realm of a circular argument. You have no predicate except the conclusion itself.

Again, this is not necessarily a bad thing. It simply means you need to go through the same line of reasoning as those before you have. That sounds bad, but it isn't that bad.

Today we have shortcuts in the reasoning that weren't there originally. Because of this, going through that reasoning can open some interesting doors in the history of science along the way. Scientists become people, not just names in a textbook.

I said before the circular argument is just another word for faith. This is where the faith comes in. It takes faith to put the effort into working through the reasoning yourself to see if there is anything to this quantum mechanics business.

Eventually, faith becomes knowledge, as you discover one principle upon the next and how it all fits together mathematically. You will see where tests of falsifiability have been applied to each theory along the way. Look for that kill, kill, kill attitude against any theory to see it.


The Parrot Killer
24-09-2016 04:38
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
Last time you told me that, I focused on the definition of a "circular argument". Now I think you may be slightly off, but an actual point exists, and is quite a bit more important.

That is, a circular argument is a pseudoargument - it appears to be a logical argument, but is really just an assertion with no proof or backing. Saying that X is the case simply because X is the case is more of a...

Goddamn it. That is a circular argument. Yeah, it looks like I fabricated an argument to distract from your point, making myself look like an idiot in the process. Trust me, I'm normally a bit more knowledgeable and intelligent than that. There's something about this topic that brings out the stupid in me.
Edited on 24-09-2016 04:39
24-09-2016 06:26
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(10270)
jwoodward48 wrote:
Last time you told me that, I focused on the definition of a "circular argument". Now I think you may be slightly off, but an actual point exists, and is quite a bit more important.

That is, a circular argument is a pseudoargument - it appears to be a logical argument, but is really just an assertion with no proof or backing. Saying that X is the case simply because X is the case is more of a...

Goddamn it. That is a circular argument. Yeah, it looks like I fabricated an argument to distract from your point, making myself look like an idiot in the process. Trust me, I'm normally a bit more knowledgeable and intelligent than that. There's something about this topic that brings out the stupid in me.


They're tricky, those damned things.
A lot of people will get caught up in a circular argument and not ever realize it for years...decades even. At least a shorter way to describe it is by using the word 'faith'.


The Parrot Killer
Page 2 of 2<12





Join the debate Read this and think:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Must read letter15330-07-2019 18:32
Our leaders should read this204-12-2018 23:19
New Global Warming Newsletter-Must READ!!904-02-2015 02:38
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know


Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2019 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact