Remember me
▼ Content

Power Generation/Distribution

Page 3 of 5<12345>
18-01-2022 08:49
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
Coby 1 wrote:
Or you can go with tesla and just have a bullet that only goes in a straight line.

Anything traveling fast is not going to turn well.
Coby 1 wrote:
Not really suited to European roads, we have hills and bends therefore we need cars that handle well and have a gearbox (you can't really race without a gearbox, especially Formula One and such).

Electric motors need no gearbox.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
18-01-2022 19:04
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14377)
Coby 1 wrote:I'm going to assume for a moment that you are a bit of a petrol head.

I'm going to assume for a moment that you are a moron who thinks he is a genius.

I'm going to assume for a moment that you are a total loser who finds that he can at least pretend to be an important, smart person in anonymous fora.

Your problem is that you do not know all that you do not know. For example, you are probably the only one who isn't aware that you are broadcasting to the world that you are an idiot. You think you are adequately role-playing an educated engineer-type ... but your errors give you away. You think that no one will know that your veiled attacks on Big Oil and your demonization of anyone supporting the status quo with hydrocarbons is based on your Marxist indoctrination that requires you let others do your thinking for you.

Coby 1 wrote:Attach this new crankshaft directly onto the existing gearbox and transmission system.

Gearbox? That's for combustion engines, not electrical motors. The people pulling your strings and doing your thinking for you have you saying stupid things.

Coby 1 wrote:Remove the liquid fuel tank and replace it with a battery bank which, like a cows stomach, contains four different chemical compositions of battery (so as to avoid the over use of precious/rare chemicals), each used to it's maximum potential dependent upon temperature and voltage variations within the battery bank.

If you have four completely different batteries, only one will potentially be used to its maximum potential and the other three will achieve less than their maximum potential.

Coby 1 wrote:This battery bank will be charged from the mains initially, but will be trickle charged on the move by locating generators on the drive shafts and wind turbines mounted within the air flow of the battery bank cooling system.

The problem is that the generators will not be able to generate nearly enough electricity to keep the car going. It will always require a charging station ... that is powered by hydrocarbons.

Then the world will remember that the 2nd law of thermodynamics decreases the amount of usable energy every time energy changes form to perform work. The world will then understand that burning hydrocarbons to power charging stations to ultimately power cars adds additional energy conversion steps that greatly reduce the amount of usable energy in the system, i.e. the world will realize just how much more efficient it was and just how much better off everyone was just burning the hydrocarbons directly in the internal combustion engine, right at the point of the desired work. The world will realize what a total waste of usable energy electric cars actually are ... and the world will realize that the incalculable amount of usable energy lost was all in the name of saving energy.

Coby 1 wrote:It's called making a positive contribution to the problems we now face.

I like how you slipped that in there. You use the Marxist "we" and implied that "we" are facing problems of some sort.

Were you including me in your "we"? I ask because I am not facing any problems.

Coby 1 wrote:Building an EV that is better than ICE.
It's called progress guys, it doesn't have to be painful.

You are advocating the infliction of great pain over an unspecified swath of humanity to install a system that is horribly less efficient than what exists now.

Whoever is doing your thinking for you is pumping some hum-dingers out of you.

Coby 1 wrote:It could be very painful, but for some reason you guys want to stay as we are! Why?

Perhaps because we aren't total morons.
18-01-2022 20:42
(21559)
IBdaMann wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:I'm going to assume for a moment that you are a bit of a petrol head.

I'm going to assume for a moment that you are a moron who thinks he is a genius.

I'm going to assume for a moment that you are a total loser who finds that he can at least pretend to be an important, smart person in anonymous fora.

Your problem is that you do not know all that you do not know. For example, you are probably the only one who isn't aware that you are broadcasting to the world that you are an idiot.

There are probably one or two others here that aren't aware he's an idiot, despite his broadcasting that he is. One of them happens to be wearing a C clamp.
IBdaMann wrote:
You think you are adequately role-playing an educated engineer-type ... but your errors give you away. You think that no one will know that your veiled attacks on Big Oil and your demonization of anyone supporting the status quo with hydrocarbons is based on your Marxist indoctrination that requires you let others do your thinking for you.

This is coming from the Church of Global Warming and the Church of Green. They both stem from the Church of Karl Marx, as you already know.
IBdaMann wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:Attach this new crankshaft directly onto the existing gearbox and transmission system.

Gearbox? That's for combustion engines, not electrical motors. The people pulling your strings and doing your thinking for you have you saying stupid things.

For his use of the term 'gearbox' (meaning transmission), yes. Many motors have gears in them, to slow down shaft speed and trade it for torque, or to change direction (such as bevel gears). These are fixed. You do not shift gears for electric motors, as there is no need. He's broadcasting that he's an idiot again.
IBdaMann wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:Remove the liquid fuel tank and replace it with a battery bank which, like a cows stomach, contains four different chemical compositions of battery (so as to avoid the over use of precious/rare chemicals), each used to it's maximum potential dependent upon temperature and voltage variations within the battery bank.

If you have four completely different batteries, only one will potentially be used to its maximum potential and the other three will achieve less than their maximum potential.

Correct. The work functions of the different batteries will produce a higher voltage cell than the others. It will wind up doing all the work while the other cells loaf around doing nothing but being resistors.

This is why battery cells must not only be the same type, but also be closely matched when combined into high current discharge systems like this.
IBdaMann wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:This battery bank will be charged from the mains initially, but will be trickle charged on the move by locating generators on the drive shafts and wind turbines mounted within the air flow of the battery bank cooling system.

The problem is that the generators will not be able to generate nearly enough electricity to keep the car going. It will always require a charging station ... that is powered by hydrocarbons.

Since he has already shown he denies Ohm's law, he has no understanding just how much power these cars require. Again, he's broadcasting that he's an idiot.

He also has no understanding about battery technology either, or even the science of electrochemistry.

IBdaMann wrote:
Then the world will remember that the 2nd law of thermodynamics decreases the amount of usable energy every time energy changes form to perform work. The world will then understand that burning hydrocarbons to power charging stations to ultimately power cars adds additional energy conversion steps that greatly reduce the amount of usable energy in the system, i.e. the world will realize just how much more efficient it was and just how much better off everyone was just burning the hydrocarbons directly in the internal combustion engine, right at the point of the desired work.

The world won't, since much of the world is illiterate. However, you are correct. The more conversions you have, the less available energy at the end. The rest goes up in useless heat.

He has already shown he knows nothing about power lines and their limitations. He is proposing wind generates at the North pole to power recharging cars in, say, the SOTC. Again, he is showing he knows nothing about Ohm's law or energy loss on transmission lines and in transformers and balancing equipment.

IBdaMann wrote:
The world will realize what a total waste of usable energy electric cars actually are ... and the world will realize that the incalculable amount of usable energy lost was all in the name of saving energy.

Well, at least power companies do. So do any electronics technician worth his solder or any electrician worth his wire nuts.
IBdaMann wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:It's called making a positive contribution to the problems we now face.

I like how you slipped that in there. You use the Marxist "we" and implied that "we" are facing problems of some sort.

Were you including me in your "we"? I ask because I am not facing any problems.

This is just his illiteracy in the English language. He has trouble with English.
IBdaMann wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:Building an EV that is better than ICE.

You are advocating the infliction of great pain over an unspecified swath of humanity to install a system that is horribly less efficient than what exists now.

That he is. He completely ignoring losses of conversion, the time it takes to 'refuel' electric cars versus a gasoline or diesel vehicle, the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics, and electrochemistry.
IBdaMann wrote:
Whoever is doing your thinking for you is pumping some hum-dingers out of you.

You and I both know who is doing his thinking for him. He'll deny it, of course, but then he'll turn right around and cut and paste.
IBdaMann wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:It could be very painful, but for some reason you guys want to stay as we are! Why?

Perhaps because we aren't total morons.

Agreed.

People will choose what type of car they want to buy. The only exception to that is some dictator or oligarchy forces communism or fascism.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
19-01-2022 17:15
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Coby 1 wrote:
I'm going to assume for a moment that you are a bit of a petrol head.

So what happens if you strip a car/bike engine down as far as the crankshaft, then replace that crankshaft (say four pistons, 200 BHP) with a crankshaft powered by four DC electric motors (200 BHP as before).
Attach this new crankshaft directly onto the existing gearbox and transmission system.
Remove the liquid fuel tank and replace it with a battery bank which, like a cows stomach, contains four different chemical compositions of battery (so as to avoid the over use of precious/rare chemicals), each used to it's maximum potential dependent upon temperature and voltage variations within the battery bank.
This battery bank will be charged from the mains initially, but will be trickle charged on the move by locating generators on the drive shafts and wind turbines mounted within the air flow of the battery bank cooling system.

Like the sound of that?

It's called making a positive contribution to the problems we now face.
Building an EV that is better than ICE.
It could be a lot of fun, but for some reason you guys want to stay as we are! Why?

Can you believe that around 10,000 years ago people started farming? These guys would've loved the ice age that didn't happen. What's funny is that GasGuzzler lives in Iowa, USA where they are invested in wind turbines which includes degree programs to work on them. Iowa isn't just chicken coops and cornfields anymore.
With batteries, the goal is to be 100% recyclable. Today lead batteries have nothing that goes to a landfill unless someone throws a lead based car type battery in the trash. And once newer batteries are 100% recycled then they'll be a lot less expensive and might actually be affordable.
19-01-2022 17:50
(14377)
James___ wrote:Can you believe that around 10,000 years ago people started farming?

Exactly, because prior to that date, the global Climate (PBUH) did not support any crops edible by humans, and human hands weren't flexible enough yet to be able to plant seeds. There couldn't have been any farming any earlier than that.

James___ wrote:Iowa isn't just chicken coops and cornfields anymore.

Yes they are.

James___ wrote: With batteries, the goal is to be 100% recyclable.

They already are. Once you finish with a battery, you melt it down and fashion it into a bicycle ... or a set of spoons.

19-01-2022 21:52
(21559)
James___ wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:

So what happens if you strip a car/bike engine down as far as the crankshaft, then replace that crankshaft (say four pistons, 200 BHP) with a crankshaft powered by four DC electric motors (200 BHP as before).
Attach this new crankshaft directly onto the existing gearbox and transmission system.
Remove the liquid fuel tank and replace it with a battery bank which, like a cows stomach, contains four different chemical compositions of battery (so as to avoid the over use of precious/rare chemicals), each used to it's maximum potential dependent upon temperature and voltage variations within the battery bank.
This battery bank will be charged from the mains initially, but will be trickle charged on the move by locating generators on the drive shafts and wind turbines mounted within the air flow of the battery bank cooling system.

Like the sound of that?

It could be a lot of fun, but for some reason you guys want to stay as we are! Why?

Can you believe that around 10,000 years ago people started farming? These guys would've loved the ice age that didn't happen. What's funny is that GasGuzzler lives in Iowa, USA where they are invested in wind turbines which includes degree programs to work on them. Iowa isn't just chicken coops and cornfields anymore.
With batteries, the goal is to be 100% recyclable. Today lead batteries have nothing that goes to a landfill unless someone throws a lead based car type battery in the trash. And once newer batteries are 100% recycled then they'll be a lot less expensive and might actually be affordable.

The electrolyte of a lead-acid battery goes to the landfill. Any lead sulfate in the battery goes to a landfill.

A battery is not a source of energy. They must be charged from somewhere.
Wind power is piddle power. It is the 2nd most expensive method of producing electricity.

The Parrot Killer

20-01-2022 01:18
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5195)
https://hackaday.com/2022/01/19/longer-range-evs-are-on-the-horizon/

he project essentially ignores efficiency improvements entirely. ONE made no mods to the Tesla in this regard, and the system is technically less efficient as a whole, making only 3.69 miles/kWh versus the 4.02 miles/kWh of the stock car in EPA testing. What is astounding is how the team were able to fit a battery pack of double the capacity in the same space as the original pack – marking a huge increase in energy density. The team were reportedly able to do so without much of a weight penalty either. The ONE pack apparently required no active cooling during its drive test (albeit run in cold weather). The production battery that ONE hopes to bring to market, known as "Gemini," will reportely rely on LiFP (lithium iron phosphate) technology, something already used in many EVs today, and production samples should be available around 2023.

MYSTERY GAINS
As capable as these vehicles are, perhaps the most frustrating part is that the engineering used to achieve these feats remains a little opaque to the public. It's only when these cars start hitting the market en masse, and getting disassembled by inquisitive engineering teams and individuals, that it will become clear exactly how these improvements to efficiency and energy density are being achieved. Whether it's exquisitely-prepared motors that cut down on even the tiniest of losses, new high-efficiency semiconductors, or bigger moves like jumping up to work at higher voltage ranges, it all adds up. But the real big gains are much more of a secret weapon that automakers will aim to keep as a competitive advantage for as long as is possible.

At best, we get little hints here and there, pockets of insight when an automaker wants to boast of its achievements. A great example is Tesla, which has invested heavily in some of the most advanced EV motors on the planet. The company has previously openly discusssed with Car and Driver how improving motor efficiency by 8 to 10 percent helped it boost overall range by 15 to 18 percent. Other players are typically less forthcoming, choosing to talk in broader terms as to the source of their gains rather than discussing real engineering details. Tesla somewhat stands alone in this area, often going into great detail on its new technologies as a marketing tool, though it tends to announce big things well before they ever come to market.

In any case, whether by improved efficiency, increasing energy density, or simply by stuffing more batteries into a car, it seems that electric vehicle range will only continue to improve at a rapid rate in coming years. EVs with huge range are just around the corner, and the ones we have today are already posting some serious numbers. Range anxiety may soon be a thing of the past for all but the cheapest, shortest-range EVs, or those with batteries nearing the end of their useful life. It may be that running out of charge becomes as rare for the average EV driver as running out of petrol is for those of us with conventional ICE-powered vehicles. Come what may!

This article reads more like marketing hype. Didn't bother following the links.
20-01-2022 01:24
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:Can you believe that around 10,000 years ago people started farming?

Exactly, because prior to that date, the global Climate (PBUH) did not support any crops edible by humans, and human hands weren't flexible enough yet to be able to plant seeds. There couldn't have been any farming any earlier than that.

Yes they are.

James___ wrote: With batteries, the goal is to be 100% recyclable.

They already are. Once you finish with a battery, you melt it down and fashion it into a bicycle ... or a set of spoons.

Nah!! In Iowa they built a baseball field and called it the field of dreams.
20-01-2022 01:32
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:

Like the sound of that?

The electrolyte of a lead-acid battery goes to the landfill. Any lead sulfate in the battery goes to a landfill.

Wind power is piddle power. It is the 2nd most expensive method of producing electricity.

The quest for cheap energy, ie., natural gas and oil doesn't support any carbon neutral policy. Yet why no one comments on that I don't know.
After all, if Russia invades Ukraine, sanctions to lower the price of FOSSIL fuels are waiting. And this is because FOSSIL fuels are bad.
20-01-2022 01:36
(14377)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Yes they are.

Iowa did have an old barn, but they tore that down. Now, only the chicken coops and the cornfields remain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBbO31IAvf0&t=120s
20-01-2022 01:43
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Yes they are.

Iowa did have an old barn, but they tore that down. Now, only the chicken coops and the cornfields remain.

Did you notice how it almost didn't happen? They knew how to build something 100 years ago.

p.s., and the A.C. alternator is about 131 years old. Of course Tesla wasn't an American but............
Edited on 20-01-2022 01:45
20-01-2022 06:20
(21559)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:

Like the sound of that?

The quest for cheap energy, ie., natural gas and oil doesn't support any carbon neutral policy. Yet why no one comments on that I don't know.
After all, if Russia invades Ukraine, sanctions to lower the price of FOSSIL fuels are waiting. And this is because FOSSIL fuels are bad.

Russia can use all the fossils they want. They are not fuel.

The Parrot Killer

20-01-2022 06:37
(21559)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Yes they are.

Nice listening to the bracings snap one by one until nothing was left to keep it up.

The Parrot Killer

20-01-2022 06:38
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:

Nice listening to the bracings snap one by one until nothing was left to keep it up.

One less teepee to worry about.
20-01-2022 06:44
(21559)
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Yes they are.

Did you notice how it almost didn't happen? They knew how to build something 100 years ago.
The thing was pulled down by a pickup truck in the SNOW!

This is how you pull down a frame building. Remove the sheathing, then yank on it (from a respectable distance!) until enough bracings fail. It was going to fall down anyway. It was dangerous. Better to bring it down under controlled circumstances.

James___ wrote:
p.s., and the A.C. alternator is about 131 years old. Of course Tesla wasn't an American but............

Tesla was an American. There is no such thing as an AC alternator. Alternators put out DC.
Hippolyte Pixii, a french inventor, invented the alternator.

The Parrot Killer

20-01-2022 06:44
(21559)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Not a teepee.

The Parrot Killer

20-01-2022 07:15
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Not a teepee.

It kind of depends on perspective ITN. The days of that barn have gone.
What does the future hold? This gets into tribes lost as well. And yes, I am an ****. Why we can't be friends.
20-01-2022 13:38
Coby 1
★☆☆☆☆
(56)
Power to weight ratio:

Larger battery bank or relatively smaller battery bank + on board charging?
20-01-2022 13:43
Coby 1
★☆☆☆☆
(56)
Electrical efficiency:

Small electric motors mounted on a crankshaft powering a mechanical gearbox and transmission system or one massive electric motor mounted directly on the driveshaft?
20-01-2022 13:52
Coby 1
★☆☆☆☆
(56)
Balancing the power to weight ratio of a man and a Kawasaki ZR 750 NBF so that the bike achieves pure forward motion without electronics (no wheelie, no wheel spin), kissing the tarmac as you red line it away from the lights in the first three gears, is an irreplaceable feeling.
20-01-2022 13:58
Coby 1
★☆☆☆☆
(56)
Coming around Trafalgar Square late at night and being able to choose the correct gear to drift a Porsche 964 Carrera 4 through all of the traffic lights just as they are turning amber, is an irreplaceable feeling.
20-01-2022 13:59
Coby 1
★☆☆☆☆
(56)
Please take your thumbs out of your asses and start building some decent EV's.
20-01-2022 14:35
Coby 1
★☆☆☆☆
(56)
Feelings (adrenaline) like that are the closest the a guy (or gal) in the street ever gets to scoring a goal at Wembley stadium, catching a touchdown in the Superbowl or hitting a six at the WACA!

Don't spend the rest of your days just tearing up and down the same drag strip in the middle of nowhere!
20-01-2022 14:37
Coby 1
★☆☆☆☆
(56)
There's this big winding hill, just up the road from where I live with better than 90 degree bends and on a .....
20-01-2022 15:14
Coby 1
★☆☆☆☆
(56)
Listen guys (gals), petrolheads/gearheads have an important and unique responsibility in life and that is to;
"keep Police pursuit drivers in tip top form for when they have real criminals to chase".

Now get out there and give future generations the equipment to fulfill their responsibilities!
20-01-2022 16:16
(14377)
Coby 1 wrote:Please take your thumbs out of your asses and start building some decent EV's.

Is there a reason you don't learn science and engineering yourself ... you know, so that you can build a "decent" electric vehicle and become insanely wealthy?

That was a rhetorical question. Of course there is a reason. You aren't really all that intelligent enough to learn much of anything. You are relying on others to do all of your thinking for you.

Have you become proficient at getting customers to add chips and a drink to their order?
20-01-2022 17:41
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
Coby 1 wrote:
Listen guys (gals), petrolheads/gearheads have an important and unique responsibility in life and that is to;
"keep Police pursuit drivers in tip top form for when they have real criminals to chase".

I TOTALLY agree. Give our cops a solid Prius and a Smith&Wesson .38 six pack revolver. Bad guys are toast!

Skip the chips. Sell the macadamia cookies. They are amazing AND a better profit margin!

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
Edited on 20-01-2022 17:50
20-01-2022 18:48
(21559)
Coby 1 wrote:
Power to weight ratio:

Larger battery bank or relatively smaller battery bank + on board charging?

Batteries are not power.

The Parrot Killer

20-01-2022 18:49
(21559)
Coby 1 wrote:
Electrical efficiency:

Small electric motors mounted on a crankshaft powering a mechanical gearbox and transmission system or one massive electric motor mounted directly on the driveshaft?

Gearbox unnecessary. Four individual traction motors (the way Tesla does it) work out the best.

The Parrot Killer

20-01-2022 18:51
(21559)
Coby 1 wrote:
Please take your thumbs out of your asses and start building some decent EV's.

I don't build EVs. All EVs have the same problem: 'refueling' time, difficult to obtain materials, and cost.

The Parrot Killer

21-01-2022 03:39
(5195)
Coby 1 wrote:
Electrical efficiency:

You don't need a transmission with electric motors. A gearbox is good to increase torque. Electric motors have a very large range of speed it will run at. There is no benefit to do that mechanically, with gears. We use pulse-with modulation to control speed, with no loss of torque. DC motors can reverse direction, simply by reversing polarity. A mechanical transmission would only add weight you have to waste battery to haul around. You waste battery on turning the gears. A mechanical transmission adds weight, complexity, and cost, providing zero benefit over controlling the motor electronically. But, yeah, manual transmissions are cool, and preferred over automatic for some terrains.

There is regenerative-braking, which can recover some energy/charge battery, when you need to slow down or stop.

ICE motors only run in one direction. There is a minimal speed (RPM), at which the will continue to run. Frequent start/stop wastes a lot of fuel, puts a lot of stress on mechanical parts, beneficial to keep it running (idle). The faster you run an ICE motor, the more fuel you burn, which also produces a lot of waste heat to manage. It's more efficient, and ideal, to run the motor at lower RPM. This is why gearboxes/transmissions are required with ICE motors. Electric motors don't have these limitations, or requirements.

Vehicles use to be built to last, and with safety of the passengers a high priory. Lot of heavy steel. They could take an impact fairly well, with little damage, or injuries. But, we wanted to have 'fun' driving, always in a rush, and too cheap to do things right. Cars became cheap playthings for the rich, and reckless. Cheap cars are also profitable in volume. Rich people wreck them, and just buy another one. Cheap, means more people can afford to get one. Those not able to keep buying a new one, will spend the time and money on repairs, buy insurance. Which is also profitable. EV will be lightweight, and cheaply made, relying heavily on electronic safety features, rather than physical. You notice the automatic/assisted driving features being pushed so heavily these days... These cheaply made cars are going to get destroyed in accidents, and so will the passengers...
21-01-2022 22:03
(21559)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:
Electrical efficiency:

You don't need a transmission with electric motors. A gearbox is good to increase torque. Electric motors have a very large range of speed it will run at. There is no benefit to do that mechanically, with gears. We use pulse-with modulation to control speed, with no loss of torque. DC motors can reverse direction, simply by reversing polarity. A mechanical transmission would only add weight you have to waste battery to haul around. You waste battery on turning the gears. A mechanical transmission adds weight, complexity, and cost, providing zero benefit over controlling the motor electronically. But, yeah, manual transmissions are cool, and preferred over automatic for some terrains.

There is regenerative-braking, which can recover some energy/charge battery, when you need to slow down or stop.

ICE motors only run in one direction. There is a minimal speed (RPM), at which the will continue to run. Frequent start/stop wastes a lot of fuel, puts a lot of stress on mechanical parts, beneficial to keep it running (idle). The faster you run an ICE motor, the more fuel you burn, which also produces a lot of waste heat to manage. It's more efficient, and ideal, to run the motor at lower RPM. This is why gearboxes/transmissions are required with ICE motors. Electric motors don't have these limitations, or requirements.

Vehicles use to be built to last, and with safety of the passengers a high priory. Lot of heavy steel. They could take an impact fairly well, with little damage, or injuries. But, we wanted to have 'fun' driving, always in a rush, and too cheap to do things right. Cars became cheap playthings for the rich, and reckless. Cheap cars are also profitable in volume. Rich people wreck them, and just buy another one. Cheap, means more people can afford to get one. Those not able to keep buying a new one, will spend the time and money on repairs, buy insurance. Which is also profitable. EV will be lightweight, and cheaply made, relying heavily on electronic safety features, rather than physical. You notice the automatic/assisted driving features being pushed so heavily these days... These cheaply made cars are going to get destroyed in accidents, and so will the passengers...

When the self driving car ran over an autonomous robot at CES a couple of years ago, there WAS substantial damage to the EV.

The Parrot Killer

21-01-2022 23:08
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Coby 1 wrote:

Now get out there and give future generations the equipment to fulfill their responsibilities!

In the 1970's the saying was that the radio was faster than the car. In today's world why can't law enforcement fire a tracking beacon at a motor vehicle? And if they stop to remove it, the police catch them.
And if they don't stop, the police track them. There is no need to risk innocent bystanders. If people die as the result of police pursuit then the police are responsible yet are blameless when it comes to the loss of life.
22-01-2022 00:33
(5195)
James___ wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:

In the 1970's the saying was that the radio was faster than the car. In today's world why can't law enforcement fire a tracking beacon at a motor vehicle? And if they stop to remove it, the police catch them.
And if they don't stop, the police track them. There is no need to risk innocent bystanders. If people die as the result of police pursuit then the police are responsible yet are blameless when it comes to the loss of life.

It's been tried, and failed... Difficult to get a tracker to stay on. The car's body has a variety of textures, materials, contours. Magnets don't work. Adhesives don't work, since most cars filthy, or freshly waxed. Something fired, that can embed in a car, can also embed in your skull... It's difficult hitting a moving target, from a moving vehicle, specially at high speed. They also need to be very close. Isn't it safer to focus on driving, than lining up a dream shot at the fleeing car?

If it's a stolen car, it'll be found abandoned soon enough. Most stolen vehicles, are usually a one night of fun deal anyway. It's grand theft, and the longer you keep it, the more likely you'll get caught.

But, don't despair. Cops don't have to fire anything, since tracking is already built-in to most new model, smart-cars... There has be sort of a 'blackbox' built-in for decades. The data recorded is mostly for diagnostics, but they also record your driving habits. Not sure how much 'sharing' goes on with law enforcement, and insurance companies. For a sufficient fee, anything can be accessed...
22-01-2022 01:18
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:

It's been tried, and failed... Difficult to get a tracker to stay on. The car's body has a variety of textures, materials, contours. Magnets don't work. Adhesives don't work, since most cars filthy, or freshly waxed. Something fired, that can embed in a car, can also embed in your skull... It's difficult hitting a moving target, from a moving vehicle, specially at high speed. They also need to be very close. Isn't it safer to focus on driving, than lining up a dream shot at the fleeing car?

If it's a stolen car, it'll be found abandoned soon enough. Most stolen vehicles, are usually a one night of fun deal anyway. It's grand theft, and the longer you keep it, the more likely you'll get caught.

But, don't despair. Cops don't have to fire anything, since tracking is already built-in to most new model, smart-cars... There has be sort of a 'blackbox' built-in for decades. The data recorded is mostly for diagnostics, but they also record your driving habits. Not sure how much 'sharing' goes on with law enforcement, and insurance companies. For a sufficient fee, anything can be accessed...

And this thread was about America's power grid and what it needs to support its demands. Because I like you Harvey, Love from Seattle;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nco_kh8xJDs

If I would, could you?
Edited on 22-01-2022 01:57
22-01-2022 02:16
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAqZb52sgpU
22-01-2022 03:46
(21559)
James___ wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:

In the 1970's the saying was that the radio was faster than the car.

No such 'saying'. Radio, being light, is faster than a car.
James___ wrote:
In today's world why can't law enforcement fire a tracking beacon at a motor vehicle?

Damage to said vehicle, risk of hitting an innocent bystander, risk of injury of occupants in target vehicle, and unconstitutional.
James___ wrote:
And if they stop to remove it, the police catch them.

Removing a projectile from a car is not illegal. Indeed, said driver could sue the police.
James___ wrote:
And if they don't stop, the police track them.

Unconstitutional.
James___ wrote:
There is no need to risk innocent bystanders.

I have already outlined the risk to innocent bystanders.
James___ wrote:
If people die as the result of police pursuit then the police are responsible yet are blameless when it comes to the loss of life.

Because the person eluding the police is responsible.

The Parrot Killer

22-01-2022 04:08
(21559)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:

No such 'blackbox tracking' in vehicles.

The only information a ECC uses is a learning algorithm to find the idiosyncrasies of your particular engine components (which vary slightly due to manufacturing tolerances). The primary learning algorithm is for the throttle body, to learn how to properly idle the engine. The training routine is pretty much the same for all cars:

* Wait until the engine is dead cold, make sure all lights, fans, and other electrical loads are off. Make sure A/C is off (no defrost either!).
* Start the car.
* Allow the car to idle until fully warmed up. Do not press on the accelerator at any time.

The throttle body is now programmed. Symptoms of poor or no programming for the throttle body include the engine stalling at a stop sign. If you get this, first try reprogramming the throttle body.

Your driving habits make no difference. The car doesn't care or is even able to determine if you have 'good' driving habits or 'bad' driving habits.

Some driver assist systems can monitor lane markings, and warn you if you seem to be drifting out of a lane without signalling. It also warns you when it can't find the lane markers. Some provide a steering assist for this, effectively 'centering' the wheel in the correct direction. It is easily overridden by the driver. This is similar to Subaru's Eyesight system.

Such systems also provide a better cruise control than a standard one, known as 'cruise follower'. By measuring the distance to the car ahead using various sensors (Subaru uses two cameras), cruise control can adjust to changing speeds without intervention by the driver.

If it can't find a car in front, it resorts to a standard cruise control.

In Subaru, an interlock exists so that if lane markers cannot be found either, the entire system is temporarily disabled, safe failing to idle and manual control by the driver. Indicator lights and tones note this condition. It simply means the cameras can't see well enough. It can happen due to fog, an obscured windscreen (which the cameras stare through), snowfall, or other inclement conditions where YOU would have trouble seeing!

So, no. Cars do not track your every move, unless you install and operate equipment designed to do this for you, such as your cell phone, a Starlink system (vehicle location and condition monitor, used for obtaining emergency or road service), or a GPS display (used to provide you with maps and guidance).

All of them can be turned off.

Some automotive rental agencies install a GPS device in the car to see if it goes out of State. In this way they can find stolen cars. That device typically ties into the vehicle's cell phone head and is located near the head box (often under the dash).

The Parrot Killer

22-01-2022 04:09
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:

In the 1970's the saying was that the radio was faster than the car.

No such 'saying'. Radio, being light, is faster than a car.
James___ wrote:
In today's world why can't law enforcement fire a tracking beacon at a motor vehicle?

Damage to said vehicle, risk of hitting an innocent bystander, risk of injury of occupants in target vehicle, and unconstitutional.
James___ wrote:
And if they stop to remove it, the police catch them.

Removing a projectile from a car is not illegal. Indeed, said driver could sue the police.
James___ wrote:
And if they don't stop, the police track them.

Unconstitutional.
James___ wrote:
There is no need to risk innocent bystanders.

I have already outlined the risk to innocent bystanders.
James___ wrote:
If people die as the result of police pursuit then the police are responsible yet are blameless when it comes to the loss of life.

Because the person eluding the police is responsible.

Am clueless as to what you said. It's like we have a reservation because people are tooo stupid. What is tooo stupid?
22-01-2022 04:10
(21559)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
Coby 1 wrote:

And this thread was about America's power grid and what it needs to support its demands. Because I like you Harvey, Love from Seattle;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nco_kh8xJDs

If I would, could you?

?

The Parrot Killer

Page 3 of 5<12345>

Join the debate Power Generation/Distribution:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
THE FUTURE OF HYDROGEN POWER3109-08-2023 19:29
Just spoke with Dmitri Vasilyev a Russian solar power salesman at my front door223-07-2023 20:22
Solar power is a scam. My next door neighbor has solar panels and he pays more for power419-07-2023 18:37
How To Become God, Active Super Ability Power, Become Immortal Guide Could Appear Soon113-07-2023 12:53
POWER TO THE PEOPLE408-05-2023 00:47
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact