Remember me
▼ Content

Population Change and Demography - the malthusian rate.

Page 3 of 3<123
20-11-2019 21:48
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
GasGuzzler wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
keepit wrote:
ITN,
I'd rather ignore you but what about an aviation weather report? Would you believe the temp on that?

Yes. That sensor is mounted right on the runway, usually somewhere near the center of the airport. It's good enough to indicate likely temperatures at either approach end of that runway. The conditions that would cause a steep temperature gradient are visible to the pilot anyway. In that case, temperature is not the problem. Shifting winds and violent weather is.
keepit wrote:
I bet your answer won't be a straight forward yes or no.

A qualified yes. Assuming the sensor of an automated station isn't screwed up, and assuming generally benign weather, they work just fine. If a meteorologist is at the field (such as fields with many commercial flights), then the system is not automated, and the observer can also report other weather conditions more accurately.

Temperatures at airports are not particularly important. What pilots are looking for is possible icing conditions on the runway, or a narrow spread between temperature and dewpoint (causing fog and low clouds, making landing there either difficult or impossible).

They are completely useless sensors for describing the temperature of anything even as close as just off the airport property, or even the temperature at the threshold of a runway under certain conditions.

I need a big shovel for this. Doppler radar works quite well. It helps to predict conditions in advance. I've seen the local airport grounded and the weather reports were extremely accurate. People knew what to expect. They could prepare for it.
The weather that wasn't at the airport came from somewhere. Your observations do not allow for weather patterns.
It's funny how much you remind me of my American half brother.

I will call word salad. Can anyone else make sense of this?

He's referring to the so-called 'weather' radar, which is sometimes called 'Doppler radar' by some TV weathermen.

Radar can run on any frequency, just like any radio station. The higher the frequency, the more focused the target produced. Commonly used frequencies these days are:

VHF 50-330 MHz. Very long-range surveillance
UHF 300-1,000 MHz. Very long-range surveillance
L 1-2 GHz. Long-range surveillance, enroute traffic control
S 2-4 GHz. Moderate-range surveillance, terminal traffic control, long-range weather
C 4-8 GHz. Long-range tracking, airborne weather
X 8-12 GHz. Short-range tracking, missile guidance, mapping, marine radar, airborne intercept
K u 12-18 GHz. High resolution mapping, satellite altimetry
K 18-27 GHz. Little used (H 20 absorption)
K a 27-40 GHz. Very high resolution mapping, airport surveillance

Weather radar runs on the C. It's looking for water. This also happens to be the same band police radar is used on. It can see not only the metal of the car or motorcycle, but the water in the driver as well!

The S band is nearby, and is used for terminal approach and departure control. They have a switch on their console they can throw to turn off the C band filters, and the system will also show all the weather in the area. This can be handy when directing traffic around storm cells or handling traffic that is incapable of instrument flight. They usually leave the filter on so they don't have the clutter of the weather display on their scopes.

It is not using Doppler. It is simply using the timing of the return echo to place targets.

Police radar typically runs on the X or K bands. It uses Doppler to measure speed. A pulse is sent out on a specific frequency. The faster the target car is moving, the higher the frequency the return pulse is going to be. Police radar simply measures the frequency difference using a simple heterodyne filter (sort of like a high frequency version of a common AM radio). The difference frequency indicates the target vehicle speed.

If you have a police radar detector, by the time it warns you, you've already been scanned. Nevertheless, some States make the dumb things illegal.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 20-11-2019 21:51
20-11-2019 21:50
(21582)
spot wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
keepit wrote:
ITN,
Thanks for a good answer although i don't particularly need flying lessons, not at my age 77.

Heh. What I just described is not a flying lesson!
You specifically asked about airport weather stations.

I happen to appreciate flight details. Although I'll never be a pilot, I find flight and air traffic fascinating. I always enjoy it when the topic swerves in that direction. Also a huge asset to this forum is ITN with not only his flight knowledge but cockpit experience....some of which sounds more like a thriller flick than just some dude from the Pacific NW farting around in a Cesna.

Thanks ITN!

Anytime. Though much of the time I'm just some dude farting around in a Cessna.

I like my little Cessna 150. It's cheap to fly land the Puget Sound region can be quite beautiful to fly around in. I've got it rigged for instrument flight (it's cloudy here much of the time!). I have taken it as far as Colorado and Arizona (it won an award at the Copperstate airshow there!).

I hope this is another of your Walter Mitty fantasies for the sake of people on the ground.

I haven't crashed an airplane since 15 years ago, when the engine quit and I had to dead stick the thing into a nearby airfield. Actually, it wasn't really a crash, but the engine was toast.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
29-11-2019 08:41
Amanbir GrewalProfile picture★☆☆☆☆
(123)
if you put solar cells in the desert you can make a lot of electricity.
the usa does got a lot of desert land, lol, like nevada, wouldn't that just take care of all our energy needs.

lolol. that'll make the arabs richer than us again just like they had oil coz it seems they have more deserts than us too. hahahahahahha !!!!!!

hey hey hey slow down there, australia got deserts too. now the aussie got into that game he didn't want too billy, that the aussie done there, hella inehh!!

the winds blow very very hard in themountains of korea, don;t they Jung Sin, don't they now, "twists his collar and makes him squirm*.

'nice coffee, emil, german bloody market for this good, yeah , yeah'.

Emil looks away coz he not too interested in this anymore.

Now let's get back into class, ye, ye!
30-11-2019 04:58
tmiddlesProfile picture★★★★★
(3979)
Amanbir Grewal wrote:
if you put solar cells in the desert
Yeah as many plants and animals, us included, as we have on Earth there is a lot of empty space just wasting it's solar allotment.
02-12-2019 17:45
(123)
so many energy packets!!

sensitive areas in this game be the arctic, tropical forests, coastlines and beaches lololololol...........valuable rivers, and jews.

of israel.
02-12-2019 19:48
(21582)
Amanbir Grewal wrote:
if you put solar cells in the desert you can make a lot of electricity.

Not really. Solar cells just don't make a lot of electricity, compared to coal, oil, or natural gas power plants. That's why you find such power plants even in the desert.
Amanbir Grewal wrote:
the usa does got a lot of desert land, lol, like nevada, wouldn't that just take care of all our energy needs.

No.
Amanbir Grewal wrote:
lolol. that'll make the arabs richer than us again just like they had oil coz it seems they have more deserts than us too. hahahahahahha !!!!!!

Why would they bother? They have oil and natural gas.
Amanbir Grewal wrote:
hey hey hey slow down there, australia got deserts too. now the aussie got into that game he didn't want too billy, that the aussie done there, hella inehh!!

the winds blow very very hard in themountains of korea, don;t they Jung Sin, don't they now, "twists his collar and makes him squirm*.

'nice coffee, emil, german bloody market for this good, yeah , yeah'.

Emil looks away coz he not too interested in this anymore.

Now let's get back into class, ye, ye!

You seem to think it doesn't cost anything to ship electricity. It does.

The Parrot Killer

02-12-2019 19:50
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
ITN,
I had to dead stick one in too. Faulty fuel gauges.
Luckily i was over a controlled airport and had entered the traffic pattern. I landed on the crosswind runway.
Nighttime too. It could have been bad.
Edited on 02-12-2019 19:51
03-12-2019 17:55
(123)
https://www.ft.com/content/a05d1dd4-dddd-11e9-9743-db5a370481bc

uk shut down all its coal and will be coal free by 2020.
03-12-2019 20:06
(21582)
Amanbir Grewal wrote:
https://www.ft.com/content/a05d1dd4-dddd-11e9-9743-db5a370481bc

uk shut down all its coal and will be coal free by 2020.

So?

The Parrot Killer

04-12-2019 03:06
(123)
https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/prius/

engineering brits love their machinery work and are always working on their real mechanical projects, like british horsepower!!!

brits do well in machines.
Edited on 04-12-2019 03:15
04-12-2019 17:47
(21582)
Amanbir Grewal wrote:

engineering brits love their machinery work and are always working on their real mechanical projects, like british horsepower!!!

Is that why the German metallurgy and chemical industries became the strongest in Europe?
Is that why the best guns are made in America?
Is that why the computer industry started in America and grew to the size it did in America?
Is that why we buy Japanese, American, and German cars?
Is that why locomotives built in America are the most powerful in the world?

Sorry to slap your pride around a little, but the UK has a ways to go.

The Parrot Killer

05-12-2019 15:34
(123)

daughter's gold in the sierra!! lol!

though, transport should give way to a lot of distance communication now that its all IT and digital.
Edited on 05-12-2019 15:36
05-12-2019 23:52
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
Into the Night wrote:
Amanbir Grewal wrote:

Is that why the German metallurgy and chemical industries became the strongest in Europe?
Is that why the computer industry started in America and grew to the size it did in America?

Brits have machines?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
06-12-2019 04:29
(21582)
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Amanbir Grewal wrote:

Brits have machines?

Ja. They get them from Germany.

The Parrot Killer

06-12-2019 04:39
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
Into the Night wrote:
IBdaMann wrote: Brits have machines?

Ja. They get them from Germany.

Is that to make sure they work?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
12-12-2019 04:24
(123)
singapore plans to conquer asia are getting into competition with american ones.

flying markets need flying imaginations!

black water soundtrack and some chips, *goggles*

BALI!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIWLA7v9L0g&t=52s
Edited on 12-12-2019 04:26
13-12-2019 01:48
(123)

that is india though, no room for bad behaviour cuz ur already sleeping!!!!
16-12-2019 15:42
(123)
you're a nihilist?

this vision of caesar, he ma run up this staircase and finish all DEE food on that high table of heaven.....

irrational baby, irrational baby, i'm no 'gaaathic'.

i am, i am, i am, sum, sum, sum.
Page 3 of 3<123

Join the debate Population Change and Demography - the malthusian rate.:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
World Population627-03-2024 00:31
Book your bargain rate Israeli Tel Aviv or Jerusalem vacation now, free 4th of July style fireworks inclu118-10-2023 05:25
Alaskan Snow Crab Population Shrinks 90% In 3 Years818-10-2022 23:07
The Savior Strategy Can Help The USA Remove Trade Deficit & The Real Life Money Exchange Rate Appear007-07-2021 11:04
Case fatality rate3620-04-2020 10:28
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact