Remember me
▼ Content

polar vortex

Page 2 of 2<12
21-02-2021 01:35
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
I just didn't see such small quantities, doing major damages. And, seeing the numbers, doesn't really change that. Still think there is a huge difference, between what happens in a lab jar, and what happens outdoors. There is a whole lot more going on around us, than what gets stuffed in those jars. Science often gets it wrong, but they'll figure it out, eventually.
21-02-2021 03:12
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
I just didn't see such small quantities, doing major damages. And, seeing the numbers, doesn't really change that. Still think there is a huge difference, between what happens in a lab jar, and what happens outdoors. There is a whole lot more going on around us, than what gets stuffed in those jars. Science often gets it wrong, but they'll figure it out, eventually.

What are you talking about?
21-02-2021 04:57
(5197)
Scientist tend isolate what ever they are studying, to the fewest possible elements. They eliminate all they can, so they can narrowly focus, on the subject they wish to study. What they end up with, is over simplified, and doesn't work the same way, outside of the lab, with all the crap going on, that they set aside, and forgot about, as unimportant.
21-02-2021 07:15
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Scientist tend isolate what ever they are studying, to the fewest possible elements. They eliminate all they can, so they can narrowly focus, on the subject they wish to study. What they end up with, is over simplified, and doesn't work the same way, outside of the lab, with all the crap going on, that they set aside, and forgot about, as unimportant.

So you have an opinion. It has nothing to do with what I've posted.
21-02-2021 11:35
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
North Pole Weather Today (1–3 days) Mostly dry. Extremely cold (max 3°F on Tue afternoon, min -29°F on Mon morning). Wind will be generally light.
Sat 20 Monday 22
High -20 -18
Low -24 -22
Chill°-35 -33
Surfs up man lets go
21-02-2021 11:53
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
2 Week Extended Forecast in South Pole, Antarctica
high low wind humidity
Sun 21 Feb -41 / -42 °C Cloudy. -58 °C 21 km/h ↑ 56%

22 Feb -40 / -42 °C Light snow. Overcast. -59 °C 25 km/h real cooker here as well.But the ice is melting
21-02-2021 15:37
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
An easy way to consider how small changes can lead to bigger ones is how compound interest is calculated.
It's principal (money borrowed) * (1 + interest rate)^number of years. If interest is compounded during the year then the interest rate is divided by that number. This shows how numbers can be inflated.
With molecules in the atmosphere, stratospheric ozone lasts a long time. Like interest, ozone can accrue over time or with Sudden Stratospheric Warming, it will accrue more quickly. When ozone accrues quickly, something will have needed to "inflate" what allows for ozone to occur naturally.
This is where if gasses like formaldehyde are in such small numbers that they seem to be of no consequence, it's possible that formaldehyde changes readily into other gasses. With the experiment that I'm pursuing, I'm giving a reason other than photolysis. It would be a new theory in atmospheric chemistry. And since I happen to like science and don't mind learning math, why say no to opportunity? I can hearing it knocking on my door.

Edited on 21-02-2021 15:41
21-02-2021 16:30
(5197)
You do understand, that you are looking at a very small area, and a smaller sample, of the entire planet. There is a huge variation, since no two places on earth are exactly alike, or exposed to the same conditions, that effect whatever you are studying. The glaring big difference, should bet that the planet spins, and only half is exposed to sunlight, at any given moment. Earth is round, sort of like a ball. I've never bothered to look into flat-earth views. The curved surface means that the part of the planet exposed to sunlight, isn't going to get the full dose the entire day. Most notable at sunrise and sunset. Sunlight provides energy for a lot of natural processes, which don't happen on the dark side of the planet. But, of course, the lack of energy from the sun, allows other natural processes to take place as well. A lot of the crap that builds up during the daylight hours, gets destroyed overnight. In a lab jar, you control all the variables, and quantities. Those conditions never exist outside. The instruments used in the lab, can be highly precise, but they don't scale up to a planetary size. Best we get from satellites, is an approximation, a huge margin of error. Computers are great, for smoothing things out, filling in some holes, produce pretty pictures too. It's the best we have to work with, so just roll with it, even with the high margin of error.
21-02-2021 16:48
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Harvey, you're just getting into outright ignorance now. You're just making random statements.
Formaldehyde does not occur at night.
Are you sure the planet is round? I've circled it over 360º and have sailed (went by ship) across the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans. As for myself, I think this image from Google Earth shows the curvature of the Earth.

p.s., so it would be a bad thing if an American citizen who is a disabled Veteran discovers a new process in atmospheric chemistry because the US is not a world leader but is a World Beater, right?
Attached image:

Edited on 21-02-2021 16:56
21-02-2021 17:08
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
duncan61 wrote:
North Pole Weather Today (1–3 days) Mostly dry. Extremely cold (max 3°F on Tue afternoon, min -29°F on Mon morning). Wind will be generally light.
Sat 20 Monday 22
High -20 -18
Low -24 -22
Chill°-35 -33
Surfs up man lets go

The image of atmospheric air pressure is from above the north pole.
Looking down into the blue is lower atmospheric air pressure over the Atlantic Ocean. That is also where stratospheric ozone levels are also over 500 dobson units. Warmer stratosphere, cooler troposphere. IMO this helps to show how ozone and atmospheric air pressure + latitude influence atmospheric temperatures.
It has been cold in Great Britain, right?

p.s., the area above the darker blue is Iceland. If people are familiar with Iceland, it's known for hot water because of it giving off a lot of geothermal heat/hot springs. And atmospheric air pressure seems to be a little higher from Iceland and north into the Greenland/Norwegian Sea area (they're 2 separate seas that border each other).
Attached image:

Edited on 21-02-2021 17:16
21-02-2021 18:06
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14411)
James___ wrote:Harvey, you're just getting into outright ignorance now. You're just making random statements.Formaldehyde does not occur at night.

James__, there is a certain irony here, I think you can see it.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
21-02-2021 18:28
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14411)
duncan61 wrote:
Sat 20 Monday 22
High -20 -18
Low -24 -22
Chill°-35 -33
Surfs up man lets go

If you'll take over for litesong, I'll illustrate the berserker heating going on in the Arctic.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
21-02-2021 19:39
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21598)
HarveyH55 wrote:

Science is never 'wrong' or 'right'. Science isn't a set of jars in a lab. It is not even a laboratory. Science is a set of falsifiable theories.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
21-02-2021 19:39
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:Harvey, you're just getting into outright ignorance now. You're just making random statements.Formaldehyde does not occur at night.

James__, there is a certain irony here, I think you can see it.

The US is a World Beater and that makes Harvey right? No wonder I'm not considered an American.
The alternative is that I am an American because I support the US Constitution and you just entered Harvey55 into the Witless Protection Program.
I think it's the latter.
21-02-2021 19:40
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21598)
HarveyH55 wrote:

A theory of science is the same inside, in a lab, outside, and all across the observable universe.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Page 2 of 2<12

Join the debate polar vortex:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Magma vortex hypothesis about earthquakes3716-08-2023 14:54
Polar bears909-09-2022 00:03
Polar vortex regains it's shape and position over the Arctic Video!!!501-06-2021 06:54
Polar vortex pattern suggest we could have a repeat of the 2010 wildfires and drought in Russia! VIDEO!!!1414-05-2021 23:13
Climate overview: erratic polar vortex - cold anomalies over the US and Europe video!!!122-04-2021 20:44
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact