Remember me
▼ Content

Plastic Blood

Plastic Blood01-04-2022 08:47
Spongy IrisProfile picture★★★★☆
(1643)
Came across a study today...

"The study, led by scientists at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, took blood samples from 22 donors and tested them for five different types of plastic.

Plastic particles were found in 17 of the participants."

The health consequences of this discovery are still unknown.

I bet the biggest reason for plastic winding up in your blood is if it's burned, and you inhale its fumes.

Maybe it is not a good idea to melt down and recycle plastic.

01-04-2022 10:34
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1035)
People also drink water from plastic bottles and the water pipes in homes are also made of plastic. Water is a good solvent and plastic slowly dissolves into the water.
01-04-2022 15:45
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5719)
Spongy Iris wrote:

"The study, led by scientists at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, took blood samples from 22 donors and tested them for five different types of plastic.

I bet the biggest reason for plastic winding up in your blood is if it's burned, and you inhale its fumes.

This is not as new as one would thing because most adults have Teflon particles from pots and pans in them along with all sorts of environmental contaminants. This is natures way of incorporating and evolving to a new situation which is the same reason that dissolved salts in the body are identical to seawater
01-04-2022 22:17
(1643)
Since 1980 there has been 1200 million tonnes of plastic incinerated or recycled.

Prior to 1980, all plastic garbage went to landfill.

That looks pretty significant.

Numbers in tonnes:

Plastic burned or recycled: 1,200,000,000

Weight of the atmosphere: 5,500,000 000,000,000

01-04-2022 22:51
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21588)
Xadoman wrote:
People also drink water from plastic bottles and the water pipes in homes are also made of plastic. Water is a good solvent and plastic slowly dissolves into the water.

Plastic is good for you. It protects you from your own bodily fluids.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
02-04-2022 04:07
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
Spongy Iris wrote:

Small sample, preliminary study, instant apocalypse... We are exposed to all kinds of crap, everyday, always have. The environment we've been living in, was never pure, never paradise. We survive, because we are tolerant, and have the means to remove the stuff we don't need from our bodies.
RE: "Maybe it is not a good idea to melt down and recycle plastic."02-04-2022 23:17
sealover
★★★★☆
(1245)
"Maybe it is not a good idea to melt down and recycle plastic."

My only disagreement with the statement is with the word "maybe".

"Maybe" almost seems like a disclaimer.

It is a TERRIBLE idea to melt down and recycle plastic!

A very very bad idea that we should stop doing immediately.

Even if it costs a few people their dangerous jobs recycling plastic!

But it isn't INHALATION of plastic fumes or vapor that show up as "microplastics" in blood.

Inhalation of plastic smoke is plenty bad for health, but it doesn't leave the size of microplastic particles that are found in blood.

People are EATING and DRINKING them now.

Some of them come off the plastic lining in cans or bottles.

Some of them come off the plastic that IS the food or beverage container.

That vomit-inducing vinegar smell when you take the lid off an empty plastic bottle that had time to go through some changes.

Stuff leaches into food and water, and back up the food chain.

Your salmon may not have as much mercury as you feared, but check out how much plastic those guys bioaccumulate now.

So, I agree 100% that:

"Maybe it is not a good idea to melt down and recycle plastic"

Especially if the tiny fraction actually "recycled" provides justification to keep producing the other 95% that nobody even TRIES to recycle.

Maybe it is not a good idea to produce plastic if it is going to get into the environment.

We can't seem to stop ourselves from dumping it everywhere.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Spongy Iris wrote:

03-04-2022 02:14
(1643)
sealover wrote:

It isn't INHALATION of plastic fumes or vapor that show up as "microplastics" in blood.

Inhalation of plastic smoke is plenty bad for health, but it doesn't leave the size of microplastic particles that are found in blood.

That vomit-inducing vinegar smell when you take the lid off an empty plastic bottle that had time to go through some changes.

Your salmon may not have as much mercury as you feared, but check out how much plastic those guys bioaccumulate now.

So, I agree 100% that:

Especially if the tiny fraction actually "recycled" provides justification to keep producing the other 95% that nobody even TRIES to recycle.

Maybe it is not a good idea to produce plastic if it is going to get into the environment.

I will take your word on this one. Thank you.

RE: How a biogeochemist can help with plastics.03-04-2022 05:43
sealover
★★★★☆
(1245)
How a biogeochemist can help with plastics.

Some people believe that the abundance of anthropogenic plastic in the environment is harmful. I am one of them.

I am also a biogeochemist who once intensively researched reductive dehalogenation of xenobiotics. DDT in particular.

I know things most folks don't know about how we can use microorganisms to degrade stuff that everyone thought was NOT biodegradable.

Not just theory. Done with fungi as well as bacteria.

Ideally can be done with fungi AND bacteria in symbiosis.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Spongy Iris wrote:
sealover wrote:

It isn't INHALATION of plastic fumes or vapor that show up as "microplastics" in blood.

So, I agree 100% that:

I will take your word on this one. Thank you.
03-04-2022 08:22
(1643)
sealover wrote:

Some people believe that the abundance of anthropogenic plastic in the environment is harmful. I am one of them.

I am also a biogeochemist who once intensively researched reductive dehalogenation of xenobiotics. DDT in particular.

I know things most folks don't know about how we can use microorganisms to degrade stuff that everyone thought was NOT biodegradable.

The headline I found: Dehalogenation of xenobiotics as a consequence of binding to humic materials.

The humic materials: syringaldehyde, catechol, and humic acid.

Another search: Humic substances from different sources have the potential to act as environmental signals: adult worms migrated towards the humic material. This appears to be a genetically fixed property of adult worms since the animals, for countless generations, have not been in contact with humic substances.

And another search: Humic acid is a chemical produced by decaying plants. People use it to make medicine.

People take humic acid for stimulating the immune system and treating the flu (influenza), avian flu, swine flu, and other viral infections.

How does it work? There isn't enough information available to know how humic acid works.

03-04-2022 16:10
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
sealover wrote:

So, basically there is no actual problem. Nature is taking care of our 'garbage' just fine. The only problem, would be time, and you don't get instant gratification, or get to take credit for solving a non-issue. Humans don't actually create or destroy matter, energy, or anything else. We only change what nature provides, to a more useful form. Only God creates... Not sure why he created demon-spawned liberals, who are hell-bent on destroying all that is good.
RE: Humic Acids: Very Important to Soil Fertility.03-04-2022 20:29
sealover
★★★★☆
(1245)
Humic Acids: Very Important to Soil Fertility.

There is no way to do humic acids justice in one short post.

They are of HUGE significance to soil fertility.

Humic acids usually provide about half that cation exchange capacity, most of the potassium and phosphorus, and nearly ALL the slow release nitrogen in soil.

Without humic acids, soils can only produce high yields with anthropogenic chemotherapy assistance.

Which further depletes the soil humic acids, in a vicious cycle.

Indeed, we have been "substituting oil for soil". Using petrochemical based substitutes for the materials we have been depleting from the soil.

As far as "humic materials" go, the list is very very long.

As "catechol" was mentioned, it does deserve some attention.

Catechol is a benzene ring with two adjacent hydroxyl groups.

Catechol is an ortho dihydric phenolic acid. An organic acid capable of dissociating into protons and organic anions.

Catechol has two hydroxyl groups in ortho position to each other.

The perfect space between them to chelate a transition metal.

The perfect distance between them to occupy anion exchanges sites and prevent the specific adsorption of phosphate. Or displace "fixed" phosphate into solution.

Under acid soil conditions, iron, aluminum, manganese, and other metals in (oxy)hydroxide compounds form positively charged sites on their surface in regularly spaced positions - positions that are a perfect fit for catechol to block as a polydentate organic ligand.

That "catechol moiety", two adjacent hydroxyl groups on a benzene ring, ortho dihydric phenolic acid... Many compounds besides pure catechol have the catechol moiety, and it is an important one in chemical ecology.

Humic acids detoxify aluminum and prevent iron deficiency, among other things.

Humic acids provide the cation exchange capacity to ensure adequate potassium, calcium, and magnesium for plant nutrition.

Humic acids maximize the bioavailability of phosphate and preserve the reservoir of slow release nitrogen retained in organic form.

If you get into the MEDICAL SCIENCE LITERATURE, there are plenty of reasons people are interested in polyphenols and humic acids.

"How they work" in medical science is based on the same chemical properties that make them reactive in the biogeochemistry of soil and ground water.

They are free radical scavengers, anti oxidants, chelating agents for transition metals, protein-complexing agents that deactivate enzymes, complexing agents with polydentate ligand binding sites, and precursors to even LARGER polymers as the humic acids undergo further oxidative coupling.

But, first be aware of the vocabulary limitation.

"Humic acid" is OPERATIONALLY DEFINED in chemical analysis.

Everything that is insoluble in strong mineral acid as called "humic acid".

Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) can tell one a little about what "humic acid" really IS. They are GIGANTIC phenol carboxylic acids, with some lignin character. They are insoluble in acid, because the solubility of organic compounds capable of forming anions is HIGHLY pH DEPENDENT.

Humic acids deserve a lot more attention, and they will be getting it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Spongy Iris wrote:
sealover wrote:

The headline I found: Dehalogenation of xenobiotics as a consequence of binding to humic materials.

The humic materials: syringaldehyde, catechol, and humic acid.

Another search: Humic substances from different sources have the potential to act as environmental signals: adult worms migrated towards the humic material. This appears to be a genetically fixed property of adult worms since the animals, for countless generations, have not been in contact with humic substances.

And another search: Humic acid is a chemical produced by decaying plants. People use it to make medicine.

People take humic acid for stimulating the immune system and treating the flu (influenza), avian flu, swine flu, and other viral infections.

How does it work? There isn't enough information available to know how humic acid works.
07-04-2022 19:47
(1643)
https://www.sciencealert.com/microplastics-are-not-just-in-our-blood-they-re-in-our-lungs-too/amp

Doesn't look like we are just eating plastic, but breathing it in too.

17-05-2022 14:02
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5719)
Spongy Iris wrote:

LOL actually people who cook their food in Teflon pan's have Teflon in their blood as well. This is because DNA purposely picks up what is in the environment to make the organism better suited to that environment. Now how cool would it be if the human body took that Teflon and made slippery friction free knee joints like the replacement Teflon joints now being made.

Reality is not what you think, never was
18-05-2022 18:52
(21588)
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

LOL actually people who cook their food in Teflon pan's have Teflon in their blood as well. This is because DNA purposely picks up what is in the environment to make the organism better suited to that environment. Now how cool would it be if the human body took that Teflon and made slippery friction free knee joints like the replacement Teflon joints now being made.

Omniscience fallacy. You don't get to declare 'reality' for everyone. You only get to declare it for you.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
21-05-2022 17:46
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5719)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Omniscience fallacy. You don't get to declare 'reality' for everyone. You only get to declare it for you.

Time is an illusion as reality itself is not real.
21-05-2022 18:31
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14390)
Swan wrote:Time is an illusion as reality itself is not real.

Reality is comprised of everything that is real, however not everything that is real is part of reality. Hmmmm ... nope, that's not it. Let's try another one.
21-05-2022 18:46
(1643)
IBdaMann wrote:

Reality is comprised of everything that is real, however not everything that is real is part of reality. Hmmmm ... nope, that's not it. Let's try another one.

Time is imaginary.

Reality is what you can get away with.

21-05-2022 23:25
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5719)
IBdaMann wrote:

Time is an illusion

The Illusion of Reality:
The Scientific Proof That Everything is Energy and Reality Isn't Real

What else can we do in the face of what scientists have discovered about reality? It's
unbelievable! Fantastic! And it is quite clearly showing that everything is energy at the most
fundamental levels. Here's a really brief peek at the shocking things quantum physicists now
know about our reality—facts that change everything we believe about life and self, standing it all
on its head just like Copernicus did our view of the solar system all those many centuries ago.
If everybody in the world understood what the next few paragraphs outline about the energetic
nature of reality our planet would change overnight!
22-05-2022 08:07
(14390)
Swan wrote:Time is an illusion

... and movies are just an illusion. And movies take time, which is an illusion, just like the movie.

Wait, are you saying that it's just an illusion that movies take time?

Swan wrote:The Scientific Proof That Everything is Energy and Reality Isn't Real

There is no such thing as scientific proof.

Swan wrote:What else can we do in the face of what scientists have discovered about reality? It's

We point out the errors and then fire their asses. Then we get real scientists to make actual science.

Swan wrote: unbelievable! Fantastic! And it is quite clearly showing that everything is energy at the most
fundamental levels.

You act like this is a recent discovery made by "scientists."

I was taught as a child that everything is energy in one form or another.

This is not somehow "just being discovered." It is, and has been, postulated. It seems to be right ... for the time being.

Swan wrote: Here's a really brief peek at the shocking things quantum physicists now know about our reality

Quantum physicists don't know anything. Everything is speculation with presumed uncertainty. In fact, there are more unsolved puzzles than there are solved ones.

Swan wrote:—facts that change everything we believe about life and self, standing it all on its head just like Copernicus did our view of the solar system all those many centuries ago.

Ummmm, ... nope.

Swan wrote:If everybody in the world understood what the next few paragraphs outline about the energetic nature of reality our planet would change overnight!

Speaking in the subjunctive never equates to brilliance.

... or are you claiming that I am simply brilliant?

I suppose the world would certainly change for the better if everyone were more like me.

OK, I'll grant you that much.

Let's start with you. All the places in the world with moraines were NOT under ice at the same time. Now, go forth and make the world a better place.
22-05-2022 21:16
(21588)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
Spongy Iris wrote:

Time is an illusion as reality itself is not real.

Paradox. Irrational.

The Parrot Killer

22-05-2022 21:18
(21588)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Time is an illusion

The Illusion of Reality:

What else can we do in the face of what scientists have discovered about reality? It's
unbelievable! Fantastic! And it is quite clearly showing that everything is energy at the most
fundamental levels. Here's a really brief peek at the shocking things quantum physicists now
know about our reality—facts that change everything we believe about life and self, standing it all
on its head just like Copernicus did our view of the solar system all those many centuries ago.
If everybody in the world understood what the next few paragraphs outline about the energetic

Paradox. Irrational. Not science. Nothing to do with Copernicus. Nothing to do with quantum mechanics.

The Parrot Killer

22-05-2022 22:08
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5719)
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Time is an illusion

The Illusion of Reality:

Paradox. Irrational. Not science. Nothing to do with Copernicus. Nothing to do with quantum mechanics.

Both time and reality are illusions created by thoughts in illusionary minds

That concept of time is a figment of our imagination. It's an illusion. We made it so real in our minds that we try to measure it. We even try to envision a beginning and end to time.

Neil Turok, a physicist at the University of Cambridge, said, "There doesn't have to be a beginning of time. According to our theory, the universe may be infinitely old and infinitely large." 3

If we can accept that time doesn't exist, then Professor Turok's statement is even more plausible. We don't have to try to pinpoint a beginning or an end. Remember, it's merely a concept that we imagine.
23-05-2022 00:08
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
Swan wrote:
If we can accept that time doesn't exist, then Professor Turok's statement is even more plausible. We don't have to try to pinpoint a beginning or an end. Remember, it's merely a concept that we imagine.

If we can accept that fossil fuels exist, then Swan's statement is even more plausible. We don't have to try to pinpoint a definition of what it is. Remember, it's merely a concept that we imagine.

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
23-05-2022 01:41
(14390)
Swan wrote:If we can accept that time doesn't exist,

Can you give me some time to think about it?
23-05-2022 02:49
duncan61
★★★★★
(2021)
Time is the continued sequence of existence and events that occurs in an apparently irreversible succession from the past, through the present, into the future. I am confident this is happening to me right now
23-05-2022 08:36
(21588)
Swan wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Time is an illusion

The Illusion of Reality:

Both time and reality are illusions created by thoughts in illusionary minds

That concept of time is a figment of our imagination. It's an illusion. We made it so real in our minds that we try to measure it. We even try to envision a beginning and end to time.

Neil Turok, a physicist at the University of Cambridge, said, "There doesn't have to be a beginning of time. According to our theory, the universe may be infinitely old and infinitely large." 3

Paradox. Irrational. You cannot argue both sides of a paradox.

The Parrot Killer

23-05-2022 08:37
(21588)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Swan wrote:

If we can accept that fossil fuels exist, then Swan's statement is even more plausible. We don't have to try to pinpoint a definition of what it is. Remember, it's merely a concept that we imagine.
Fossils don't burn. We don't use them for fuel.

The Parrot Killer

23-05-2022 13:10
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5719)
IBdaMann wrote:

Your thoughts have no effect on the matrix, they just want you to think that they do
23-05-2022 18:01
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
Into the Night wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Swan wrote:

Lol. I was being ridiculous.

IF we just eccept PLAUSIBILITY,
we can easily jump to what we know, even if it is only our IMAGINATION.

Of course fossils are useless as fuel, and of course we all know the term "fossil fuels" is referring to natural gas, coal and oil. However, use of that terminology only gives legs to the propaganda phrase that it is.

Radiation will not penetrate a perfect insulator, thus as I said space is not a perfect insulator.- Swan
23-05-2022 19:35
(21588)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Swan wrote:

Lol. I was being ridiculous.

IF we just eccept PLAUSIBILITY,
we can easily jump to what we know, even if it is only our IMAGINATION.

Of course fossils are useless as fuel, and of course we all know the term "fossil fuels" is referring to natural gas, coal and oil. However, use of that terminology only gives legs to the propaganda phrase that it is.

Why give legs to propaganda?? Don't we have enough of it??

The Parrot Killer

23-05-2022 22:51
(14390)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Your thoughts have no effect on the matrix, they just want you to think that they do

For how long have they wanted me to think that?
23-05-2022 23:06
SwanProfile picture★★★★★
(5719)
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Time is an illusion
23-05-2022 23:34
(21588)
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:
Swan wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Time is an illusion

Lunch time doubly so.
-- Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Parrot Killer

Join the debate Plastic Blood:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
blood relatives123-02-2022 18:52
Is Recycling plastic bottles realistic?924-02-2020 23:35
Does anyone knew that plastic bags were made to save the planet ?215-11-2019 02:19
Removing plastic cards from the system306-07-2019 05:14
Climate Change Enters Its Blood-Sucking Phase123-02-2019 05:04
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact