Remember me
▼ Content

Oklahoma Earthquakes And The Rise In Fracking

Oklahoma Earthquakes And The Rise In Fracking19-12-2017 00:06
moncktonProfile picture★★★☆☆
(436)
The earth is shaking in Oklahoma, and it's far from normal –– a recent study by Cornell University and the U.S. Geological Survey has linked the state's exponential spike in earthquakes with a surge in hydraulic fracturing, or fracking. Imran Garda talks to worried Oklahomans and gets a behind-the-scenes look at how the chemical-laced water required to frack is disposed of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2ky6NkwzUk

And what's that from 6 mins?
Surprise surprise - unregulated dumping of waste water into open pits with no membrane.

"Bring us your sick and tired, your educated ..."
19-12-2017 00:36
still learning
★★☆☆☆
(244)
That 2014 video is kind of out of date now.

That continued injection of fracking (or any kind of) wastewater onto a disposal well long enough can and sometimes does cause earthquakes is established. I think that even in Oklahoma that is now recognized and that they now regulate at least a little.

The dumping of wastewater into open ponds? Nothing to do with earthquakes, but it might well ruin the land for agricultural purposes, depending on what's in the wastewater.

Out current head of the US EPA was Oklahoma Attorney General, I think, when the earthquake injection went on. Didn't see a need to regulate.
19-12-2017 01:02
moncktonProfile picture★★★☆☆
(436)
Just background, but it's all news here.
Did you know the Stefan-Boltzman law was deduced in 1879? Fascinating.
Half the twats in this place must have buckles on their shoes.

Oklahoma's fracking-induced earthquakes are not going to stop - Aug 2017

Last week, Oklahoma found itself in the news again for a swarm of earthquakes that struck the state Tuesday through Thursday. The largest one, at 4.2 on the Richter scale, was large enough to rattle windows and nerves across Edmond, a large suburb of Oklahoma City.

This wasn't supposed to happen anymore....

https://thinkprogress.org/oklahoma-fracking-earthquakes-arent-over-403d464e35a8/
Edited on 19-12-2017 01:14
20-12-2017 18:04
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
still learning wrote:

That continued injection of fracking (or any kind of) wastewater onto a disposal well long enough can and sometimes does cause earthquakes is established. I think that even in Oklahoma that is now recognized and that they now regulate at least a little.

The dumping of wastewater into open ponds? Nothing to do with earthquakes, but it might well ruin the land for agricultural purposes, depending on what's in the wastewater.

Out current head of the US EPA was Oklahoma Attorney General, I think, when the earthquake injection went on. Didn't see a need to regulate.

Do you live in Oklahoma and have you felt any earthquakes there?

I should also add that any earthquakes would NOT be due to fracking but from pumping oil out of the ground for 150 years leaving open caverns that can collapse. The sort of earthquakes that occur there supports such a supposition.

Fracking would be more likely to reduce earthquakes by filling in these drained wells and filling the caverns.
Edited on 20-12-2017 18:12
20-12-2017 19:22
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21596)
Wake wrote:
still learning wrote:

I should also add that any earthquakes would NOT be due to fracking but from pumping oil out of the ground for 150 years leaving open caverns that can collapse. The sort of earthquakes that occur there supports such a supposition.

Fracking would be more likely to reduce earthquakes by filling in these drained wells and filling the caverns.

They just aren't caverns. Capped wells refill with oil over time.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
20-12-2017 23:24
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
still learning wrote:

Take your tiresome crap elsewhere. They do not "refill" which is WHY they use fracking you moron.
20-12-2017 23:41
(21596)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
still learning wrote:

Take your tiresome crap elsewhere. They do not "refill" which is WHY they use fracking you moron.

They DO refill. They also use fracking. We have more oil available now. There's plenty of it.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
21-12-2017 01:08
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
still learning wrote:

They DO refill. They also use fracking. We have more oil available now. There's plenty of it.

Is there ANYTHING you really know about? Contrary to your wild eyed opinions, oil does not generate itself out of water and dirt.

Oil well production usually goes down about 3% per year over the life of production. They would close some wells down and reopen them before they had fracking technology. Fracking doesn't make oil, it simply makes it more available.

They have pumped several tens of cubic miles of oil out of the Oklahoma oil production areas since the turn of the 20th century. Any ass would expect a collapse of these emptied caverns. These "earthquakes" are severely localized and circular in area. They are little more than a minor shaking and it is localized directly around the wells.

If you don't understand engineering or science please keep your stupid statements to yourself and tell yourself you're brilliant like litebrain. Save for your position on AGW you are two peas in a pod.
21-12-2017 06:02
(21596)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
still learning wrote:

Is there ANYTHING you really know about? Contrary to your wild eyed opinions, oil does not generate itself out of water and dirt.

Never said it did. The wells DO refill.
Wake wrote:
Oil well production usually goes down about 3% per year over the life of production.

During pumping, that is the expected drop, however, some fields produce far more than expected.
Wake wrote:
They would close some wells down and reopen them before they had fracking technology.

Nope. Wells pumped 'dry' would refill after capping. They produce normally.
Wake wrote:
Fracking doesn't make oil, it simply makes it more available.

That's what I said, dumbass. Pay attention.
Wake wrote:
They have pumped several tens of cubic miles of oil out of the Oklahoma oil production areas since the turn of the 20th century.

I think you are just making this number up. Argument from randU.
Wake wrote:
Any ass would expect a collapse of these emptied caverns.

They are not just caverns. They refill.
Wake wrote:
These "earthquakes" are severely localized and circular in area.

What earthquakes?
Wake wrote:
They are little more than a minor shaking and it is localized directly around the wells.
...deleted Mantra 2...2...1...1...10...1...

Really? Never heard of any.

The Parrot Killer

21-12-2017 17:31
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
still learning wrote:

Wake wrote:
Oil well production usually goes down about 3% per year over the life of production.

During pumping, that is the expected drop, however, some fields produce far more than expected.
Wake wrote:
They would close some wells down and reopen them before they had fracking technology.

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:
They have pumped several tens of cubic miles of oil out of the Oklahoma oil production areas since the turn of the 20th century.

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

What earthquakes?
Wake wrote:
They are little more than a minor shaking and it is localized directly around the wells.

You are so stupid you don't even know what this string is about. Your total knowledge of geology can be summed up with the number zero.

https://earthquaketrack.com/p/united-states/oklahoma/recent

You wouldn't even think of not acting like a jackass.

Now I fully expect you to say that "zero" is not a number.
Edited on 21-12-2017 17:33
21-12-2017 20:30
(21596)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
still learning wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

Wake wrote:

What earthquakes?
Wake wrote:

...deleted Mantra 1...fallacy fallacy...2...1...
https://earthquaketrack.com/p/united-states/oklahoma/recent
...deleted Mantra 1...non-sequitur...

Nothing to see here...this is actually quieter than the usual rumblings you get pretty much anywhere.

So I ask again...what quakes?

The Parrot Killer

Join the debate Oklahoma Earthquakes And The Rise In Fracking:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Why are earthquakes more likely to occur at night than during the day1709-11-2023 12:39
Magma vortex hypothesis about earthquakes3716-08-2023 14:54
Florida in hot water as ocean temperatures rise along with the humidity213-07-2023 15:50
Methane big part of 'alarming' rise in planet-warming gases106-04-2023 21:46
Satellite Measurements-- Sea Level Rise7124-08-2022 01:36
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact