Remember me
▼ Content

Oh No! Greenland is Melting, at an alarming rate...

Oh No! Greenland is Melting, at an alarming rate...02-08-2019 18:37
HarveyH55
★★★☆☆
(982)
https://www.wftv.com/news/national-news/ap-top-news/walloped-by-heat-wave-greenland-sees-massive-ice-melt/971884535

Apparently. France's heat wave shifted north, and Greenland is on track for record breaking ice melt this summer. The anticipate it to break the 2012 record of 90%, well before the end of summer melting season.

The addressed rising sea levels, of course, but unfortunately, they didn't make much sense. More confusing than usual. Sort of looked like they dug up all the past, failed predictions, and put them into the story, without checking for conflicts. I don't personally believe floating ice will raise the sea level, or the run off from land ice, to do much of anything either. Doesn't matter, I know how to swim pretty good. With 80% of the planet surface water, should be a required skill in public school. Good chance most everyone will be in a situation where it would come in hand. Swimming is also on of the best exercises, works pretty much ever muscle at one time. Great for the heart, and lungs. Instead of a sweaty locker room smell, you smell clean, like bleach, after you workout. Yeah, I was a competitive swimmer, from age 9, through High School... Oh, and it's self motivating too, when you are in the water, it's either swim, or sink and drown...

Do the people of Greenland really want to keep all that ice anyway? I wasn't loving out in Oregon. Seems like if the ice was gone, they'd have more land to use for farming and stuff. They would have better access to the ocean, and have more use of it, other than the few melted months each year.
02-08-2019 19:16
Into the Night
★★★★★
(8642)
HarveyH55 wrote:
https://www.wftv.com/news/national-news/ap-top-news/walloped-by-heat-wave-greenland-sees-massive-ice-melt/971884535

Apparently. France's heat wave shifted north, and Greenland is on track for record breaking ice melt this summer. The anticipate it to break the 2012 record of 90%, well before the end of summer melting season.

The addressed rising sea levels, of course, but unfortunately, they didn't make much sense. More confusing than usual. Sort of looked like they dug up all the past, failed predictions, and put them into the story, without checking for conflicts. I don't personally believe floating ice will raise the sea level, or the run off from land ice, to do much of anything either. Doesn't matter, I know how to swim pretty good. With 80% of the planet surface water, should be a required skill in public school. Good chance most everyone will be in a situation where it would come in hand. Swimming is also on of the best exercises, works pretty much ever muscle at one time. Great for the heart, and lungs. Instead of a sweaty locker room smell, you smell clean, like bleach, after you workout. Yeah, I was a competitive swimmer, from age 9, through High School... Oh, and it's self motivating too, when you are in the water, it's either swim, or sink and drown...

Do the people of Greenland really want to keep all that ice anyway? I wasn't loving out in Oregon. Seems like if the ice was gone, they'd have more land to use for farming and stuff. They would have better access to the ocean, and have more use of it, other than the few melted months each year.

The people of Greenland generally don't live where most of the ice of Greenland exists (in the central high basin). They live for the most part along the southern and eastern coasts, which are normally ice free part of the year anyway. Separating the two is a mountain range that basically encircles the central high basin.

The only way for ice (or water) to flow out of that basin is a gap in those mountains on the northwest corner of the subcontinent. There is no significant increase of flow occurring there.

The Parrot Killer
Join the debate Oh No! Greenland is Melting, at an alarming rate...:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Cause of global warming: melting glaciers.2425-07-2019 18:35
Climate Change causing Iguana populations to grow, at an alarming rate!003-07-2019 04:04
ice melting223-06-2019 19:52
Temperatures leap 40 degrees above normal as the Arctic Ocean and Greenland ice sheet see record June mel318-06-2019 06:22
Siberian ice melting!012-06-2019 21:32
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2019 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact