Remember me
▼ Content

O2C predicted to rise in the future?

O2C predicted to rise in the future?20-04-2019 04:28
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
In the future the world is crowded, poor, chaotic, dystopian, so no money for wind turbines and solar panels. As depicted in Idiocracy, main source of energy is burning fossil fuel. So that means, O2C will rise dramatically in the future?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Leyn-oS5ASI
Edited on 20-04-2019 04:28
20-04-2019 04:41
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
In the future the world is crowded, poor, chaotic, dystopian, so no money for wind turbines and solar panels. As depicted in Idiocracy, main source of energy is burning fossil fuel. So that means, O2C will rise dramatically in the future?

Tai, You are right my friend. Burning fossil fuels and being dependent on it does not lead to innovation in the future. That is what we need to consider.
Could you imagine if China controls the South China Sea and Russia controls the Arctic? Alternative energy would mean that cooperation is needed. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We do appreciate your kind thoughts.

It's possible that none of these guys ever read the book called The White Road. Anyway I think that's it's name. It's about a Brit's love for porcelain and his journeys to China because of it.
I think for the author it was more nostalgia about the history of porcelain than anything else. These guys might have a different perspective on porcelain and it's history.
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/13/books/review/the-white-road-by-edmund-de-waal.html
The link is to the book.
Edited on 20-04-2019 05:39
20-04-2019 06:17
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Что? Я Американски. Только спросите меня. Я вас буду сказать. Sure is nice having a Russian keyboard on my phone. Я не изучить. Почему? Почему не Я сказала. I mean really, the Arctic is supposed to hold about as much oil as the South China Sea.
You guys are a lot of fun. A little too serious at times. If you must know, I am an American citizen. I am not considered an American because my father was from Norway. In the US, that matters more than my being a Veteran.
Besides, China plays the long game like Russia does. The US relies on innovation. Once it loses that edge then consider who controls energy and resources.
Politics can be a beotch.
Edited on 20-04-2019 06:55
20-04-2019 21:09
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21588)
James___ wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

Tai, You are right my friend. Burning fossil fuels and being dependent on it does not lead to innovation in the future. That is what we need to consider.

Fossils don't burn. We don't use them for fuel. Burning coal, oil, natural gas, and other fuels HAS lead to innovation. The computer you use, for example.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
21-04-2019 01:34
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
Into the Night wrote:Fossils don't burn.

The Cathedral of Notre Dame certainly burned.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
21-04-2019 04:15
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

Can you suggest any "dystopian society" between great civilizations? What is O2C besides a business practice?

What is strange to me is that the continuous effort to portray the world as getting worse and worse when it is getting better and better despite massive increases in populations.

Could this be because you are all so young, have no world experience and have never actually done anything in your lives and hence haven't the slightest confidence in the world around you?

As society advanced they have found a way around any and EVERY roadblock. The great disease epidemics never gave any dystopian societies but another reason for science to overcome these problems. Today we essentially have no great epidemics anywhere in the world with scare tactics about epidemics that consist of a dozen individuals.

Neither solar nor wind will EVER develop any significant power. To think they will is completely foolish. In general the ONLY reason that we have any at all is because of governmental subsidies. NO private company would even try these foolish projects without the profit margins from tax exempt subsidies.

Will fossil fuels ever run out? That's really doubtful since this planet contains so much nuclear fuel that liquid fluorine salt cooled thorium breeder reactors make almost as much fuel as they consume. Thorium is 2/3rds as common in the Earth's crust as lead is. So energy for the future is absolutely NOT a problem.

If you want to stop population growth in order to save natural resources you simply make people as rich as we in the US are. At that point the population growth will go into the NEGATIVE numbers because the reason that man has children is to protect him in his older years. Sufficient energy and sufficient food would cause less that replacement regeneration.

What is behind the environmental scares is as it has always been - the desire for genocide. Not only was this the purpose of Planned Parenthood, its founder, Margaret Sanger not only stated it in one of her books but suggested that they somehow get black preachers on their side to combat the fears of genocide.

So it is pure idiotic fiction that there was EVER a dystopian society rather than some that were down on their luck for awhile until one of their thinkers begot a way around it.
21-04-2019 04:22
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
IBdaMann wrote:

Burned more than 11 hours, releasing a considerable quantity of CO2...

Seems really odd, how quickly the determined it was cause by faulty wiring. An old structure, of such great historical value, would have been better maintained, and kept up to all the latest safety codes and equipment. Don't see how they would of had a problem finding the money to keep such a treasure safe. Every detail of the structure has been studied many times, all work done, carefully documented. Never been to france, but don't get the impression they are cheap and lazy over there. An accident just seems a little convient.
21-04-2019 19:33
(21588)
IBdaMann wrote:

The Cathedral of Notre Dame is not a fossil either. It's a building. A real tragedy, losing a national icon for France. I am not Catholic, so their 'precious relics' such as the shroud and the Crown of Thorns mean nothing to me, but it is a loss of a national icon, and a beautiful building.

The parts that burned were the oak timbers in the roof (they don't have trees in France to replace them), and part of the lead roof that melted and collapsed without their supporting timbers. The spire, which was of steel lattice construction, couldn't take the heat and likewise collapsed.

Some building exterior was damaged, including some statues like the gargoyles, but they are largely stone and they can be restored. The roof is open to the weather, though, so it's a race against time to seal it enough to prevent further damage to the interior.

Many in France are rallying to restore the building, but it's going to take time to find the materials and reconstruct what was lost. It's not just about money. It's also about the cost in time to restore it.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
21-04-2019 19:39
(21588)
HarveyH55 wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

Burned more than 11 hours, releasing a considerable quantity of CO2...

Seems really odd, how quickly the determined it was cause by faulty wiring. An old structure, of such great historical value, would have been better maintained, and kept up to all the latest safety codes and equipment.

The faulty wiring was from the restoration work. It was temporary wiring.
HarveyH55 wrote:
Don't see how they would of had a problem finding the money to keep such a treasure safe.
The restoration work was commissioned to do just that. Obviously, they failed.
HarveyH55 wrote:
Every detail of the structure has been studied many times, all work done, carefully documented. Never been to france, but don't get the impression they are cheap and lazy over there. An accident just seems a little convient.

They are a bit on the lazy side, and they don't have the kind of bureaucracy that we have in the United States. Electrical fires happen here too. Often with construction crews and their temporary wiring. I consider this an accident. It happened to hit an icon of the nation of France and of Paris, but still an accident like many others with construction and restoration work that happen anywhere, even the United States.

The Parrot Killer

21-04-2019 22:35
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
I'd expect them to find a reputable firm of professionals to do the work, who fully understood the task, and the value, insured and bonded. Accidents around here, are mostly the companies that employ day laborers. Some are skilled enough, just have a few personal issues, like drugs and alcohol. Others, might have the basic skills and aptitude to learn the job, but suffer from language issues. France is a different culture, likely have different standards and practices. We don't leave extension cords plugged in, when not in use, and we unplug our tools, when done as well. It helps reduce other kinds of accidents, besides fire.

My point was that they determine the cause kind of quick, probably still warm. It's a very large building, lot of damage to look over. Have to admit, there would be little benefit to burn it deliberately, other than donation money. A terrorist would have claimed victory, and would have tried to kill a bunch of people, beside destroying an icon.
21-04-2019 23:03
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
I'd expect them to find a reputable firm of professionals to do the work, who fully understood the task, and the value, insured and bonded. Accidents around here, are mostly the companies that employ day laborers. Some are skilled enough, just have a few personal issues, like drugs and alcohol. Others, might have the basic skills and aptitude to learn the job, but suffer from language issues. France is a different culture, likely have different standards and practices. We don't leave extension cords plugged in, when not in use, and we unplug our tools, when done as well. It helps reduce other kinds of accidents, besides fire.

My point was that they determine the cause kind of quick, probably still warm. It's a very large building, lot of damage to look over. Have to admit, there would be little benefit to burn it deliberately, other than donation money. A terrorist would have claimed victory, and would have tried to kill a bunch of people, beside destroying an icon.

Terrorists can't claim responsibility if it's ruled an accident. If it was terrorism, by ignoring it terrorists just lost something they could use for recruitment purposes.
Take 9:11 for example.
[9:11] But if they repent and establish Prayer and give Zakah they are your brothers in faith. Thus do We expound Our revelations to those who know.

And then if we consider 9:12;
And if they break their oaths after their treaty and defame your religion, then fight the leaders of disbelief, for indeed, there are no oaths [sacred] to them; [fight them that] they might cease.

Does 9:11 mean anything? If it has any religious context, those Muslims that were involved got it wrong. The Qu'ran only has 1 book with 9 chapters. The U.S. in my opinion would have been better off showing where Allah did not support such attacks by saying those who did so violated the Qu'ran.
That's kind of how you take religion out of things. Just show where they got it wrong. And with the fire of the Notre Dame Cathedral, we'll probably never know the truth. I do support rebuilding it though because to those outside of France it is as much a part of France as the Eiffel Tower.

And ITN, I do know that I am wrong and you are right. You and IBDaMann have logic which is not falsifiable like a belief in the Great Spirit. We know this.
Edited on 21-04-2019 23:06
22-04-2019 02:08
(21588)
HarveyH55 wrote:
I'd expect them to find a reputable firm of professionals to do the work, who fully understood the task, and the value, insured and bonded.

They were.
HarveyH55 wrote:
Accidents around here, are mostly the companies that employ day laborers.

WRONG. Accidents around here often involve full-time employees.
HarveyH55 wrote:
Some are skilled enough, just have a few personal issues, like drugs and alcohol.

WRONG. Practically any construction company tests their employees on a regular basis for just such a problem. They don't work there anymore. It's too dangerous to the other workers.
HarveyH55 wrote:
Others, might have the basic skills and aptitude to learn the job, but suffer from language issues.

WRONG. They are U.S. citizens, like you and me.
HarveyH55 wrote:
France is a different culture, likely have different standards and practices.

While true, the same thing could've happened anywhere.
HarveyH55 wrote:
We don't leave extension cords plugged in, when not in use, and we unplug our tools, when done as well.

WRONG. Construction crews often leave some cords plugged in. They are used to run equipment while they are not there, such as fans or theft monitoring equipment.
HarveyH55 wrote:
It helps reduce other kinds of accidents, besides fire.

WRONG. If there is no one to trip over it. It's not a hazard, is it?
HarveyH55 wrote:
My point was that they determine the cause kind of quick, probably still warm.

No, it's cold now. The fire's out. Determining the cause is not difficult.
HarveyH55 wrote:
It's a very large building, lot of damage to look over.

It's not that large, and the damage has been looked over.
HarveyH55 wrote:
Have to admit, there would be little benefit to burn it deliberately, other than donation money.

No, it was an accident.
HarveyH55 wrote:
A terrorist would have claimed victory, and would have tried to kill a bunch of people, beside destroying an icon.

No terrorist burned the building. The fire started in the roof structure where the work was being done.

The building is largely stone. A terrorist would blow up the building, not burn it.

The Parrot Killer

22-04-2019 07:17
(14389)
Into the Night wrote:The spire, which was of steel lattice construction, couldn't take the heat and likewise collapsed.

What version of "heat" could it not take?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
22-04-2019 07:23
(14389)
HarveyH55 wrote: Never been to france, but don't get the impression they are cheap and lazy over there. An accident just seems a little convient.
I stopped by the cathedral about six years ago. Wow, how time flies. It is a shame that it has been damaged. I don't imagine that tourism will be hurt.

22-04-2019 19:08
(21588)
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:The spire, which was of steel lattice construction, couldn't take the heat and likewise collapsed.

convective and conductive.

The Parrot Killer

22-04-2019 20:19
(14389)
Into the Night wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

At least it handled the radiative "heat." That and the political heat as well. Cathedrals have traditionally been good at that.

22-04-2019 22:19
(21588)
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

At least it handled the radiative "heat." That and the political heat as well. Cathedrals have traditionally been good at that.

Quite true!

The Parrot Killer

Join the debate O2C predicted to rise in the future?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
THE FUTURE OF HYDROGEN POWER3109-08-2023 19:29
Florida in hot water as ocean temperatures rise along with the humidity213-07-2023 15:50
Carbon losses from soil predicted to enhance climate change5216-06-2023 09:44
Methane big part of 'alarming' rise in planet-warming gases106-04-2023 21:46
Climate Change: The Science of Global Warming and Our Energy Future, just $133.79419-02-2023 14:09
Articles
Barack Obama: Securing Our Energy Future
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact