Remember me
▼ Content

Norwegian Renewables Nazis

Norwegian Renewables Nazis07-12-2020 20:36
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5193)
https://hackaday.com/2020/12/07/norway-leads-the-charge-to-phase-out-internal-combustion-china-and-the-uk-to-follow/

Earlier this year, we looked at the city of Brussels, which aims to ban all fossil fuel transport from its city centre by 2035. However, such a heavy-handed measure isn't necessarily practical worldwide, particularly for those stuck driving older vehicles in areas without strong public transport links. Instead, different states and countries are setting their own timelines on the phase-out of fossil fuel vehicles in an aim to move towards a cleaner transport mix.

One of the fastest-moving is Norway. With electric and hybrid cars making up over 50% of sales since 2017, they're well placed to complete the transition away from internal combustion. EVs alone made up 41% of new car purchases in 2019. The country plans to reach zero sales of fossil fuel vehicles by 2025, though an outright ban is not yet solidified by law.

How many Norwegians does it take to push a dead battery EV to the side of the road?

Much longer article, about the other climate-communist countries efforts to undermine energy independence. The comments after the article, are predictably amusing. Where are we going to get all the rare earth metals, to accommodate all these hundreds of millions of electric vehicles? These metals are 'rare', and the high demand is going to push the price of batteries very high. The same battery technology, is used in most everything these days. With the push to depend on solar panels and windmills, homes are pretty much required, to have these batteries, to store as much/more, than they need, just to charge their car. Cell phones, portable gadgets and toys, also use the same rare earth metals batteries. These batteries are 'sensitive', and need attention, and care. They fail, when abused, or neglected frequently. We are being forced into depending on those batteries, in a big way, and at great expense, if we don't take care of them.

The plan is to stop selling internal combustion cars altogether in 15 years, in the countries listed in the article. Pretty ambitious, and unlikely to be enough batteries, or solar panels and windmills to support them. Kind of sucks, because the used car market, will get expensive. Internal combustion is still going to be king of the road for decades, since the electric grid is going to be strained, and expensive, unreliable.
07-12-2020 21:50
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14373)
HarveyH55 wrote:How many Norwegians does it take to push a dead battery EV to the side of the road?
Answer: To get to the other side!

Harvey, thank you for posting the link to this article. It is very interesting.

Lewin Day in Hackaday writes: Climate change promises to cause untold damage across the world if greenhouse gas emissions continue at current levels for much longer.

To Lewin Day I would ask:
1) What exactly is Climate Change (no one seems to know)?
2) Why is the damage that will be caused around the world still "untold" after all these decades?
3) What is greenhouse gas and why is it harmful?
4) How much longer is the "very much longer" that determines whether planet earth suffers untold damage vs. no damage like we see today?

Lewin Day in Hackaday writes: Despite the wealth of evidence indicating impending doom, governments have done what humans do best, and procrastinated on solving the issue.

To Lewin Day I would respond:
1) Thank you for not getting bogged down in the weeds with exactly what is included in the "wealth of evidence." It is entirely sufficient to simply point out that anyone who dares to question you must be a total moron and should be immediately ignored.
2) Thank you for not getting bogged down in the weeds with exactly what this "impending doom" entails. It is entirely sufficient to simply point out that anyone who asks must be a total moron and should be immediately ignored.
3) Thank you for not getting bogged down in the weeds with detailed explanations of how governments should be solving these completely undefined threats. It is entirely sufficient to simply point out that anyone who doesn't hand over all his cash to the government must totally hate humanity and should be immediately imprisoned.

Good stuff.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
07-12-2020 22:13
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
https://hackaday.com/2020/12/07/norway-leads-the-charge-to-phase-out-internal-combustion-china-and-the-uk-to-follow/

Earlier this year, we looked at the city of Brussels, which aims to ban all fossil fuel transport from its city centre by 2035. However, such a heavy-handed measure isn't necessarily practical worldwide, particularly for those stuck driving older vehicles in areas without strong public transport links. Instead, different states and countries are setting their own timelines on the phase-out of fossil fuel vehicles in an aim to move towards a cleaner transport mix.

One of the fastest-moving is Norway. With electric and hybrid cars making up over 50% of sales since 2017, they're well placed to complete the transition away from internal combustion. EVs alone made up 41% of new car purchases in 2019. The country plans to reach zero sales of fossil fuel vehicles by 2025, though an outright ban is not yet solidified by law.

How many Norwegians does it take to push a dead battery EV to the side of the road?

Much longer article, about the other climate-communist countries efforts to undermine energy independence. The comments after the article, are predictably amusing. Where are we going to get all the rare earth metals, to accommodate all these hundreds of millions of electric vehicles? These metals are 'rare', and the high demand is going to push the price of batteries very high. The same battery technology, is used in most everything these days. With the push to depend on solar panels and windmills, homes are pretty much required, to have these batteries, to store as much/more, than they need, just to charge their car. Cell phones, portable gadgets and toys, also use the same rare earth metals batteries. These batteries are 'sensitive', and need attention, and care. They fail, when abused, or neglected frequently. We are being forced into depending on those batteries, in a big way, and at great expense, if we don't take care of them.

The plan is to stop selling internal combustion cars altogether in 15 years, in the countries listed in the article. Pretty ambitious, and unlikely to be enough batteries, or solar panels and windmills to support them. Kind of sucks, because the used car market, will get expensive. Internal combustion is still going to be king of the road for decades, since the electric grid is going to be strained, and expensive, unreliable.

You're just jealous because you simply have no understanding of science and care nothing for innovation.
07-12-2020 23:34
Xadoman
★★★★☆
(1029)
I will never buy an electric car. The long charging time completely kills it for me.
08-12-2020 00:36
(5193)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

You're just jealous because you simply have no understanding of science and care nothing for innovation.

Jealous of what? I have a pretty good understanding of science and technology, that applies to the thing I use and work with. I've no interest in spending all my free time studying, when I could be actually building something. Just finished building sort of an Airsoft turret to play with my raccoon neighbors. Have to wait on my hard drive to finish it's backup, before I can do much work on the programming. Got a hunch the physical build was the easy part. Be my first wireless project I'll have to program myself. There is already code available for much of what I need, just have to customize and add a little more. I'll be using transceiver modules, so the turret can have a motion detector to alert me. when something is in range. I'll add a wireless camera and laser pointer later. Can just use my security cameras, and sweep the general direction. I'd go full automatic, but I have cats, plus I don't want to waste pellets on false triggers. I'm not to confident with the weatherproofing. Should hold up okay to a light sprinkle, but that's not usually the case in Florida.
08-12-2020 16:24
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
Xadoman wrote:
I will never buy an electric car. The long charging time completely kills it for me.

I could make one work for most of what I do (commute to and from work, commute to and from my granny's house)... Where it would not work for me is whenever I wish to take longer road trips for hiking or otherwise (where it is simply not feasible to wait for even a half hour, let alone much longer, to refuel).

Overall, they are quite simply not what I am looking for or wish to have, and the fact that the government wishes to jam them down my throat makes me even less inclined to get one.
08-12-2020 17:46
(5193)
I don't really like modern, high-tech transportation. Prefer to keep it simple, so I can do my own repairs and service. I keep tools in my car, and can usually effect repairs, that will get me back on the road, in a short time. With all the technology in new cars, it gets tougher, and most people need to call a tow truck, and get it repaired (days). Electric vehicles are going to be almost zero user serviceable. I'm sure there will be some means to get a quick charge on the side of the road, eventually... Electric vehicles are mostly rich-kid toys. The battery alone, cost as much, or more than I spent on any vehicle I've ever owned. EV is more about forcing people into mass transit.
08-12-2020 21:27
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

No, that would be YOU that has no understanding of science. Innovation is engineering, not science.

Banning internal combustion engines is pointless. Electric cars have several severe problems as cars, most notable of which is the length of the refueling process (hours) instead of a few minutes for gasoline and diesel vehicles), making the car (or truck) impractical as a cross country vehicle. That time cannot be shortened, no matter what battery technology you use. This also makes them impractical for anything like a truck, train, aircraft, or ship (except sailing ships). The largest sailing ships built cannot provide the freight requirements of today, even if we were to rebuild a fleet of them.

The electrical grid requirements are another story about the electric car. Widespread use of electric cars will increase the requirements of the electrical grid and the need for stationary power stations. This will increase the need for coal and oil to power those stations. All the electric car does is transfer it's so-called 'pollution' to someplace else. It's a coal fired car.

Electric cars have have great traction in adverse conditions like snow, and they make decent commuter vehicles, but they are lousy cross country vehicles. Trucks are largely cross country or continuous driving. Trains are cross country vehicles. Cargo ships are cross ocean vehicles. Aircraft carrying freight and passengers (the modern jet) is a cross country vehicle. All of these have to pay their way with freight. Electric vehicles can't do that.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
08-12-2020 21:29
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Jealous of what? I have a pretty good understanding of science and technology, that applies to the thing I use and work with. I've no interest in spending all my free time studying, when I could be actually building something. Just finished building sort of an Airsoft turret to play with my raccoon neighbors. Have to wait on my hard drive to finish it's backup, before I can do much work on the programming. Got a hunch the physical build was the easy part. Be my first wireless project I'll have to program myself. There is already code available for much of what I need, just have to customize and add a little more. I'll be using transceiver modules, so the turret can have a motion detector to alert me. when something is in range. I'll add a wireless camera and laser pointer later. Can just use my security cameras, and sweep the general direction. I'd go full automatic, but I have cats, plus I don't want to waste pellets on false triggers. I'm not to confident with the weatherproofing. Should hold up okay to a light sprinkle, but that's not usually the case in Florida.

Those raccoons have no idea what you're cooking up for them!

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
08-12-2020 22:37
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
HarveyH55 wrote:
James___ wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Can't you just say Plug - n - Play?

Join the debate Norwegian Renewables Nazis:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The Future Of Energy Industry Is Magic Fusion Clean Coal, Not Renewables814-09-2020 23:54
Climate change kilied Norwegian vikings.901-05-2020 22:40
The Norwegian Gulf Stream404-03-2020 01:14
A web game where you operate the Power Grid and invest in Renewables117-04-2018 20:00
Bernie Sanders & Al Gore Discuss Climate Change and Renewables (July 2017)918-12-2017 23:54
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact