Remember me
▼ Content

No more economic lockdowns??

No more economic lockdowns??12-06-2020 22:49
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
Think about that for a second. If they stick to that assertion (which is in doubt), then if the virus takes off again the health statistics will be much worse. Think about the disaster that will be?

Suppose the virus is spreading, no lockdown, flu type season in the fall.

One might think of contingency plans.
Edited on 12-06-2020 23:20
12-06-2020 23:14
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(3314)
keepit wrote:
Think about that for a second. If they stick to that assertion (which is in doubt),

Who is "they"?

keepit wrote:
then if the virus takes off again

We'll see what it does. So far I only personally know two people who have contracted it (my nurse cousin and her husband). They both
had mild symptoms at most and recovered just fine. I'm not at all concerned about the rice-a-rona flu.

keepit wrote:
the health statistics will be much worse.

The "health statistics" are a complete sham.

keepit wrote:
Think about the disaster that will be?

What "disaster"? You are fear mongering again...
12-06-2020 23:18
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
gfm,
You probably think we're in danger of inflation?
12-06-2020 23:44
(3314)
keepit wrote:
gfm,
You probably think we're in danger of inflation?

There's already been inflation, and there's going to be more.
13-06-2020 00:37
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
Think of covid19 this way. Back in february the us had 15 infections or some such number. Those infections turned into 100,000 deaths and 2 million infections in just 4 months (june). When september comes around there will be many more than 2 million infections and 170,000 deaths. How many infections and deaths will those 2 million plus infections turn into as fall goes on? What's to stop it? Wishful thinking?
13-06-2020 00:49
(3314)
keepit wrote:
Think of covid19 this way. Back in february the us had 15 infections or some such number. Those infections turned into 100,000 deaths and 2 million infections in just 4 months (june). When september comes around there will be many more than 2 million infections and 170,000 deaths. How many infections and deaths will those 2 million plus infections turn into as fall goes on? What's to stop it? Wishful thinking?

The rice-a-rona flu statistics are a complete sham meant to instill fear. It is clearly working on you.
13-06-2020 01:23
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
gfm,
Not meant to instill fear. Meant to instill precautions.
13-06-2020 03:28
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
keepit wrote:

Testing? Out of 3 months of obsessive testing in Florida, only 2.59% of our 21.6 million population, has been tested, just once... The new cases reported daily, represent about 5.6% of the tests given. That's only a tiny sample of the population. Over 97% of those testing positive, do not need hospitalization, or doctor intervention. It's no different than any other cold virus, in that respect. More than 90% of the population, hasn't even been tested one time. Hospitals aren't flooding with new patients in respiratory distress. The death counts are inflated, and will be adjusted after the pandemic, just as they usually are, for any other outbreak.

Just a guess, but a whole lot of people, already had this cold virus, and recovered, just like normal. Antibody testing would have been a lot more useful, but not to the media or alarmists. The test they keep pushing, only checks to see if you are currently infected, at the time the took the sample. It would show you getting infected, while waiting to get tested, or while they took your sample. Of course, you could still get infected, anytime after giving the sample.

The CDC is optimistic about a vaccine by this Fall. It'll be risky, and experimental. I've no interest in being a lab rat, to see if a safe and effective vaccine can be thrown together in record time. I'd prefer to get my immunity naturally, 5-7 days isn't really that much of an inconvenience, likely safer too. I tend to believe a lot of people won't need the vaccine, already had it, didn't even know it. 2-3 years, a vaccine won't be needed anyway. This one seems so bad, because China exported it around the world, on commercial flights, for a minimum of 2 months. no one knew they were carriers, because it's just a cold, and it was the normal, for cold and flu season. The virus had a lot of help spreading quickly, and was well dispersed, before anyone knew there was a new and scary bug to worry about.

I doubt we will do another shutdown, turned out worse than catching a cold, and didn't really have the dramatic effect as prophesied by the computer models. People will still die, and it's going to take the usual 2-3 years to normalize, and enough people immune, to inhibit spread.
13-06-2020 03:39
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
1 x 170,000= 170,000
170,000 x 170,000 = 23,600,000,000
23,600,000,000 x 1% (death rate) = 236,000,000 = almost the total population of the us.

This isn't precisely sound thinking but it's just to get the idea across. It may be subtle.

Another way to think of it - if almost everyone in the us became infected, then somewhere in the range of 3 million would die.
Edited on 13-06-2020 03:55
13-06-2020 04:42
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14401)
keepit wrote:Another way to think of it - if almost everyone in the us became infected, then somewhere in the range of 3 million would die.

Except that the death rate from COVID-19 is 0%. Nobody dies from COVID-19. All COVID-19 deaths are deaths by some other cause specifically NOT COVID-19.

You have fallen for the hoax ... and in your embarrassment you want others to fall for it too. Misery loves company.

Attached image:

13-06-2020 05:04
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
IBD,
This is a good example of semantic arguments being useless. For example, no matter what you call the illness, or which virus you blame, or which comorbid illness you blame, if everyone were to test positive for covid19, about 3,000,000 people would die in the us.
This is not a prediction, it is just for instructional purposes.

Another example - one initial infection in the us became 2 million infections in 4 months. What is 2 million infections going to become?
Those 2 million infections are spread out across the us and will mosey on just like the first one did and then became 2 million.
Edited on 13-06-2020 05:30
13-06-2020 05:40
(14401)
keepit wrote: IBD, This is a good example of semantic arguments being useless.

Step 1. keepit says something really stupid
Step 2. someone points out that keepit said something really stupid
Step 3: keepit pouts, curls his lower lip and complains "you are just arguing semantics."

keepit, you said something really stupid (yet again), I pointed it out and now you are on Step 3.

Shut up. Please.

keepit wrote: For example, no matter what you call the illness, or which virus you blame, or which comorbid illness you blame, if everyone were to test positive for covid19, about 3,000,000 people would die in the us.

You are repeating a particular Step 1 for which you already reached Step 3.

There is no "the illness." Deaths all over the world are being attributed to COVID-19 when COVID-19 was not the cause of death, i.e. it's a scam, a hoax, a ruse ... and you have fallen for it.

If all healthy people were to get COVID-19, they would all get over it in short order, some without realizing they even had it.

If every unhealthy person were to get COVID-19 that was going to die of something, say of terminal cancer or of heart disease, upon passing, the coroner would note that the deceased, who died of something else entirely, nonetheless had COVID-19 symptoms (not even necessarily caused by COVID-19) so that the death could be classified as a "COVID death" and so the medicalal facility would receive more financial assitance per the greater number of deaths so reported. All such deaths so classified would be lumped together and packaged for gullible audiences like you who compulsively need to say stupid things.

So now you have repeated the same Step 1 about COVID-19 killing people, I have recompleted the Step 2 ... so now it's your turn to repeat this particular Step 3.

Attached image:

Edited on 13-06-2020 05:45
13-06-2020 06:05
tmiddlesProfile picture★★★★★
(3979)
IBdaMann wrote:All COVID-19 deaths are deaths by some other cause specifically NOT COVID-19.
Oh and keepit bullets don't kill people either, organ failure and blood loss do.
13-06-2020 06:24
(5197)
keepit wrote:
1 x 170,000= 170,000
170,000 x 170,000 = 23,600,000,000
23,600,000,000 x 1% (death rate) = 236,000,000 = almost the total population of the us.

This isn't precisely sound thinking but it's just to get the idea across. It may be subtle.

Another way to think of it - if almost everyone in the us became infected, then somewhere in the range of 3 million would die.

This is what is misleading, and scaring people to death. Simple math doesn't work. The majority of people dying, already had serious medical issues, and had the same sensitivity to any respiratory infection. The virus doesn't actual damage organs, it only needs cells to replicate. It's the patient's own immune response, that causes all the damage and death. Well, sometimes the doctors messing around with new treatments, that have negative effects... Infection rates, death rates, can't be calculated, until we know how many people have actually been infected. Somewhere around 97% of the people infected, have recovered. Most of them never consulted a doctor.

The math isn't really that simple, since not everyone has an equal chance of dying, if infected. Even the high-risk group, have a high recovery rate, if they seek medical help, when they first experience symptoms. For a lot of reason, usually money and insurance, people tend to wait, until they are coughing up bloodied chunks of lung tissue, before seeing a doctor. Which, is usually too late.

The data we have is kind of light, incomplete, and a little questionable. The models used, are an attempt to fill in the gaps, make some kind of sense, of the small sample. It's mostly speculation, wishful thinking, and playing a very expensive, but kind of cool video game. They change parameters, playing 'what if', and see how it plays out on the virtual population Man has been trying to look into the future, well since always. This is just the modern , digital version, of reading signs. Really no more accurate, than the gypsy woman reading palms.
13-06-2020 08:14
(3979)
HarveyH55 wrote:...not everyone has an equal chance of dying,...
True enough. This is a good link: https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

But the argument that an grandmother dying is less tragic than her granddaughter dying, when the death is avoidable, doesn't really matter to a lot of us.
13-06-2020 09:23
(14401)
tmiddles wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:All COVID-19 deaths are deaths by some other cause specifically NOT COVID-19.
Oh and keepit bullets don't kill people either, organ failure and blood loss do.

It won't work.

Death by head trauma of a man who's wife mentions had a cough before the accident gets listed as a "COVID-19 Death."

It's any death WITH COVID-19-like symptoms. Thus far, no one has died from COVID-19. They're all "with" COVID-19 ... -like symptoms.

It's a hoax, plain and simple.

Attached image:

13-06-2020 09:51
(3979)
IBdaMann wrote:
It's a hoax, ....

IBD waves his wand

You don't need evidence when you have magic!

Debunked already with evidence: link
Edited on 13-06-2020 10:10
13-06-2020 10:28
(14401)
tmiddles wrote:You don't need evidence when you have magic!

Perhaps for you and your Global Warming, but I need either science or a valid dataset.

tmiddles wrote:Debunked already with evidence:

Repeating your failed argument does not constitute evidence for your failed argument.

Otherwise we'd have plenty of "evidence" of thermal energy flowing from a cooler body to a warmer body, or that self-defense to save one's life constitutes murder, or that vast mobs looting and lynching make for peaceful protests of admirable restraint, or that we should ask ourselves why we use litter-generating plastic bottles when we could just as easily be using reusable spaghetti strainers.

Terrorist.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
Edited on 13-06-2020 10:34
13-06-2020 11:05
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
You're just not seeing it IBD.
Tmid said it best a couple of times, "the person didn't die of a gunshot would, he died of blood loss".

The numbers are hollering at us all. The curve nationwide is barely going down and the effects of reopening are just starting to take effect and there won't be another shutdown.
All i can see is disaster. I hope i'm wrong.
13-06-2020 11:14
(3979)
keepit wrote:
The numbers are hollering at us all. The curve nationwide is barely going down and the effects of reopening are just starting to take effect ....
the country has lacked competent leadership nationally on this.

In countries that shut down right they stopped it.
13-06-2020 11:28
(14401)
tmiddles wrote: In countries that shut down right they stopped it.

There is no "it" to stop. You are using meaningless buzzwords again.

There is no Global Warming for us to "correctly" address because it's a hoax.
There is no pandemic for us to "stop" because it's a hoax.

Every country that shut down was a victim of the hoax. We need leadership that won't shut down the country just because hoaxes are being perpetrated.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
13-06-2020 11:31
(14401)
tmiddles wrote: the country has lacked competent leadership nationally on this.

There's no such thing as national leadership with any real authority on this matter within the United States. That authority rests with the governors and State legislatures. If you agree with me that they have done a piss-poor job then your grievance is with them.

13-06-2020 18:17
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
IBD and ITN,
If the country totally reopens and throws away their masks and gives up social distancing what is going to stop transmission? Note that this question doesn't address the consequences of an infection, just the transmission of the covid19.
13-06-2020 18:50
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
keepit wrote:
IBD and ITN,
If the country totally reopens and throws away their masks and gives up social distancing what is going to stop transmission? Note that this question doesn't address the consequences of an infection, just the transmission of the covid19.

I think it went wrong when Dr. Fauci said that wearing a mask wouldn't help. https://www.factcheck.org/2020/05/outdated-fauci-video-on-face-masks-shared-out-of-context/
This link to factcheck even states that before April 3rd, the CDC said masks didn't help. And while that was being said, it was being said that doctors needed them.
And before this epidemic, did former President Obama, President Trump, the CDC, etc. ever say that as part of an emergency plan for a pandemic that everyone should have a 3 or 4 month supply of surgical masks? That would've been doable. Instead, the economy was shut down.
And sadly, even if a worse virus happens, many people won't care. It's more about the individual than anything else. And at the same time, people don't care if the government supports the economy because of the trade deficit.
As things stand now, if 500,000 people were to die, most wouldn't care.
Edited on 13-06-2020 18:52
13-06-2020 20:18
(14401)
keepit wrote: If the country totally reopens and throws away their masks and gives up social distancing what is going to stop transmission?

What did we do in previous years for the flu? Let's do that.

keepit wrote: Note that this question doesn't address the consequences of an infection, just the transmission of the covid19.

What happened in previous years when someone got the flu. That.

Consider your question Step 1.
Consider my response Step 2.
Your turn for Step 3.

13-06-2020 21:52
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
I'm not sure but covid19 does seem that seasonal.
13-06-2020 22:00
(14401)
keepit wrote: I'm not sure but covid19 does seem that seasonal.

That was some high-quality gibberish.

What did we do in 2017 for the flu season?

What did we do in 2012 for the flu season?

What did we do in 2008 for the flu season?

If I recall, we did the same thing in each one of those years ... and in every other year as well. Let's do THAT.

13-06-2020 22:23
(5197)
tmiddles wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:...not everyone has an equal chance of dying,...
True enough. This is a good link: https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

But the argument that an grandmother dying is less tragic than her granddaughter dying, when the death is avoidable, doesn't really matter to a lot of us.

It's a free country... If you feel safer saying in your basement, with your grandmother, have at it. Why does 97% of the population need to hide indoors with you? For the vast majority, not blessed with 'free' government money, life is a lot more than hiding at home, playing on the internet.

I committed no crime, and should be on house arrest. WE are all equally intelligent enough to decide what's safe, and how much risk we are willing to accept. You, and your democrat friends, aren't any smarter, or in anyway superior.

Personally, I don't see this virus, any differently, than any other common cold, or mild respiratory infection. I've done nothing differently, just another cold and flu season. I still haven't caught this cold, or any of the others. I learned how to live my life safely, a long time ago. Most people do, but there are some a little slower to learn, or just don't care. If you care about living, you learn, and you get out of the house, and actually live. Grandma managed to survive 70+ years, without the entire population of the planet's help, why does she need it now? How many actually expect us to hide at home, or even want us to? Most grandma's know they lived a long life, and it's coming to an end. They don't want to deny their children, and grandchildren the operatunity to enjoy life, just so they might squeeze another year or two, out of theirs. They aren't as selfish as you are...
13-06-2020 22:47
(5197)
keepit wrote:
You're just not seeing it IBD.
Tmid said it best a couple of times, "the person didn't die of a gunshot would, he died of blood loss".

The numbers are hollering at us all. The curve nationwide is barely going down and the effects of reopening are just starting to take effect and there won't be another shutdown.
All i can see is disaster. I hope i'm wrong.

It's a cold virus, it's out, and spread extensively worldwide. It's not going away. Shutting down, only delays, and stretches out the inevitable. Life sucks sometimes, people die everyday, one way or another. We could keep shutting down, everytime there is an outbreak, but by protecting grandma, and hypochondriacs (twiddles), we put a lot of other people at risk, for other deadly problems. Not to mention, Covid-19 is the only communicable disease, that causes respiratory distress, and death. The seasonal colds and flu viruses do the same thing. Only difference, is that every year, a portion of the population get infected, spread it around some, and the majority of us gain immunity, after 5-7 days. This greatly reduce the spread, and likelihood it will be spread to grandma, and other high-risk people. Covid-19 is new in the human population, and will usually take 2-3 years to get the level of immunity in the population, so it can't spread quickly. The miracle vaccine, won't really be quite as effective as promoted. Not everyone can get vaccinated, or are willing. While we are waiting for the miracle cure, hiding at home, we are also avoiding catching every other airborne contagion, which is necessary to keep their rapid spreading in check. Focusing on one virus, is ignoring the others, and there are many, just as potentially deadly for grandma.
13-06-2020 23:15
(5197)
James___ wrote:
keepit wrote:
IBD and ITN,

I think it went wrong when Dr. Fauci said that wearing a mask wouldn't help. https://www.factcheck.org/2020/05/outdated-fauci-video-on-face-masks-shared-out-of-context/
This link to factcheck even states that before April 3rd, the CDC said masks didn't help. And while that was being said, it was being said that doctors needed them.
And before this epidemic, did former President Obama, President Trump, the CDC, etc. ever say that as part of an emergency plan for a pandemic that everyone should have a 3 or 4 month supply of surgical masks? That would've been doable. Instead, the economy was shut down.
And sadly, even if a worse virus happens, many people won't care. It's more about the individual than anything else. And at the same time, people don't care if the government supports the economy because of the trade deficit.
As things stand now, if 500,000 people were to die, most wouldn't care.

We've had pandemics in the past. I don't recall any response to any of them, being anything like this. There was no recommendation that everyone where masks, or keep a supply handy at all times, for any future pandemics. They don't expire, you could keep a box of masks on a shelf for decades.

Health care workers, are in close proximity to patients, often making physical contact with them. Most everyone else don't get that intimate, with people they don't know and trust. Masks aren't perfect protection, but do reduce transmission, in some environments. Outside the medical environment, they are basically useless, and more of a feel-good protection (psychological). Most people don't change or sanitize their mask regularly (several times a day). Someone coughs, sneezes or sprays directly in your face. You might not breath it in, but your eyes are still a path to infection. Not to mention, your mask would be saturated, and need to be changed immediately. We need to eat, we need to stay hydrated. Which means everyone wearing a mask, will remove them briefly, several times a day. Do they all put on fresh, sanitized masks each time? Do they wash or sanitize their hands, every time they touch that filthy mask?

How many people die each year, total, any cause? There is no immortality, we are all going to die someday. Some people accept reality easier than others. Some are in complete denial. I figure on getting another 30-40 years out of my life, if someone doesn't speed the clock up on me. No guaranties for any life, could end at any time, for many reasons, no matter how hard we fight it. We all have just a limited number of years to live. Hiding in the basement bunker, isn't living, and a pitiful way to spend what little time we do have left. Every shutdown, is time we don't get back, just wasted, waiting, needlessly for most. 500,000 people is small, compared to the 7 billion people, who have nothing to worry about, except maybe paying for grandma's funeral, a couple years sooner. How can we pay for a decent funeral, when we have no paycheck, and the government handout, barely keeps a roof over our family's head, and food on the table?
13-06-2020 23:22
(5197)
keepit wrote:
I'm not sure but covid19 does seem that seasonal.

Nobody is completely sure if it'll be seasonal, only been about 6 months, ravishing the population on it's first run. Most viruses new to the human population, take 2-3 years to settle down, even with a vaccine. It's not been out long enough to determine how quickly it mutates, into equally viable strains. Mutations are almost always fatal (to the virus). Viruses replicate rapidly, and there are a lot of variations, that don't survive, to reproduce copies, and spread.

We are really much better off, letting nature do it's thing. Fighting it, just makes it take longer, and allow more people to die.
13-06-2020 23:29
keepit
★★★★★
(3058)
I meant to say that it doesn't seem to be seasonal. Sorry.
14-06-2020 00:25
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21596)
keepit wrote:
I meant to say that it doesn't seem to be seasonal. Sorry.

It is. It's election seasonal.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
15-06-2020 02:23
(3314)
IBdaMann wrote:
keepit wrote: I'm not sure but covid19 does seem that seasonal.

That was some high-quality gibberish.

What did we do in 2017 for the flu season?

What did we do in 2012 for the flu season?

What did we do in 2008 for the flu season?

If I recall, we did the same thing in each one of those years ... and in every other year as well. Let's do THAT.

I agree. THAT'S what we should be doing. It obviously worked for all of those years. Why "fix" what isn't broken, right?

Join the debate No more economic lockdowns??:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Offshore wind projects face economic storm. Cancellations jeopardize Biden clean energy goals705-11-2023 20:41
White House ridiculed for defending Biden's economic record as 'incredibly popular:' 'Wit028-06-2023 12:33
economic output emissions intensity vs global emissions / global GDP9220-11-2022 23:16
How The New Global World Economic Financial System Will Be130-07-2022 19:47
The Savior Ultimate Solution For The Global Economic System Is Using 2 Type Of Energy Exchange Paper127-06-2021 17:36
Articles
Appendix B - Calculating The Economic Costs of Extreme Weather Events
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact