Remember me
▼ Content

Net Metering


Net Metering09-12-2020 22:29
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(3352)
https://www.wftv.com/news/local/orlando-residents-officials-raise-concern-over-possible-changes-solar-energy-metering/5HF2DJHTOFBENP53AWM24U6XYQ/

ORLANDO, Fla. — Some locals are expressing concerns that parts of a newly approved Orlando Utilities Commission plan could hurt incentives for people getting solar panels.
OUC just approved a plan to significantly reduce the use of coal to make electricity. They are starting with converting coal-fired plants to natural gas, but ultimately the goal is net-zero carbon emissions.

People who have solar panels generate power during the day when the sun is shining and earn credits that they can use for electricity at night.

They're worried OUC could get rid of that net metering option.
"OUC's plan to do away with net metering will kill solar viability for people like us," Orlando City Commissioner Patty Sheehan said.
READ: OUC half marathon on Saturday is the first in-person race in Orlando since the pandemic began
Sheehan, who has solar panels, blasted OUC in Monday's city commission meeting, saying it would discourage people from converting to the clean energy.
State Rep. Anna Eskamani sent a letter expressing similar concerns, stating, "These concerns make it clear that more public engagement is needed."


Basically, OUC is pulling out of one of the incentives, that got a lot of people to use their Obama incentives, to install grid-tied solar panels, instead of stand-alone systems. Might get worse than they think, since their solar production goes straight to the grid, and their bill is offset by the amount produced. Some new arrangement will need to be made, some system changes, different meter. Otherwise, OUC would just be getting free energy, and the homeowner would go back to paying the full bill, and get no benefit from the solar panels. The grid-tie option, was the cheapest, and simplest offered, since the home just uses power off the grid, uninterrupted. Not sure what OUC has planned, but it's likely they will get a lot of free electricity for a while anyway. I don't think too many people will go to the expense of changing over to stand-alone. The solar panels on the roof, aren't likely to provide uninterrupted service, everyday, so they stay on the grid. OUC will probably have to offer some payment for the power produced, but not likely much.
09-12-2020 22:37
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(2029)
HarveyH55 wrote:
https://www.wftv.com/news/local/orlando-residents-officials-raise-concern-over-possible-changes-solar-energy-metering/5HF2DJHTOFBENP53AWM24U6XYQ/

ORLANDO, Fla. — Some locals are expressing concerns that parts of a newly approved Orlando Utilities Commission plan could hurt incentives for people getting solar panels.
OUC just approved a plan to significantly reduce the use of coal to make electricity. They are starting with converting coal-fired plants to natural gas, but ultimately the goal is net-zero carbon emissions.

People who have solar panels generate power during the day when the sun is shining and earn credits that they can use for electricity at night.

They're worried OUC could get rid of that net metering option.
"OUC's plan to do away with net metering will kill solar viability for people like us," Orlando City Commissioner Patty Sheehan said.
READ: OUC half marathon on Saturday is the first in-person race in Orlando since the pandemic began
Sheehan, who has solar panels, blasted OUC in Monday's city commission meeting, saying it would discourage people from converting to the clean energy.
State Rep. Anna Eskamani sent a letter expressing similar concerns, stating, "These concerns make it clear that more public engagement is needed."


Basically, OUC is pulling out of one of the incentives, that got a lot of people to use their Obama incentives, to install grid-tied solar panels, instead of stand-alone systems. Might get worse than they think, since their solar production goes straight to the grid, and their bill is offset by the amount produced. Some new arrangement will need to be made, some system changes, different meter. Otherwise, OUC would just be getting free energy, and the homeowner would go back to paying the full bill, and get no benefit from the solar panels. The grid-tie option, was the cheapest, and simplest offered, since the home just uses power off the grid, uninterrupted. Not sure what OUC has planned, but it's likely they will get a lot of free electricity for a while anyway. I don't think too many people will go to the expense of changing over to stand-alone. The solar panels on the roof, aren't likely to provide uninterrupted service, everyday, so they stay on the grid. OUC will probably have to offer some payment for the power produced, but not likely much.

Wow... that's unfortunate.

I just wonder how the "net-zero carbon" people expect to power their infrastructure overhaul plans... The sun and wind alone can't do it. Heck, the SOTC currently can't even "keep the lights on" for their citizens the way it is...
09-12-2020 23:06
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(3352)
My guess is there was an Obama subsidy tied to the net metering scheme, that just ran out, or will shortly, leaving OUC to pick up the full cost. Solar panels are only feeding the grid, during low demand, and much probably goes to waste, which the government doesn't mind paying for.
10-12-2020 00:24
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(2029)
HarveyH55 wrote:
My guess is there was an Obama subsidy tied to the net metering scheme, that just ran out, or will shortly, leaving OUC to pick up the full cost. Solar panels are only feeding the grid, during low demand, and much probably goes to waste, which the government doesn't mind paying for.

Probably. I am not up to date on such matters, however. Others would know better than me.
10-12-2020 02:06
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(3352)
gfm7175 wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
My guess is there was an Obama subsidy tied to the net metering scheme, that just ran out, or will shortly, leaving OUC to pick up the full cost. Solar panels are only feeding the grid, during low demand, and much probably goes to waste, which the government doesn't mind paying for.

Probably. I am not up to date on such matters, however. Others would know better than me.


I don't know all the details either, but will probably get regular updates with my electric bill, as this thing progresses. I didn't buy the marketing hype, and knew it was a poor investment, even with all the rebates and tax credits offered at the time. I just didn't see the savings, or doing better, than maybe breaking even. Of course, on good hurricane could have totally messed up the panels, and my roof. Not sure how much of an home insurance hike, or if they would cover such an event, at a reasonable cost.

I don't think OUC will lose money, regardless. Either screw over the 'greeners', or raise rates to cover the waste.
10-12-2020 02:32
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(15459)
gfm7175 wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
https://www.wftv.com/news/local/orlando-residents-officials-raise-concern-over-possible-changes-solar-energy-metering/5HF2DJHTOFBENP53AWM24U6XYQ/

ORLANDO, Fla. — Some locals are expressing concerns that parts of a newly approved Orlando Utilities Commission plan could hurt incentives for people getting solar panels.
OUC just approved a plan to significantly reduce the use of coal to make electricity. They are starting with converting coal-fired plants to natural gas, but ultimately the goal is net-zero carbon emissions.

People who have solar panels generate power during the day when the sun is shining and earn credits that they can use for electricity at night.

They're worried OUC could get rid of that net metering option.
"OUC's plan to do away with net metering will kill solar viability for people like us," Orlando City Commissioner Patty Sheehan said.
READ: OUC half marathon on Saturday is the first in-person race in Orlando since the pandemic began
Sheehan, who has solar panels, blasted OUC in Monday's city commission meeting, saying it would discourage people from converting to the clean energy.
State Rep. Anna Eskamani sent a letter expressing similar concerns, stating, "These concerns make it clear that more public engagement is needed."


Basically, OUC is pulling out of one of the incentives, that got a lot of people to use their Obama incentives, to install grid-tied solar panels, instead of stand-alone systems. Might get worse than they think, since their solar production goes straight to the grid, and their bill is offset by the amount produced. Some new arrangement will need to be made, some system changes, different meter. Otherwise, OUC would just be getting free energy, and the homeowner would go back to paying the full bill, and get no benefit from the solar panels. The grid-tie option, was the cheapest, and simplest offered, since the home just uses power off the grid, uninterrupted. Not sure what OUC has planned, but it's likely they will get a lot of free electricity for a while anyway. I don't think too many people will go to the expense of changing over to stand-alone. The solar panels on the roof, aren't likely to provide uninterrupted service, everyday, so they stay on the grid. OUC will probably have to offer some payment for the power produced, but not likely much.

Wow... that's unfortunate.

No, this is a good thing. It means OUC will not be required to buy the most expensive power source. They can go back to using the cheapest means to produce power, thus lowering electrical costs for everyone.
gfm7175 wrote:
I just wonder how the "net-zero carbon" people expect to power their infrastructure overhaul plans... The sun and wind alone can't do it. Heck, the SOTC currently can't even "keep the lights on" for their citizens the way it is...

Very true. The SOTC imports a lot power from Nevada, Utah, Oregon, and Washington. They import more power than any other territory or any State. I say we should not allow them to import power anymore. Cut 'em off. They can generate their own power, if they have a mind to.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan
10-12-2020 02:33
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(15459)
HarveyH55 wrote:
I don't think OUC will lose money, regardless. Either screw over the 'greeners', or raise rates to cover the waste.


That's exactly how it works.


The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan
10-12-2020 14:37
gfm7175Profile picture★★★★★
(2029)
Into the Night wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
https://www.wftv.com/news/local/orlando-residents-officials-raise-concern-over-possible-changes-solar-energy-metering/5HF2DJHTOFBENP53AWM24U6XYQ/

ORLANDO, Fla. — Some locals are expressing concerns that parts of a newly approved Orlando Utilities Commission plan could hurt incentives for people getting solar panels.
OUC just approved a plan to significantly reduce the use of coal to make electricity. They are starting with converting coal-fired plants to natural gas, but ultimately the goal is net-zero carbon emissions.

People who have solar panels generate power during the day when the sun is shining and earn credits that they can use for electricity at night.

They're worried OUC could get rid of that net metering option.
"OUC's plan to do away with net metering will kill solar viability for people like us," Orlando City Commissioner Patty Sheehan said.
READ: OUC half marathon on Saturday is the first in-person race in Orlando since the pandemic began
Sheehan, who has solar panels, blasted OUC in Monday's city commission meeting, saying it would discourage people from converting to the clean energy.
State Rep. Anna Eskamani sent a letter expressing similar concerns, stating, "These concerns make it clear that more public engagement is needed."


Basically, OUC is pulling out of one of the incentives, that got a lot of people to use their Obama incentives, to install grid-tied solar panels, instead of stand-alone systems. Might get worse than they think, since their solar production goes straight to the grid, and their bill is offset by the amount produced. Some new arrangement will need to be made, some system changes, different meter. Otherwise, OUC would just be getting free energy, and the homeowner would go back to paying the full bill, and get no benefit from the solar panels. The grid-tie option, was the cheapest, and simplest offered, since the home just uses power off the grid, uninterrupted. Not sure what OUC has planned, but it's likely they will get a lot of free electricity for a while anyway. I don't think too many people will go to the expense of changing over to stand-alone. The solar panels on the roof, aren't likely to provide uninterrupted service, everyday, so they stay on the grid. OUC will probably have to offer some payment for the power produced, but not likely much.

Wow... that's unfortunate.

No, this is a good thing. It means OUC will not be required to buy the most expensive power source. They can go back to using the cheapest means to produce power, thus lowering electrical costs for everyone.

True. I was only thinking about the ones who bought into the grid-tied solar... but I suppose that even they will eventually benefit from it as well.

Into the Night wrote:
gfm7175 wrote:
I just wonder how the "net-zero carbon" people expect to power their infrastructure overhaul plans... The sun and wind alone can't do it. Heck, the SOTC currently can't even "keep the lights on" for their citizens the way it is...

Very true. The SOTC imports a lot power from Nevada, Utah, Oregon, and Washington. They import more power than any other territory or any State. I say we should not allow them to import power anymore. Cut 'em off. They can generate their own power, if they have a mind to.

I agree. If the SOTC wishes to be their own country, then they can provide their own power for their citizens. Why should the USA be subsidizing them?




Join the debate Net Metering:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
https://www.waclimate.net/perth-sea-levels.html627-11-2020 01:24
NET THERMAL RADIATION : You in a room as a reference.30309-07-2020 04:02
Max Planck and Pierre Prevost on Net Thermal Radiation and Net Heat3227-09-2019 02:43
O'Rourke releases plan to fight climate change with $5 trillion investment and net-zero emissions by 029-04-2019 18:46
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know


Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact